• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

Whew week 3 of Zombies Run 5k is definitely a new challenge. I managed to jog in all the free run sessions and it definitely felt like a jump in difficulty.

Question for you pro runners. Is it better to slow down the run pace so you can keep jogging longer or better to run at a faster pace and run out of breath earlier and walk for a bit to recover?

Easy answer.

Whew week 3 of Zombies Run 5k is definitely a new challenge. I managed to jog in all the free run sessions and it definitely felt like a jump in difficulty.

Question for you pro runners. Is it better to slow down the run pace so you can keep jogging longer or better to run at a faster pace and run out of breath earlier and walk for a bit to recover?

Definitely slow down. No question. Time running when building up is important. There is no point is running faster when you are already to the point of exhaustion. Slow down and continue to run to your end point. That's a succesfull run right there.

Fistwell

I'll agree with slow and steady as well. I know stop and go is a thing too, but slowing the pace down till I could sustain it worked miracles for me.

JoeNut

Gonna keep an eye on this thread for tips, ran my second ever 5k this weekend at 32:33, 1:50 faster than my last one. Aiming for 31 next weekend 👍

My team 'Are we beer yet?' finished our first Ragnar relay this weekend in MA! Final time of 29:15:32!

qMB93Hn.jpg

rykomatsu

The last month has been rough since my 1.5k swim/40k bike/10k run triathlon

Shin splints after a 13.1mi run (week 1)
Cramping glutes during interval training over 5k (week 2)
Unstable calf after a 1mi measurement (week 3, down to 6:30, so was worth it)
Tightened up fibula longus near the knee (week 4) - foam rolling and trigger point aren't releasing this

I did the Spartan Sprint yesterday and was feeling pretty good, though I stopped for my team so it wasn't continuous exertion. My calf was weakening after the sandbag carry up the stadium steps but everything else feeling OK.

A little worried how this will translate to the half marathon this coming Sunday...stamina-wise OK, but not sure about my legs (though I know I can get through one, granted my body is up to the task)...

The last month has been rough since my 1.5k swim/40k bike/10k run triathlon

Shin splints after a 13.1mi run (week 1)
Cramping glutes during interval training over 5k (week 2)
Unstable calf after a 1mi measurement (week 3, down to 6:30, so was worth it)
Tightened up fibula longus near the knee (week 4) - foam rolling and trigger point aren't releasing this

I did the Spartan Sprint yesterday and was feeling pretty good, though I stopped for my team so it wasn't continuous exertion. My calf was weakening after the sandbag carry up the stadium steps but everything else feeling OK.

A little worried how this will translate to the half marathon this coming Sunday...stamina-wise OK, but not sure about my legs (though I know I can get through one, granted my body is up to the task)...

I don't know how long you have been running or how expierenced you are so ignore this if you want but i would dare to say that so many problems are a running form problem. Also weak hips and glutes.

Kinokou

How much distance do you cover in the last 10 mins run in your week 2 routines? I don't run fast so I average like 2.2 k in the last 10 mins. Last time I did an extra 2 km so I felt really really good. I did a run yesterday and I was definitely not as good the run I did before. I guess I have good days and bad days haha. Keep up the good work! I think on the zombie link website you can add friends in there. We should totally add each other's and keep each other's motivated!

No clue how quick I am, I just do what I'm told and don't think more about it.

I'll PM you for the rest.

Fistwell

So I've been slowly trying to get back into shape. After building up mileage, I started hitting the track for some speed work and some mile repeats. Was pleasantly surprised at my times, which while not great were nice enough for me and for where I'm at. :D

Maybe a little too nice. Also my GPS tracker kept giving me 1.5Km on my 1600m... I assumed it was just below 1.6 and it was rounding down but... doubt started creeping in. I went online to check the length of the track and BAM. 330m. O_O

Are you shitting me? 3 hunderd and 33 fucking meters are you taking the piss? Am I that fucking slow I am that fucking slow aren't I OMG I am that fucking slow and I didn't even fucking notice!! ;_;

Now wait a goddamn minute, I've been on shorter tracks, I could tell in an instant. This one feels... a tad shortish but not 70m short. So, looking more closely at my GPS data (on garmin connect because strava doesn't do 10s of meters), my laps have been coming at an average of 390m (with a tiny std), and my "1600m's" coming up to 1.56Km. Which... is pretty in line with my gut feeling of "a lil short but no way 70m short." Soooo... I am slower than I thought. But it ain't that bad. And I can make it up by scooching over to lane 2 or 3 on my next workouts. Crisis averted. -_-'

But riddle me this shit tho, who, in their right fuckin mind, builds a 390m fucking track wtf??!?

/dear journal

PS: Those 10m could fall into GPS measurement error. But measures have been a little too consistent. Plus the error averages out over time, and the average falls on 390. Unless... buildings next to the track fool the GPS. But there's only one, on one end of the track, and the track's overall open enough that I don't think it could be a problem. Anyways, I'll keep an eye on GPS logs and get to the bottom of it. Can't be cheated of 10m on my lap goddamit.

So I've been slowly trying to get back into shape. After building up mileage, I started hitting the track for some speed work and some mile repeats. Was pleasantly surprised at my times, which while not great were nice enough for me and for where I'm at. :D

Maybe a little too nice. Also my GPS tracker kept giving me 1.5Km on my 1600m... I assumed it was just below 1.6 and it was rounding down but... doubt started creeping in. I went online to check the length of the track and BAM. 330m. O_O

Are you shitting me? 3 hunderd and 33 fucking meters are you taking the piss? Am I that fucking slow I am that fucking slow aren't I OMG I am that fucking slow and I didn't even fucking notice!! ;_;

Now wait a goddamn minute, I've been on shorter tracks, I could tell in an instant. This one feels... a tad shortish but not 70m short. So, looking more closely at my GPS data (on garmin connect because strava doesn't do 10s of meters), my laps have been coming at an average of 390m (with a tiny std), and my "1600m's" coming up to 1.56Km. Which... is pretty in line with my gut feeling of "a lil short but no way 70m short." Soooo... I am slower than I thought. But it ain't that bad. And I can make it up by scooching over to lane 2 or 3 on my next workouts. Crisis averted. -_-'

But riddle me this shit tho, who, in their right fuckin mind, builds a 390m fucking track wtf??!?

/dear journal

PS: Those 10m could fall into GPS measurement error. But measures have been a little too consistent. Plus the error averages out over time, and the average falls on 390. Unless... buildings next to the track fool the GPS. But there's only one, on one end of the track, and the track's overall open enough that I don't think it could be a problem. Anyways, I'll keep an eye on GPS logs and get to the bottom of it. Can't be cheated of 10m on my lap goddamit.

On Strava the GPS track appears to be shifted little bit towards the inside of the actual track, so that could explain the 10m difference. If you run on the first lane I'd do the pace calculations assuming a 400m lap, and use the GPS as a guideline.

Fistwell

On Strava the GPS track appears to be shifted little bit towards the inside of the actual track, so that could explain the 10m difference. If you run on the first lane I'd do the pace calculations assuming a 400m lap, and use the GPS as a guideline.
Actually yes it does, good call, had not thought of looking at the satelitte map. I think slight GPS fuck-up is more likely than 390m track. Just weird it's so consistently fucking up by 10m/lap.

Edit: anyone watching diamond league? Excited to see Mekhissi run (he of the shirtless finish), my man Makhloufi on 800, and my waifu Renelle Lamote.

Edit2: Bwahaaha, Mekhissi is the man! True genius, visionary, knight in shining armor! Look at that badass picking a fight with a 14yo girl. Fearless.

NSLUx7W3zQYZq.gif

Edit3: Mekhissi DNF (3000SC), Makhloufi 2nd behind Bosse in 1:44 something, Renelle 3rd in 1:58:84 (PR+olympic qual). Disappointed for Mekhissi, hope he qualifies for the olympics soon.

rykomatsu

Was training around 2:20-2:30 for a half that was today. I figured if I do 2:15-2:20, I'd be happy.

My halfway point was 57min and <2:10 seemed like a possibility. My body was soreness-free and I felt pretty freaking good. 3 miles out and I had 28min to 2:00 and breaking the 2:00 mark seemed like a really definite possibility, which was exciting since I was hanging onto a 9:15 mile relatively consistently regardless of hills.

Alas, I came in at 2:00:53...blew away my training times, but really disappointed that I couldn't break 2hr :(. During all this, I fumbled with a jammed zipper to get a gel out and lost a good deal of time...this, and a short walk I needed to do due to an onset of a cramp I think cost me a sub 2h finish...

Really enjoyed the half along the Santa Cruz coast

Fistwell

Good job on going way beyond expectations. Now that you know what you're capable of and can adjust your training around that, you'll get below 2hrs next time with ease. :D

panda-zebra

lol

Your track stuff was impressive, when I checked those laps it was good to see you right back on it.

Alas, I came in at 2:00:53...blew away my training times, but really disappointed that I couldn't break 2hr :(

Concentrate on the positives :) (but yeah, a matter of seconds over such a large landmark is tough to take, a big "if only...")

Fistwell

Your track stuff was impressive, when I checked those laps it was good to see you right back on it.
You flatter me, thanks. "Speed" (such as it is) hasn't taken too big of a hit, roughly back to were I was. Endurance though, I got a long way to go. Hoping to get back to 40min/10K by the end of summer. Speaking of, congrats again on that recent 10K of yours, great time!

I got roped into running a shitty 18K trail this weekend, didn't want to but several friends are running it, so I ended up giving in. Curious to see how the legs will feel after going easy this week, although I know where that trail goes through, and I have 0 expectations in terms of speed (beach, soft sand, crossing rivers, etc). Also, taking it easy this week means I'll have 1000m+ of elevation to catch up on between monday and tuesday. ;_;

Alas, I came in at 2:00:53...blew away my training times, but really disappointed that I couldn't break 2hr :(. During all this, I fumbled with a jammed zipper to get a gel out and lost a good deal of time...this, and a short walk I needed to do due to an onset of a cramp I think cost me a sub 2h finish...

Really enjoyed the half along the Santa Cruz coast

You ran 15min faster than your expectations and enjoyed a half along the coast, that's win-win! ;). As Festwill said, now you have a baseline to base your training around so your next half will be even better.

Also, taking it easy this week means I'll have 1000m+ of elevation to catch up on between monday and tuesday. ;_;

How does Strava measure elevation anyway? Did two laps through a mountain circuit this sunday instead of one, and the elevation was barely different.

Fistwell

How does Strava measure elevation anyway? Did two laps through a mountain circuit this sunday instead of one, and the elevation was barely different.
GPS gives you elevation above sea level. It's very spotty though and it's got issues recognizing altitude in some places. I think some places cross-ref that with topological maps (if available). Not exactly sure how strava does it. I know I get different values between strava and garmin connect for the same GPS files.

mdsfx

So is sidewalk running normally dangerous? Been running trails for over a year, but started running around another neighborhood recently. 2 miles in and I tripped over something, no idea what, and came crashing down on the concrete very quickly. Ouch.

Running in the afternoon heat be like

And it's not even summer.

lol, forreal.

got out of work early today so I went for a 6 mile run at 1pm through a hilly park. It's 90F and humid...goodness, today was a tough run. Got through in about 55 minutes, a lot slower than my normal pace.

I had just picked up earlier this week the Saucony Omni 14 and still am breaking them in. Really enjoy them; I had the Omni 13 the tail end of last year and enjoyed them, so I wanted the 14's.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Well, took the plunge and bought new running shoes yesterday since the old ones had close to 1000 km in them and were almost two years old. I've stopped running after a knee injury last fall but the pain has long gone and the occasional round of squash has gone pain-free too. Looking forward to building up distance again but it's going to be a challenge to take it slow, with lots of walking breaks. Just scared as hell the pain will return, so I'll take it real slow to start off.

Fistwell

Running in the afternoon heat be like

And it's not even summer.
Not quite that hot here yet, but definitely getting there. :(

So is sidewalk running normally dangerous? Been running trails for over a year, but started running around another neighborhood recently. 2 miles in and I tripped over something, no idea what, and came crashing down on the concrete very quickly. Ouch.
Fell on my ass more often on trails I think. Almost every time for me though, it's mainly a matter of not paying attention to my surroundings, being preoccupied with something, etc.

Well, took the plunge and bought new running shoes yesterday since the old ones had close to 1000 km in them and were almost two years old. I've stopped running after a knee injury last fall but the pain has long gone and the occasional round of squash has gone pain-free too. Looking forward to building up distance again but it's going to be a challenge to take it slow, with lots of walking breaks. Just scared as hell the pain will return, so I'll take it real slow to start off.
wb dude. Enjoy your time on your feet! :)

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Not quite that hot here yet, but definitely getting there. :(

Fell on my ass more often on trails I think. Almost every time for me though, it's mainly a matter of not paying attention to my surroundings, being preoccupied with something, etc.

wb dude. Enjoy your time on your feet! :)

Thanks man! First run is up tonight, probably just 1.5-2km or so, but already stoked to get back into it, haha. Nothing quite like it to re-energize and clear my head.

Fistwell

I got roped into running a shitty 18K trail this weekend
Did OK-ish, placed 53/368 in 1h31. Not a great time, but not terrible given the shit we had to go through. There was precious little flat, even ground to do actual running over. There was a decent 5K patch in the middle, I stuck with a group of guys and we averaged about 4:20/K over that stretch. But before and after that... it was all rivers, and mud, and sand... oh the sand.... the soft, squishy fucking sand...

Edit: bonus pic, right before the finish. I look like I'm actually trying (I was).

panda-zebra

Tried a fell race today. Course looked like this: ./&#8254;\.

Newfound respect for fell runners.

Not much running to be had for me personally, but plenty of hiking and semi-controlled falling either side of the "flat" bit.

Won't be doing another any time soon.

Edit: bonus pic, right before the finish. I look like I'm actually trying (I was).

Didn't recognise you with your tongue in :p

rykomatsu

Did OK-ish, placed 53/368 in 1h31. Not a great time, but not terrible given the shit we had to go through. There was precious little flat, even ground to do actual running over. There was a decent 5K patch in the middle, I stuck with a group of guys and we averaged about 4:20/K over that stretch. But before and after that... it was all rivers, and mud, and sand... oh the sand.... the soft, squishy fucking sand...

I find running through standing water on trail runs to be easier than semi-wet mud / sand. A lot of people avoid them too, so it's not as rutted / squishy / disturbed / textureless

mdsfx

Cross-post from GAF fitness, but I wanted to share :p

Really proud of this one. Average pace of 8:06 compared to last year's 9:20+. I have a 7:50 half marathon pace in my sights :0 which I never considered to be a possibility.

Not a bad time in the least. First trail race?

Tried a fell race today. Course looked like this: ./&#8254;\.

Newfound respect for fell runners.

Not much running to be had for me personally, but plenty of hiking and semi-controlled falling either side of the "flat" bit.

Won't be doing another any time soon.

I have to try doing a trail race someday (after a bit of specific training :p). The closest was a 7km hybrid town/mountain run and I found interesting enough to consider trying a longer one.

But not in the summer, oh god no.

Cross-post from GAF fitness, but I wanted to share :p

Really proud of this one. Average pace of 8:06 compared to last year's 9:20+. I have a 7:50 half marathon pace in my sights :0 which I never considered to be a possibility.

Quite the improvement, congrats! Hope you hit your half-marathon target pace :D

mulac

So I signed up for my first triathlon in October this year in Sydney: https://nepeantriathlon.com.au/

Short version background is a couple of years ago I was fully into the running scene; in one year I did 2 full marathons, 3 halfs, 14km City2Surf charity run, trekked to Everest Base Camp...you name it. I'm 35 years old and do try to look after myself but have dropped the ball somewhat recently - through work commitments, life etc and losing interest.

Then last year basically stopped most forms of cardio exercise as naturally my knee's decided enough was enough. So I spent a good 11 months doing physio, but losing interest in fitness generally.

This year i've sorted my knees, got "the bug" back and have signed up for a triathlon to give myself focus and a milestone to achieve. I've swum socially in the past; never distance or time; literally just in the pool doing laps and I have a mountain bike with road slicks I use now and again.

Looking for advice/training plan that people use along with any diet plan thats good. I'm obviously googling and gathering intel but given its 5 months away and I need to get started today (going for a 30min lunchtime swim!) thoughts and tips are appreciated.

Garmin Fenix 3 purchased and Asics Gel Running Shoes purchased at the weekend to assist also!

rykomatsu

@Mulac

I started triathlons this year, so the stuff here is from a newbie, but hopefully proves to be useful.

Open water swimming is quite different from pool swimming. Sighting to stay on track, waves, tidal flow (if swimming in ocean), getting used to the wetsuit (if applicable). I would suggest doing an open water swim at least once before your tri.

Transitions adds another dimension...straight cycling versus swim-to-bike and straight running vs bike-to-run are quite different. You'll want to do brick workouts to get used to the transitions. Particularly the bike-to-run can be rough if you go cold turkey - your legs will feel like bricks...hence the name brick workout.

My training isn't consistent, but when things are going smoothly, it's something like this:

Mon - Swim (recovery or 1-2km)
Tue - Bike (turbo trainer, intervals)
Wed - Run (speed drills)
Thu - Swim (speed drills)
Fri - Run (recovery)
Sat - Bike (local or solo 20-40km ride)
Sun - Swim (once a month in San Francisco Bay with swim group) or rest day

I also commute by bike occasionally, so I will do a bike to swim transition after I get home...24k ride, followed by a 2k run. Swim to bike is a little more difficult to practice unless you have someone watching your bike.

I also substitute strength training regularly as well.

I think I spend the least time on the bike, though, as sitting on a turbo trainer inside the house is boring as fuck and I like to sleep in on weekends...if I leave too late, there is too much cycling, auto, and motorcycle traffic for it to be safe in a lot of cycle friendly locations.

Also recommend having a checklist of stuff to bring for races as it can be quite long...

- Tri suit
- Body glide (to prevent chafing)
- Wetsuit
- Astroglide or KYJelly (to help put on wetsuit fast)
- Plastic bag (to put on wetsuit)
- Swim cap
- Skullcap (if too cold)
- Goggles (x2 in case strap snaps)
- Earplugs
- Goggle spray
- Helmet
- Bike shoes
- Socks (optional)
- Bike
- Pump
- Spare tubes
- Tire lever
- Sunglasses
- Running shoes
- Hat or visor
- Sunscreen
- Race belt
- Bib
- Timing chit
- Number stickers
- Number tattoos
- Water or electrolyte drink
- Energy food
- Transition bag
- Transition mat
- Towels
- Heart rate monitor

Love my Garmin Fenix 3 :)

Fistwell

Great job, dude! You're progressing fast!

Not a bad time in the least. First trail race?
Yeah, first trail. I wouldn't have considered doing it, but it happened to be in the area I grew up in, was nice to run through there.

My third race ever is tomorrow. Although I've lost a considerable amount of weight (65 pounds over the past year), I'm still pushing 245-250, so my times aren't as competitive as some here.

Previous races
11/15 - 5k - 29:36
4/16 - 7k - 45:00 (I was getting over a cold and the weather was atrocious)

Tomorrow I'm running the Summerfest Rock and Sole Quarter Marathon (6.55 miles) in Milwaukee.

A key part of this race is running over the Hoan bridge, which is around the 4 mile marker.

I really haven't been able to incorporate much in the way of hills into my runs, so I'm a bit worried about how to attack this. Should I push harder at first and then take it slower on the incline? or, try to hold back a little so that I have more energy to push through it?

Fistwell

I'd say just stick to regular target pace on flat portions and take it easy on the uphill. Shorten the stride, lean into the hill a bit, light and quick on your feet, swing your arms a little more than normal to "drive" your legs.

But I wouldn't make... ehr... a mountain out of it. If that's the only difficulty, you'll do fine. Just quietly jog upward and before you'll know you'll be over the hump (figuratively and literaly).

Good luck! Do lets us know how it went! :D

Entropia

No One Remembers
I've finally started working away at Couch 2 5K rather than just 'running'. I've actually started to enjoy running, I wish I had done it sooner! I'll admit that I've been doing it irregularly, i.e. not every other day but I've been getting better at that. I just did the Week 6, Day 2 session last night. It's crazy to me that the 8-9 weeks ago when I started this I'd be able to run for 10 minutes straight without running out of breath or feeling exhausted!

I'd say just stick to regular target pace on flat portions and take it easy on the uphill. Shorten the stride, lean into the hill a bit, light and quick on your feet, swing your arms a little more than normal to "drive" your legs.

But I wouldn't make... ehr... a mountain out of it. If that's the only difficulty, you'll do fine. Just quietly jog upward and before you'll know you'll be over the hump (figuratively and literaly).

Good luck! Do lets us know how it went! :D

Thanks, I'll be sure to check back in at some point. I'm not too worried about the bridge... the incline lasts a little more than a half mile, and there's a water/aid station at the peak. Mostly, I'm just excited to get out there again, be part of a fun event, and set a PR (which it will be no matter what since I've never performed in a race this long!)

Pedrito

Random question: when you take part in an official race, do they normally let you run with headphones on? I can't tolerate the sound of my heavy breathing.

I'm thinking of signing up for an half-marathon in the fall. The longest I've ever ran is 16k, but I should be able to get to 21k in cold weather without too much improvement. It would be my first race. It's surprisingly expensive to sigh up for these...But then, it goes to charity so that's alright.

Zoe

Ran a 5K race/fun run last night. It was so hot and humid that I got a little queasy at mile 2--ended up walking the rest :(

Random question: when you take part in an official race, do they normally let you run with headphones on? I can't tolerate the sound of my heavy breathing.

I run almost all my races with headphones. It should be stated somewhere in the official rules for each race though.

Cyan

Banned
Thanks, I'll be sure to check back in at some point. I'm not too worried about the bridge... the incline lasts a little more than a half mile, and there's a water/aid station at the peak. Mostly, I'm just excited to get out there again, be part of a fun event, and set a PR (which it will be no matter what since I've never performed in a race this long!)

You're gonna be slower on a course with inclines, even if there are corresponding downhill parts. I'd say hold back a little and don't worry too much about times, since the hills will mess things up.

DagsJT

I'm thinking of signing up for an half-marathon in the fall. The longest I've ever ran is 16k, but I should be able to get to 21k in cold weather without too much improvement. It would be my first race. It's surprisingly expensive to sigh up for these...But then, it goes to charity so that's alright.

Rules have changed in the UK recently and a lot of races have now banned earphones. Each race differs though.

In my limited experience, headphones were always allowed. Hell, I didn't even think to check to see if there were any rules about that.

Having a running playlist is a must.

You're gonna be slower on a course with inclines, even if there are corresponding downhill parts. I'd say hold back a little and don't worry too much about times, since the hills will mess things up.

The decline is immediate, and almost perfectly mirrors the incline. I'm going to try to hold back, but I tend to let my adrenaline push me, especially early on.

Fistwell

Used to be allowed everywhere, now some races are starting to not allow it. Like Zoe said, check the rules, it'll be in there if it's forbidden.

Ran a 5K race/fun run last night. It was so hot and humid that I got a little queasy at mile 2--ended up walking the rest :(
Ouch. :'(

I've finally started working away at Couch 2 5K rather than just 'running'. I've actually started to enjoy running, I wish I had done it sooner! I'll admit that I've been doing it irregularly, i.e. not every other day but I've been getting better at that. I just did the Week 6, Day 2 session last night. It's crazy to me that the 8-9 weeks ago when I started this I'd be able to run for 10 minutes straight without running out of breath or feeling exhausted!
Congrats! It only gets better from here! :D

jerry113

Banned
So I want to use a running app on my phone to keep track of distance & time on my runs, but I can't figure out a good way to carry my phone while running. In the pocket is cumbersome and uncomfortable. Got any suggestions? Like a thing you can attach to your arm or something? Thanks,.

Fistwell

So I want to use a running app on my phone to keep track of distance & time on my runs, but I can't figure out a good way to carry my phone while running. In the pocket is cumbersome and uncomfortable. Got any suggestions? Like a thing you can attach to your arm or something? Thanks,.
Why wife had been using one such arm thingy. She eventually stopped because she felt it fucked with her balance, she went with the ever fashionable fanny pack (the weight being centered and lower makes it better apparently).

DagsJT

Flipbelt or Running Buddy pouch? I have an RB and it's great, I forget I'm wearing pretty much instantly.

Top Bottom