• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

Zoe

Why wife had been using one such arm thingy. She eventually stopped because she felt it fucked with her balance, she went with the ever fashionable fanny pack (the weight being centered and lower makes it better apparently).

I use an Amphipod fanny pack. I bought a Roo Sport for when I finally switch over to my Nexus 6, but I haven't decided if I like it yet.

I'm pretty sensitive to feeling off balance as well. If my ponytail/bun is slightly off, I find I drift more on that side.

DagsJT

Running buddy pouch looks good. Do you attach that to a separate belt or something or do you just tuck it into your shorts?

The magnetic flap goes over the back of my shorts, the pocket on the outside so I can just reach back to get to my phone or sweets etc.

As long as your shorts have string to keep them tight, it's rock solid. Wearing shorts with no string, the pouch and phone is enough to start pulling your shorts down so worth bearing in mind.

In saying that, I honestly forget it's on when running as the weight distribution works well.

Great product though, it takes quite a bit of force to snap it apart when it magnetically locks so no chance of it falling off your shorts.

I've finally started working away at Couch 2 5K rather than just 'running'. I've actually started to enjoy running, I wish I had done it sooner! I'll admit that I've been doing it irregularly, i.e. not every other day but I've been getting better at that. I just did the Week 6, Day 2 session last night. It's crazy to me that the 8-9 weeks ago when I started this I'd be able to run for 10 minutes straight without running out of breath or feeling exhausted!

Nice! Really glad you are enjoying the sport :D

Thanks, I'll be sure to check back in at some point. I'm not too worried about the bridge... the incline lasts a little more than a half mile, and there's a water/aid station at the peak. Mostly, I'm just excited to get out there again, be part of a fun event, and set a PR (which it will be no matter what since I've never performed in a race this long!)

Since you haven't done a lot of hill running I'll echo what Cyan said: save a little bit of strength for the uphill so you don't get too tired. Once you have trained using hills a little bit more you'll know what works best for you.

So I want to use a running app on my phone to keep track of distance & time on my runs, but I can't figure out a good way to carry my phone while running. In the pocket is cumbersome and uncomfortable. Got any suggestions? Like a thing you can attach to your arm or something? Thanks,.

I use an Armpocket armband, and it's comfortable (it has padding on the inside). Plenty space for my phone and it can hold keys and ID card as well (in a inside sleeve right under the phone). The exterior is water resistant: I've used it in heavy rain and the phone didn't get wet. The only downside is that it heats up quite a bit if you run in the sun, so you might not like that.

I use an Amphipod fanny pack. I bought a Roo Sport for when I finally switch over to my Nexus 6, but I haven't decided if I like it yet.

I'm pretty sensitive to feeling off balance as well. If my ponytail/bun is slightly off, I find I drift more on that side.

The Roo Sport and the Buddy pouch look quite alright, seems like they would work better for carrying a couple of gels for longer runs.

I don't know if I'm off-balance when my ponytail is off, but it sure is uncomfortable when the hair tie begins to slip little by little. I once lost 3 of them on a race :(

Zoe

I don't know if I'm off-balance when my ponytail is off, but it sure is uncomfortable when the hair tie begins to slip little by little. I once lost 3 of them on a race :(

That's why I started making a bun with spin pins. If I just have a pony tail, I feel compelled to constantly tighten it (plus my hair is super long so it would whip everywhere).

Cheech

So I want to use a running app on my phone to keep track of distance & time on my runs, but I can't figure out a good way to carry my phone while running. In the pocket is cumbersome and uncomfortable. Got any suggestions? Like a thing you can attach to your arm or something? Thanks,.

After running with an armband and phone app for the last 5 years, I finally took the plunge in March and got a Garmin Forerunner 235.

What an awesome piece of gear. Way, way, way better than my Fitbit or Apple Watch, both of which are now sold.

That said, I have a Roo Sport (winter) and Grantwood Tuneband (summer) for when I'm running solo and need to carry my phone with me for safety.

Well, didn't beat my goal of 1:10, but I completed the RockNSole quarter marathon with a time of 1:11:22.

It was still enough to place me in the top 50% of finishers, so, as a relative beginner to bigger races, I'm happy.

The Hoan bridge was a significant obstacle, insofar as it took for damned ever and we were running into the wind. I think if it was closer to the beginning of the race, it wouldn't matter as much. Also, my toes started hurting fairly early, which was disappointing, and miles 5 until the end were significantly slower due to having to walk and stretch out a bit. Anyway, it was super fun, and I can't wait to start training for a half in September.

Fistwell

It was still enough to place me in the top 50% of finishers, so, as a relative beginner to bigger races, I'm happy.
Good job, grats on finishing in the top half.

Ran a 16K road/trail race (self-described as "nature race") yesterday morning. Still waiting on results to get posted online. ;_;
Ran in 1:12, putting me at around 4:30 pace, which I'm fine with all things considered. But I'd like to know how me and the wife placed (she ran the 10K).

My dad came to cheer us on and take videos. He got my wife just fine but somehow mixed up rec on and off for me. No video of me but great shots of his feet. I think he's subtly letting me know my parents like my wife better than they like me (can't blame them, my wife is awesome).

Linius

Did a 7K run in my hometown yesterday. Finished it in 34:27 minutes. Considering I'm not training at all anymore these days I'm cool with this.

Fistwell

Ha! Running at over 12Km/h for 30+min out of nowhere, just because you can. Enjoy being young! It dont last forever! :)
(I mean, good job!)

Good job, grats on finishing in the top half.

Ran a 16K road/trail race (self-described as "nature race") yesterday morning. Still waiting on results to get posted online. ;_;
Ran in 1:12, putting me at around 4:30 pace, which I'm fine with all things considered. But I'd like to know how me and the wife placed (she ran the 10K).

My dad came to cheer us on and take videos. He got my wife just fine but somehow mixed up rec on and off for me. No video of me but great shots of his feet. I think he's subtly letting me know my parents like my wife better than they like me (can't blame them, my wife is awesome).

Still it's nice when your parents come see you run :)

Linius

Ha! Running at over 12Km/h for 30+min out of nowhere, just because you can. Enjoy being young! It dont last forever! :)
(I mean, good job!)

Yeah, I suppose it did help I did some more running the past few years. But I since I joined the fraternity it's mostly beer and parties in my life.

Kind of motivated to do some practice before next month though. A 10K run in the center of Amsterdam, part of European Athletics Championships.

panda-zebra

Did a weird one this weekend - an endurance trail event around a 5 mile course for 24 hours, billed as being like glastonbury music festival for runners. Around 3,000 took part, with many more visiting and supporting, I was in a team of 6 but people ran it solo and in teams of up to 8.

I stupidly let my brother talk me into running the first lap too fast because reasons - paid for that later as I knew I would - was hard to keep my legs loose and myself fueled, especially into the early morning. The others averaged 48ish minutes a lap leaving 4 hours between my efforts. This was too long in some ways and not long enough in others. I found myself hanging around the changeover point watching stuff happening there and wandering back and forth between there and the camp, when I should have been looking after myself and staying off the feet. I fancied doing double laps early in the night but nobody else seemed keen as it might have meant they didn't get their fair share of headlamp/night running (which, tbh, was pretty crappy and too much of an injury risk for my tastes, but it's one of the big draws of the event so...).

We didn't fuck up any of the changeovers which I was relieved about and I managed 25 of our 150 mile total, done over a span of 18.5 hours in about 3 hours 15 total... but I think I'd much rather have attempted a steady marathon without the stop-starting and gone home to a bath and my bed. Clearly not a team player when it comes to running. Nice medal though so my son is happy.

The guy who won the solo event managed 27 laps/135 miles/216k.

Fistwell

Still it's nice when your parents come see you run :)
Oh yeah, definitely appreciated it. :D

Kind of motivated to do some practice before next month though. A 10K run in the center of Amsterdam, part of European Athletics Championships.
See, that's good, if Mo Farah's pacing you you'll likelly get a PR!

endurance trail event around a 5 mile course for 24 hours
Yeah, more power to you for doing it, but I don't think I'd be able to go for something like that (they had one around here a week ago). Hanging around a bunch of people for that long of a time... I just don't like people that much! :D
Grats on running your butt off tho, dunno if I'd be able to get out of bed at 1 in the morning to go run an 8K lap.

The guy who won the solo event managed 27 laps/135 miles/216k.
I think I'd die (a cple of times) if I tried to run that.

We didn't fuck up any of the changeovers which I was relieved about and I managed 25 of our 150 mile total, done over a span of 18.5 hours in about 3 hours 15 total...

That's a really good effort! I don't know if I'd be able to do that, as I tend to get bored on lap circuits.

We didn't fuck up any of the changeovers which I was relieved about and I managed 25 of our 150 mile total, done over a span of 18.5 hours in about 3 hours 15 total... but I think I'd much rather have attempted a steady marathon without the stop-starting and gone home to a bath and my bed. Clearly not a team player when it comes to running. Nice medal though so my son is happy.
Might thoughts exactly when it comes to Ragnar Runs in which my friends keep asking me to do with them. The logistics and the time it takes to complete everything together is just not for me. Like you I'd rather just run a marathon...suffer all in one long-ish session with everybody then go home. lol. But who knows, I might be convinced to do one anyway.

If anything, at least you can say you've done an event like this and can speak from experience, even if it's not your thing.

All that said, congrats on your run!

MajorMane

I'm fairly new to the running scene, only having started back in late April. Having never really ran in my life or even exercised, it was tough going, but I want to lose weight and be healthy, so I've stuck with it.

I've been using the Couch to 5K program and have been having quite a bit of success with it. I remember seeing the jump from an 8 minute run to a 20 minute run and thinking, "I'll never make that." Got to the 20 minute run and it was honestly the best run I've ever had. Now I'm week 7 which is purely 25 minute runs. Crazy to think that 8 weeks ago, I would have been barely able to do a 1 minute run.

I am wondering how I should approach my running once I'm done with the C25K program, however. I know there's an app of 5K to 10K made by the same people. Has anyone used that? Or does anyone have any other suggestions on how I can keep gradually ramping up my running?

As for goals, I've been toying around with the idea of doing a 5K. That'd be pretty big for me considering where I started with all this running. Problem is, there's not a lot of them currently in my area for this time of year. I'll have to keep an eye out. About a year from when I started running, there will be a half/full marathon again. My longterm and more crazy goal would be to run this.

Anyway, I'm off to run today before it gets any hotter or muggier.

Fistwell

I am wondering how I should approach my running once I'm done with the C25K program, however. I know there's an app of 5K to 10K made by the same people. Has anyone used that? Or does anyone have any other suggestions on how I can keep gradually ramping up my running?
First off, congrats on picking up this cool and (mostly) healthy hobby!

There are many ways you can go about expanding your running. For some it's driven by goals. If you have a goal you want to go after, that's gonna drive the kind of running (and training) you're gonna want to pursue. Alternately, you can just feel your way through it. Maybe try longer runs and see if you enjoy that, maybe run some trails. Maybe you like going fast and you could have fun at a track. Maybe you'd enjoy company, and you could look up local clubs and groups.

panda-zebra

Anyway, I'm off to run today before it gets any hotter or muggier.

If the app worked for you up to 5k, can't see why it wouldn't to 10k, especially if you enjoyed the structure and found it motivating.

All that initial improvement is really exciting, I found using Strava to track my activities to be great for visualising that (trophies/achievements) and also good for finding people nearby, seeing what routes they ran and testing myself a little against them.

Doing all that alone was fine, but once I discovered parkrun (unfortunately your closest is probably around 1000 miles away), and then went on to enter races (honestly something I never imagined I'd dare do), it all became a little more social and way more of an obsession. Have a look for some local groups as Festwill says and tag along. I find there's something special about running with others, you can craftily check out how others go about things, pick up a few tips and you meet like-minded crazy runner types.

I think I'd die (a cple of times) if I tried to run that.

Ultra runners impress the hell out of me. Those who also do it at a good pace, well, I just still can't get a feel for how it's even physically possible, it just does not compute.

Ran a 10k this morning in the heat. Didn't end up quite getting my main goal of sub 36 but can't complain about getting a backup one. About 75 second PR.

FlUGGNp.jpg

X7LAm5F.jpg

Very nice time RIP! Pretty envious over here haha ;).

In other news, I've finally started running again after this six-eight week hamstring strain. Still need to take it easy, as I don't want to reinjure my posterior-inferior muscles, but it's so much better now (although I do still feel the pull on occasion).

Going to be a long rehab process, seems much longer than it has, but I'm confident that I'll be okay by August when I start the real training for Cal-Int'l. While this overuse injury freaking sucks, I'm glad it happened in retrospect. Learned a lot about my body during it and it's helped me generate a big interest in kinesiology and learning about how the body works. Funny how this happened...

Fistwell

When she crushed that record from the chinese man doping on turtle blood and horse hormones, I had my doubts. But she looks so innocent!! ;_;

I would be very disappointed if this turns out to be true

I always thought they are so naturally good because they always trained in ethiopia in that sweet spot above sea level.

I watch the olympics just to see the Dibaba's run(and win).

This is such a bummer..

Fistwell

Eh, innocent till proven guilty. She was on site when the police raided the place, she likely got tested. Results in this Friday.

Sad story time.

When I was learning how to walk, I walked on my toes without my heels hitting the ground. As a result, I have really high arches, and a strange walking/running form. Doctors warned me that this could lead to complications in my legs later on in life, and now that has happened.

After training for a half-marathon earlier in the year, my right knee just gave out. Basically, I can't do long distance running ever again.

I'm not looking for advice, just giving a word of warning. If you've got kids, pay attention to how they walk. Research and encourage them to have proper walking form. It doesn't have a huge impact on my life, my knee has healed but I have some chronic pain and if I run more than a mile it acts up. It'll likely never go away. I had to quit my gym and join one with a pool for cardio.

I hate running in the heat...that is all.
actually that is not all
I've finally found a way to carry water that doesn't annoy me, and in this heat/humidity, it's a necessity. A soft flask seems to be the trick (it's basically the same material as a hydration pack). I can pretty easily tuck a tiny one into my waist band and it won't go anywhere...carrying it in hand is also pretty easy. I got the one from Salomon.

I've put a decent amount of miles on my Newton Distance IV shoes...somewhere around 140mi. Since I've retired my other running shoes, I wanted to get a new pair to start training in alongside them. I got a pair of the Saucony Zealot ISO 2. They have a lot more cushioning than any shoe I've owned, but are still very flexy and neutral feeling. I seem to remember testing the first version of the shoe and I wasn't completely sold on it because it felt like there was no "response" out of them. No such issue with these. I don't have to worry about striking too much on the heel, either, as they're 4mm offset (just like the Kinvaras I had).

ChryZ

Yesterday at the gym there was this very electric ionized stench, like someone was plasma welding. I walked around to find its source since it also made working out or breathing almost impossible. One of the treadmills had a stuck motor, the whole thing was smoking. Two bros happily running on the neighboring devices. One of them informed me, that the treadmill next to them was burning. I looked at them, bewildered so. No idea why or how they were still running, why they didn't unplug the almost burning treadmill. The stench was there for at least 10 minutes. Shook my head and flipped the off switch and opened a couple of windows ... lol

rykomatsu

I hate running in the heat...that is all.
actually that is not all
I've finally found a way to carry water that doesn't annoy me, and in this heat/humidity, it's a necessity. A soft flask seems to be the trick (it's basically the same material as a hydration pack). I can pretty easily tuck a tiny one into my waist band and it won't go anywhere...carrying it in hand is also pretty easy. I got the one from Salomon

Something like this?

DSC00004.JPG

I noticed the national park half marathons in the US are using these for all racers instead of cups...pretty nifty.

mdsfx

I can't find any small water pouches like that anywhere. Everything I've seen is 1L or more. I just want something small that doesn't hold air (no sloshing around).

panda-zebra

I can't find any small water pouches like that anywhere. Everything I've seen is 1L or more. I just want something small that doesn't hold air (no sloshing around).

I searched amazon for "soft flask" and found a few options, they don't really look like that above though, more like just a bladder/valve. Needed to do this after my hard little bottle popped out of my new belt after less than 1/2 a km of a half marathon, having to carry it the whole way was a PITA.

Hi, everyone.

I'm a runner-in-progress. Just completed Week 3 of C25k and starting Week 4 tomorrow. I've noticed a change in my stamina and even though it's hard work I'm definitely enjoying my time outside. Certainly nothing like the chore it once was.

Hoping I'm up to the task of running for 5 minutes straight. Lurking in this group has definitely been a contributor to my push to get out there and finally doing it.

Hi, everyone.

I'm a runner-in-progress. Just completed Week 3 of C25k and starting Week 4 tomorrow. I've noticed a change in my stamina and even though it's hard work I'm definitely enjoying my time outside. Certainly nothing like the chore it once was.

Hoping I'm up to the task of running for 5 minutes straight. Lurking in this group has definitely been a contributor to my push to get out there and finally doing it.

Good job sticking with the plan! Depending on your local weather running can be tougher these months, so once it mellows out you'll run even more comfortably.

Keep us updated on your progress ;)

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Keeping in mind GAF never ceases to amaze with the amount of information and knowledge floating around here, I'd like to ask any of you guys with any experience with knee injuries to take a look at this: http://canwefixjaspersknee.tumblr.com/ .

This is a buddy of mine that injured his knee quite a while ago, has been trying a lot of different things over the last 2 years to recover, but no luck so far. He has written down pretty much everything he's tried so far, including a timeline. If anyone has some insights, feel free to contact him, PM me or drop a post here. Thanks in advance!

I've been running obstacle courses and hikes with him since a couple of years but his injury has put a halt to all that.

Is it normal to be hindered a lot by humidity? I started running this winter but since mid-June my easy pace has been getting slower and it's just been harder for me to complete my normal runs.

April and May were great, I was running longer and faster and improving every week.

Now it's 75-85% humidity basically every day (91% when I ran today) and the temperatures are starting to climb...it's wearing me out. I feel like I'm putting in more effort but still slowing down. It's discouraging.

Is it normal to be hindered a lot by humidity? I started running this winter but since mid-June my easy pace has been getting slower and it's just been harder for me to complete my normal runs.

April and May were great, I was running longer and faster and improving every week.

Now it's 75-85% humidity basically every day (91% when I ran today) and the temperatures are starting to climb...it's wearing me out. I feel like I'm putting in more effort but still slowing down. It's discouraging.

http://www.runnersworld.com/hot-weather-running/tips-for-running-in-humidity

It definitely can screw you up a bit.

Edit: I wouldn't focus on performing in those conditions(if you don't have to) and instead just go for a slower run and just enjoy the running.
Time on feet is equally important.

DagsJT

I've run a few races in heat this summer and really struggled. Last two races were cold and raining and I PB'd one and nearly PB'd the other. I'm a lot worse in warm weather.

Fistwell

Aw god. Heat, lack of sleep, and I think a touch a dehydration... Had to pull the plug on that speed workout in a hurry. :(

Oh well, more time to go buy beer before tonight's game, go France!

ruxtpin

Banned
Did a recent 5k on the 4th in 20:16. Was hoping to break the 20 minute mark; but my speed has dropped considerably over the last couple of years with the job I have. Signed up for the PA Warrio Dash in August. Gotta keep my cardio up and get my swole on to look good in the mud pit. :p

Entropia

No One Remembers
So I finished the Couch to 5K Program a couple weekends ago, I took the week off due to the hot/humid weather. I've downloaded an app for 10k training. First session was 20 minutes running, 3 walking, then another 20 running. I wasn't able to run the whole second 20 minute set. :(

The next session is the same routine, so hopefully I can nail it.
---

Not sure if this applies here, but I've officially signed up for Tough Mudder in September, I also found out the course is a little longer this year.

I'm going to have to start doing hill runs soon.

Top Bottom