• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

Didn't Des used to make quarterly round-ups? What happened to those?
It got to a point where they kind of seemed useless and redundant. People were more up on things, and only a few really paid any attention to them. They'd rarely make it past the first page in posts and then after that first day or so the albums in them would never be mentioned again lol. I never lived down the Bandcamp fodder moniker even though I posted lots of mainstream, blog hype type of shit too. I still post a lot of stuff on the low, but a try hard thread dedicated to my picks definitely seems too try hard and attention hogging anyway. I guess it always was

huge letdown after Cilvia demo

Understandable. I guess have to separate 'disappointment' from 'bad'.

Everything from Kendrick Lamar post 'Section 80' and J. Cole post 'Warm-Up' & 'Friday Night Lights' have been disappointments if I use those albums/mixtape as their threshold.

This is why I like artist to disappear for a while between releases, to clean my palate.

'The Suns Tirade' was my album of the year; it had the most spins.

Kwixotik

It got to a point where they kind of seemed useless and redundant. People were more up on things, and only a few really paid any attention to them. They'd rarely make it past the first page in posts and then after that first day or so the albums in them would never be mentioned again lol. I never lived down the Bandcamp fodder moniker even though I posted lots of mainstream, blog hype type of shit too. I still post a lot of stuff on the low, but a try hard thread dedicated to my picks definitely seems too try hard and attention hogging anyway. I guess it always was
I always checked them to catch up on stuff since I kind of float in and out. They were pretty useful, to me anyway.

GKMC is better than Section.80 tho
But I agree about cole.

Section.80 is pretty dam good, I don't know. Also I think Overly Dedicated might be his best work.

It's arguable and that's what really matters. Not to harp on J. Cole, but there is no argument that his work post Warm-Up and Friday Night Lights have been a disappointments (in comparison to those mixtapes). I really enjoyed Born Sinner, Forest Hill Drive, and 4 Your Eyez Only, but I would never argue they're better than WU or FNL and quite frankly the only reason is due to lack of production.

HiiiLife

Fnl is still coles best work. I dunno why I even give dude the time of day. 4 times he's tried now and just can't match that quality.

overcast

Really Doe one of the best beats of the year. Automatic head banger.

Coloring Book is my personal disappointment of the year followed by Views and Ferg. Ferg is the worst of the three tho

Reckoner

Coloring Book is an album that I didn't really got much into but I respect those who enjoyed it. That kind of positivity and good vibe is welcomed.

I liked Noname's tape a bit more, but I can still see the genius in Chance.

i mean - in terms of what though?
techincally speaking, yeah jay in his prime flowed all over pac, and his ear for beats was very clearly infinitely greater. if we're arguing sales, it's not even close. i guess influence is something but it never interests me.

growth as an artist is something, cause we've seen jay long enough to do just that - but i'd argue pac went further in less time, prolly due to life experience and a very different path. jay found tremendous success in a way that doesn't translate into something very exciting on wax, which is why shit like KC and especially BP3 suffered. you could argue Pac trying to stay relevant/hard past his era would too but then we'd be in hypotheticals.

if we had to go first 5 albums (including don killumati) it's pac no contest, cause jigga's not even at blueprint by then. if we're doing an average track played by either, it's like 5 albums vs what, a baker's dozen from jay? where half are misses - and i'm acknowledging how many skippable tracks pac had too. but if we're talking anywhere but the club & you're asking if i'd rather hear something from one or the other, i love both but i'm gonna pick pac.
Wasn't expecting an actual response to that hot take.
Truthfully I just don't like Pac so I can't judge his music without bias, which is why I'd comfortably put Jay above him while if I was talking Common/Nas/Biggie or Kendrick that wouldn't be the case.
I'd say Pac is a better artist than Jay, in that he was more original and paved more ground, and I can't deny that he was at least as good of a songwriter when faced with his influence despite not being partial to it.
I just prefer Jay's voice (Pac's voice falls into the Scarface category of sounding too fake/acted too me), prefer his technical lyricism, prefer his writing style, and prefer him as a poet.

IrishNinja

I'm fuming.
Jay is the victim of supreme stupidity.
Reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/5ij0ic/til_biggie_jayz_busta_rhymes_and_dmx_went_to_the/?st=IWR2LJ95&sh=e8b782ab

phewww that's crazy, wait why is that stupidity, what am i not reading? skipped reddit & went to the article

I've been on a Gang Starr binge since you posted this, thanks. Haven't done this is a long, long time.

Talk about an underrated discography.

for real, i have hard to earn on wax but am dying for moment of truth, step in the arena is dope too. guru is just outside my personal top 10 (i even loved his jazzmatazz series) and primo is easily top 5 producer of all time for me.

Eos

Moment of truth will always be my favourite gangstarr album. Guru brought it lyrically and primo with his production.
I'm fuming.
Reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/5ij0ic/til_biggie_jayz_busta_rhymes_and_dmx_went_to_the/?st=IWR2LJ95&sh=e8b782ab
Gnahs stanleys smh

for real, i have hard to earn on wax but am dying for moment of truth, step in the arena is dope too. guru is just outside my personal top 10 (i even loved his jazzmatazz series) and primo is easily top 5 producer of all time for me.

Man, Premier's great. Sometimes you take for granted that the guy is still making beats all these years later, but going back through these albums it's just gem after gem. Like even the early stuff holds up. His cuts are iconic, and these sample/percussion loops are dooooooope.

phewww that's crazy, wait why is that stupidity, what am i not reading? skipped reddit & went to the article

The comments once they start discussing Jay's original fast rapping and down.

Also a few things are wrong about the actual TIL though.
DMX did not go to the same school as them, Busta Rhymes, Jay, and Biggie did though.
Busta and Jay did battle in the lunch room, but it was only once (and according to Busta Jay won).
Biggie and Jay did not know each other and they never battled.
AZ did go to this school though, and him and Jay traded bars once according to him, he claims it wasn't a battle though, just a fun back and forth.

This Cudder is pretty aight. Just like Stony, however, it's just too long for what it is. I ain't tryna listen to 90 minutes of "uuhhhhh aaahh ah ah ahhhh"
ahh4.png

scusthov.gif

I'm fuming.

"fuming"? really?
scusthov.gif

Koozek

Okay, few tracks into the new Cudder and it's kinda... okay? At least not down-right garbage like the other albums since the first one. Production is cool. Lyrics, and some of the humming is a bit too corny, though. Wait, there's an André feature again?? Fake-EDIT: Wait, there are 2 André features??? This is the most productive year for him since Idlewilde 10 years ago, damn. It's interesting to hear his adapting to the current style of flow in rap in some of his new verses. First noticed during his parts on Badu's Hello early this year that he sounded like he must've been listening to Thugga (in parts it even sounded like Post) and then I saw him confirming in an interview few weeks later that he loves Thugga. New solo album, pleeease.

I'm fuming.

Victim? In what way?

I've been on a Gang Starr binge since you posted this, thanks. Haven't done this is a long, long time.

Talk about an underrated discography.

Oh man, you aren't kidding. Gang Starr is soooo good. I agree with Eos that Moment of Truth is their best album. So many good cuts, and it's such a long album too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom