• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koozek

Bill Cosby Innocent!!!!!

And now this.

Separating an artist from their art is fine and all, but fucking hell if Kanye isn't making it hard right now. If TG-16 has even one mention of Trump in a positive manner on it, I'm out. It's one thing to be trapped in a bubble, it's another entirely to do so and refuse to see how your support of a man can impact the lives of so many of your fans.

In the immortal words of Pusha T, "Fuck...Ye, Fuck...ye, I wouldn't piss on that nigga with Grand Marnier."
???

Eos

CzkIF85WQAAZ6Vj.jpg
W

BlackJace

Ever wish an artist would just make music and shut the entire fuck up?
That's how I feel about Lupe. How he gave us The Cool I will never understand.

It's hard to explain but let me try.

Kanye as an artist is a GOAT. He's very likely my favorite artist of all time and his discography is untouchable. In short, as a music maker, he's phenomenal.

It's just that as a person, he's a flaming dumpster fire. And if you are at all interested in him as a person, you fall into two camps: "He's playing the media, he's playing us all, he's Garry Kasparov because he's ten steps ahead of us at all times" or "He's a moron on a colossal scale who let his impulsiveness guide him." Truth is, it's probably a little bit of both. He has had its moments where he fucks with the media and others where he does dumb shit and gets called out on it.

Normally, I can excuse the dumb shit because he's a person who expresses his life story though his work and, as a result, I and his fans can sort of act as armchair psychologists and trace back why he does what he does. But, with his new focus on Trump, it's becoming harder and harder to excuse that shit. It's one thing to like Trump, it's another to publicly say so and go out of your way to meet the man and pose for a photo-op with him. To me, it just seems...callous to your fans, because they're this huge multicultural group of people of different races, sexualities, creeds, etc. who will no doubt face a lot of hardship from Trump's actions. It feels tonedeaf of his fan base.

I'm not going to throw away my Stan card for Kanye because of this, rather it's just the disappointment is dwarfing the respect I had for this dude who made himself something through sheer hard work and hustle. It's getting harder and harder to ignore the fact Ye refuses to speak out on political matters anymore, like he did back in 2006-07. Has Kanye said anything about the BLM movement? Has he done anything to help it like Pusha, Chance, Vic, Jay, etc.? The way I see it, his only political action over the last couple years has been performing at fundraisers and giving donations, not using his star power for some better message. It feels more and more like Ye would rather stay and make waves in his world of fashion and art than make an impact in the real world.

Also, I just paraphrased pusha from New God Flow.

inb4 I get "L O L" as a response.

Nephilim

Banned

Kanye as an artist is a GOAT. He's very likely my favorite artist of all time and his discography is untouchable. In short, as a music maker, he's phenomenal.

It's just that as a person, he's a flaming dumpster fire. And if you are at all interested in him as a person, you fall into two camps: "He's playing the media, he's playing us all, he's Garry Kasparov because he's ten steps ahead of us at all times" or "He's a moron on a colossal scale who let his impulsiveness guide him." Truth is, it's probably a little bit of both. He has had its moments where he fucks with the media and others where he does dumb shit and gets called out on it.

Normally, I can excuse the dumb shit because he's a person who expresses his life story though his work and, as a result, I and his fans can sort of act as armchair psychologists and trace back why he does what he does. But, with his new focus on Trump, it's becoming harder and harder to excuse that shit. It's one thing to like Trump, it's another to publicly say so and go out of your way to meet the man and pose for a photo-op with him. To me, it just seems...callous to your fans, because they're this huge multicultural group of people of different races, sexualities, creeds, etc. who will no doubt face a lot of hardship from Trump's actions. It feels tonedeaf of his fan base.

I'm not going to throw away my Stan card for Kanye because of this, rather it's just the disappointment is dwarfing the respect I had for this dude who made himself something through sheer hard work and hustle. It's getting harder and harder to ignore the fact Ye refuses to speak out on political matters anymore, like he did back in 2006-07. Has Kanye said anything about the BLM movement? Has he done anything to help it like Pusha, Chance, Vic, Jay, etc.? The way I see it, his only political action over the last couple years has been performing at fundraisers and giving donations, not using his star power for some better message. It feels more and more like Ye would rather stay and make waves in his world of fashion and art than make an impact in the real world.

Better than Nas disco?

Koozek

L
O
L

I was just asking about the Pusha lyrics :D Thought he actually dissed him.
Sorry, not gonna read your whole post :-* I'm busy with simutaneously reading reviews, listening to podcasts, and checking the spoiler thread about FFXV.

EDIT: Okay, I like your posts to much not to read it. I totally agree. The recent stuff made me lose any interest and little respect left for his person. I'm gonna check his next album, but I'm not really excited anymore. I've already been falling out with him (and Drake) in the last months anyway and I've been a huge stan since my youth, too.

AJLma

There's no reason for Ye to get political, because his fans are not politically savvy. He would just get ethered regardless.

And helping BLM.... BLM is going to be one of the movements that gets this new America to unite against black people with their poorly planned/staged rallies with no objective. BLM is beyond hope as a political movement.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Slow march to death for the thread has been a thing before 2016 tbh, you know that.
True. I blame Recon.

Recon finally got banned (temp bans also helped keep GAF-Hop going TBH).
kamspy peaced out because he no longer had anyone to trigger
siddx (and others like coldvein and stuff) went from posting regularly to infrequently to stopping posting almost altogether (he was the last of the true fuckery-generators of GAF-Hop)
Blackace had a dispute with mods and peaced out
PD got permed
Esch, CRS and others peaced out in protest to the Blackace and PD things

On top of that, I think a lot of us just got older and busier.

You know what the most baffling thing is? This is the same guy who made New Slaves three years ago. How the fuck can you rap about mass incarceration and the prison industrial complex and then turn around and buddy up with Trump?

IrishNinja

Listening to some of Cole's old mixtape stuff

Wow

He's literally the exact same rapper. Pretty much the same production too. That's actuakky impressive that he hasnt evolved at all.

Like, wow.

yeah, i remember a number of us enjoying friday night lights, but then he never did anything beyond that really

sometimes i can enjoy artists who can't seem to grow (KRIT comes to mind, but he's not a great example really) but cole's just not one. the box he settled in is nowhere near exciting.

Demolition Man 2 set pics

oh shit, i'm jacking this

Lupe Fiasco has been wildin out. Sound cloud took down a quick track he did cause he said something about jews. It was a diss at Jcole. He put his twitter on private again but I caught him saying hes cancelling his albums lol. Sorry if mentioned already

damn, my man esh had a fiver on yeezy doing it first

Honestly

Ppl asking why this thread slowed down

This year has just broken me. Just exhausted.

Like what is there even to say about ye

completely agreed...i haven't been listening to nearly as much, so it's my fault too cause i know i've grabbed some stuff on des' say-so and i've been proven wrong numerous times before in here that there's trap shit i can fuck with, but i've just not had the energy this year.
everytime i log on the internet, its like hey here's more news about the bad guys winning, enjoy.

Bill Cosby Innocent!!!!!

And now this.

Separating an artist from their art is fine and all, but fucking hell if Kanye isn't making it hard right now. If TG-16 has even one mention of Trump in a positive manner on it, I'm out. It's one thing to be trapped in a bubble, it's another entirely to do so and refuse to see how your support of a man can impact the lives of so many of your fans.

oh yeah, i mean i want something good after TLOP but 100% with the bolded, i've no time for that shit

Des is probably the most valuable Gaf Hop member

there's no probably about it, he was the best of us when this place was jumping too

Waiting for Esch to come back for a drive-by clowning on all the Ye stans.

i mean, he ain't even gotta say it. dude pointed out the countless times yeezy bent over for white folks in the fashion industry, in any award industry, in the croissant industry etc

after this, there's not much more than can be said

how does it feel knowing an irrelevant rapper can out rap your favorite rapper
T0eVv.jpg

as a huge fan of irrelevant rappers: this isn't even a little true

Better than Nas disco?

Nas one of the GOATS but you never wanna prop up the man's full discog...jigga fans understand

Blackace had a dispute with mods and peaced out
PD got permed
Esch, CRS and others peaced out in protest to the Blackace and PD things

yeah, most days i think i should've stayed peaced out for the same reason (that was bullshit), but des, cod, glass, chedz etc are still about so i feel like i can't leave the party quite yet

Kanye already gave an explanation on his Twitter to soften the drama a bit
What shit.

I wanted to meet with Trump today to discuss multicultural issues.

These issues included bullying, supporting teachers, modernizing curriculums, and violence in Chicago.
How can a bully solve bullying?

This guy says it best:
@kanyewest You talked sexism? racism? affordable schools and health care? rich ppl paying more taxes? kanye, if you wanna be real, be real.

@kanyewest you got black fans, women, latinos like myself, jews, muslim fans... all of them dissed by Trump and his ppl. What u say to them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom