• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoelacer

Banned
RTJ3 is aaight. The second half is a lot better than the first. I think Mike has worn off as much as he can on El though. He's much more in the pocket than he was pre RTJ but he falls back into the same flows all the time, and even though it's a lot tighter than the coflow era jazzrap stuff it feels constrained.

Likewise, I wish Mike didn't have to focus on the bravado over storytelling or explicitly political shit. I'm really glad both of these dudes are getting recognition and success, but part of me is sad we never really got the next Ice Cube that Mike's pre-RTJ shit bordered on.

Koozek

OK computer, maybe Kid A

Gonna get drunk and finally listen to RTJ3 tonight after wrasslin', lil anxious that it's gonna be weak after the first song they let out

My personal favorite Radiohead album would be In Rainbows, but it doesn't really have the electronic sound they're famous for. You can't go wrong with OK Computer, Kid A, or Amnesiac. There's a track on Nostalgia Ultra that samples Kid A. Just thought I'd mention that since you liked Blonde.

Kid A, In Rainbows and OK Computer are widely agreed upon as their masterpieces. IR or OKC are more accessible than Kid A, though I latched onto to Kid A because I really connected to that album's theme of depression as I was struggling with my own.

Amnesiac is probably my favorite but I agree with the rest.

Anyway I really came to see if you had heard this Throat album by ADR it's all I've really been listening to on my new system.
Thank you! Will check out OK Computer, Kid A, and In Rainbows first.

Curb, though some might find The State a bit more accessible
stopitslime.png

illadelph

I thought that Common's last two albums were okay, but realized I never listened to The Dreamer, The Believer. Yesterday, I had it playing on the whip with the windows down on a 65-degree day, and the shit was outstanding. That album felt like the follow-up to Resurrection, with No ID knocking it out of the park with the production, and Common going off with nonstop wordplay and concepts.

Anyway I really came to see if you had heard this Throat album by ADR it's all I've really been listening to on my new system.
I hadn't heard the album till you suggested it, but holy shit, this album is so good.

I'm really enjoying this album a lot more than I thought I would. My favorite songs so far are "Advice", "King David", and "Lost Ya."

https://twitter.com/dangerookipawaa/status/813995765353705473

Jay Rock's album has been %80 done for the last 6 months.

SZA has yet to release her album

Q already says his album drops "soon".

Rashad has been teasing new music on his social media.

Maybe Kendrick too?

SZA definitely up next, probably early next year too.

It'll then be Jay Rock, and probably either Q or Rashad after that. Mix in the releases from their new signees and that should be TDE's 2017 in a nutshell.

Bacon

I actually like Joe Rock. Never got GAF-Hop's hyperbole. His verse on Money Trees is still one of my faves.

Even though he hasn't dropped a complete project yet I still weirdly feel like he's got something good in him. I'll remain cautiously optimistic for his next album.

illadelph

Watching the Dead End Hip Hop top 10 video, the dude Kinge seems to have tastes really similar to mine.

Tribe was somehow the best album this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom