• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

Doytch

2:56:51 btw. Last PR was 3:04:08 and I figured I'd break it, but was nice to see that the buffer I gave myself on the hills wasn't necessary. They're kind of a joke compared to the hills here.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
2:56:51 btw. Last PR was 3:04:08 and I figured I'd break it, but was nice to see that the buffer I gave myself on the hills wasn't necessary. They're kind of a joke compared to the hills here.

Nicely done! Yeah I looked at the elevation profile for Heartbreak Hill and it wasn't even 100 feet of gain, if I remember correctly.

Congrats! You killed it.

I had a pretty good day as well. 3:04:44 for a four minute PR. Had plenty left aerobicly, but my legs were shot after the hills.

Glad to hear you're safe.

Doytch

Nicely done! Yeah I looked at the elevation profile for Heartbreak Hill and it wasn't even 100 feet of gain, if I remember correctly.
Yeah...I checked it the week before and noticed that the climb on Van Dyke to Oberlin is basically the same thing and I hit that almost every single run. So I wasn't too concerned.
Congrats! You killed it.

I had a pretty good day as well. 3:04:44 for a four minute PR. Had plenty left aerobicly, but my legs were shot after the hills.

Nice. First time as well?

So, shoes. I'm looking for something for when I concrete run. I'm using Nike Free Run's right now on concrete and I am in excellent health, but I don't want to push my legs too far in these shoes. They really get my legs tired fast, which I suppose is fine, but I'm thinking something with more cushion would be more smart. What do you guys use when training on concrete?

Are there any good sites that calculate your MPH when you know your time and distance?

I can't seem to find one.

They all suck.

So, shoes. I'm looking for something for when I concrete run. I'm using Nike Free Run's right now on concrete and I am in excellent health, but I don't want to push my legs too far in these shoes. They really get my legs tired fast, which I suppose is fine, but I'm thinking something with more cushion would be more smart. What do you guys use when training on concrete?

I love my New Balance 890V3s and have used them for about 300 miles of my marathon training (all concrete).

http://www.newbalance.com/New-Balan..._Yellow_and_White&start=4&q=890v3&cgid=172000

Good review of them as well.

http://www.runningshoesguru.com/2012/12/new-balance-890-v3-review/

Doytch

Speaking of shoes, my race-dedicated adizero rockets need to be retired now. So, I'm all out of stockpiled rockets, after something like six years of wearing them. Been screwing around with the minimus zeros (like them, but not for halves/marathons or hard/long tempo runs), Nike frees (bulky), some mizunos I instareturned and still haven't hit on anything.

Tempted to get the Adidas Takumi Sen, but no stores have it nearby for testing. Hagio is another option. Anyone have experience with the Takumi Sens, or is a Rocket lover who found something decent to replace them?

Basically: 4-6mm drop, extremely light upper, stiff forefoot, minimal cushioning, light overall. Go!

Yeah...I checked it the week before and noticed that the climb on Van Dyke to Oberlin is basically the same thing and I hit that almost every single run. So I wasn't too concerned.

Nice. First time as well?

Yup. First time. Ran pretty conservatively since I wanted to enjoy my first Boston experience.
My last five miles still ended up off the pace though as I was nursing my legs to not cramp.

Still got my BQ -5 though! Didn't think I was going to run it again, but after the bombing, I think I might.

Congrats! You killed it.

Congrats! I'll need to hit around your time to BQ, and I'd like to give myself a shot at it this year although it might not be realistic since my marathon PR is about 3:27:00. Giving some though to getting a charity entry since I really want to go any way I can next year. I did hire a coach last month (who ran Boston this year in 2:37, and was safe thereafter) so I'm hoping I'll see some tangible improvement. Various overuse injuries have been a big problem for me but I'm doing much better now.

Adding to the shoe talk, I'm rotating Kinvara 3's, Altra Instincts, and Kinvara TR's. Love all three of them so far. The Altra of course is zero drop...this is my first experience with that, but they feel really good. All of this being said, I think I'll be in the market soon for a good racing flat. Any suggestions on that front?

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Speaking of shoes, my race-dedicated adizero rockets need to be retired now. So, I'm all out of stockpiled rockets, after something like six years of wearing them. Been screwing around with the minimus zeros (like them, but not for halves/marathons or hard/long tempo runs), Nike frees (bulky), some mizunos I instareturned and still haven't hit on anything.

Tempted to get the Adidas Takumi Sen, but no stores have it nearby for testing. Hagio is another option. Anyone have experience with the Takumi Sens, or is a Rocket lover who found something decent to replace them?

Basically: 4-6mm drop, extremely light upper, stiff forefoot, minimal cushioning, light overall. Go!

I wear Adidas, as well. Hagio for 5k and under and Adios for every race distance over 5k. I haven't tried the Rocket's or Takumi's, but my trainer is the Boston 3 and out of all three of the shoes I wear, the Adios seems to fit and feel the best. The Hagio's have minimal cushioning so I'd only wear those for longer runs if you're used to shoes with a low heel-toe drop and not a lot of cushion.

Doytch

Congrats! I'll need to hit around your time to BQ, and I'd like to give myself a shot at it this year although it might not be realistic since my marathon PR is about 3:27:00. Giving some though to getting a charity entry since I really want to go any way I can next year. I did hire a coach last month (who ran Boston this year in 2:37, and was safe thereafter) so I'm hoping I'll see some tangible improvement. Various overuse injuries have been a big problem for me but I'm doing much better now.

Adding to the shoe talk, I'm rotating Kinvara 3's, Altra Instincts, and Kinvara TR's. Love all three of them so far. The Altra of course is zero drop...this is my first experience with that, but they feel really good. All of this being said, I think I'll be in the market soon for a good racing flat. Any suggestions on that front?
It's totally doable and don't listen to anyone who says differently. I always think that people sell themselves way too short with goals in athletics and runners especially. Put in the time and you will be there, and I'm proof of it. I qualified in my first marathon. I probably came off as brash or naive or cocky to other runners, but you don't have to do some ridiculous shave-five-minutes-off-your-PR-each-marathon progression to qualify. Huge strides are incredibly possible for marathoners like us 2:40+. A race in August gives you what...16+ weeks? That's perfect. Get on it, and to crib from Adidas, all in!
I wear Adidas, as well. Hagio for 5k and under and Adios for every race distance over 5k. I haven't tried the Rocket's or Takumi's, but my trainer is the Boston 3 and out of all three of the shoes I wear, the Adios seems to fit and feel the best. The Hagio's have minimal cushioning so I'd only wear those for longer runs if you're used to shoes with a low heel-toe drop and not a lot of cushion.
From what I can find, the Rockets are 23mm heel/18mm toe compared to the Hagio's 17/12 and the Takumi Sen's 25/19. The Adios is tempting me because of its pedigree, but the drop/cushion seems pretty substantial compared to what I usually rock, like my zero drop Vivobarefoots for trail running and minimus zeros for easy runs. I think I'll drop by Fleet Feet in the next little while to try out the Hagios, since I've got a $15 gift cert for them and see if they can order the Takumi's if I don't like the Hagios. Takumi Sens are also way sexier. Pink > yellow.

How's the heel back on the Hagios? Stiff or floppy?

It's totally doable and don't listen to anyone who says differently. I always think that people sell themselves way too short with goals in athletics and runners especially. Put in the time and you will be there, and I'm proof of it. I qualified in my first marathon. I probably came off as brash or naive or cocky to other runners, but you don't have to do some ridiculous shave-five-minutes-off-your-PR-each-marathon progression to qualify. Huge strides are incredibly possible for marathoners like us 2:40+. A race in August gives you what...16+ weeks? That's perfect. Get on it, and to crib from Adidas, all in!

My main problem has been lousy race execution, even in my PR marathon. My coach has already been very helpful in that regard. My training just in the last couple of weeks has been much better, and I've got a 10K on Sunday to sort of assess where I am. Also have a half mary two weeks from Sunday...going to use that to work on my race execution. I'm hoping to hit 1:35:00 for that one.

Doytch

My main problem has been lousy race execution, even in my PR marathon. My coach has already been very helpful in that regard. My training just in the last couple of weeks has been much better, and I've got a 10K on Sunday to sort of assess where I am. Also have a half mary two weeks from Sunday...going to use that to work on my race execution. I'm hoping to hit 1:35:00 for that one.
Execution as in pacing? Nutrition-related, you think? What's your coach been telling you? Just interested...

duderon

rollin' in the gutter

From what I can find, the Rockets are 23mm heel/18mm toe compared to the Hagio's 17/12 and the Takumi Sen's 25/19. The Adios is tempting me because of its pedigree, but the drop/cushion seems pretty substantial compared to what I usually rock, like my zero drop Vivobarefoots for trail running and minimus zeros for easy runs. I think I'll drop by Fleet Feet in the next little while to try out the Hagios, since I've got a $15 gift cert for them and see if they can order the Takumi's if I don't like the Hagios. Takumi Sens are also way sexier. Pink > yellow.

How's the heel back on the Hagios? Stiff or floppy?

The heel cup and heel cushioning are fairly stiff.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
How'd it go today?!

Fairly well, I wanted to break 60, but the course was a little too tough. 61:17, not sure about my place yet because the official results haven't been posted, probably somewhere 20-40. Went through mile 8 in 48:01 and then died on the Laurel Hill. Nicely organized race and great turnout all around!

Doytch

Fairly well, I wanted to break 60, but the course was a little too tough. 61:17, not sure about my place yet because the official results haven't been posted, probably somewhere 20-40. Went through mile 8 in 48:01 and then died on the Laurel Hill. Nicely organized race and great turnout all around!
Nice. Few of my friends did it and heard good things about it from them too.

ecurbj

Man, I went jogging yesterday on a track near my house and approaching like a mile on the track and saw a random hurdle. I jumped it but my foot got caught and I tripped and fell to the ground. Minor cut on my left hand, minor cut on my right knee but a serious scuff on my right hand. I still ran however. I did 2.41 miles before calling it quits but man was that a mess, lol.

Treadmill 10K yesterday.

Was supposed to go slow for my training program so clocked in at 54 min.

10K in July, 1/2 in October. Plenty of time to get where I want to be.

Execution as in pacing? Nutrition-related, you think? What's your coach been telling you? Just interested...

Mostly pacing so far. I'll be getting into the nutritional stuff later on when I start hitting the half marys.

Had my first race of the year finally yesterday, the Pike's Peek 10k in Rockville, MD. My focus was on general pace execution, so I set a modest goal of around a 7:00~7:10 pace. The idea was to do -5 sec off target for about the first mile (was still too fast) then get into target through mile 5, and finally hit my extra gear for the last 1.2 miles. Ended just under 44 minutes (no official time yet). I'm satisfied, given my current conditioning level due to early year injuries.

I've got the Frederick Half Marathon in about two weeks, but before then I've got dental surgery on Wednesday that will disrupt my training for a few days :(.

Been very intrigued by the Skechers running shoe line after hearing a lot of good feedback about them. I do want to get the GoRun Speed (aka GoMeb) eventually, but the Tyson's Corner, VA retail store didn't have them so I went with the Go Bionic. They are zero drop and 6 oz, making them the lightest shoe I own. Hope to maybe give them a try this week before Wednesday.

I am just coming back from the flu and my crossfit class at work starts the WOD with a 2 mile run. I Ran with a group of about 25 people and finished in about 13:50. I was so mellowed out the rest of the day.

Sooo bone bruises are no joke. It's been seven weeks now and my knee is still bothering me. Crazy, I heard bruise and didn't think much of it but this has caused me to miss my entire outdoor season.

kottila

In my best running shape ever and then *boom* I wake up with a sore throat the day before the only schedulded race of the hear. I know that I.van't do anything about it, but I'm still drinking as much placebo as possible (watm water with c-vitamin extract, lemon juice, honey and ginger)

Doytch

In my best running shape ever and then *boom* I wake up with a sore throat the day before the only schedulded race of the hear. I know that I.van't do anything about it, but I'm still drinking as much placebo as possible (watm water with c-vitamin extract, lemon juice, honey and ginger)
8+ drops of oil of oregano containing at least 60% carvacrol (but no more than 80%, that stuff's for cleaning supplies...) and 10+ drops of elderberry extract. Mix it into a half-cup of water and knock it back two/three times a day. It's one of the few things that /actually/ works, unlike vitamin C, echinacea, blah blah blah. Way better than cold medicine also.

kottila

Woke up at 6 more even more sore than the day before, but since I had no other symptoms i decided to at least try to run. Luckily it soon got better and i hardly felt anything during the race. A new pb by almost 15min. 1.34.22 in a tough course is much better than i would have dreamed of. The adrenaline of a race really makes you perform above your normal runs.

dFzVuEN.png

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Woke up at 6 more even more sore than the day before, but since I had no other symptoms i decided to at least try to run. Luckily it soon got better and i hardly felt anything during the race. A new pb by almost 15min. 1.34.22 in a tough course is much better than i would have dreamed of. The adrenaline of a race really makes you perform above your normal runs.

dFzVuEN.png

Wow, congrats on the PR. That elevation gain is monstrous.

I had a mini-breakthrough in the 5k I ran today with a 30ish second PR. 17:32 good for 3rd place.

Doytch

http://i.imgur.com/dFzVuEN.png[img][/QUOTE]
Grats dude. Training's obv paying off with a huge PR like that. Anything else in the plans or taking a week to recharge and figure it out later?
[quote="duderon, post: 55777020"]Wow, congrats on the PR. That elevation gain is monstrous.

I had a mini-breakthrough in the 5k I ran today with a 30ish second PR. 17:32 good for 3rd place.[/QUOTE]
Moar PRs! Moar! The one in Nash Square? I live in the Hue and coming back from my morning swim I saw that massive flag as I rolled home down Hargett. Speakerphone dude even managed to wake up my GF!

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Grats dude. Training's obv paying off with a huge PR like that. Anything else in the plans or taking a week to recharge and figure it out later?

Moar PRs! Moar! The one in Nash Square? I live in the Hue and coming back from my morning swim I saw that massive flag as I rolled home down Hargett. Speakerphone dude even managed to wake up my GF!

Yup, Run for our Heroes. Nicely put on and I like the course, too. Lots of small rolling hills downtown to keep you in check, but nothing too big to climb.

Sleepy

Looking for a sportswatch to track distance, speed, heart rate, calories, etc. Any suggestions? I wear Nike, but their sportswatch seems to get mixed reviews.

Today's my first run since getting dental surgery last Wednesday. Really hoping it goes well since not being able to run when I want to really, really sucks. Had some really nice weather over the weekend too.

I did manage to try the Skechers GO bionic last week, and loved them. Super lightweight but still very comfortable and definitely fast. Probably will be my go-to race shoe for now. Still going to try to procure a pair of Go Mebs at some point to see what the difference is at the very least.

Looking for a sportswatch to track distance, speed, heart rate, calories, etc. Any suggestions? I wear Nike, but their sportswatch seems to get mixed reviews.

It may be well out of your price range, but I've had a Garmin Forerunner 305 for a couple of years now and have never had a problem with it. It's a tad bulky but I got used it it very fast. Since it's older you might be able to find a deal on it, though Amazon currently lists it at about $330

Sleepy

Yikes! Just a bit outside my price range. :)

Good luck on your return run. I had been sidelined since January and ran my first run (a short three miles) yesterday. Tough...so tough. And I got stung a few times by a wasp. lol

Danielsan

Not sure about the Nike Sportswatch reviews, but as a first time sportswatch owner I really dig it. Seems to work very well, looks stylish and Nike+ is a pretty cool way to track your stats.

Sleepy

Have you just tried the sportwatch or have you used the sportband, too? One is $59 the other $159, so the price disparity is pretty big.

Danielsan

Have you just tried the sportwatch or have you used the sportband, too? One is $59 the other $159, so the price disparity is pretty big.
I only use the sportwatch + the food pod as I have no interest in my heart rate. The heart rate band is indeed pretty expensive so if measuring your heart rate is a must you'd probably be better off getting an entry level Garmin watch.

I really do love Nike+ though, but I'm a sucker for stats, graphs and bars. Got my SportWatch last week and already it has motivated me to run more often again.
K0qAloS.png

tK3xvj0.png

I used to track my stats with my android phone and mytracks previously, until I got a Galaxy S3 which was simply too bulky to comfortably run around with. The lack of stats really hurt my motivation. Glad to be back in the game though. :)

Have a marathon this coming weekend, and then a 50k on June 1. I did the 50k last year and it went well so I had definite plans for doing it again. Now that these two races are approaching, I'm getting worried. I planned to use the marathon as a training run for the 50k, but my training has definitely peaked for right now and I'm planning to give a hard effort at the marathon.

Marathon on May 5 which I trained well for, and ready. But I'm just not sure about recovery, and then fitting in another substantial long run (24-25 trail miles) sometime in May to feel ready for June 1. The 50k race director sent out an e-mail this morning that said "If you're not planning to run, please let me know because there's a waiting list." I'm thinking about it but I know there's a 95% chance I'll do the 50k no matter what.

I've been training hard all winter and feeling pretty exhausted right now. I'm happy to be tapering this week, but wondering how quickly I'll recover from the marathon and be able to get back into regular runs.

Sleepy

@Danielsan

Yeah that is what I am after. So that is the Nike Sportwatch? The $159 model? But you need the band to measure heart rate?

Thanks for the info/pics.

Yikes! Just a bit outside my price range. :)

Good luck on your return run. I had been sidelined since January and ran my first run (a short three miles) yesterday. Tough...so tough. And I got stung a few times by a wasp. lol

Thanks! And yeah, that's the rub with the Garmin watches. But like I said, keep an eye out for deals on it (particularly the 305). It has been through a lot (including a couple of falls running trails) and it still works perfectly. I love it.

Have a marathon this coming weekend, and then a 50k on June 1. I did the 50k last year and it went well so I had definite plans for doing it again. Now that these two races are approaching, I'm getting worried. I planned to use the marathon as a training run for the 50k, but my training has definitely peaked for right now and I'm planning to give a hard effort at the marathon.

Marathon on May 5 which I trained well for, and ready. But I'm just not sure about recovery, and then fitting in another substantial long run (24-25 trail miles) sometime in May to feel ready for June 1. The 50k race director sent out an e-mail this morning that said "If you're not planning to run, please let me know because there's a waiting list." I'm thinking about it but I know there's a 95% chance I'll do the 50k no matter what.

I've been training hard all winter and feeling pretty exhausted right now. I'm happy to be tapering this week, but wondering how quickly I'll recover from the marathon and be able to get back into regular runs.

Best of luck on the marathon! If you don't mind me asking, which one is it (and which 50k are you doing)? I had considered doing the North Face 50k around that time, but I feel like it would still be too much of an injury risk. In your case, I think you'll be fine with the one month gap between races.

Danielsan

@Danielsan

Yeah that is what I am after. So that is the Nike Sportwatch? The $159 model? But you need the band to measure heart rate?

Thanks for the info/pics.
Yes it's the Nike Sportswatch which I bought, along with the food pod, for €169. I'm not sure what the going rate is in the US, but $159 seems about right.

k51yT0Z.jpg

I got confused with regards to the band you kept mentioning. I thought you meant the Polar Wearlink. Which is a heart rate sensor that you can strap across your torso and is compatible with both the watch and the Sportband. The Sportband appears to have its own hear rate monitor build in, and seems to do pretty much everything else the watch can do, except for GPS. Which would be a deal breaker for me because I like to track my routes.

If you do end up going with the Sportwatch, despite the lack of a build in heart rate sensor or an packaged in heart rate strap, do be advised that the glass face plate is apparently quite sensitive to fall damage. So unlike the Garmin watch that amishpriest mentioned above me, it's not a watch build to take a lot of fall damage and throw around.

Yes it's the Nike Sportswatch which I bought, along with the food pod, for €169. I'm not sure what the going rate is in the US, but $159 seems about right.

I tried the Nike+ footpod awhile back...found it to be difficult to calibrate and generally more trouble than it's worth. GPS or bust for me.

Danielsan

I tried the Nike+ footpod awhile back...found it to be difficult to calibrate and generally more trouble than it's worth. GPS or bust for me.
It has GPS build in which it uses as its primary source. The food pod is for added accuracy and for those rare moments where you might lose GPS signal or for running indoors. I've had zero difficulty for it sync up with GPS as long as I'm outside. Linking it up with the food pod the watch presents you with a quick start option if it's still looking for the GPS signal. You can basically start your run with the pod and the watch will beep and switch to GPS as its primary tracking mode as soon as the signal has been linked. Granted, I've only used the watch thrice, but it usually takes no more than 30 seconds for it to find a GPS signal.

Sleepy

This is the band at $59

pwp_sheet

But it doesn't look like it does that much. I'm looking for something cheap and basic, though.

Always wanted to be able to run, but can only go for a couple weeks before my shins make running impossible.

Buy better shoes? Or run with a "minimalist" stride (balls of the feet rather than the heel).

It has GPS build in which it uses as its primary source. The food pod is for added accuracy and for those rare moments where you might lose GPS signal or for running indoors. I've had zero difficulty for it sync up with GPS as long as I'm outside. Linking it up with the food pod the watch presents you with a quick start option if it's still looking for the GPS signal. You can basically start your run with the pod and the watch will beep and switch to GPS as its primary tracking mode as soon as the signal has been linked. Granted, I've only used the watch thrice, but it usually takes no more than 30 seconds for it to find a GPS signal.

If the foot pod automatically calibrates via the GPS, then that would be rather useful. Without the GPS, the Nike+ foot pod is just a pain. What you are describing sounds pretty cool...might be willing to try it if/when I need to replace my 305.

Top Bottom