• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF spricht Deutsch, zumindest hier drinnen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fritz

What exactly are you insinuating, sir?

I've wanted to visit Germany since I got into grand strategy gaming. Prussia <3

So you simply HAVE to come to Berlin! Yeeha!

Is it really that good?

It's really neat. I wouldn't recommend flying in from Oz (Or any location more than 2 hours away) just to visit the Videogame Museum, but if you're in Berlin anyway, definitely recommended.

Speaking of pain, I bought this yesterday

09eT3Pf.jpg

and just tried it.

Good stuff.

Come to Berlin, we'll go to the Computerspielemuseum.

So you simply HAVE to come to Berlin! Yeeha!

It's the capital city, so of course I'll be visiting at least once.

I don't know in which city I'll be when you visit Germany, but I'd be down for a meeting.

Bare minimum is Berlin (capital) and Frankfurt (international airport I'll be arriving at most likely). I'd like to see a few big cities here and there but realistically I'll be there 4-5 weeks at maximum so I can't see everything. I know a lot of German city names, but have no real mental model for what goes on there. Koln, Hamburg, Mainz, Munchen, Trier etc etc. My best friend is a chef and he might be tagging along too, so if that's the case I'll want to divert to places that he might be interested in for culinary reasons. Whatever they might be :p

The whole Rheinland is easily accessible from Cologne as hub and are also good for simple day trips. Bonn is 25 minutes away by local trains, Düsseldorf 30 min, Koblenz 60 min, Trier 90 min, etc.

The real shame is that Ostpreussen isn't around anymore. R.I.P. Konigsberg. I'm sure there's still plenty of sexy castles and stuff in the current lands though. Might have to check out the old Imperial Diet and stuff.

Milchjon

I assume Berlin would be similarly well connected for exploring the nordöstlich.

You can take the ICE and be in Hamburg within less than two hours. Which I would really recommend, it has a surprisingly different feel compared to Berlin. Much less self-centered, too.

Plus, you have to party all night, go to the Fischmarkt in the early morning, and get a coffee from the real life version of Shenmue's Tom. Nothing like it, and I don't even like fish.

The Rheinland area is really nice, yes. Koblenz to Cologne or the other way round is a really nice trip.

Big step up from the hot sauces that are considered spicy (like Tabasco).

And compared to the After Death sauce (the one with the skull)? Tabasco really isn't that spicy, more a mildly hot vinegar.

Looking forward to a German GAF meetup. We should make the whole forum jelly with pics, stories, and anecdotes, so that the industry guys here in the forum decide to move their businesses to this uprising, small country in the middle of nowhere.

Fritz

The real shame is that Ostpreussen isn't around anymore. R.I.P. Konigsberg. I'm sure there's still plenty of sexy castles and stuff in the current lands though. Might have to check out the old Imperial Diet and stuff.

Tricky. As you can imagine the GDR government wasn't particularly font of the prussian/feudal heritage. If castles weren't actively torn down they were raided, disfigured or just left abandoned to rot. Parks were destroyed as well. After the reunification lots of old buildings were saved and skillfully rebuild but they hardly mirror the days of old anymore imho. I actually think the Polish have been more faith- and successful in saving and rebuilding their cultural heritage.

Totalriot

If you are into castels you might want to plan a trip along the Burgenstraße http://www.burgenstrasse.de/showpage.php?SiteID=1&lang=2 or stay in the Rhein/Main/Mosel area. But you rather don't want to stay in Berlin for trips to those. Besides, south/southwestern Germany has much more beautiful areas than the north anyway (unfortunately).

Fritz

If you are into castels you might want to plan a trip along the Burgenstraße http://www.burgenstrasse.de/showpage.php?SiteID=1&lang=2 or stay in the Rhein/Main/Mosel area. But you rather don't want to stay in Berlin for trips to those. Besides, south/southwestern Germany has much more beautiful areas than the north anyway (unfortunately).

But to be fair the ensemble of castles in Potsdam puts every other place to shame anyway.

Milchjon

True. (Lake of Constance GAF represent).

Another place that's incredibly beautiful and not too far from Berlin ins Franconia. Lots of castles and great old towns, a landscape that's almost Scandinavian in some places, and tons of small breweries (bummer that Mutes doesn't drink)

Totalriot

But to be fair the ensemble of castles in Potsdam puts every other place to shame anyway.

You're right, Potsdam has many really beautiful castles clustered together but I prefer the sight of those mighty castles in the hills, like Burg Eltz or of course Neuschwanstein.

I was wondering, is there a difference between Burg and Schloss in english? Fortress and Castle maybe? Or Manor for Schloss?

TCRS

Banned
The spider in my room caught something in its net. It's been hanging there for two days, but I think the spider is eating it now.

True. (Lake of Constance GAF represent).

Another place that's incredibly beautiful and not too far from Berlin ins Franconia. Lots of castles and great old towns, a landscape that's almost Scandinavian in some places, and tons of small breweries (bummer that Mutes doesn't drink)

Bodensee Region wäre ne cool Idee, im Sommer wäre ich da 2-3 Monate relativ nah dran und ein Kakäuchen würde sich da sicher auch finden lassen.

Fritz

You're right, Potsdam has many really beautiful castles clustered together but I prefer the sight of those mighty castles in the hills, like Burg Eltz or of course Neuschwanstein.

I was wondering, is there a difference between Burg and Schloss in english? Fortress and Castle maybe? Or Manor for Schloss?

Burg Eltz rocks!

I think Burg would be castle and Schloss would actually be palace.

vitacola

@meet up:
Interesting that DeutschsprachigGAF needs an Aussie to finally meet.
How long do you plan to stay in Good Ol' Germany, Mutes? Oh, and don't forget to bring those sexy accent girls you have in your country, but leave those deadly creatures at home, okay?

The spider in my room caught something in its net. It's been hanging there for two days, but I think the spider is eating it now.
Gut durchgehangen :)

It's not, but people around here consider it spicy, that's why I mentioned it.

If you want something spicy and delicious at the same time, try this:
Sriracha-Chili-Garlic-Sauce1.jpg

This thing is so gooood, yet so damn spicy.

My main problem with Tabasco is the vinegar. It always adds a bit of acidity to your food, which doesn't always fit.
Yeah... I don't think anyone here eats food with that Tabasco crap, it's not really mexican.

I ruined few meals with Tabasco, because of the vinegar. At least that pain stuff is mostly made of habanero peppers (81%).

You Italians are awesome for creating pizza, but you still have a lot to learn when it comes to spicy stuff. Habaneros aren't very tasty, so can't imagine that pain thing tasting good.

Go to your local store and look for these in the mexican food section (lol):
Tamazula_Salsa_Picante_Mexican_Hot_Sauce_Black.jpg
2173100189_3da2c784ca_o.jpg

Once you have them, buy a bag of chips (frito lays or whatever they're called in Italy). Drop them all in a bowl and cover them all with hot sauce (as pictured):

You Italians are awesome for creating pizza, but you still have a lot to learn when it comes to spicy stuff. Habaneros aren't very tasty, so can't imagine that pain thing tasting good.

Go to your local store and look for these in the mexican food section (lol):
Tamazula_Salsa_Picante_Mexican_Hot_Sauce_Black.jpg
2173100189_3da2c784ca_o.jpg

Once you have them, buy a bag of chips (frito lays or whatever they're called in Italy). Drop them all in a bowl and cover them all with hot sauce (as pictured):

It's "patatine" in Italian.

And I actually like habaneros. :/

Milchjon

It's patatine.

And I actually like habaneros. :/

After using 1 (!) Habanero for a pasta sauce (I don't care about authenticity) and it being barely edible, I'm not really sure about how to use them anymore.

One thing I did afterwards was to blend a finely chopped habanero with mayo and use it as a dipping sauce. That really wasn't bad, because there's definitely a slight fruitiness to habaneros.

I have a Dragonfire Beast Killer hot sauce in my fridge - bought it at some spicy food eating contest. I put a drop on a table spoon and let it run back into the bottle then tried it. My whole mouth was numb and burning for around 30 minutes. I do like that the sauce is really "all natural" with Naga Chili and not as sour or chemical as some of the over the top hot sauces.

The problem is - a few drops are more than enough for nearly every dish I make and after 2 years I still have half of the bottle. If I remember correctly it has about 20-60k Scoville. Not sure in what region that is. I do like to eat spicy but not if the sauce ruins the taste - at home there is no contest or bragging who can eat what.

I have a Dragonfire Beast Killer hot sauce in my fridge - bought it at some spicy food eating contest. I put a drop on a table spoon and let it run back into the bottle then tried it. My whole mouth was numb and burning for around 30 minutes. I do like that the sauce is really "all natural" with Naga Chili and not as sour or chemical as some of the over the top hot sauces.

The problem is - a few drops are more than enough for nearly every dish I make and after 2 years I still have half of the bottle. If I remember correctly it has about 20-60k Scoville. Not sure in what region that is. I do like to eat spicy but not if the sauce ruins the taste - at home there is no contest or bragging who can eat what.

The Pain 100% is supposed to have around 40k scoville and it's definitely too much as dipping sauce for chips. :lol

e: screw that, one site reported it wrong, it seems. It's just 13k, which is more in line with the heat and taste.

Hot sauce in the fridge?

The best hot sauces don't require refrigeration.

And sorry if I'm being too much of a spicy food snob, but you Europeans have no credibility when it comes to knowing spicy stuff ;)

Only a few Asian countries and Mexico are experts in this field ;)

Milchjon

And sorry if I'm being too much of a spicy food snob, but you Europeans have no credibility when it comes to knowing spicy stuff ;)

Only a few Asian countries and Mexico are experts in this field ;)

Too much heat kills any other flavor, so I don't need too much spice.

Although of course I'm jealous of your access to Mexican Food.

Too much heat kills any other flavor, so I don't need too much spice.

Although of course I'm jealous of your access to Mexican Food.

Not sure of what you're eating that kills other flavors, probably your tongue hasn't been "trained" enough. Here we eat spicy stuff since childhood (our stomachs must be pretty fucked up by now) so what may be spicy or hot for you, may be normal for us.

Not sure of what you're eating that kills other flavors, probably your tongue hasn't been "trained" enough. Here we eat spicy stuff since childhood (our stomachs must be pretty fucked up by now) so what may be spicy or hot for you, may be normal for us.

While I enjoy some spicy food and I'm always ready to take it to the next level, you don't really gain anything from it, because most people here aren't used to it, like you said.

Systemfehler said it well:
"I do like to eat spicy but not if the sauce ruins the taste - at home there is no contest or bragging who can eat what."

and while it might not ruin the taste for me, I'm sure it does for everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom