• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

Doytch

I'd say take a peek at the Forerunner 110 if you're looking at the Nike Sportwatch. Same price range, so grep the reviews at dcrainmaker.com to see what's important to you.

BTW, Garmin gets you Strava integration, so it instawins....right?

I'm used to running in the evening after I've been up/eaten most of my days calories.

Both of the events I'm doing are in the morning so does anyone have suggestions/links about how to eat/warm-up beforehand?

They're not for awhile, just like to be prepared and the last time I ran in the morning it didn't end well.

Doytch

I'm used to running in the evening after I've been up/eaten most of my days calories.

Both of the events I'm doing are in the morning so does anyone have suggestions/links about how to eat/warm-up beforehand?

They're not for awhile, just like to be prepared and the last time I ran in the morning it didn't end well.
What distances are they/how long do you expect to be out there? Anything under an hour you'll be fine without any food, or knock down a banana thirty to sixty minutes prior. I always just do a nice big bowl of oatmeal with diced apples and cinnamon for 2h+ marathons/triathlons, 2ish hours beforehand.

Warm-up is again dependent on the distance. Jogging a mile or two is great before a 5k, but unnecessary before a marathon where you can/should probably just do leg swings and high-knee marches, etc. And whatever you do, don't do static stretches...

Draper

So if I wanna listen to music but also track my pace/distance while running and biking, I suppose an iPod Nano is a good option?

Biff

I'm looking to get a decent pair of running shoes on the cheap, and apparently the best way to do this is by going after last year's models in a retail store. Only problem is I am a complete running noob and have no idea what last year's models were. :p

Could anyone help me find this info? Whichever brand you know best works for me as I can get pretty much any brand in my area. There are specialty New Balance and Nike stores nearby so if I had to choose those would be ideal.

And of course if anyone bought one of said models last year, your mini review would be much appreciated! Keeping in mind I am a newbie looking for a decent deal. :)

Zoe

What do you guys use to prevent chaffing on legs? It's getting a bit too warm here to keep wearing jogging pants.

Cheech

What do you guys use to prevent chaffing on legs? It's getting a bit too warm here to keep wearing jogging pants.

http://www.bodyglide.com/

I'm looking to get a decent pair of running shoes on the cheap, and apparently the best way to do this is by going after last year's models in a retail store. Only problem is I am a complete running noob and have no idea what last year's models were. :p

Go to a running store and have somebody watch your stride/gait on a treadmill. Since you're new, and ESPECIALLY if you're a heavier person, it is crucial to have the right shoes when starting out.

I'd agree with everything Doytch said. Personally, nutrition-wise, I'll usually eat some brown or white rice at the most pre-race, though for the shorter stuff I usually skip that and knock back a Gu or banana or something.

Warm-up wise I usually do leg swings and the lunge matrix...possibly some light strides if I feel like I need more.

Danielsan

Man these past two weeks have been pretty good. I feel that I'm finally getting back in it again. Three runs a week and I just had a fantastic run where I finally hit the 10k again. Hopefully I can continue to push myself to keep running regularly. I'd really like to bring my endurance and pace up again. I tend to start and finish pretty strong though, which is also in part due to varied terrain I run on.

HFNLymx.png

So if I wanna listen to music but also track my pace/distance while running and biking, I suppose an iPod Nano is a good option?

You will constantly have to calibrate it. It is always off by a few tenths of a mile. But if these are regular distances for you you can correct on the fly after your run. Beware, humidity and contact with sweaty hands has killed two nano's for me.

Draper

You will constantly have to calibrate it. It is always off by a few tenths of a mile. But if these are regular distances for you you can correct on the fly after your run. Beware, humidity and contact with sweaty hands has killed two nano's for me.

Sooo...Nike watch?

My half mary yesterday (Frederick Half Marathon) went very well - ran a 1:39:15. Only my second half ever so it was an easy PR by 8 minutes. I'm most pleased that I achieved my main goal of sub 1:40:00. Won't be doing another one of these until fall, so hopefully by then I can do a sub 1:35:00.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I am getting back to running once or twice a week and have picked up about where I left off in the fall (2 to 2.5 miles per time + 1 mile walking). I've noticed that I should be able to run further as my body isn't tired yet, but my breathing is terrible. I had asthma as a kid but mostly outgrew it, but when I run my breathing gets off after only a minute or so, and I fight with it the whole time I run. It is what causes me to be done after 2 miles.

There anything I can do to get it under control? I try to regulate it as I run, but not much helps.

Sooo...Nike watch?
Do you have a smart phone at all? I use Runtastic on my S3 and it works great. You can set whatever intervals you want and it integrates with your music player on the phone and gives you audio readouts of pace/distance/elapsed time etc.

tc farks

I am getting back to running once or twice a week and have picked up about where I left off in the fall (2 to 2.5 miles per time + 1 mile walking). I've noticed that I should be able to run further as my body isn't tired yet, but my breathing is terrible. I had asthma as a kid but mostly outgrew it, but when I run my breathing gets off after only a minute or so, and I fight with it the whole time I run. It is what causes me to be done after 2 miles.

There anything I can do to get it under control? I try to regulate it as I run, but not much helps.

I wouldn't worry about regulating it. Just run and let your body breathe how it wants. You have to rack up more miles and condition yourself, ease yourself into longer runs.

You could also benefit by adding a cross-training workout in between your runs. A cardiovascular workout with less impact - like an elliptical bike.

Lastly, you may be in need of an inhaler.

I would caution against using an iPhone for/while running...I believe that was responsible for ruining the home button on my phone, which I've since replaced. I've been using a iPod Shuffle (along with my Garmin) and that works perfectly fine. I do like some of the running apps (Runmeter, etc.) but I don't want to take the risk of ruining my phone.

Gandie

Ran my first half marathon 2 weeks ago. I trained a little for it, but not too crazy.
Did it in 1:45:50. The following days were full of pain, lol.

Rewarded myself with new shoes, I like them a lot. Been thinking about my goal for next year. 1:40 or even 1:35. Should be able to do it with some proper training.

I would caution against using an iPhone for/while running...I believe that was responsible for ruining the home button on my phone, which I've since replaced. I've been using a iPod Shuffle (along with my Garmin) and that works perfectly fine. I do like some of the running apps (Runmeter, etc.) but I don't want to take the risk of ruining my phone.
I used my 5 yesterday.It kept on pausing workout.
with the exception of the shuffle, Apple products do not seem to be for runners.

Servbot24

Banned
How are you guys carrying your phones? I always have my phone in my hand while I run so there's minimal bouncing and jolting. Can't see how it would hurt my phone unless I got sweat on it.

kottila

How are you guys carrying your phones? I always have my phone in my hand while I run so there's minimal bouncing and jolting. Can't see how it would hurt my phone unless I got sweat on it.

Put it in a jacket pocket. I killed my ipod touch on a bike ride where I was suprised by an enormous rain shower, but I never had any other problems. Tried an armband once, but I didn't like it. Was either too loose or too tight

Vortex566

Posted in the other fitness thread, but this seems to be the place where all the cardio goes on!

I've just finished my last challenge which was to run 10K each day for the month of March. I raised over £700 for Cancer Research UK.

I'm looking for my next challenge and think I've found it: http://www.ratracemanvsmountain.com/#up

Has anyone ever done any mountain running? What kind of shoes should I get?

Well I had to get some minor eye surgery & heal. I havne't been able to run for a week or so until my doc gives me the greenlight to get back to normalcy. : (

What shoes are you guys using? I'm hopefully getting a new pair of shoes next month for my birthday but IDK what I should go for. The only ones that I've seen that I like are Roshe Runs, but I hear a lot of mixed things about them.

Posted in the other fitness thread, but this seems to be the place where all the cardio goes on!

I've just finished my last challenge which was to run 10K each day for the month of March. I raised over £700 for Cancer Research UK.

I'm looking for my next challenge and think I've found it: http://www.ratracemanvsmountain.com/#up

Has anyone ever done any mountain running? What kind of shoes should I get?

I race on mountains and trails a bit. Really this stuff varies too much based on foot size / shape, terrain, running style, and all the other factors. But I've been pretty happy with these guys for a few years I think I use the old model though, I've not tried the updated models yet.

th

Brooks PureGrit.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Any of you guys run doubles? Tried it the last couple days but I don't think my legs can handle it.

Try easing into it a bit more, such as only one or two days a week. A short recovery run in the morning then your normal easy run in the evening.

Guys, I've been trying to start running for a while now. I think this is the 4th or 5th week. I started slow, part jogging part walking and so on. Then I increased the distance and so on. But it looks I hit a plateau. I usually warm up for a bit and then start running very slowly like a fast walk speed.
Than I run as far as I can before my lungs want to burst and I swear to God my heart starts aching. That is after 1.5 km only. Than I walk until I can breathe easily and start running again. But I run shorter and shorter and walk longer and longer. This is all on flat surface no "hills and valleys".

It is driving me crazy. I see no improvement at all after so much time. I jog/walk for about 3-4 km. I'm 35 a bit overweight and no issues with muscles or joints that I can feel. Mostly my running is regulated by my lungs I feel.

Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong?

Servbot24

Banned
Than I walk until I can breathe easily and start running again. But I run shorter and shorter and walk longer and longer.

This may be part of your problem. Run as you much as can in one go, no walking intermissions. Once you're too tired to run any more, you're done for the day. Go home and rest, and take the next day off. After a while you'll be able to increase the number of days you run.

misterF

Neo Member
Hmm it feels pathetic to run just for 10 minutes and call it a day :(

Have you tried the C25K program? It's a 9 week course where you start by alternating running and walking every few minutes and the time spent running gradually increases until the last 2 weeks where there's only running. After years of not doing any exercising I decided to try it, I'm now on week 7 and have been enjoying running so much that I have to refrain myself from going everyday instead of following the program's 4 runs/week schedule. If you're interested I recommend c25k.com as they have lots of resources (podcasts for each week, forum, etc...).

My pace right now is usually around 6 min/km but as soon as I go for a fast lap (5 min/km) it drains me and I have to finish my session at a snail's pace. As the poster above me said, progress is made slowly. What do you guys recommend for increasing my pace? Is there any specific training I can do once I'm done with C25K?

Another problem is the outer part of my left knee started hurting yesterday and I can still feel it today. I've got proper running shoes, I try to land softly on my feet and I'm skinny so I'm thinking that it's a stretching/warming up problem but there are so many conflicting opinions on the internet about the proper manner to prepare and cool down from a run that it's difficult to know what's the right way. Right now I walk for 5 mins before and after to warm up/cool down and I do some stretching only after I'm done running.

Guys, I've been trying to start running for a while now. I think this is the 4th or 5th week. I started slow, part jogging part walking and so on. Then I increased the distance and so on. But it looks I hit a plateau. I usually warm up for a bit and then start running very slowly like a fast walk speed.
Than I run as far as I can before my lungs want to burst and I swear to God my heart starts aching. That is after 1.5 km only. Than I walk until I can breathe easily and start running again. But I run shorter and shorter and walk longer and longer. This is all on flat surface no "hills and valleys".

It is driving me crazy. I see no improvement at all after so much time. I jog/walk for about 3-4 km. I'm 35 a bit overweight and no issues with muscles or joints that I can feel. Mostly my running is regulated by my lungs I feel.

Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong?
It is very difficult to run while overweight. Try couch to 5k. It is popular because it works. I commend you for running 1.5k even. I was a bit chunky years back and couldn't run 200 meters without stopping. Also man boobs if you have them bouncing and putting pressure on your chest...yeah, not easy.

I don't agree with one of the above posters saying run as much as you can then go home. Interval training is exactly what you need to build up stamina. Mixture of running and walking is what you should be doing imo. Don't go overboard either. Jog lightly! In 8 weeks of couch to 5k I guarantee you will have shed pounds, thus putting less stress on your body, and improved stamina to be able to run faster/further.

As far as devices for running goes, I use a long deactivated Android cell that I had lying around.

It has GPS and I download music over wifi via Spotify.

You may be able to score a 1st gen Android phone off ebay or whatever for super cheap if you don't have one around.

I use a Droid Eris.

Any of you guys run doubles? Tried it the last couple days but I don't think my legs can handle it.

I've only done it on race days where I needed more miles. Haven't found it necessary yet, but it depends on how much my mileage ramps up this year (and if I can stay healthy).

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I ran the Flying Pig Marathon in Cincinnati a couple of weeks ago. Set a personal best time (even better than 2005 when I was still in my twenties.) :)

A long, but good read about the minimalsin/barefoot trend (from one extreme to another). How the hype might be calming, it's impact on the shoe industry and on studies relating to footstrikes and injury prevalence

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2013/05/a-minimalismbarefoot-fad-and.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FcJKs+%28The+Science+of+Sport%29

An interesting and fair read. Personally, I'm more comfortable in a lighter, more flexible shoe (such as the Skechers GoBionic) but they may be more due to the fact that I am a rather aggressive supinator and heavier shoes seem to aggravate that trend for me for whatever reason. Naturally, what works for me isn't necessarily for anyone else.

As for heel strike vs mid/forefoot...I changed to a midfoot from heel a few years back and found it more comfortable in general, but again, what works for the individual is more a matter of natural biomechanics than anything.

kottila

An interesting and fair read. Personally, I'm more comfortable in a lighter, more flexible shoe (such as the Skechers GoBionic) but they may be more due to the fact that I am a rather aggressive supinator and heavier shoes seem to aggravate that trend for me for whatever reason. Naturally, what works for me isn't necessarily for anyone else.

As for heel strike vs mid/forefoot...I changed to a midfoot from heel a few years back and found it more comfortable in general, but again, what works for the individual is more a matter of natural biomechanics than anything.

Yep, but as with the paleo and lchf-crazes forefoot-running has become a religion. My strike moves forward with increased speed.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
It's not attractive to say "each to his own" and that we should embrace complexity and nuance.

Best quote, because it's so true. I wear Vibrams but am quite turned off by people who promote them endlessly. I am careful to tell anyone I talk t to about it the it works for me and that is it.

Cyan

Banned
A long, but good read about the minimalsin/barefoot trend (from one extreme to another). How the hype might be calming, it's impact on the shoe industry and on studies relating to footstrikes and injury prevalence

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2013/05/a-minimalismbarefoot-fad-and.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FcJKs+%28The+Science+of+Sport%29

Great article. Everything he says here makes a lot of sense. I'm one of the people for whom minimalist shoes just don't work, and I still get people telling me I should try them. *sigh*

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Great article. Everything he says here makes a lot of sense. I'm one of the people for whom minimalist shoes just don't work, and I still get people telling me I should try them. *sigh*

That's the kind of thing that drives me nuts. Why in the world would someone tell you that if you have tried them already? Unsolicited advice is often the worst kind.

Top Bottom