• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pitchfork/Hypebeast-Core Ranking: MBDTF > 808s > Yeezus > TLOP > WTT > LR > TCD > Graduation

Dusthead/Hip-Hop Purist Ranking: LR > TCD > WTT > MBDTF > Graduation > TLOP > 808s > Yeezus

Sadboys United Ranking: 808s > MBDTF > Yeezus > TLOP > LR > WTT> Graduation> TCD

Enzo Rule (Something like this) : MBDTF > Graduation > WTT > 808s > TCD > LR> TLOP > Yeezus

Lol spot on.

Reckoner

So many Cudi stans we got in here. It's beautiful.

Even more beautiful is Kanye being spotted with Cudi recently, multiple times. Something big must be coming up.

HiResDes

Very possible. But I remember instantly falling in love with Rawhyde and Good Times, not so much with his recent stuff. Rango was alright though

Koozek

Yo, Des, I just proved to you that the Frank albums are Rap in the other thread. What you gon' do now, huh!?
kttcoliufdup

Migos finally got that second wind. I called Bad and Boujee being a hit before shit even hit 100k. Their promo so fire this time. That'd be thanks to them now being managed by GOOD Music huh?

Love that list, kinda forgot about Ritualize which was in many ways was more a successful rap experiment than Atrocity or anything else.

Talk Back was also really close at times I wanted to switch it where I have Bucket List because the interludes are so cheesy.

I really like those moments on Ritualize where it gets really loud and the music almost overpowers Lushlife's vocals like some post-rock/hip-hop hybrid. Beautiful production, and a great Deniro feature.

And yeah Talk Back stuck with me because I just can't shake this feeling of it sorta, kinda, maybe sounding like a more socially conscious Ludacris album.

Great song of the year choice

Groovy Tony was a great track as a single, but the album addition of Jadakiss and the Eddie Kane transition, which has some of my favorite production on Blank Face, catapulted it to soty.

Nice list you got there, I fucks with 8/10 on there heavily. Although I am surprised to see Atrocity as your #1, for me it's a really good album but in a bottom tier 10 way, not a real AOTY contender.

I need to man up and post my list when I get home tonight.

Idk man, something about Atrocity Exhibition's absurd sound works for me. It's the only other album aside from Ka's in 2016 where I feel like I'm being taken on a ride through a strange place. With Honor of The Samurai it's feudal Japan by way of classic samurai movies, with AE it's some wild drug fueled dark cartoon. Surreal Detroit stories from Ralph Bakshi or something.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tribe got my final listen of the year. Pretty underwhelming and up and down for something that's so high on AotY lists. Lot of weird mixing (shit makes MBDTF sound like Whiplash), and not even in a trying-to-keep-it-lo-fi kind of way. Tip, Cons and Busta have moments where they're grooving like they're in their prime though.

Pitchfork/Hypebeast-Core Ranking: MBDTF > 808s > Yeezus > TLOP > WTT > LR > TCD > Graduation

Dusthead/Hip-Hop Purist Ranking: LR > TCD > WTT > MBDTF > Graduation > TLOP > 808s > Yeezus

Sadboys United Ranking: 808s > MBDTF > Yeezus > TLOP > LR > WTT> Graduation> TCD

Enzo Rule (Something like this) : MBDTF > Graduation > WTT > 808s > TCD > LR> TLOP > Yeezus
Glad we agree that, on average, MBDTF is the greatest Ye album.

Mood: MBDTF > TCD > 808s > Yeezus > LR > TLOP > Grad

https://youtu.be/nwpj9_hrK_A

I'm just gonna leave this here... Tinashe has leveled up, brehs.
#FREEJOYRIDE

Her label really screwed her sophomore album over, and she seems to be getting irritated with them now. Hell, they even sold the song she named the album for to Rihanna even AFTER she announced "Joyride" the album.

I'm hoping the record comes out sooner rather than later; her and Charli XCX's record are the two I'm most anticipated this year.

Dereck

I got the mooooooooves, I got the mooooooooves, I'm makin' mooooooooves, You gotta moooooooove

uSQB2pv.gif

She make that back moooooooove (damn), she make the titties move (god damn), I make the city moooooooove, I make the city moooooooove

I heard a very cool story about Eminem and Kendrick Lamar," he says. ”Eminem wanted, he heard that Kendrick Lamar was the best rapper and he invited him to the studio to get him on a song. He arrived and Kendrick came with all his mates and Eminem said, ‘I just want you in the studio, just you on your own. And then my engineer is gonna come in and then record you doing it. But your mates aren't allowed in.'"

Kendrick complied, ”wrote a sick verse" and everyone gathered around to see what the TDE rapper was truly capable of. And Cornrow Kenny nabbed an appearance on ”Love Game" off The Marshall Mathers LP 2.

”Eminem said that he did it to test Kendrick because he thought he had a ghostwriter," ”He then realized that he didn't, and then claimed he was the best, which is kinda cool."
http://hiphopdx.com/news/id.41931/t...lamar-to-make-sure-he-didnt-use-ghostwriters#

song was trash but that's a pretty cool story.

Nope, dustheads generally rank CD first.

Helmholtz

This Key x Reese tape is nice. 1UP has gotten constant play from me since it dropped. Makes me kinda salty that Before I Scream never got a high quality release though... I love that tape but man the 128kbps is such a bummer.
Optimistic about the Migos album, B&B/T-shirt are nice. Hopefully the rest of the album isn't filler shit.

This Key x Reese tape is nice. 1UP has gotten constant play from me since it dropped. Makes me kinda salty that Before I Scream never got a high quality release though... I love that tape but man the 128kbps is such a bummer.
Optimistic about the Migos album, B&B/T-shirt are nice. Hopefully the rest of the album isn't filler shit.

You didn't like Call Casting?

HiResDes

My man, in total agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom