• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

https://youtu.be/2IVeClQC3Gc

dmBGa9S.gif

Dereck

I'm listening to KMT (feat. Giggs) quite often daily these days and I noticed that I feel guilty singing along to Drake's verse.

Whether or not he took the flow that was used in Look at Me, I feel like I'm praising a flow of another man.

Drake's Orochimaru tactics seemed to work again since I'm bumping KMT constantly and Look At Me never.

tb4AFiV.gif

YOU DONT KNOW NOTHIN BOUT ME
LIFE FOR MY BRUDDAS IS DEEP
LONG AS THEY ALL ON THEY FEET
LONG AS THEY POCKETS IS GREAZE (GREAZE!)
.......IM IN THE PENTHOUSE BUT STILL NOTHIN IS SUITE

Koozek

I'm listening to KMT (feat. Giggs) quite often daily these days and I noticed that I feel guilty singing along to Drake's verse.

Whether or not he took the flow that was used in Look at Me, I feel like I'm praising a flow of another man.

Drake's Orochimaru tactics seemed to work again since I'm bumping KMT constantly and Look At Me never.

tb4AFiV.gif

YOU DONT KNOW NOTHIN BOUT ME
LIFE FOR MY BRUDDAS IS DEEP
LONG AS THEY ALL ON THEY FEET
LONG AS THEY POCKETS IS GREAZE (GREAZE!)
.......IM IN THE PENTHOUSE BUT STILL NOTHIN IS SUITE
dEHz9Ud.png

frank really drops bars in his new song

also, fyi: i worked the festival that the odd future fashion show was at. tyler preformed a song there. it was incredible, dealing with him being band from countries and the response to his music, but, like, in a really mature way. he's really growing. i feel his next album gonna be killer

also, fyi: i worked the festival that the odd future fashion show was at. tyler preformed a song there. it was incredible, dealing with him being band from countries and the response to his music, but, like, in a really mature way. he's really growing. i feel his next album gonna be killer

Dude is 26, he better grow out of the shit he rapped about on Goblin (such a boring album)

Koozek

I don't understand this part. You mean "banned"? If so, is he banned from other countries? oO

Or maybe you're, you know, seeing the light? One of the greatest of our generation.

Hahaha, I was dying when I first saw that.

I don't understand this part. You mean "banned"? If so, is he banned from other countries? oO

Or maybe you're, you know, seeing the light? One of the greatest of our generation.

i think he's pretty good. nowhere near the level of someone like kendrick but he's still really talented, i just think his music lacks a unique identity. i'm definitely looking forward to his upcoming album because 'everybody' is a cool single

Koozek

Lmao, everybody is falling for my Logic trolling. The Kendrick thread on OT the other day was hilarious.

I like the dude from interviews and stuff, but the music is unremarkable. He's a decent rapper. Some nice production here and there.

Damn, didn't know. Like, banned from the whole country or just performing? What the hell did he do?

banned from entering literally because his songs have "inappropriate and offensive" content. in the song he talks about it being tied to race, which let's be honest, it is.

Moonkid

Damn, didn't know. Like, banned from the whole country or just performing? What the hell did he do?
He had his visa declined because immigration believed him to be a threat to the peace or something, cited some shit that went down at a concert years ago or one of his lyrics. Either way it's malarkey.

havent listened to Endtroducing. Thinking of lighting a j and going through it. What should I expect?

An excellent album. Why Hip-Hop Sucks in 96' still makes me laugh. Also, that Organized Konfusion sample at the beginning of Midnight In a Perfect World.

Though I think The Number Song is meh. I always skip that one.

Lmao, everybody is falling for my Logic trolling. The Kendrick thread on OT the other day was hilarious.

I like the dude from interviews and stuff, but the music is unremarkable. He's a decent rapper. Some nice production here and there.

you got me 😂

ok boys, just to clarify:

i was gonna bump it via blu tooth speaker in a park with a bunch friends. i wanted to know if it was something that people could bump to or if it was more of a solo listening experience

listened to old lil wayne and XO Tour Llif4

"As a young'un, dumb and gun in the waist
Sold crack to those who couldn't take the pain
And had to numb it with base
Couldn't drink the Henny straight, I needed somethin to chase
Nowadays I throw shots back, leavin' nothin' to waste
Life's like a treadmill, niggas runnin' in place
Gettin nowhere fast, a whole year done past
I vowed to never stop winnin', 'til the earth stop spinnin'
Rock hot linen, cop hot cars and hot women..." - Jay Z

Edit: Also, I'm just not able to get into Black Thought's rapping, but I feel like I may be able to if I just spin The Roots album's more, I've had to do that with a lot of my favorites (even Jay when I first listened to him), what would ya'll say his top five verses are?

Dereck

Black Thought ought to put out a solo project.

I reckon that's the biggest thing holding him back from being on anyone's list or from being really noteworthy

Black Thought ought to put out a solo project.

I reckon that's the biggest thing holding him back from being on anyone's list or from being really noteworthy
Really?
I see him in top fives all of the time, that's one of the reasons why I'm trying to get into him.

illadelph

What would a Black Thought solo album accomplish? Just a way to hear him over different beats? He's been the main MC since the very beginning of the group; it's not like we're at a shortage of verses from him.

If anything, I think most rappers would actually be better off as members of a larger group. That was the norm at the beginning of the culture/genre, and for a good reason. There are rappers who put out 80-minute solo projects, and they just can't hold your interest for that long. Almost everybody has to litter their shit with a thousand guest features. Instead of featuring a bunch of dudes for some one-and-done verses, it would be better to link up with a couple of other artists who compliment your style, build some real creative chemistry, and make a dope, cohesive album. This also goes for the production side of things.

Everybody wants to be the Hollywood guy, the special snowflake solo star that shines alone in the sky. Groups/duos should be the standard for hip-hop, but they pretty much disappeared. We need more Roots albums, more Tribe-type shit like the best album of 2016, and more collectives who don't try to pull off the Wu-Tang move of spinning off into solo projects without skipping the important step of putting out their own 36 Chambers.

What would a Black Thought solo album accomplish? Just a way to hear him over different beats? He's been the main MC since the very beginning of the group; it's not like we're at a shortage of verses from him.

If anything, I think most rappers would actually be better off as members of a larger group. That was the norm at the beginning of the culture/genre, and for a good reason. There are rappers who put out 80-minute solo projects, and they just can't hold your interest for that long. Almost everybody has to litter their shit with a thousand guest features. Instead of featuring a bunch of dudes for some one-and-done verses, it would be better to link up with a couple of other artists who compliment your style, build some real creative chemistry, and make a dope, cohesive album. This also goes for the production side of things.

Everybody wants to be the Hollywood guy, the special snowflake solo star that shines alone in the sky. Groups/duos should be the standard for hip-hop, but they pretty much disappeared. We need more Roots albums, more Tribe-type shit like the best album of 2016, and more collectives who don't try to pull off the Wu-Tang move of spinning off into solo projects without skipping the important step of putting out their own 36 Chambers.
So more Migos?

Koozek

Now that I've started watching Broad City (so good!) recently I went to check out Hannibal Buress' stand-up on Netflix. Dude's funny.

HiResDes

Now that I've started watching Broad City (so good!) recently I went to check out Hannibal Buress' stand-up on Netflix. Dude's funny.
Go see him his last stand up show is better than anything he's done, and I laughed harder than I laughed at anything since For What It's Worth

Dereck

Not a fan, but imagine how much worse they would be if it were only one of them. Some people praise Quavo's features, but that's the thing: they're just features. There're usually two other rappers on one of those tracks.
Some rappers are better in a duo/group dynamic.

Doing features is still a rapper rapping in the company of someone else.

FZZ

Banned
The amount of people bumping XO Tour Llif3 is insane

This song fucking goes

Xanny off the brain yeah

Pleaaaaase Xanny make it goo

I DONT REALLY CARE IF YOU CRYYYYY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom