• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

New Tribe album is good so far, but man, it's very far removed from the classic Tribe era, especially Low End Theory. It's going to take a while to get used to it, I imagine.

how so? i love low end but spent far more time with midnight, and this has that coolout with a message but not preachy shit vibe to it

how so? i love low end but spent far more time with midnight, and this has that coolout with a message but not preachy shit vibe to it

For one, The Low End Theory is pretty stripped down and contains minimal backing music. I was expecting production that is absolutely dope, but man there is a lot of experimentation going on in the background of these songs.

Nabs

What do you guys think of this Isa Muhammad tape?

Edit: I don't know if its been posted but

http://www.datpiff.com/Isa-Muhammad...atpiff.com/embed/m3bea1d6/&utm_medium=piff.me

Its dope brehs

abObI15.png

I can appreciate barbershop bullshit when wrapped in a nice package. It's a bit long, so I probably won't listen to the whole thing ever, but what I have on loop is nice.

PlayDat

The main aural difference I sense between We Got It From Here and Low End Theory would be some more prominent guitar riffs in the former. I'd say Show Business, Everything is Fair, and Scenario were all relatively dense production wise compared to the other songs on their second album. I think the more consistently energetic production on Midnight Marauders is part of the reason it's my favorite work of theirs. We Got It From Here sounds a little different from their older stuff, but I wouldn't call anything about the production on their new album experimental. When I think of experimental hip-hop beats, my mind goes to El-P, Alchemist, Shabazz Palaces, Yeezus, Death Grips, Lil Ugly Mane, Zeroh, Sporting Life, and others in that lane.

I played through RTJ3 once so far. I don't put much stock in first impressions. RTJ2 didn't wow me the first time I heard it, but grew to become my AOTY. All I'll say about 3 at this point is that I'm looking forward to playing it again. I'm black as the heart of the president-elect for those of you taking census.

xHiryu

The main aural difference I sense between We Got It From Here and Low End Theory would be some more prominent guitar riffs in the former. I'd say Show Business, Everything is Fair, and Scenario were all relatively dense production wise compared to the other songs on their second album. I think the more consistently energetic production on Midnight Marauders is part of the reason it's my favorite work of theirs. We Got It From Here sounds a little different from their older stuff, but I wouldn't call anything about the production on their new album experimental. When I think of experimental hip-hop beats, my mind goes to El-P, Alchemist, Shabazz Palaces, Yeezus, Death Grips, Lil Ugly Mane, Zeroh, Sporting Life, and others in that lane.

I played through RTJ3 once so far. I don't put much stock in first impressions. RTJ2 didn't wow me the first time I heard it, but grew to become my AOTY. All I'll say about 3 at this point is that I'm looking forward to playing it again. I'm black as the heart of the president-elect for those of you taking census.
Black Spasmodic sounds pretty experimental to me bruh

Yeah, it sounds a bit different but it's not really a departure from their unique sounds/style IMO

T Dollarz

Can't relate to those trying to make RtJ3 seem like trash. I've spun it a couple times and it's simply hype as fuck. Probably the most consistent of their three albums.

Yado

Can't relate to those trying to make RtJ3 seem like trash. I've spun it a couple times and it's simply hype as fuck. Probably the most consistent of their three albums.

Nothing on it stood out immediately like 2, but I've only listened to it once.

This dude Nick Grant got next, my god. The flows, bars, charisma, guy is the real deal. Been ripping through his catalogue last week, just saw him for the first time during the Yo Gotti Tidal concert, that Black Sinatra jawn reminds me of the great 90s east coast rappers.

Koozek

Best non-hip hop albums this year? and pls don't say car seat headrest
James Blake - The Color in Anything:
https://play.spotify.com/album/1WyrGCkFDlH1xPadZ5qTkL

ANOHNI - Hopelessness (co-produced by Hudson Mohawke):
https://play.spotify.com/album/1S3OY2V2ZwFh4xU7gQG6IZ

Frank Ocean's Blonde and Enless obviously, though I'd say it's Hip Hop, as it's mostly sing-rapping. I mean, what's the difference between this and Chance or Drake (besides the latter two not singing as well)?

Only non-Hip Hop albums I listened to this year, really.

thabiz

Why the gif? Have you even heard the kid?
Every New York radio DJ says he sounds like hes from there and hes got cosigns from everyone who matters in the NY hip hop scene, including Nas & Busta. Hes affiliated with TI's label, thats why Yo Gotti fucks with him.
GIF--Nope-No-way-Nah-no-Oprah-Winfrey-GIF.gif

This dude Nick Grant got next, my god. The flows, bars, charisma, guy is the real deal. Been ripping through his catalogue last week, just saw him for the first time during the Yo Gotti Tidal concert, that Black Sinatra jawn reminds me of the great 90s east coast rappers.

Why the gif? Have you even heard the kid?
Every New York radio DJ says he sounds like hes from there and hes got cosigns from everyone who matters in the NY hip hop scene, including Nas & Busta. Hes affiliated with TI's label, thats why Yo Gotti fucks with him.

I feel like I've heard this about every NY rapper on the come-up for the last decade or so.

Koozek

Radiohead - Moon Shaped Pool / Angel Olsen - My Women / Bon Iver - 33, A Million
Haven't heard the new Radiohead yet (actually never really listened to a Radiohead album thoroughly - what's the best entry point?). Will check out tomorrow.

Liked Bon Iver features on Ye and James Blake albums, so I might check out his new album.

shoelacer

Banned
Haven't heard the new Radiohead yet (actually never really listened to a Radiohead album thoroughly - what's the best entry point?). Will check out tomorrow.

OK computer, maybe Kid A

Gonna get drunk and finally listen to RTJ3 tonight after wrasslin', lil anxious that it's gonna be weak after the first song they let out

PlayDat

My personal favorite Radiohead album would be In Rainbows, but it doesn't really have the electronic sound they're famous for. You can't go wrong with OK Computer, Kid A, or Amnesiac. There's a track on Nostalgia Ultra that samples Kid A. Just thought I'd mention that since you liked Blonde.

Liked Bon Iver features on Ye and James Blake albums, so I might check out his new album.
Kid A, In Rainbows and OK Computer are widely agreed upon as their masterpieces. IR or OKC are more accessible than Kid A, though I latched onto to Kid A because I really connected to that album's theme of depression as I was struggling with my own.

HiResDes

Kid A, In Rainbows and OK Computer are widely agreed upon as their masterpieces. IR or OKC are more accessible than Kid A, though I latched onto to Kid A because I really connected to that album's theme of depression as I was struggling with my own.
Amnesiac is probably my favorite but I agree with the rest.

Anyway I really came to see if you had heard this Throat album by ADR it's all I've really been listening to on my new system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom