• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see.. I haven't really listened to TLOP and Watch The Throne yet, so I'm gonna skip ranking those

1. MBDTF
2. 808s & Heartbreak
3. Late Registration
4. College Dropout
5. Yeezus
6. Graduation

That sounds about right, except for Yeezus, which is a really weird album and I don't really know how to rank it. Hold My Liquor is one of my favorite Kanye songs though. MBDTF is pretty clearly first place in my book. He just went all out, a million layers of instruments and voices on every track.

Oh yea, I've also been listening to Madvillany. Phenomenal album. I think I have a thing for albums/songs that sample prog rock songs (Strange Ways on Madvillany).

The best thing about WTT is that it gave us 3 phenomenal singles: "Otis", "No Church In The Wild" and "Niggas in Paris." The production on the album is immaculate although the bars on it aren't as memorable as I'd have liked. It's Kanye's weakest album by far, and I think everyone knows that hence why it never shows up on Kanye lists.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
The best thing about WTT is that it gave us 3 phenomenal singles: "Otis", "No Church In The Wild" and "Niggas in Paris." The production on the album is immaculate although the bars on it aren't as memorable as I'd have liked. It's Kanye's weakest album by far, and I think everyone knows that hence why it never shows up on Kanye lists.
I disagree that it's his weakest. College Dropout and Late Registration are very bloated.

WaffleTaco

WTT aint shit

We got Otis, HAM, and Who Gon Stop Me, Niggas in Paris, and I think somethin else. That's it. Album. Ain't. Shit.
No Chruch in the Wild is amazing, Lift Off is decent, Gotta Have it is decent too, same with That's My Bitch, Welcome to the Jungle is okay, and Murder to Excellence is soooo good to. Why I love You is not bad either. I would argue the weakest are: New Day, and Made in America.

I disagree that it's his weakest. College Dropout and Late Registration are very bloated.
Noooooooooo.

Look, I'm not even the biggest fan of "Dropout" but to put it towards the bottom just seems wrong. LR, I can agree that it is a bit bloated, but this is an album that has "Diamonds from Sierra Leone", "Gone", "Crack Music", "Heard Em Say", "Touch The Sky", "My Way Home", "Gold Digger", and "Bring Me Down", all of which are phenomenal.

Let's see.. I haven't really listened to TLOP and Watch The Throne yet, so I'm gonna skip ranking those

1. MBDTF
2. 808s & Heartbreak
3. Late Registration
4. College Dropout
5. Yeezus
6. Graduation

That sounds about right, except for Yeezus, which is a really weird album and I don't really know how to rank it. Hold My Liquor is one of my favorite Kanye songs though. MBDTF is pretty clearly first place in my book. He just went all out, a million layers of instruments and voices on every track.

Oh yea, I've also been listening to Madvillany. Phenomenal album. I think I have a thing for albums/songs that sample prog rock songs (Strange Ways on Madvillany).

Gentle Giant is such a great band. Also, Close to the Edge a 6/5 for me.

Catvoca

Banned
LR seems a bit bloated until you look at the track list and realise there's not a single song worth cutting because they're all great.

T Dollarz

Watch the Throne was dope when it released but steadily became more and more whack. I haven't even considered listening to it in a few years.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Didn't think I'd ever say that again but this lupe fiasco record is nice

I feel like I've been seeing people say this after his last three albums.

F&L2 was good. T&Y was god damn amazing. This new album is good so far. (Only a few songs in but the intro and "Jump" are bangers.)

Nibel

wow, that thread is flabby and sick, three days old still on page 1, has less momentum than a des rap up thread

lol

hvmXWWh.png

Koozek

I've heard it a few times, but honestly couldn't get into it that much. I'm not the biggest Talib fan, really. His flow has always been.....stilted and clunky.
Definitely know what you mean, lol. This is the type of rappity-rap rap I can't stand anymore. I don't listen to him either outside of some older tracks and only because of the production.

Maybe just check out Hi-Teknology then.

Definitely know what you mean, lol. This is the type of rappity-rap rap I can't stand anymore. I don't listen to him either outside of some older tracks and only because of the production.

Well I love Traditional rap technique and flow, but he often feels forced to me. Compared to guys like Nas and Rakim who enunciate so well but have such an amazing sense of cadence.

WaffleTaco

Uh no...let's hope not. Seriously it's Beyoncé or bust for me, Views was basic and bloated and only got a nomination based on sales. Same with Adele and Bieber.

Is it racist if my coworker doesn't understand anything rappers say except for eminem

I would say not entirley, but kind of. There are definitely rappers that hard to understand (mumble rap is not helping this sterotype), but there are a lot of rappers besides Eminem that are very easy to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom