• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayDat

Need recommendations. I've been out of hip-hop for years. Anything out there with soulful beats/samples? The last album I partially listened to was Larry June's Orange Season EP. Should give an example of the kind of beats I like. Thanks!

Chance the Rapper - Coloring Book
Noname - Telefone
Oddisee - Alwasta
Audio Push - Inside the Vibe
Saba - ComfortZone (he also has a new album this year called Bucket List Project)

Not really rap, but have been discussed here.
Jamila Woods - HEAVN
Anderson .Paak - Malibu
Childish Gambino - Awaken, My Love

Eos

So what are some of everyone's favourite trap songs of the year? You can list as many as you want, but here's my top five (put links to the songs if you can):

Gucci Mane- Last Time ft. Travis Scott: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42Amfo4YN8c&ab_channel=OfficialGucciMane

Migos- Bad and Boujee ft. Lil Uzi Vert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVOS_lzgEpQ&ab_channel=QualityControlMusic

Lil Yachty- First M Freestyle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLKwEb40taU&ab_channel=WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Meek Mill- Offended ft. Young Thug, 21 21 21 21: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BY1JskghPs&ab_channel=MeekMillTV

Future- Too Much Sauce ft. Lil Uzi Vert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQUmyi8ewjU&ab_channel=MuzikStation

I enjoy the mumble rap and repetitive beats/flows.

travis scott & thug - yeah yeah
gucci & future - selling heroin
future - married to the game
meek mill - litty feat. tory lanez
a$ap mob - yamborghini high feat. juicy j
french montana - lockjaw feat. kodak black
some of my favourites of this year

Eos

pitchfork top 50

http://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/9980-the-50-best-albums-of-2016/?page=1

solange #1.

Chance the preacher's garbage LP isn't top 100 this year btw

pitchfork
scusthov.gif

Koozek

We can keep GAF-Hop alive forever through the Power of Friendship™. Seriously, though, I love and absolutely need this place for recommendations. You guys heavily informed my AOTY lists in the last 2 years and I highly appreciate it. My list this year is pretty much 80% stuff that Des rec'd.

low key atliens is trash
nah fr fr

beats are weak and on every track andre 3k is on some lyrical myrical nonsense. Like, just float on the beat, he's doing way too much.

I mean, i get that outkast are legends and people have to pretend to like them in 2016 but Sir Lucious Left Foot is better than any outkast album.
Okay, nah, fuck GAF-Hop.

Also, Stankonia Top 3 Outkast. Y'all buggin'.

---

Speaking of which....where the fuck is Koozek?
Brother Koozek is lost in that Japanese boyband simulator they released for PS4
I'm back, brehs. Stayed away from GAF since release. Finished it a few days ago. Gonna post my impressions later today. In short: good, fun game with big narrative flaws that hold it back from being amazing.

Final Fantasy came out

dude is probably passed out from beating his meat so much
You'll have the time to do the same now
sass2.png

---

Whew, sounds different. Funky.

---

Dude, go listen to Hamza's album, right now. Became my AOTY over the last months and it's still on heavy rotatioin. My first French(/Belgian) Rap album.

Hamza - Zombie Life
https://play.spotify.com/track/5sgJQWEF4te8rt4MTz0EJA

And last year's mixtape where La Sauce, which you posted, is on:

Hamza - H-24
https://play.spotify.com/album/5AwWzveaqlZHWC1MgxcShq

gf3MhPU.gif
gf3MhPU.gif
gf3MhPU.gif

---

Need recommendations. I've been out of hip-hop for years. Anything out there with soulful beats/samples? The last album I partially listened to was Larry June's Orange Season EP. Should give an example of the kind of beats I like. Thanks!
Yo, that Larry June is nice. Thanks!
Hm, you might find something you like in my AOTY list (the bolded ones):

---

I've been thinking about the atmosphere in this thread for a while but I haven't commented on it as I'm a relative newcomer and mostly a lurker, so I didn't feel it was my place to say. But as it's being talked about, I may as well share.

I like to keep up with this thread to see recommendations for new music, but I never feel much desire to talk about anything in depth as the style of discussion here seems to be more interested in shutting someone down with a dismissive one liner or gif than engaging with them. Perhaps because it's a hip-hop thread people feel they should have a more aggressive attitude? Which should be a part of it, in a positively confrontational, passionate, back-and-forth, but instead I maore frequently see a hostile denial of depth.

I feel like if I was to put time and thought into writing about a topic, I'd mostly just get a bunch of single word/sentence replies and memes. So while I appreciate this thread, and especially the imminent AOTY votes which brings out real effort from the community, I don't see it as a thriving forum for discussion.

But maybe it's my own fault as well for not engaging with the sort of depth that I want to see in the thread. It's hypocritical for me to complain about a lack of effort when I'm not putting it in myself. But either way, those are my thoughts on the thread, everyone please meme me to death now.
L
O
L

Nice, deep discussions are fun, of course, but I honestly always liked this place because it's not as serious and you can loosen up compared to other paces on GAF where you try to be level-minded and reasonable.

Cerity

brehs, this soulo album. Someone tell top to throw him back into the basement. All these nice beats that suit him perfectly but then you get lines like

Put my thumb up in her butt then roll like a was bowling

and

I'm from another galaxy, I'm actually an android, Look me up on your galaxies and your androids

Also this cole album, jack someone elses beat and do it worse.

Hitta93

Banned
I want to apologize for saying Views was top 10. I honestly don't even go back to that album outside of like 2-3 tracks tops.

Also A Seat at the Table has to be some legendary shit for it to be ranked #1 by Pitchfork.

Listening to some of Cole's old mixtape stuff

Wow

He's literally the exact same rapper. Pretty much the same production too. That's actuakky impressive that he hasnt evolved at all.

Like, wow.

OG Kush

Hamza zombie life definitely has some bangers on it. Boiler room has a French DJ hip hop set last night it was lit was, was shazaming bare tunes on my phone. Got Dem new Frenchies stacked up.

Nephilim

Banned
Lupe Fiasco has been wildin out. Sound cloud took down a quick track he did cause he said something about jews. It was a diss at Jcole. He put his twitter on private again but I caught him saying hes cancelling his albums lol. Sorry if mentioned already

Lupe Fiasco has been wildin out. Sound cloud took down a quick track he did cause he said something about jews. It was a diss at Jcole. He put his twitter on private again but I caught him saying hes cancelling his albums lol. Sorry if mentioned already

Who cares what this tinfoil hat is up to these days?

*looks a few posts back to see you wow'ing at kanyes pics*
Is that a Rita Ora avatar? When was the last time she was even relevant?

Anyway, I thought Lupe was releasing 3 albums this year and only recently """decided""" to push it back to 2017 or something. The man just loves to announce projects.

Nephilim

Banned
Is that a Rita Ora avatar? When was the last time she was even relevant?

Anyway, I thought Lupe was releasing 3 albums this year and only recently """decided""" to push it back to 2017 or something. The man just loves to announce projects.

Yeah its her. Im not a fan of her music, shes just bae. *shrugs*

and idk, I know hes on tour now. I went to his show couple weeks ago. Bill Murray was there.

PBY

Banned
Honestly

Ppl asking why this thread slowed down

This year has just broken me. Just exhausted.

Like what is there even to say about ye

Honestly

Ppl asking why this thread slowed down

This year has just broken me. Just exhausted.

Like what is there even to say about ye
Bill Cosby Innocent!!!!!

And now this.

Separating an artist from their art is fine and all, but fucking hell if Kanye isn't making it hard right now. If TG-16 has even one mention of Trump in a positive manner on it, I'm out. It's one thing to be trapped in a bubble, it's another entirely to do so and refuse to see how your support of a man can impact the lives of so many of your fans.

In the immortal words of Pusha T, "Fuck...Ye, Fuck...ye, I wouldn't piss on that nigga with Grand Marnier."

sup with yall buggin about the relevancy of people in avatars?
I was just asking because it's been a very long time since I've seen one champion Rita Ora.

thabiz was asking me because that's what he/she/it/they like to do? Fuck with people or drive them away from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom