• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eos

nah fr fr

beats are weak and on every track andre 3k is on some lyrical myrical nonsense. Like, just float on the beat, he's doing way too much.

I mean, i get that outkast are legends and people have to pretend to like them in 2016 but Sir Lucious Left Foot is better than any outkast album.

almost like kendrick on his features this year
mjgrin.png

This thread certainly isn't as controversial and intimidating and super active as it used to be- we're basically in our Drake phase- but we still got each other.

Family. La familia.

And I'd jump off the roof of my car across a freeway to save all.... most... some of you. The Fate of Gaf Hop.

I'll choose to blame these feeling on the time of the year. All our dark souls struggling to cope with Christmas, lashing out at our friends.

At our family.
At our la familia.
That's oddly sweet. As self-hating as most of us are in this thread, I'd rather have Psych's hot-takes and Andrew's stream-of-consciousness posts than nothing at all. This thread is really one of the only reasons I post on GAF, and I enjoy discussing new projects with people. Plus, the recommendations people post here are dope as hell, like that Abra EP Cheddahz posted earlier. I like this community.
low key atliens is trash
high key your mama trash

keep ATLiens name out ya mouth
c20447790fac4ad9999b16024a368617.320x240x158.gif

T Dollarz

Damn, I just realized that Mind of a Gemini was something that Deniro put out this year. I think I remember hearing about it dropping, but it must have slipped by me. How does it stack up with his previous work? I enjoyed Cliff of Death 2 last year, but it was no top 10 album like The Patriarch.

Bishman

Ab-Soul DWTW gets better and better with each listen.

Make sure you listen with some good headphones or sound system. The mixing and mastering is top notch!

Kwixotik

Random question, but how do you guys go about managing your gaming backlogs? Mine is so daunting it makes me want to game less...
Just don't treat games like a to do list. I mean, I've got a lot of games I know I'd like to play but that doesn't mean I'm going to make myself play all of them. Don't turn your fun time into a chore.

I usually have one or two single player games and a multi-player game in my rotation at any given time and then when I'm close to beating one of the single player games I decide which one I'm gonna replace it with.

Also helps to not really care what the latest and greatest game of the week is. See what sticks before going out and buying shit. If people are still talking about it 6 months down the line, it might be worth picking up when you've got a free spot on your rotation.

Random question, but how do you guys go about managing your gaming backlogs? Mine is so daunting it makes me want to game less...
I just play one game till I get bored then switch to another. It's a stupid way of playing games, but I enjoy it more. I have so many games I need to finish, but never do because I get stuck or lose interest.

Dereck

If you want to play a game, play it.

If you don't, stop playing.

If a game is not fun, stop playing it, never look back. Don't have backlogs.

Never be in a rush to play a game just because it's currently hot, play it when you have time and the opportunity. Don't buy any game that you can't immediately spend time on. Don't buy a new game if you have another game you just bought and want to play, but haven't yet.

Play games for you.

Never be in a rush to play a game just because it's currently hot, play it when you have time and the opportunity. Don't buy any game that you can't immediately spend time on. Don't buy a new game if you have another game you just bought and want to play, but haven't yet.

Play games for you.

Sage advice. In particular your second advice. I've bought games before used that I returned after playing them for a couple hours. I really don't have a backlog, either.

These are my hard rules. Once I get bored with a game or it can't hold me for whatever the reason (even if I liked it), I drop it and don't look back. My backlog is a cemetery.

Ninja Dom

With PhoenixDark gone who's left to pontificate on the quality of Kendrick Lamar's stroke game? Now that I think of it, he's probably lacking in that regard.

Her body got that ass that a ruler couldn't measure
and it make me cum fast, but I never get embarrassed

KRrhc7T.png

I climax where you begin and then I end on cloud 9
KRrhc7T.png

He has a clear predilection for cunnilingus though, which sort of makes up for it.

Yeah PD would start some good discussions.

The OGs of the this thread have either moved on or post ninety percent less. These are the guys that could start a massive heated discussion that could span tens of pages with subsequent follow up potential. Mods got rid of the posters that posed as controversial figures who in turn also helped spark a lot of discussion and interest. This thread is a hollow callous shell of its former self.

The other service was the killing blow

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
The OGs of the this thread have either moved on or post ninety percent less. These are the guys that could start a massive heated discussion that could span tens of pages with subsequent follow up potential. Mods got rid of the posters that posed as controversial figures who in turn also helped spark a lot of discussion and interest. This thread is a hollow callous shell of its former self.
I've been thinking about the atmosphere in this thread for a while but I haven't commented on it as I'm a relative newcomer and mostly a lurker, so I didn't feel it was my place to say. But as it's being talked about, I may as well share.

I like to keep up with this thread to see recommendations for new music, but I never feel much desire to talk about anything in depth as the style of discussion here seems to be more interested in shutting someone down with a dismissive one liner or gif than engaging with them. Perhaps because it's a hip-hop thread people feel they should have a more aggressive attitude? Which should be a part of it, in a positively confrontational, passionate, back-and-forth, but instead I more frequently see a hostile denial of depth.

I feel like if I was to put time and thought into writing about a topic, I'd mostly just get a bunch of single word/sentence replies and memes. So while I appreciate this thread, and especially the imminent AOTY votes which brings out real effort from the community, I don't see it as a thriving forum for discussion.

But maybe it's my own fault as well for not engaging with the sort of depth that I want to see in the thread. It's hypocritical for me to complain about a lack of effort when I'm not putting it in myself. But either way, those are my thoughts on the thread, everyone please meme me to death now.

PlayDat

Why is the last song on We Got it From Here Thank You 4 Your Service titled “The Donald”? I’m tempted to relate it to the US president elect due to the album’s release being so close to the election, but it isn’t a political song. There is at least one explicit reference to Trump on the album by Phife in Conrad Tokyo. The Tribe has a history of incorporating social commentary into their lyrics so it’s not a huge stretch to believe his possible election was on their minds while they were recording. There’s no way they settled on that name, mastered, and recorded most of the song in the roughly two weeks between the album’s announcement and release. Throughout the song there are audio clips of someone saying “Donald” that sort of sound like they’re from a newscast (but again, I could be imagining that because Trump has become embedded in the public consciousness at this point). If Clinton had won the track title would have seemed even weirder.

There’s a very good chance that I’m overcomplicating this. Phife refers to himself as Don Juice in his verse. He did the same in his guest verse on Push It Along last year. He’s probably just presenting himself as a Don Juan type of figure. Maybe the group meant it say “Regardless of what happens on the 8th, Phife Dawg will always be ‘The Donald’ to us”?

Why is the last song on We Got it From Here Thank You 4 Your Service titled “The Donald”? I’m tempted to relate it to the US president elect due to the album’s release being so close to the election, but it isn’t a political song. There is at least one explicit reference to Trump on the album by Phife in Conrad Tokyo. The Tribe has a history of incorporating social commentary into their lyrics so it’s not a huge stretch to believe his possible election was on their minds while they were recording. There’s no way they settled on that name, mastered, and recorded most of the song in the roughly two weeks between the album’s announcement and release. Throughout the song there are audio clips of someone saying “Donald” that sort of sound like they’re from a newscast (but again, I could be imagining that because Trump has become embedded in the public consciousness at this point). If Clinton had won the track title would have seemed even weirder.

There’s a very good chance that I’m overcomplicating this. Phife refers to himself as Don Juice in his verse. He did the same in his guest verse on Push It Along last year. He’s probably just presenting himself as a Don Juan type of figure. Maybe the group meant it say “Regardless of what happens on the 8th, Phife Dawg will always be ‘The Donald’ to us”?

Yeah, it's a tribute to Phife.

FZZ

Banned
I mean that's been known

Here lemme get this thread ignited

Freddie Gibbs is certified forgettable booty for people who think they real but really just vicariously live their lives imagining they in The Wire

IrishNinja

ok

its time to end GAF-Hop

nobody make the next OT

+1

i use backloggery

pick a game, play it

buy less games

this works too

Yeah PD would start some good discussions.

still does, just not here
5I5s8.png

Snoop Dogg is over-rated ,maybe this will make the thread alive.

the man hasn't worked since like doggfather, this is the safest opinion out there

I mean that's been known

Here lemme get this thread ignited

Freddie Gibbs is certified forgettable booty for people who think they real but really just vicariously live their lives imagining they in The Wire

..pinata tho

all the non-black people in this thread ruined gaf-hop

golden era of gafhop was highly CAC concentrated tho #staywoke
also fam u could be an exotic blend of eskimo samoan and part forgotten island off the coast of sri lanka that only appears during a full moon and ur views would still be asscheeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom