• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

j-wood

So I'm a pretty casual rap listener, I don't really deep dive into the real underground guys.

But can anyone explain to me why the fuck every single song nowadays seems to start with "if young metro don't trust you imma shoot you"

It was on TLOP, it was all over Gucci's new album, and now I've heard it twice on this big sean album.

Koozek

RE: Sampha

how can a man's voice be so beautiful brehs

CtffG.jpg
YO, I was about to post the same, right now, after listening to the album for the first time today.

It's beautiful
BcpKZjv.png
BcpKZjv.png
BcpKZjv.png

Koozek

So I'm a pretty casual rap listener, I don't really deep dive into the real underground guys.

But can anyone explain to me why the fuck every single song nowadays seems to start with "if young metro don't trust you imma shoot you"

It was on TLOP, it was all over Gucci's new album, and now I've heard it twice on this big sean album.
He's a highly-respected OG on the streets of Atlanta, who's like the spiritual "leader" of many gangster rappers. He decides who is allowed to be part of the scene and has many henchmen who mercilessly shoot those that Metro doesn't deem trustworthy. If you're a rapper from there and don't use that signature sound in the beginning of your songs, you could be in danger real quick. That's why you hear it everywhere.

MoodyFog

Because Metro Boomin' is that dude

j-wood

He's a highly-respected OG on the streets of Atlanta, who's like the spiritual "leader" of many gangster rappers. He decides who is allowed to be part of the scene and has many henchmen who mercilessly shoot those that Metro doesn't deem trustworthy. If you're a rapper from there and don't use that signature sound in the beginning of your songs, you could be in danger real quick. That's why you hear it everywhere.

wow.

shoelacer

Banned
it ain't an eminem verse if it doesn't involve rape and beating women
nj4ZVwl.png
needs to do the world a favour and put the mic down for good

He'll never retire as long as dummies keep slobbering all over whatever trash he farts out. Dude sells an insane amount of records to angry suburbanite teenagers

shoelacer

Banned
Lol yeah he's a regular 23 year old coach k

Bless up.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
So he's a terrorist?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This Big Sean album is painfully mediocre. Just uneventful front to back.

Little of the album plays to Big Sean's strengths or excels uniformly in any category. Poorly sung hooks, somewhat cohesive/atmospheric but ultimately samey/forgettable production, samey flows. Poor/generic feeling songwriting, and Sean shouldn't be trying to do concept albums.

Bounce Back and Bigger Than Me are legitimately good songs, Sean snaps on No Favors, and Halfway Off the Balcony and Voices in my Head / Stick to the Plan are decent and maaaaaaaaybe Sunday Morning Jetpack. The Em verse is terrible for sure, but I liked that "You'll get a round like Digital Underground' line
because I've heard it in battle rap before

So strange coming off of Dark Sky Paradise, which was pretty much the opposite of this even though the production is similar in style.

Ninja Dom

That's the "tag" that Metro Boomin' puts at the start of every song he produces.

Little of the album plays to Big Sean's strengths or excels uniformly in any category. Poorly sung hooks, somewhat cohesive/atmospheric but ultimately samey/forgettable production, samey flows. Poor/generic feeling songwriting, and Sean shouldn't be trying to do concept albums.

Bounce Back and Bigger Than Me are legitimately good songs, Sean snaps on No Favors, and Halfway Off the Balcony and Voices in my Head / Stick to the Plan are decent and maaaaaaaaybe Sunday Morning Jetpack. The Em verse is terrible for sure, but I liked that "You'll get a round like Digital Underground' line

So strange coming off of Dark Sky Paradise, which was pretty much the opposite of this even though the production is similar in style.

Big Sean album is ok at best, it got better towards the second half.

Yado

Yeah, listening now and it sounds...uninspired. Living Single is the only song I really liked from this era and it's not on here.

FZZ

Banned
What's PD's new account tho

I'm trash at this identifying shit

Also what was the place all ex gaf hoppers go to?

illadelph

Yeah, listening now and it sounds...uninspired. Living Single is the only song I really liked from this era and it's not on here.

I haven't listened to the album yet, but it's definitely strange that neither Living Single nor No More Interviews is included, as they're both great fucking tracks.

It means he produced it.
Except on TLOP, on TLOP Kanye used his drum pack for one part of the song, didn't do much at all, they decided to use the tag because it elevates the knocker.

IrishNinja

Em's verse is trash. There's a kernel of an idea about going at all these republican media mouth pieces, and Trump himself, but the whole thing is smothered in pointless words about violence and rape. Like not even witty violence and rape, he's just resorted to listing items he'd beat/rape people with in recent years. Terrible.

The Blueprint 3 is a good album, the eh songs aren't offensively bad, it has banging beats and quality/original lyricism.
Reminder and Young Forever are the only songs that can really be trashed.
Have no idea why this is insulted so much, it's like people completely gloss over how horrible The Blueprint 2 is within the span of Jay's career while acting as though The Blueprint 3 adds to his "lackluster" post retirement career, it's nothing like KC or MCHG in quality.
No rapper balances pop music/complex lyricism/flows as well as well as Jay.
Venus vs Mars is insane.

Also, for the Aesop Rock fans, I'm starting to really enjoy this guy, his prose is so different than any rapper I've tried thus far, he doesn't really have the same emotional impact on me but his lyricism is like a novel, moments like "Cherry no, whip yes", or when he mentions the Baseball coach coming with the aluminum bat behind him on The Impossible Kid are incredible.
But so far my favorite has been Float (I've only played that, impossible, and labor), has a really gritty/atmospheric feel and is easy to bounce to, plus it feels folksy (not sure how to describe what I mean by that).
What project would you say I should check out next if i'm loving that?

Also, for the Aesop Rock fans, I'm starting to really enjoy this guy, his prose is so different than any rapper I've tried thus far, he doesn't really have the same emotional impact on me but his lyricism is like a novel, moments like "Cherry no, whip yes", or when he mentions the Baseball coach coming with the aluminum bat behind him on The Impossible Kid are incredible.
But so far my favorite has been Float (I've only played that, impossible, and labor), has a really gritty/atmospheric feel and is easy to bounce to, plus it feels folksy (not sure how to describe what I mean by that).

Labor Days is his best. Check that one out.

The Blueprint 3 is a good album, the eh songs aren't offensively bad, it has banging beats and quality/original lyricism.
Reminder and Young Forever are the only songs that can really be trashed.
Have no idea why this is insulted so much, it's like people completely gloss over how horrible The Blueprint 2 is within the span of Jay's career while acting as though The Blueprint 3 adds to his "lackluster" post retirement career, it's nothing like KC or MCHG in quality.
No rapper balances pop music/complex lyricism/flows as well as well as Jay.
Venus vs Mars is insane.

BP3 is decent, finally found someone who agress lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom