• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fast forwarding through this RTJ.

I'm done with the group until we get RAP Music 2. Mike still got it but these beats are for parties I don't attend and El-P couldn't be more uninteresting on the mic.

All this RTJ talk just makes me want to fish out Funcrusher Plus. Kind of a shame that the group didn't pan out, I suppose. But El-P was always the best part of the group anyway and his solo material pretty much built upon what he established, perhaps.

Anyone remember the name of that Reasonable Doubt documentary that used to be on Netflix some years back?
The only Jay documentary on Netflix I remember is "A Genius Leaves The Hood: The Unauthorized Story Of Jay" where they interview a bunch of Jay Z haters.
You can find all the information on Reasonable Doubt from one of the many Docs/Videos/articles made this year though.
Edit: wait I remember what you're talking about, don't know the name though.

The only Jay documentary on Netflix I remember is "A Genius Leaves The Hood: The Unauthorized Story Of Jay" where they interview a bunch of Jay Z haters.
You can find all the information on Reasonable Doubt from one of the many Docs/Videos/articles made this year though.
Edit: wait I remember what you're talking about, don't know the name though.

On another note, how about Decoded? Yay or nay?

Eos

ijlxewedycnje23spf.gif

OG Kush

Full video of Dizzee Rascal's live rendition of his album "Boy in da corner' he did a few weeks back. It was sponsored by Red Bull so the quality is great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3VpBSvBTXU

Still possible my favourite Grime album. Its just quintessentially "grime" and "British" sounding. Maybe not even British, but its a London album. The production is still so fresh, truly solidified the Grime sound.

T Dollarz

Idk brehs, I just can't stop going back to the Tribe album. I've gone from "Whoa, this is better than expected," to "This is damn good for a 25 year old group," to "Fuck man, this is probably my album of the year."

Seriously, my expectations for this were zero, and I wasn't even gonna check it out until I started seeing some impressions. Totally came out of nowhere and has dominated my final quarter of the year playlist. Wanted to give one final shout out.

Yeah, I ended up getting the album and I'm pretty excited to listen to it. Can't wait.

On another note, I'm also listening to the new De La Soul album. First listen is kind of disappointing, but I suspect it may grow on me. It's definitely eclectic like all of their other material, though, which is a good thing.

So, I'm getting a turntable set-up over the holidays, and I was wondering if you all had any opinions as to which albums are essential to hear on wax.

So far, the only vinyl I have are "Blonde", "Landcruisin'" single by A.K. Paul, and an RTJ promo disk from their RTJ2 promotion days. I was planning on getting "Blackstar" by Bowie, but I was wondering if there were any essential albums one must have on vinyl.

So, I'm getting a turntable set-up over the holidays, and I was wondering if you all had any opinions as to which albums are essential to hear on wax.

So far, the only vinyl I have are "Blonde", "Landcruisin'" single by A.K. Paul, and an RTJ promo disk from their RTJ2 promotion days. I was planning on getting "Blackstar" by Bowie, but I was wondering if there were any essential albums one must have on vinyl.

MBDTF is supposedly better on vinyl? I know the album has awful production on CD due to compression, but I heard the vinyl isn't much better.

I heard Jazz is much better on vinyl, but I don't know if you listen to a lot of Jazz.

Koozek

Yeah, I ended up getting the album and I'm pretty excited to listen to it. Can't wait.

On another note, I'm also listening to the new De La Soul album. First listen is kind of disappointing, but I suspect it may grow on me. It's definitely eclectic like all of their other material, though, which is a good thing.
It was okay, not their best. You know what you could finally check out, breh? Their two AOI albums (Mosaic Thump, and Bionix). All-time faves of mine and my favorite De La albums together with The Grind Date.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Fast forwarding through this RTJ.

I'm done with the group until we get RAP Music 2. Mike still got it but these beats are for parties I don't attend and El-P couldn't be more uninteresting on the mic.

yeah i got to track 8 or so and turned it off. both of them need to go solo for a while.

I think it's safe to say Aesop Rock is the producer El-P used to be at this point.

Yeah,the work on The Impossible Kid is really good. Skelethon was great, too.

It was okay, not their best. You know what you could finally check out, breh? Their two AOI albums (Mosaic Thump, and Bionix). All-time faves of mine and my favorite De La albums together with The Grind Date.

Yes, I know that's overdue. Thanks for the reminder!

Kids on this new Quest album....damn.

T Dollarz

Early Wu albums are great

MBDTF is supposedly better on vinyl? I know the album has awful production on CD due to compression, but I heard the vinyl isn't much better.

I heard Jazz is much better on vinyl, but I don't know if you listen to a lot of Jazz.

Jazz, Folk, Psychedlic, Soul, Ambient, Shoegaze...That's the shit that's really great on vinyl IMO.

https://soundcloud.com/1amvibes/fatmankey-unotheactivist-madeintyo-lefthand

Duly noted.

I'll see if I can get some of my favorite albums in those genres on vinyl as soon as I can.

IrishNinja

Masta Killa - Therapy feat. Method Man & Redman

The Adult Swim Singles 2016 program ended on the 14th. Get them all.

diving into this RTJ and you post this too? damn

Mike still got it but these beats are for parties I don't get invited to

oh

Jay Z is the GOAT

this was a real opinion in like '03

Idk brehs, I just can't stop going back to the Tribe album. I've gone from "Whoa, this is better than expected," to "This is damn good for a 25 year old group," to "Fuck man, this is probably my album of the year."

Seriously, my expectations for this were zero, and I wasn't even gonna check it out until I started seeing some impressions. Totally came out of nowhere and has dominated my final quarter of the year playlist. Wanted to give one final shout out.

for real, it's so much better than we deserve. after so many classic efforts failed/kinda missed the mark, this shit basically just picked up where they left off

Jazz, Folk, Psychedlic, Soul, Ambient, Shoegaze...That's the shit that's really great on vinyl IMO.

https://soundcloud.com/1amvibes/fatmankey-unotheactivist-madeintyo-lefthand

agreed, i love the shit out of classic R&B/soul on wax cause you can find stylistics/commodores/pindergrass/isleys etc (pretty much anything besides bill withers sadly) for dirt cheap and it all sounds fantastic
folk as well, lately id wanted to hear some carol king on vinyl

hmm RTJ3 not looking good on the Black Opinions train right now

CAC Music once again

there's like 4 black dudes left in this thread if we toss out those championing desiigner's latest struggle though, great sample group breh

Dereck

I think it's safe to say Aesop Rock is the producer El-P used to be at this point.
A few years ago I asked why Aesop Rock hasn't done an entire project with El-P, but now it doesn't matter because their beats sound similar.

If you told me that Skelethon was produced by El-P I would believe you.

diving into this RTJ and you post this too? damn

oh

this was a real opinion in like '03

for real, it's so much better than we deserve. after so many classic efforts failed/kinda missed the mark, this shit basically just picked up where they left off

agreed, i love the shit out of classic R&B/soul on wax cause you can find stylistics/commodores/pindergrass/isleys etc (pretty much anything besides bill withers sadly) for dirt cheap and it all sounds fantastic
folk as well, lately id wanted to hear some carol king on vinyl

there's like 4 black dudes left in this thread if we toss out those championing desiigner's latest struggle though, great sample group breh
No more valid than after 03.
Blueprint 2 is trash rapping/songwriting wise and the S.Carter Mixtape/Black Album is a bounce back,and Kingdom Come is better than Blueprint 2, and American Gangster is just as much of a bounce back and of the highest quality so his GOAT claim is strengthened.
Not to mention his many excellent features and loosie tracks.

Also on RTJ, I'm black and I think they're dope (though I haven't listened to the third project yet), tons of black people love them, just not coli-types.

IrishNinja

No more valid than after 03.
Blueprint 2 is trash rapping/songwriting wise and the S.Carter Mixtape/Black Album is a bounce back,and Kingdom Come is better than Blueprint 2, and American Gangster is just as much of a bounce back and of the highest quality so his GOAT claim is strengthened.
Not to mention his many excellent features and loosie tracks.

i don't know how id rate BP 2 or KC cause both are forgettable efforts, but black album is his last great album, with american gangster is good to great at absolute best

i know you disagree but it's a moot point if we're arguing over your GOAT's last solid effort being about a decade ago anyway

also jay's loosies & features pre retirement >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> post

as a huge wu fan that accepts most of their group efforts post 2000 have been asscheeks i cannot imagine why you'd look at jay's last 10 years of struggle and try to shine a light on it. its the same for LL, em and most who overstayed their time in the game - like when people talk about jordan i don't imagine they're on about when iverson crossed him up

watch out 4 liquid swords 2

i don't know how id rate BP 2 or KC cause both are forgettable efforts, but black album is his last great album, with american gangster is good to great at absolute best

i know you disagree but it's a moot point if we're arguing over your GOAT's last solid effort being about a decade ago anyway

also jay's loosies & features pre retirement >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> post

as a huge wu fan that accepts most of their group efforts post 2000 have been asscheeks i cannot imagine why you'd look at jay's last 10 years of struggle and try to shine a light on it. its the same for LL, em and most who overstayed their time in the game - like when people talk about jordan i don't imagine they're on about when iverson crossed him up

I am fine with them overstaying, they still put out good music even if it isn't as good as their older work.

IrishNinja

I am fine with them overstaying, they still put out good music even if it isn't as good as their older work.

this post is like your tao though
i tend to agree, and there's gonna be OT threads in here about how someone's latest turd is BETTER THAN THEIR OLD STUFF TM so i guess it's fine, it's not like Dark Knight Strikes Again or whatever miller just shat out stops me from enjoying the original DKR one bit

but if you're on about an MC as your GOAT and they've been shitting on their legacy since before obama it's gonna come up in the conversation

I disagree with that, they're equivalent to me.
DP3? Mr.Carter? Dear Summer? Seen It All? Spiritual? DDA? Grammy Family Freestyle? Go Crazy? Diamonds Remix? So Appalled? Shiny Suit Theory? We Made It? Maybach Music and Maybach Music 2 Lost Verse? When The Money Goes? Free Masons? Devil Is a Lie? Glory?
And even more than that, his post retirement non-album material has been of the highest quality as far as I can see.
I shine a light on whatever I think is quality, I believe American Gangster is top tier so I'll champion it until I die, I also believe his features and loosies have been incredible so I'll make sure to mention them as well, that doesn't mean the bad isn't there but I don't believe the bad means I should ignore the good.
I mean imo half of Vol.1 is trash, half of Vol.3 is subpar and half of The Dynasty is okay radio songs, so looking at post retirement Jay and pointing out quality isn't a tough job for me and I don't consider it to be much of a leap.

Icolin

Banned

Loveless on vinyl is
qfZcbC4.png

Also stuff like The White Album or SPLHCB by The Beatles sounds great too.

New Tribe album is good so far, but man, it's very far removed from the classic Tribe era, especially Low End Theory. It's going to take a while to get used to it, I imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom