• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has a really smart dumb verse on Coloring Book where he says that:
"I don't believe in science I believe in signs"
Anyway if I stopped listening to rappers because they said dumb shit I'd have to erase pretty much all of my playlist.
Not that I listen to Chance though, he's trash.

For some reason it's worse when smart dumb rappers say smart dumb trash.

I'm feeling overconfident, so here's my bet for 2018's Grammys.

A Tribe Called Quest will get a nomination for Album of the Year, but will ultimately lose to yet another Caucasian artist with an album that sold well but reviewed worse.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Lamp post, door handle, shutter
A damn bolt cutter, a sandal, a can opener
A candle, rubber, piano, a flannel, sucker
Some hand soap, butter, a banjo and manhole cover

tumblr_naolr3pBBW1td3boho1_500.gif

When was the last dope Eminem BAR?
The last bar on No Favors.
"My success is like your problems, self-made."
Too bad everything else was garbage.
Anyways some people think it was more of that yell/word nonsense, but I actually enjoy his feature on Medicine Man.
Lamp post, door handle, shutter
A damn bolt cutter, a sandal, a can opener
A candle, rubber, piano, a flannel, sucker
Some hand soap, butter, a banjo and manhole cover

tumblr_naolr3pBBW1td3boho1_500.gif
Oh god.

The last bar on No Favors.
"My success is like your problems, self-made."
Too bad everything rise was garbage.
Anyways some people think it was more of that yell/word nonsense, but I actually enjoy his feature on Medicine Man.
Oh god.
ah yes, medicine man was actually pretty good. Kendrick's verse on Deep Water is the only thing I tend to remember from Compton.

Oh damn, you're right. I forgot about that album.

So I rose and grew balls, told these hoes to screw off/
Decided opposing you is what I'm ‘posed to do, alls/
I did was say what I'm feeling when the vocal booth calls/
And had you on pins and needles when I spoke to you all/
You felt my pain, it's almost like I poked voodoo dolls/
And I hope my spirit haunts the studios when I'm gone/
My picture jumps off a poster and just floats through the halls/
And fucking goes through the walls like the ghost of Lou Rawls/

Moonkid

Don't mind me, another lurker reporting in! I want to keep up with releases and listen to more music in general so I figured I should get active.

1. Pick a Coast to rep (Chiraq/Atlantistan/etc) - Dunno
2. What’s your favorite subgenre of rap? (Conscious/Backpack, Trap/Drill, Mafioso, WC Gangsta, Swag, Weed, Hyphy, Club, etc) - Conscious/backpack, though isn't the latter something of a perjorative?
3. Favorite Artists (Pick Five) - Cunninlynguists, Clipping, Kendrick, Beastie Boys, Nujabes
4. Favorite Artists Outside of Hip-Hop (Pick Five) - El Huervo, Daft Punk, Luca Turilli/Rhapsody of Fire, J.S. Bach, can't pick a favourite out of Pink Floyd and Radiohead hmm
5. What was your hip-hop AOTY last year? What’s your current hip-hop AOTY? - Didn't listen enough to declare an AOTY of any consequence.
6. What are you listening to right now? – Andy Shauf, Grimes, and Radiohead.
7. What’s something you like that you might consider a guilty pleasure? What’s something you haven’t listened to that you think a hip-hop aficionado might give you shit for? - I don't do guilty pleasures but Kero Kero Bonito is probably the contender heh.
8. Rank a Random Rapper’s Discography (Pick Someone With > 3 Albums)
A Piece of Strange > Oneirology ~ Dirty Acres > Southernunderground = Will Rap For Food

GAF-Hop Discusses

1. What do you like about the current state of hip-hop? What’s missing from the game? - We need more ensembles! I dig Migos but their live performances leave something to be desired. I really enjoyed the Tribe performance on the Grammys for this reason.
2. Who’s Your Favorite Wu-Tang Member? - Haven't listened to them >_>
3. Jay-Z or Nas? Biggie or Pac? Lil' B or Anyone else (correct answer is Lil' B)? - Respect the guy but Lil B's rapping is pretty unremarkable.
4. What Hip-Hop Album Are You Currently Anticipating? - Kendrick's for sure. Hopefully Cunninlynguists drop something this year or the next too.
5. Who is the Most Underrated Emcee? Who is the Most Overrated? Daveed Diggs deserves more recognition, dude is lethal on the mic.
6. Would You Rather Eat An Ass or Have Your Ass Eaten? - Either is winning in my book.
7. Onions, Avocados, Both, or Neither? - Both. Onions are perhaps the most useful vege and avacadoes are great for your skin.
8. Do you still listen to Eminem? Why? - Never listened to him.
9. Who’s your favorite pop artist? And who’s the finest? - Digging Grimes a lot, Art Angels bangs.
10. Recall a personal event that went down about a week ago... – Got real plastered and emotional on the first night of a camping trip.

A Tribe Called Quest will get a nomination for Album of the Year, but will ultimately lose to yet another Caucasian artist with an album that sold well but reviewed worse.

Adele's fine, she's a nice lady with a great voice. as long as it didn't go to a country singer or taylor swift. nobody really gives a shit who won album of the year like a day later anyways.

and yeah Eminem's verse on that boring Compton album was actually pretty good, he can often be hella corny but it was a solid feature.

Just made potentially the worst Valentines Day playlist of all time, still have a few edits to go though so maybe I'll salvage it.
I need a smooth song along the lines of The World Is Filled or Redbone or The Flyest in terms of sound, any suggestions?
edit: Also something smooth like Party Life by Jay, and a ballad type song like Cherry Wine/Pink Matter/White Dress.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.

Pretty much. Fucking ridiculous racist Grammy's.

NandoGip

Been wanting to get more active in this thread for a while, so I figured i'd jump in.

1. Pick a Coast to rep (Chiraq/Atlantistan/etc)- East coast, Beast coast

2. What’s your favorite subgenre of rap? (Conscious/Backpack, Trap/Drill, Mafioso, WC Gangsta, Swag, Weed, Hyphy, Club, etc) - I grew up on garbage rap so it will always have a place in my heart (hot boys, early 2000's atlanta, late 2000's lil wayne, "trap" music from the last few years) BUT i have an appreciation for ALL things hip-hop from the pretentious to the underground.

3. Favorite Artists (Pick Five)- 1. Mixtape Weezy 2. Biggie 3. Peak Jay-Z 4. Peak Kanye 5. Young Thug/Travis Scott tie

4. Favorite Artists Outside of Hip-Hop (Pick Five)- 1. Daft Punk 2. MJ 3. Queen 4. RHCP 5. Sublime

5. What was your hip-hop AOTY last year? What’s your current hip-hop AOTY? - I know the consensus is mixed but TLOP was my favorite. Would've been perfect if he dropped those couple cringey ass lines.

I got nothing for this year, but i only jumped on 6lack's album in the last few weeks so I can count that for 2017.

6. What are you listening to right now? – Saba - Bucket List Project, Big Sean/Migos albums

7. What’s something you like that you might consider a guilty pleasure? What’s something you haven’t listened to that you think a hip-hop aficionado might give you shit for? - 1. The new wave of young rappers (Uzi Vert, Kodak, Yachty, etc). 2. I haven't listened to Danny Browns critically acclaimed album from last year.

8. Rank a Random Rapper’s Discography (Pick Someone With > 3 Albums) Lil Wayne: Carter 3 > Carter 4 = Carter 2

GAF-Hop Discusses

1. What do you like about the current state of hip-hop? What’s missing from the game? - I like the diversity and variety of what is popular and successful. What's missing is a new generation talented rapper that is also relatable. The ones we have, have been around too long (J. Cole types)

2. Who’s Your Favorite Wu-Tang Member? - Tie between Ghostface and Method

3. Jay-Z or Nas? Biggie or Pac? Lil' B or Anyone else (correct answer is Lil' B)? - Jay > Nas, Pac = Biggie, Lil B meme is tired

4. What Hip-Hop Album Are You Currently Anticipating? - Whatever Thugger drops next

5. Who is the Most Underrated Emcee? Who is the Most Overrated? The entirety of this wave of Boston artists. I represent Boston hard, but I'll admit our rappers have been garbage for a long time. The thing is we now objectively have some STRONG artists, and I can see 2-3 making it to XXL Freshmen list. Overrated: Chance the Rapper

6. Would You Rather Eat An Ass or Have Your Ass Eaten? - Aint no one coming near my hairy ass butthole, whether I want it to happen or not.

7. Onions, Avocados, Both, or Neither? - Both

8. Do you still listen to Eminem? Why? - His old shit is classic, I listen to at least one song per week.

9. Who’s your favorite pop artist? And who’s the finest? - M.J. the GOAT. The finest is that chick that Kanye had in the video for his song off TLOP.

10. Recall a personal event that went down about a week ago... – Caught a body

Koozek

Been wanting to get more active in this thread for a while, so I figured i'd jump in.

1. Pick a Coast to rep (Chiraq/Atlantistan/etc)- East coast, Beast coast

2. What’s your favorite subgenre of rap? (Conscious/Backpack, Trap/Drill, Mafioso, WC Gangsta, Swag, Weed, Hyphy, Club, etc) - I grew up on garbage rap so it will always have a place in my heart (hot boys, early 2000's atlanta, late 2000's lil wayne, "trap" music from the last few years) BUT i have an appreciation for ALL things hip-hop from the pretentious to the underground.

3. Favorite Artists (Pick Five)- 1. Mixtape Weezy 2. Biggie 3. Peak Jay-Z 4. Peak Kanye 5. Young Thug/Travis Scott tie

4. Favorite Artists Outside of Hip-Hop (Pick Five)- 1. Daft Punk 2. MJ 3. Queen 4. RHCP 5. Sublime

5. What was your hip-hop AOTY last year? What’s your current hip-hop AOTY? - I know the consensus is mixed but TLOP was my favorite. Would've been perfect if he dropped those couple cringey ass lines.

I got nothing for this year, but i only jumped on 6lack's album in the last few weeks so I can count that for 2017.

6. What are you listening to right now? – Saba - Bucket List Project, Big Sean/Migos albums

7. What’s something you like that you might consider a guilty pleasure? What’s something you haven’t listened to that you think a hip-hop aficionado might give you shit for? - 1. The new wave of young rappers (Uzi Vert, Kodak, Yachty, etc). 2. I haven't listened to Danny Browns critically acclaimed album from last year.

8. Rank a Random Rapper’s Discography (Pick Someone With > 3 Albums) Lil Wayne: Carter 3 > Carter 4 = Carter 2

GAF-Hop Discusses

1. What do you like about the current state of hip-hop? What’s missing from the game? - I like the diversity and variety of what is popular and successful. What's missing is a new generation talented rapper that is also relatable. The ones we have, have been around too long (J. Cole types)

2. Who’s Your Favorite Wu-Tang Member? - Tie between Ghostface and Method

3. Jay-Z or Nas? Biggie or Pac? Lil' B or Anyone else (correct answer is Lil' B)? - Jay > Nas, Pac = Biggie, Lil B meme is tired

4. What Hip-Hop Album Are You Currently Anticipating? - Whatever Thugger drops next

5. Who is the Most Underrated Emcee? Who is the Most Overrated? The entirety of this wave of Boston artists. I represent Boston hard, but I'll admit our rappers have been garbage for a long time. The thing is we now objectively have some STRONG artists, and I can see 2-3 making it to XXL Freshmen list. Overrated: Chance the Rapper

6. Would You Rather Eat An Ass or Have Your Ass Eaten? - Aint no one coming near my hairy ass butthole, whether I want it to happen or not.

7. Onions, Avocados, Both, or Neither? - Both

8. Do you still listen to Eminem? Why? - His old shit is classic, I listen to at least one song per week.

9. Who’s your favorite pop artist? And who’s the finest? - M.J. the GOAT. The finest is that chick that Kanye had in the video for his song off TLOP.
Welcome, good answe--
10. Recall a personal event that went down about a week ago... – Caught a body

wait, what
whoo.png

sasliquid

Having one of those "I'm worried Jai Paul is dead" days

Considering doing some canvassing for my local Labour Party this weekend cos it's in Rayner's Lane (where he's from)

That's the old white dude with the guitar, right? Well, that worked out great, I guess, lol. One hit wonder.

image.php

Jokes aside, what's his essential project? Thanks.
I'll have you know that's A.K. Paul, not Jai, so I bet you feel dumb now.

There's literally only two known projects; Everlasting (a mixtape that had a bunch of rough cuts of songs on the leak) and the leak. Both are phenomenal, and despite the fact he only has 30 minutes of music to his name, I've listened to his songs a total of ~1000 times or so last.fm tells me.

This is Everlasting.

The leak is literally something you can find if you google it.

riotous

Banned
Can always count on gaf to cry about useless awards.

It's ludicrous to me.

Grammy voters apply to vote; they just have to have been in the industry long enough to contribute in some way to six tracks. It's likely a bunch of older people, since artists in their prime aren't going to be voting for multiple reasons (you can't vote if you submit material, you probably just aren't that interested in becoming an "academy member" in general.)

https://www.grammy.org/recording-academy/awards/voting-process/faqs#four

Who can vote?
Recording Academy Voting Members only. Media companies do not vote.

Who qualifies as a Voting Member?
Recording Academy Voting Members are professionals with creative or technical credits on at least six commercially released tracks (or their equivalent). These may include vocalists, conductors, songwriters, composers, engineers, producers, instrumentalists, arrangers, art directors, album notes writers, narrators, and music video artists and technicians.

This is not a scientific process; it's not "The Grammys" choosing the winners it's a bunch of random ass industry veterans.

For specific album categories they attempt to have only "Experts in the genre" vote, but it's pretty clear that it's still a pretty lame group of people voting.

For the non-genre categories like "album of the year" obviously it's not going to be a bunch of hardcore hip hop heads voting.

If you want to change who wins, you'd basically need a "Get out and vote" drive for people in the industry that love and follow modenr hip-hop. But then.. who fucking cares? You'd just be stuffing the ballots in an incredibly non-scientific process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom