• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

T Dollarz

Cheers to the New Year, GAF-Hop! Let's make this thread great again! What better way to start than with the LONG awaited Fabolous x Trey Songz collab!!

We really are doomed

PlayDat

Like any year I'm more looking forward to discovering new artists than new projects from my faves. 2017 has a ton a potential.
kNFwZjm.png

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Happy New Years, GAF-Hop!

In.

Back on topic, it seems like Metro Boomin and Nav are doing a collaborative album, which will be out next year. Source: https://twitter.com/metroboomin/status/812804388960030721

I like Metro's production, so I think that this'll be a solid listen.

They were aight together on Up, but this is big for Nav.

Definitely don't feel right about the first big Punjabi rapper being both essentially another trap dude rapping about Molly AND dropping the n-word.. not a good look.

Birds McKnight still one of the most underrated albums this year. Album is incredible. It takes a couple of listens to feel it though.
It's grown on me a ton. I think it's about DBR level for me in terms of hits/misses. On first listen it was clear it was just disappointing coming off of how immaculate/well-rounded Rodeo was, but then you come back and it's got so many moments you cant help but jam along to.

I need fake niggas to get way back
James Harden with the range on me nigga way back

Coordinate the tan with the beans in my Rockstar skinnies
I'mma need some more, need some more, if I really wanna feel it
Yah, yah, yah, yah, yah
Spend that money fast if I have to
Make that money back if I had you
but basically the entirety of coordinate

I just poured a 8 in a liter
Throw some Jolly Ranchers in, make it sweeter
Versace my clothes, I'm with a white ho
And she snorting three lines like Adidas

Crazy Girls got it popping, AOD got it popping
Tryna' text my accountant
Ain't no service in the mountains

21, 21, 21, 21
All my niggas outside, pillow talkin' sneak dissin'
Get a nigga jaw wired
Beat yo baby mama throat so long she say her jaw's tired
Young Savage get a nigga whacked cause I got mob ties, I'm a wise guy

'Cause you think too hard, we all know
Yeah, you know I'd rather lead it than follow
You and me, baby, mano y mano

giphy.gif

HiResDes

Of course the Travis Stan gonna come around on that shit album.

Now Floss is hot fire, it solidified a spot in my top ten on the ride home today.

Eos

Happy new year brehs
It's grown on me a ton. I think it's about DBR level for me in terms of hits/misses. On first listen it was clear it was just disappointing coming off of how immaculate/well-rounded Rodeo was, but then you come back and it's got so many moments you cant help but jam along to.
Yeah I agree that it's disappointing when you compare it to rodeo but I still listened to the album a lot this year and like most of the songs on it. Songs that could've been ditched imo are sweet sweet, first take, and guidance.
Astroworld in stores soon

Of course the Travis Stan gonna come around on that shit album.

Now Floss is hot fire, it solidified a spot in my top ten on the ride home today.
FLOSS is really good. I didn't like "Live from the Dentist's Office", but I really dig the production on FLOSS, especially on "Eeny Meeny Miny Moe".

As for BITSM, it has one or two good songs, but it's not as cohesive as DBR nor does it have the great production that "Rodeo" had. I can't deny that I enjoy songs like "Guidance", "Sweet Sweet", "Through The Late Night", the first half of "the ends", and "biebs", but the project just feels thrown together. I'd rather Travis take his time again, instead of rushing out "Astroworld" in time for 2017.

Koozek

Happy New Year, brehs!

This new chief keef has got me excited about rap again

I love it so much
Not sure if you guys are trolling or if I should actually give it a listen.

And I guess I gotta check out FLOSS too, whatever that is.

PlayDat

The track Nas and Rick Ross did for Tower Heist, the 2011 Eddie Murphy movie ran on my mind recently. It still bumps. I don’t usually get excited when I hear a rapper is doing a song for some other medium but sometimes they strike gold.

Pharaohe Monch - Fuck You for Training Day
Chubb Rock, Jeru the Damaja, & OC - Return of the Crooklyn Dodgers for Spike Lee’s Clockers

GOATs
Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg - Deep Cover
Biggie Smalls - Party and Bullshit for Who’s the Man?

Anything I’m missing? Songs that were already part of an album, then later licensed for a soundtrack aren’t as special to me.

The track Nas and Rick Ross did for Tower Heist, the 2011 Eddie Murphy movie ran on my mind recently. It still bumps. I don't usually get excited when I hear a rapper is doing a song for some other medium but sometimes they strike gold.

Chubb Rock, Jeru the Damaja, & OC - Return of the Crooklyn Dodgers for Spike Lee's Clockers

GOATs
Biggie Smalls - Party and Bullshit for Who's the Man?

Anything I'm missing? Songs that were already part of an album, then later licensed for a soundtrack aren't as special to me.

I was late for biggies party and bs, cant believe i only found out about it recently.

I believe Kast could really pull an ATCQ-level comeback after the disaster that was Idlewild. Andre seems more creatively energized considering his run of features in 2016, and Big Boi hasn't had a solo release since 2012, which is reasonable considering the Outkast reunion which led straight into the Big Grams era. I hope Kast comes back and does something amazing again.

The track Nas and Rick Ross did for Tower Heist, the 2011 Eddie Murphy movie ran on my mind recently. It still bumps. I don’t usually get excited when I hear a rapper is doing a song for some other medium but sometimes they strike gold.

Chubb Rock, Jeru the Damaja, & OC - Return of the Crooklyn Dodgers for Spike Lee’s Clockers

GOATs
Biggie Smalls - Party and Bullshit for Who’s the Man?

Anything I’m missing? Songs that were already part of an album, then later licensed for a soundtrack aren’t as special to me.

DMX had a pretty good run of soundtrack songs.

My hand fatiguing off the opus
Kept it underground, I focus
I feel afterlife, 6 under oath, don't want no hocus pocus
Niggas tryna go pop, I draw contact
With my facemask
Nothin' but, nothin' but net
Is you Roger or Novak?
You still are no match, you get no rematch
Boy, you missed your moment
Perusing the MoMA
I'm all on my lonely, burst in tears
On his shoulder and it's so cold cause he sculptured
Where's the shaman ayahuasca
I had What's App'd him for atonement
I never ever trust a pre-rolled
I never let a random motherfucker shoot the B-roll
I never ask advice from him cause what could he know?
Never fuck someone you wouldn't wanna be though

How's an R&B dude able to have Rap Song of the Year? Based Frank, blessing us all with bars.

I got Underground Vol. 1 1991-1994 from Triple Six Mafia today. This album is great. The instrumentals are a mixed bag (some of them I like, others are meh), but it's a great album.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What's the consensus on:

Rage & The Machine
Trap or Die 3
Do What Thou Wilt
December 99th
Merry Christmas Lil Mama
Trappy New Years
Hibachi for Lunch
24 Hours in Tokyo
Chixtape 4
The New Toronto 2

Any worth listening to? I think that's all I've got left to listen to before I do my AotY list (though Trappy New Years is presumably 2017).

HiResDes

What's the consensus on:

Rage & The Machine
Trap or Die 3
Do What Thou Wilt
December 99th
Merry Christmas Lil Mama
Trappy New Years
Hibachi for Lunch
24 Hours in Tokyo
Chixtape 4
The New Toronto 2

Any worth listening to? I think that's all I've got left to listen to before I do my AotY list (though Trappy New Years is presumably 2017).

Dude don't you like Chance, if so you should check out all of the New Chicago style rappers that dropped superior projects this year

What's the consensus on:

Rage & The Machine
Trap or Die 3 don't need to liten but trash
Do What Thou Wilt trash
December 99th most likely trash
Merry Christmas Lil Mama listned and is absolute trash
Trappy New Years fuck datpiff
Hibachi for Lunch 2chainz is trash and this is too
24 Hours in Tokyo trash
Chixtape 4 idk
The New Toronto 2 idk

LionPride

Banned
What's the consensus on:

Rage & The Machine
Trap or Die 3
Do What Thou Wilt
December 99th
Merry Christmas Lil Mama
Trappy New Years
Hibachi for Lunch
24 Hours in Tokyo
Chixtape 4
The New Toronto 2

Trap or Die 3 is decent and MCLM is dumb but the title track is fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom