• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I relistened to Mask Off today with the Kendrick verse...and honestly? I'm surprised it was so popular. The flute is nice, but that chorus is just awful and it's such a slog to get through.

WaffleTaco

Nah Mask Off is great. Remix basura.

Feds Did a Sweep the best song off the album tho
I never liked Feds Did a Sweep, however I did like Mask Off when I first listened it, so I might just not have been in the mood.

I think if K.Dot's verse was on a different song it's better

The verse was good live at the BET Awards tho
I bet it was. The performance he did with Imagine Dragons years back was just so great. Maybe I'll check it out tomorrow.

Kendrick features are usually dogshit lately (like that mask off remix, way to ruin a 🔥 song) but his spot on the vince staples record was really good. His switched up flows weren't annoying and he had some great energy on that beat

Can't remember the exact quote but something about the situation between him and Russell Wilson.

And on one track he's clearly dissing the new school. He doesn't seem to be fond of it. Either way, the album is a big surprise. His previous one wasn't too great.

By the way the physical version will have more tracks.

Detox

4:44 is a beautiful album. The introspection is what Hov has been missing from his catalog (aside from a few songs Hov has never revealed so much about himself). He does it in a very chill casual way whilst dropping knowledge and stunting with straight facts.

No preaching here just a god MC cementing his place at the top. No ID kills it on the boards. No fat on the album let's see how the bonus tracks pan out.

I don't know where exactly this album fits in his discography but it's perfect for where he is at in his career and life.

Kendrick doesn't understand that features are supposed to be apart of someone else's song/idea. The lyrical content is rarely an issue, it's always the flow. He has an Eminem-like obsession with doing weird shit on simple beats. We've heard someone float on Mask Off (Future) and we're heard someone rappity rap on it (Joey Badass). Both were good. He did some weird shit and it doesn't fit; one of the flows he used was cool, but the other two (especially the last one) were trash.

On the flip side his feature on Vince's album is great. He tends to sound really good on versatile production, beat/rhythm switches, etc. Like for instance The Heart IV, especially the acoustic part at the beginning and the morphing trap beat at the end. If there's anyone I wanna hear break free of simple "rap production" standards (loops) it's him.

FZZ

Banned
Beautiful Thugger Girls is top 5 this year

y'all are just stuck in 2017 while Thugger Thugger Nut Hugger is making music for those of us in 3017

WaffleTaco

Also, I read that Jay Z admitted to cheating on Beyonce.

Who...the fuck would do that? With who?
I mean...it would be a PR nightmare if Jay Z denied that he cheated. Lemonade would essentially be useless as an album, plus both of their credibility would be in the toilet.

Koozek

Yo, this Calvin Harris joint is smooth. Every feature, outside of Nicki, is on-point.

ONBlRZi.gif

It's my second favorite album so far this year, only track I wasn't feeling was Hard to Love. Pretty excited for Vol. 2.
I doubt there'll be a Volume 2. Calvin had said previously he just wanted to release 10 singles throughout the year and that albums were done, so I'd expect a Vol. 2 to be out next year or even a couple years from now.

FZZ

Banned
jay z had so little interesting content to talk about on his records now that I wouldn't put it past him to cheat on Beyonce to find new things to talk about

Idk how the fuck you'd cheat on Beyonce especially since it's obvious she is way out of his league smh

Koozek

jay z had so little interesting content to talk about on his records now that I wouldn't put it past him to cheat on Beyonce to find new things to talk about

Idk how the fuck you'd cheat on Beyonce especially since it's obvious she is way out of his league smh
L
O
L

"Marcy me
Streets is my artery, the vein of my existence
I'm the Gotham City heartbeat
I started in lobbies now, parlay with Saudis
Sufi to the goofies, I could probably speak Farsi
That's poetry, read a coca leaf from my past
Came through the bushes smellin' like roses
I need a trophy just for that
Old Brooklyn, not this new shit, shift feel like a spoof
Fat laces in your shoe, I'm talkin' bustin' off the roof
Hold a Uzi vertical, let the thing smoke
Y'all flirtin' with death, I be winkin' through the scope...."

Marcy Me is an incredible track and the second verse on Marcy Me is one of my favorite Jay Z verses period, the song feels like nostalgia/reminiscing.

I'm trying to get adjusted to this album still, but his flow and lyricism honestly feels no different than it did on MCHG personally, probably even more degraded on the flow and vocal scale, but that feels like an artistic choice along with the offbeat rhymes to a certain extent (because obviously age plays a role).

Not really sure what people at loving here if they weren't feeling tracks like F.U.T.W, Blue, or Nickles and Dimes.

Edit: And why are people excusing things like Jay's terrible chorus on Smile?
Is it the rawness that this album has that makes it okay?

Detox

Salute to young guru for not getting into the loudness wars.

Salute to Hov for trolling with all those photos with trap artists and producers.

The Don needs to hook up with Extra P and come back with fire.

daffy

Banned
Went back and listened to Lemonade since i have this paperweight Tidal sub now.

Bey was really hurting on some of these tracks. Pray You Catch Me, Sandcastles, hell even Dont Hurt Yourself. :(

You can tell Jay was really not owning up to that shit for a good bit. She prob had to sneak off and write these tracks for months. Especially when Solange went McGregor in the elevator

You dont live the life on the road where the baddest bitches are throwing vagina at you. Until you lived that life you cant really act like you know what its like. Kobe had the BADDEST chick and he smashed like a 5.

I mean I dont agree with him cheating on her, but I understand.

daffy

Banned
You dont live the life on the road where the baddest bitches are throwing vagina at you. Until you lived that life you cant really act like you know what its like. Kobe had the BADDEST chick and he smashed like a 5.

I mean I dont agree with him cheating on her, but I understand.
Exactly. I highly doubt it was a baddie. Probably the overnight stocker at Tribeca Whole Foods and she brought her makeup bag full of lube and sex jellies and "accidentally" spilled it in front of Jay

HiResDes

If you've ever been with a freak who might not be the best looking but you had real sexual chemistry with you'll go back to her even if you have this more traditionally gorgeous girl at home.

Dynomutt

If you've ever been with a freak who might not be the best looking but you had real sexual chemistry with you'll go back to her even if you have this more traditionally gorgeous girl at home.

Shit is intoxicating like for real for real. Plus everyone know not all bad chicks can fuck. Looks do not correlate with dat work at least in my experience. Those call center flings ain't no joke.

WaffleTaco

Sex isn't everything and it will fade a couple months after dating. Go with personality or you will end up not that happy. Bonus points if you like both, because that's hard to come by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom