• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cole did 511k first week.
D9e9f6D.gif

Fucking hell, The Patriarch is terrific. That fucking intro man. Kill Yr. Idols. Big Tookie's hypnotic keyboards, Fears, that fucking beat and sample on My Life.

Deniro Farrar.....this guy is great. I need to listen to more of his albums, Datpiff has a ton of (free!) albums.

Also Koozek, check out this flames track with him and Curry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugy_79cg-_8

Tokubetsu

Between "Do What Thou Wilt Will" and "Passion, Pain, and Demon Slayin'" my third eye fully dilated and I am ready to pierce the veil of tomorrow. Bring on 2017.

#ihearthefrequency

HiResDes

Fucking hell, The Patriarch is terrific. That fucking intro man. Kill Yr. Idols. Big Tookie's hypnotic keyboards, Fears, that fucking beat and sample on My Life.

Deniro Farrar.....this guy is great. I need to listen to more of his albums, Datpiff has a ton of (free!) albums.

Also Koozek, check out this flames track with him and Curry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugy_79cg-_8

It's good, it's just weird with you being kind of being behind and hyping a lot of these albums and rappers that were GAF-Hop darlings years ago. It's cool too, because now I'm curious what you'll discover next.

It's good, it's just weird with you being kind of being behind and hyping a lot of these albums and rappers that were GAF-Hop darlings years ago. It's cool too, because now I'm curious what you'll discover next.

I need to listen to more Deniro Farrar it seems like....

Regardless though, I'm so glad that late 2015 was the year where my interest in Hip-Hop pretty much exploded, because I think I've listened to at least 200 rap albums this last year and, oh yeah, can pretty much follow along with rap when previously most rapping was a blur. I think the number of rap albums I knew of previously was like....around 40. And pretty much relegated to one or two sub-genres, and that's about it. For one I'm glad to see how great the genre is today. Fun times!

It's good to know that this thread has also shown me some great shit. For one, the Armand Hammer album that people discussed in here is something that I pretty much got from here, and it's one of the densest and rewarding rap albums I've heard. Glad that Gaf-Hop has been able to show listeners the great stuff that's out there.

Hitta93

Banned
:lol damn.

I've heard a decent amount of his older stuff, just wondering if any of the 2016 stuff is worth checking out (already have a ton of catching up to do with 2016 albums in general).
Woptober

Cole did 511k first week.
Loyal fanbase is loyal.

Between "Do What Thou Wilt Will" and "Passion, Pain, and Demon Slayin'" my third eye fully dilated and I am ready to pierce the veil of tomorrow. Bring on 2017.

#ihearthefrequency

Heard too many good things about this Cudi album lol.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
in what world is The Sun's Tirade the biggest disappointment of the year lmao

it's probably Views

riotous

Banned
New longer Us or Else is dope. The EP banged and the new tracks are right up there in quality.

TI inspire by the Trump fuckery.

Eos

Neither.

I'll go with Ferg's album.

ooooh shit I totally forgot about this basura album
full

might have to change my vote to this. outside of psycho, let it bang, new level, and yammy gang, the album had some of the worst songs i had the displeasure of ever listening to.

IrishNinja

Lol well I'm saying Drake hyped the hell out of Views and it's didn't meet everyone's expectations.

It didn't have the aggressive sound of the previous 2 releases for sure.

definitely - i dug much of NWTS but the soft simp anthem with tight production formula was feeling stale, then that mixtape brought some of his old mixtape aggression back & i was hyped for views...which, following his album formula, pretty much ditched that, but instead we got faux-carribean shit (that the radio loved, to be fair) and more skippable tracks than usual

looking back im not quite sure what i expected from views or tlop, but neither stayed in my rotation for very long at all

Anyone who has Tidal should check out the video for Switching Lanes with Tip and Krit, its one of the better videos of the year, they make an overt reference to the Philando Castile murder and police brutality.

IrishNinja

in our post-trump society ya'll gotta stop takin psycho's posts as literal

dudes like this start with that "2PAC WAS A SHITTY RAPPER" type fatherless cries for attention and only grow from there, they pretty much spend their days sacrificing golden cows

it's performance art, you're posed to front like you ain't got no cash and just keep walking to the bodega and hope you know another way back home so it's not too awkward

New longer Us or Else is dope. The EP banged and the new tracks are right up there in quality.

TI inspire by the Trump fuckery.

Yup this album is much needed with the buffoonish antics going. Im a little salty with old heads not stepping in to regulate on some the ignorant fuckshit thats been going on these last few months, Pete Rock's the only vet whose been consistently putting these knuckleheads on blast.

in our post-trump society ya'll gotta stop takin psycho's posts as literal

dudes like this start with that "2PAC WAS A SHITTY RAPPER" type fatherless cries for attention and only grow from there, they pretty much spend their days sacrificing golden cows

it's performance art, you're posed to front like you ain't got no cash and just keep walking to the bodega and hope you know another way back home so it's not too awkward
Not shitty but certainly nowhere near Jay.

IrishNinja

Not shitty but certainly nowhere near Jay.

i mean - in terms of what though?
techincally speaking, yeah jay in his prime flowed all over pac, and his ear for beats was very clearly infinitely greater. if we're arguing sales, it's not even close. i guess influence is something but it never interests me.

growth as an artist is something, cause we've seen jay long enough to do just that - but i'd argue pac went further in less time, prolly due to life experience and a very different path. jay found tremendous success in a way that doesn't translate into something very exciting on wax, which is why shit like KC and especially BP3 suffered. you could argue Pac trying to stay relevant/hard past his era would too but then we'd be in hypotheticals.

if we had to go first 5 albums (including don killumati) it's pac no contest, cause jigga's not even at blueprint by then. if we're doing an average track played by either, it's like 5 albums vs what, a baker's dozen from jay? where half are misses - and i'm acknowledging how many skippable tracks pac had too. but if we're talking anywhere but the club & you're asking if i'd rather hear something from one or the other, i love both but i'm gonna pick pac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom