• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooooose

what you say is insightful, and definitely not wrong, i think atrocity exhibition is the biggest change in danny's creative process since the hybrid.

the production on here is wonderful, and for the first time in danny's discography, there isn't one questionable beat.

you argue that the more dense, experimental production led to a stagnation in danny's flows. but i think that his flow, along with his lyrics lacking more pop culture based similes and less wordplay than in the past, was on purpose.

each song on here has a thematic message he's trying to get across, as his song typically do, but they're more focused, and darker than ever. i think he accomplished this goal fantastically.

also i still haven't heard a song this year more interesting and poignant than 'ain't it funny'.

"your work killing fiends cause you cut it with fentanyl"

spoken like someone actually into this shit

"dance in the water" is also totally mind blowing and severely underrated

the album isn't perfect, but it's really exceptional. i think for some, it can be a tough pill to swallow, because it's a question of how much further can he go down this rabbit hole before he ends up dead? it's a painful listen that doesn't let up, but i love it because it's a truthful perspective

New Hopsin album 2017.

oh snap I thought you were gone for good lol. Check out that new lloyd banks
UFxeIAh.png

HiResDes

what you say is insightful, and definitely not wrong, i think atrocity exhibition is the biggest change in danny's creative process since the hybrid.

the production on here is wonderful, and for the first time in danny's discography, there isn't one questionable beat.

you argue that the more dense, experimental production led to a stagnation in danny's flows. but i think that his flow, along with his lyrics lacking more pop culture based similes and less wordplay than in the past, was on purpose.

each song on here has a thematic message he's trying to get across, as his song typically do, but they're more focused, and darker than ever. i think he accomplished this goal fantastically.

also i still haven't heard a song this year more interesting and poignant than 'ain't it funny'.

"your work killing fiends cause you cut it with fentanyl"

spoken like someone actually into this shit

"dance in the water" is also totally mind blowing and severely underrated

the album isn't perfect, but it's really exceptional. i think for some, it can be a tough pill to swallow, because it's a question of how much further can he go down this rabbit hole before he ends up dead? it's a painful listen that doesn't let up, but i love it because it's a truthful perspective
Well the thing is for me I thought that exact journey was better narrated and nuanced in XXX by far which manages a level of intimacy never reached on Atrocity Exhibition though I'd agree the backing music is darker and more foreboding. Danny's lyrics and punchlines paint a more vivid tale on XXX less restrained I believe by the somewhat clostrophobic production values, but hey maybe he just didn't have as much clever shit to say. I just don't really get the people acting as if Atrocity is breaking some sort of new narrative ground for Danny when it's really more of a retread of XXX with this sort of closed in focus.

In other news 1UP on repeat ever since it dropped, breh the Mario coin noise set it off

Daydreamin by Lupe Fiasco is such an amazing track, honestly I actually don't even know if I like his lyricism on it much but I'm a sucker for epicly produced/cinematic tracks so I can't stop playing it.

PlayDat

I'd really appreciate if someone can expand on what they like so much about Ain't it Funny. I revisited the album in the past week and that song is still my least favorite. Typically I enjoy experimental production, but not when the sound is that harsh. If the reason you like it is ”These sounds are pleasing to me," then that's a perfectly acceptable response. Some people are really into that. A lot of Death Grips fans call Money Store the group's best work. I gave it an honest shot, but I think I prefer their other albums that aren't so relentless.

Tone-wise, I do agree with mooooose on AE being his darkest work. However if we assume the paucity of wordplay and pop culture references is intentional, then he made a bad decision. I think that had a net negative impact on the quality of the album.

There weren't any bad beats on XXX in my opinion. I liked SKYWLKR's heavy involvement. Additionally, Danny is well above average at beat selection and varying his delivery to meet the production's demands.

This might be a stretch to some of you, but I'm starting to think Old was more replayable that AE. Tracks such as Dope Fiend Rental and Red 2 Go covered topics like depression and poverty but still had levity to them which made them more memorable to me. I'm also of the rare opinion that while Side B lacked the depth I've come to expect from Danny Brown, it's fun enough to still be fairly enjoyable.

Speaking of Danny, I would kill for an uncensored version of this track.
87 - What U About feat. Danny Brown & Big Tone prod. Nick Speed

Daydreamin by Lupe Fiasco is such an amazing track, honestly I actually don't even know if I like his lyricism on it much but I'm a sucker for epicly produced/cinematic tracks so I can't stop playing it.
That's one of my favorite Lupe songs. The imagery is very well done and it's an excellent example of what a rapper can accomplish with an extended metaphor. I need to dive into Jill Scott's discography sometime.

I'd really appreciate if someone can expand on what they like so much about Ain't it Funny. I revisited the album in the past week and that song is still my least favorite. Typically I enjoy experimental production, but not when the sound is that harsh. If the reason you like it is ”These sounds are pleasing to me," then that's a perfectly acceptable response. Some people are really into that. A lot of Death Grips fans call Money Store the group's best work. I gave it an honest shot, but I think I prefer their other albums that aren't so relentless.

Ain't It Funny epitomizes Atrocity Exhibition for me. It's not my favorite track, not even top 5 favorite on the album, but everything about it, sonically, is what AE feels like to me. Just a madhouse of sounds, including Danny's high pitch flow. If you could visualize that song it's basically him and a bunch of instruments bouncing around a room Mad Hatter style. It's harsh and a little grating, but as a part of the project it works. Alongside "Golddust," and "Dance In The Water," it's like this crazy trilogy of psychedelic jazz/funk/punk weirdness that I appreciate. Like I get the criticisms for Danny's lyrics/flow compared to XXX, but the music on AE is just nuts to me. Does that mean I'll come back to anything on here as much as, for instance, the XXX intro? Probably not, but that's okay.

PlayDat

Ain't It Funny epitomizes Atrocity Exhibition for me. It's not my favorite track, not even top 5 favorite on the album, but everything about it, sonically, is what AE feels like to me. Just a madhouse of sounds, including Danny's high pitch flow. If you could visualize that song it's basically him and a bunch of instruments bouncing around room Mad Hatter style. It's harsh and a little grating, but a part of the project it works. Alongside "Golddust," and "Dance In The Water," it's like this crazy trilogy of psychedelic jazz/funk/punk weirdness that I appreciate. Like I get the criticisms for Danny's lyrics/flow compared to XXX, but the music on AE is just nuts to me. Does that mean I'll come back to anything on here as much as, for instance, the XXX intro? Probably not, but that's okay.

Wow. Thanks for the input. For really strong albums the valleys in quality can still be pretty high if they help maintain the cohesion of the project as a whole.

LionPride

Banned
Ain't It Funny epitomizes Atrocity Exhibition for me. It's not my favorite track, not even top 5 favorite on the album, but everything about it, sonically, is what AE feels like to me. Just a madhouse of sounds, including Danny's high pitch flow. If you could visualize that song it's basically him and a bunch of instruments bouncing around room Mad Hatter style. It's harsh and a little grating, but as a part of the project it works. Alongside "Golddust," and "Dance In The Water," it's like this crazy trilogy of psychedelic jazz/funk/punk weirdness that I appreciate. Like I get the criticisms for Danny's lyrics/flow compared to XXX, but the music on AE is just nuts to me. Does that mean I'll come back to anything on here as much as, for instance, the XXX intro? Probably not, but that's okay.

If it wasn't for Ain't It Funny, I would've trashed Atrocity Exhibition. That's the song that made me give the album a second chance.

Speaking of second chance I need to listen to more Jazz Cartier

Ain't It Funny epitomizes Atrocity Exhibition for me. It's not my favorite track, not even top 5 favorite on the album, but everything about it, sonically, is what AE feels like to me. Just a madhouse of sounds, including Danny's high pitch flow. If you could visualize that song it's basically him and a bunch of instruments bouncing around a room Mad Hatter style. It's harsh and a little grating, but as a part of the project it works. Alongside "Golddust," and "Dance In The Water," it's like this crazy trilogy of psychedelic jazz/funk/punk weirdness that I appreciate. Like I get the criticisms for Danny's lyrics/flow compared to XXX, but the music on AE is just nuts to me. Does that mean I'll come back to anything on here as much as, for instance, the XXX intro? Probably not, but that's okay.

yeah I don't think it's as strong an album as XXX really. but sonically this shit is all over the place, but in a good way. its interesting. great production.

i wanna hear action bronson go on something like this. easy rider was a small taste of it.

IrishNinja

it's a solid album, don't think danny's had a misstep yet with his own stuff

also congrats to childish gambino for being recognized for his enjoyable show

Dereck

About Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein

It's a little too long yeah, but here's the thing.

The last third of the album, there are like 3-4 tracks that sound really similar.

Also by that point in the album, Vast Aire and Vordul Mega are kind of just aimlessly rambling. They kind of have that style anyway, but in the beginning of the album they seem to rap with more purpose, and by the end they're rapping for like 5-6 minutes straight without choruses and I'm like...OK, wrap this shit up.

HiResDes

PlayDat

The last third of the album, there are like 3-4 tracks that sound really similar.

Also by that point in the album, Vast Aire and Vordul Mega are kind of just aimlessly rambling. They kind of have that style anyway, but in the beginning of the album they seem to rap with more purpose, and by the end they're rapping for like 5-6 minutes straight without choruses and I'm like...OK, wrap this shit up.

Cold Vein is pretty good, but I think Lost in Translation proved that eXquire is a lot better over El-P's production than either of those cats.

It definitely is too long, and Scream Phoenix is a pretty meh closer. The only track I flat out can't stand is Battle for Asgard.

HiiiLife

Damn, these beats on the new Currensy.

http://www.datpiff.com/pop-mixtape-player-2014.2.php?mediaid=m9c3b701&trackid=

He's a very strange case for me. Nothing he does is ever bad, mainly because of the smooth-ass beats, but at the same time it's just too much and too samey. I always enjoy his tapes when I listen to them, but I never go back to them. Dunno why.

Enjoyed a good amount of the tracks he put out last year but goddamn my mans dropped bookoo music in 2016 lol. Still hype for Gibbs x Spitta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom