• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF spricht Deutsch, zumindest hier drinnen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

YOU GERMANS EAT PIZZA WITH A FORK?!?!?! AND FRIES TOO!??!?! WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE

Only in formal environments. Much of that guide is more like a "How to not look like an idiot in front of business partners".

In private, I eat like a pig.

Still, we value our personal space. Not as much like the Scandinavians, and it's definitely a bit different among younger people, but in general it's

tumblr_lzplvdgRtg1qzl2dno1_500.gif

I wanted to say not true (it isn't for me and most people I know), but I decided to research first.

Outside Looks at your culture like this are really interesting. And sometimes a bit sad :-D

"Don't greet people with 'how are you', unless you want to spend the next fifteen minutes listening to their personal problems."

That made me chuckle.

And "you must absolutely visit the Oktoberfest!!!" and "Never get drunk" is a tad confusing.

YOU GERMANS EAT PIZZA WITH A FORK?!?!?! AND FRIES TOO!??!?! WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet. That might be the case when you go to a fancy restaurant or a business dinner, but otherwise it's wrong and ridiculous, like many tips on that page.

m3r4

Dufter Typ taking lurking to the next level
I give a short Twitter-like update about how I've been recently and try to return the question as soon as possible. I always feel like I'm wasting the other person's time with my rambling.

Oh, and I love hugging people. :D All the more difficult since I'll start working in Japan in May - Japanese can't hug for shit...

Only in formal environments. Much of that guide is more like a "How to not look like an idiot in front of business partners".

In private, I eat like a pig.

Still, we value our personal space. Not as much like the Scandinavians, and it's definitely a bit different among younger people, but in general it's

tumblr_lzplvdgRtg1qzl2dno1_500.gif

What if it's a cute girl trying to hug you or greet you with a kiss on the cheek?

Milchjon

I give a short Twitter-like update about how I've been recently and try to return the question as soon as possible. I always feel like I'm wasting the other person's time with my rambling.

Well, the thing is, for Americans "how are you" is basically "hello", and you are kinda expected to answer "fine". For Germans, it seems to be an actual question.

What if it's a cute girl trying to hug you or greet you with a kiss on the cheek?

2308.jpg

Of course it all depends on your personal relationship with the person in question. But we're a much more hands-off culture when it comes to greeting.

fuenf

Fuck :( Inline Skating crash, I grazed my knee and hand. Fucking German sidewalks, there was a 3cm wide space between to plates.... I hit it directly with my skate and stalled competely.

Scheiße :(

Well, the thing is, for Americans "how are you" is basically "hello", and you are kinda expected to answer "fine". For Germans, it seems to be an actual question.

It really depends on the relationship you have with the person you ask. My boss always asks his business partners how they are, when he calls them. They give him a short answer and then it's back to business.

Now I understand why German women love to marry foreigners. Italian gentlemen like brot just treat ladies much, much better than the typical German dude.

vitacola

Wenn sie es überhaupt schaffen, aus der Sauerkrautküche zu entfliehen!
#Aufschrei

EDIT:
Von dem Link vorherige Seite:
"Never get drunk, as public drunkenness is not acceptable."
LOL! Wo genau in Deutschland?

"When invited for dinner, never be late. You don't have to show up exactly at the allotted time. A delay of 10 to 15 minutes will do. If you will be later than 15 minutes, call up and explain the delay. However, never arrive early."
Gerade letzteres missachen eindeutig zu viele Deutsche. Ich hasse es, wenn jemand zu früh an meiner Haustür steht.

Wenn sie es überhaupt schaffen, aus der Sauerkrautküche zu entfliehen!
#Aufschrei

EDIT:

"When invited for dinner, never be late. You don't have to show up exactly at the allotted time. A delay of 10 to 15 minutes will do. If you will be later than 15 minutes, call up and explain the delay. However, never arrive early."
Gerade letzteres machen eindeutig zu viele Deutsche. Ich hasse es, wenn jemand zu früh an meiner Haustür steht.

Viele unterschätzen einfach wie wichtig diese letzten 5 Minuten bei der Vorbereitung sein können. :/

Rufus

Dachte ich auch, aber dass es toleriert wird (Karneval, Fußball, sonstiges) heißt nicht unbedingt, dass es auch akzeptiert wird. Mein eigentliches Problem ist, dass es universell ist, wie andere Punkte auf der Liste.

Fritz

• Take off your shoes before entering the house, unless advised otherwise by the host.
  • Do not begin eating, until your host says 'guten appetit', which means good appetite or 'bon appetit', which means enjoy your meal.

These are actually no-gos imo. Never take off your shoes if you haven't explicitly been asked to do so and don't start eating before the host does. The expression "Guten Appetit" is bad style.

Viele unterschätzen einfach wie wichtig diese letzten 5 Minuten bei der Vorbereitung sein können. :/

It's so weird, even if I try to be late I am on time. So German.

Well, in the Rheinland (acquainted) men and women greet each other with hugs and kisses on the cheek, while men greet men with a handshake.

Never get drunk, as public drunkenness is not acceptable.

KuGsj.gif
WTF? Has the author of the article ever been in Germany? All the kids are drunk in public on the weekends...

/edit
Beaten by hours.

TCRS

Banned
Guckt irgendjemand Formel 1 auf RTL? Die gehören alle gefeuert. Langweiliger kann man ein Rennen gar nicht kommentieren. Die tun das nur weil sie müssen. Die sollten sich was von BBC abgucken was die Präsentation angeht. Kotzt mich richtig an.

Guckt irgendjemand Formel 1 auf RTL? Die gehören alle gefeuert. Langweiliger kann man ein Rennen gar nicht kommentieren. Die tun das nur weil sie müssen. Die sollten sich was von BBC abgucken was die Präsentation angeht. Kotzt mich richtig an.

viel schlimmer ist es beim Snooker.
The BBC has really cool and knowledgeable presenters who used to be pros and world champs themselves, eurosport has some dude who might know the rules but jack all about the players personally or all the interesting behind the scenes info the BBC presenters have.
also that poor dude seems to have to comment every sport they show on eurosports, every hour of every day :p

Akira

Hallo! Ich lerne Deutsche in Duolingo. Vorname ist Akira. Ich bin ein Mann. Ich mag Bier, es ist gut. Tschüss!

(my progress after 3 days, 2 hrs total)

Milchjon

Hallo! Ich lerne Deutsche in Duolingo. Vorname ist Akira. Ich bin ein Mann. Ich mag Bier, es ist gut. Tschüss!

(my progress after 3 days, 2 hrs total)

Proof that you can learn all the German you need in 2h.

What is everyone complaining about?

magiustra

Hi guys. In the next few weeks I will probably fly to Frankfurt (from Italy) for 3 months.

Do you know if there's a way to have a "flat" and cheap internet connection in Germany that I will be able to use?

I will bring with me a laptop (a Mac) and I was hoping for a way to connect it to the web. I will probably stay in an apartment or something like that.

You should search for "Zwischenmiete" (intermediate rent) since this will be usually the cheapest option and you get a fully furnitured apartment/room - sometimes even with internet connection.

Other than that, I would suggest to buy a prepaid SIM-card with a flat rate option and use it in your phone - and tethering if you want to have your computer on line. The cheapest options start from 5 Euro/month, but with a limited high speed data volume and speed throtteling of the volume is exceeded.

Check out this website for comparison of different prepaid, volume and speed options:
http://www.prepaid-testsieger.de/

I use a prepaid option with an internet flat rate with 200mb high speed (GRPS speed if exceeded), 200 free minutes and 200 SMS for 9.90 Euro from blau.de

Milchjon

Thanks GunslingerVit, I will check it out.

Do you know what's the free wi-fi situation is in Frankfurt (maybe in some parks, or in the centre of the city...)? :)

Don't know about Frankfurt, but in general free wi-fi hotspots are very rare. There are some Telekom Hotspots that you have to pay for, and you get free wi-fi in restaurants or coffee shops, but it's not comparable to the situation in other countries.

You don't get free wi-fi in the park like in Boston for instance. Also not on trains.

magiustra

Don't know about Frankfurt, but in general free wi-fi hotspots are very rare. There are some Telekom Hotspots that you have to pay for, and you get free wi-fi in restaurants or coffee shops, but it's not comparable to the situation in other countries.

You don't get free wi-fi in the park like in Boston for instance. Also not on trains.

Oh, ok: I guess that for the first few days I will use my Mac in coffee shops and restaurants.

Thanks Milchjon :)

R.

Yup, free wi-fi is pretty rare, but restaurants (mostly fast food chains such McDonalds, not the fancy or small ones), Starbucks, etc. offer it if you buy stuff. Another possibility could be one of the several, and often shady looking internet cafes - 1-2 euro/hour.

German laws make free wi-fi really problematic for the owners, such everything is either encrypted or you have to pay for it.

Huiuiuiui...ein durch und durch deutscher thread. ich fühle mich richtig wohl! wo bleibt mein schnitzel? wo ist mein verfluchtes pils?? und wieso verlangt meine frau zärtlichkeiten, wobei sie doch weiß das ich ein autoliebhaber bin??

nonsense ende! :D

Wrayfield

Hi guys. In the next few weeks I will probably fly to Frankfurt (from Italy) for 3 months.

Do you know if there's a way to have a "flat" and cheap internet connection in Germany that I will be able to use?

I will bring with me a laptop (a Mac) and I was hoping for a way to connect it to the web. I will probably stay in an apartment or something like that.

Free internet is a bit sketchy around here. Like the others mentioned, some food/shop chains have them. If you're staying in an apartment, maybe you can ask your neighbour to let you log into his network?

I'm based in Ffm so let me know if you need any pointers.

Edit: Given it some thought, here are two options that kind of shed a blurry drinker's light on my behavioural patterns:

Murphy's Irish Pub has free Wifi. Smack in front of the Hauptbahnhof. It's a dive and a tourist trap but it's big and it's free, and central.
Yours Australian/Irish/American pubs: I usually go to the US one on Bergerstr. during NFL season and they have free internet. Just ask the barman. The other Yourses should have it as well. There is one, Australian I think, near Hauptwache which is pretty central.

magiustra

Free internet is a bit sketchy around here. Like the others mentioned, some food/shop chains have them. If you're staying in an apartment, maybe you can ask your neighbour to let you log into his network?

I'm based in Ffm so let me know if you need any pointers.

Edit: Given it some thought, here are two options that kind of shed a blurry drinker's light on my behavioural patterns:

Murphy's Irish Pub has free Wifi. Smack in front of the Hauptbahnhof. It's a dive and a tourist trap but it's big and it's free, and central.

Thanks Wrayfield: I will check the Murphy's Irish Pub.

And maybe I will bother you again if I will be in trouble: I have a friend in Frankfurt, but maybe I'll need some extra help. I will be sure to offer you a beer or two, in that case :)

Fritz

Thanks Wrayfield: I will check the Murphy's Irish Pub.

And maybe I will bother you again if I will be in trouble: I have a friend in Frankfurt, but maybe I'll need some extra help. I will be sure to offer you a beer or two, in that case :)

Maybe you'll find a flat on airbnb? Lots of friends here in berlin rent out their flats or rooms. I even know some people who rent a second flat just to rent it out again.

On the topic of hugs and kisses: All the girls amongst my friends get two kisses on the cheeks and most guys get a hug and a pat on the shoulder. I always thought that's the universal way.

Yeah, I also get hugs & kisses from female friends. But barely any hugs from dudes (unless I haven't seen them for a long time or such) and definitely no kisses, ever. But I never initiate any of that, Einzelkind-Mentalität..

Summertime, my Kumpels - 20° & sunny for the most part - fick ja!
I was treated to a Nogger today ("Nogger dir einen"). Can't believe they still sell those..

Milchjon

Yeah, I also get hugs & kisses from female friends. But barely any hugs from dudes (unless I haven't seen them for a long time or such) and definitely no kisses, ever. But I never initiate any of that, Einzelkind-Mentalität..

Summertime, my Kumpels - 20° & sunny for the most part - fick ja!
I was treated to a Nogger today ("Nogger dir einen"). Can't believe they still sell those..

No sun in Hamburg.

Also, Nogger Choc is one of the best.

Ewww, Birne.

Don't know if it was posted yet, but do you guys know the blog from wash echte?

It's a survival guide for us art school students that move to Berlin.. Written by an expat, that knows "how to blend in with zu germans".

http://www.ichwerdeeinberliner.com/archive

When first coming to Germany, foreigners are often startled by the sheer amount of palpable poor taste in clothing, hair cuts, movies, art, and career choices German people display.

The merit of using irony was to come out of every situation as cool, easy-going, and edgy, and at the same time 1-up you, that complex-laden, boring person who can’t be spontaneous. By becoming masters of irony, they hacked the Matrix of social interaction, becoming completely invulnerable to argument or stuck up concepts such as commitment, straightforwardness, or the non-purchase of the latest David Hasselhoff album.

So what are the implications for you, struggling to blend in with the Germans? Easy - use irony wherever. It’s the key to understand and endure most of the preferences and habits Germans display. Even Berlin-Prenzlberg will start to make sense to you. Among German people, it’s considered the epicenter of the ironic lifestyle, and moving there will make you part of the German ironic elite.

As an added bonus, your ironic approach to life will be gladly mistaken by your German friends as having a great sense of humor. You will be able to truly get close to them, and become emphatic of things they treasure, like gay Star Trek parodies, riding skateboards after turning 30, or wear those quaint hard rock band t-shirts from the thrift store.
There’s a catch though - while theoretically, irony can enable you to emerge as the winner of any given argument, it is important to remember that it will not help you with matters German people entirely disapprove of, like: Tasty food, clothing without a paw logo, the Unites States of America, having no DJ skills, or living in a house built after 1920.

This is really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom