• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF spricht Deutsch, zumindest hier drinnen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate people who act like complete assholes to you if you don't speak perfect german. I don't know what it is but the last 2 or 3 days the places I went the people were just colossal assholes and it's goddamn frustrating as hell when your going out of your way to learn their language and you speaking to them in german. Sorry for the complaining but it's been frustrating as hell last couple of days.

Yeah, some Germans are assholes. It's not all roses and free blowjobs.

Ya, it's just that it was like constantly the last couple of days that just made it so goddamn frustrating. Usually it's more spread out. My hearing is pretty bad so even if I can understand the words they're using I'll have to ask them to repeat it because I just can't hear well enough but a lot switch to english when I ask them again in german and the tone they use when speaking english is just so condescending. I just found out this past week that my university has free copies of the newspaper so I've been getting that for the last week or so to help practice. :D

go to France for the day and the meanest of Germans will seem like Mother Theresa. Talk about the biggest fucking assholes this side of the Europe. At least in regards to you not speaking French.

i DO understand their issue though, it must suck horribly having to deal daily with jerkwads like us who don't know the language yet live their regardless. In Arizona that shit don't fly with that Mexicans at all, you'll get thrown the fuck out. Yes English is the Verkehrsprache hierzulande, but stell dir mal vor, die Lage andersherum.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
The last 40 years or so, we had a constantly high influx of guest workers and immigrants who didn't speak any German at all, and tended to take a long time to learn it. The situation is quite different in that regard compared to Texas's. Only like 10 years ago or so, the necessity to be able to speak German was introduced to get citizenship or permanent residence or something, I don't quite remember, but it was a big deal at the time.

Obviously, the lingual dissonance leads to problems in the everyday lives of all involved. The result is prejudice on the side of simple-minded Germans who can only think from here to the next street corner, and are constantly looking for something to bitch about to forget about their own pointlessness or something.

Not sure why I'm detailing that shit because I'm pretty sure it's like that all over the world. Like, with the Uzbek workers in Moscow, or black people in Tokyo, or the aforementioned Mexicans in Texas. And so forth.

go to France for the day and the meanest of Germans will seem like Mother Theresa. Talk about the biggest fucking assholes this side of the Europe. At least in regards to you not speaking French.

i DO understand their issue though, it must suck horribly having to deal daily with jerkwads like us who don't know the language yet live their regardless. In Arizona that shit don't fly with that Mexicans at all, you'll get thrown the fuck out. Yes English is the Verkehrsprache hierzulande, but stell dir mal vor, die Lage andersherum.

Ya, that sucked when I was in Paris but that didn't bother me (although frustrating) because I literally don't know not a single word of french so most of that is on me. It's not their fault but when I'm attempting to speak your language and not just talking to you in english at least cut me some slack. I doubt my german is that good that I'm constantly confused as a native german so be at least a little understanding. Like I said, I would totally understand so much more if I was only speaking english to them but when I'm literally speaking german it would nice to be understanding. Majority have been awesome and when I ask a question about something I didn't understand or how to say something they are more than willing to help me and seem genuinely happy that I'm trying to learn but the last 2 or 3 days I just ran into one asshole after another. Just a frustrating experience. And I'm respectful if I want to ask something, if there's others in line or I am possibly holding up someone up by asking something I won't because that seems sort of douche but when I'm the only person in the shop and I ask you to clarify or repeat you don't have to condescendingly start talking to me in english.

The last 40 years or so, we had a constantly high influx of guest workers and immigrants who didn't speak any German at all, and tended to take a long time to learn it. The situation is quite different in that regard compared to Texas's. Only like 10 years ago or so, the necessity to be able to speak German was introduced to get citizenship or permanent residence or something, I don't quite remember, but it was a big deal at the time.

Obviously, the lingual dissonance leads to problems in the everyday lives of all involved. The result is prejudice on the side of simple-minded Germans who can only think from here to the next street corner, and are constantly looking for something to bitch about to forget about their own pointlessness or something.

Not sure why I'm detailing that shit because I'm pretty sure it's like that all over the world. Like, with the Uzbek workers in Moscow, or black people in Tokyo, or the aforementioned Mexicans in Texas. And so forth.

Of course, I would be shocked if it wasn't like that literally everywhere. I know it happens in the US by stupid people. I realize it can be annoying for the people being talked to at times but after having tried to learn other languages and the difficulty of doing that, especially fluently, it's hard to have nothing but respect for the person attempting it. It may be tiresome at times but whether germans or other people I've met here who have a question about english or want to practice their english I'm more than happy to oblige because I know how difficult it is and I have a lot of respect for them trying. Like I said, I don't really mind the response if I'm talking in english because I'm forcing them to do something they don't have but when it's frustrating when you're obviously trying and want to improve. Like I said though, nothing to take personal but after 2 shops in a row do it and you have one more place you have to go and you just know it's going to happen again. :p

Edit: It's just unfortunate no matter where it happens though because (at least for me) it makes the person frustrated and less willing to speak in that language. At least for a little while since it feels like no matter what you say you just get insulted so why not just speak english or your mother tongue if you'll get the same response regardless? No big deal anymore though, just frustrating at times. :)

Zaraki i think you need some connectors and placeholders to throw in conversation as to basically create artificial gaps and give more time to think and to throw smoke in the face of jerks. Thinks like "i have the impression, yes actually, to be honest, not at the moment, etc. etc, just looking, thanks"

"nur umschauen" has saved me a lot of hassle...

and remember, make your "uhhhs" and "ummmmm" into an ähm!

btw; is it bad or improper to say gell as another way of Wahr nicht or English "yea?" (not oder)
like in English the tendency for me to end a statement or question with a "yea?" or the equivalent Canadian "Eh" (looool) makes me always add something at the end of my utterences, and Wahr Nicht sounds too proper

Zaraki i think you need some connectors and placeholders to throw in conversation as to basically create artificial gaps and give more time to think and to throw smoke in the face of jerks. Thinks like "i have the impression, yes actually, to be honest, not at the moment, etc. etc, just looking, thanks"

"nur umschauen" has saved me a lot of hassle...

and remember, make your "uhhhs" and "ummmmm" into an ähm!

btw; is it bad or improper to say gell as another way of Wahr nicht or English "yea?" (not oder)
like in English the tendency for me to end a statement or question with a "yea?" or the equivalent Canadian "Eh" (looool) makes me always add something at the end of my utterences, and Wahr Nicht sounds too proper

I just say Ja for "year" but I have no idea if that's right. I say it with the same inflection like you want to but like I said I have no idea if that's right. And it's just stereotypical (just like people who do it in the US) that I can't hear them so I ask them to repeat it and I learn closer to hear better and they say it the same volume or sometimes quieter but then when they get pissy and switch to english they're like fucking yelling at me. It's frustrating and funny at the same time.

selbst die Deutschen werden von mir nicht %100 vertraut, wenn sie mir diese Sachen erklären. Deshalb wende ich mich so oft an NeoGaf;

Darauf kommt es an - that's the point!

Es kommt darauf an - it/that depends

ja? ne? doch?

fuenf

selbst die Deutschen werden von mir nicht %100 vertraut, wenn sie mir diese Sachen erklären. Deshalb wende ich mich so oft an NeoGaf;

Darauf kommt es an - that's the point!

Es kommt darauf an - it/that depends

ja? ne? doch?

It depends ;). "Darauf kommt es an" is a little more subtle, its meaning is more among the lines of "this is what matters" / "this is crucial"... something like "Du willst deutsch lernen? Darauf kommt es an"(and then listing some important facts).

However in a conversation something like "ja, darauf kommt es an!" can take on the meaning of "thats the point" if you partner emphasized something before and you want to show your agreement. But it would be better / simpler to just say "Das ist der Punkt" ;).

Die Bedeutung von "Es kommt darauf an" stimmt so.

btw. umgangssprachlich (colloquial) sagt man oft "(es) kommt drauf an" also "drauf" als kurzform von darauf.

fuenf

I just say Ja for "year" but I have no idea if that's right. I say it with the same inflection like you want to but like I said I have no idea if that's right. And it's just stereotypical (just like people who do it in the US) that I can't hear them so I ask them to repeat it and I learn closer to hear better and they say it the same volume or sometimes quieter but then when they get pissy and switch to english they're like fucking yelling at me. It's frustrating and funny at the same time.

Are you sure that they are being rude? I think they just switch to English because they think that their English is better than your German. I mean we still are Germans so even a conversation should be efficient ;) . I know that the following might not make much sense to you but Germans learn from a young age on that English is the international language and thereby feel some pressure to talk to a foreigner in English because. However, while most Germans are able to understand English just fine they simply dont speak it very often: so there will be a difference in tone and a lot of rough edges. Some might even speak louder and slower in the hope that you will understand them better that way.

My advice: stick to the young crowd (university students preferably) and you should find alot of people that are willing to help you.

thank's big time Fünf!

a few more questions that perhaps nicht so einfach sind;

laufen (etw. läuft [like my media player] )
klappen (das klappt)

wwhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat the fuck do these even mean? like a general "it works/ it goes/ it's going"

i've heard them so often but still can't derive from context what they are being used as, and seem real important.

Are you sure that they are being rude? I think they just switch to English because they think that their English is better than your German. I mean we still are Germans so even a conversation should be efficient ;) . I know that the following might not make much sense to you but Germans learn from a young age on that English is the international language and thereby feel some pressure to talk to a foreigner in English because. However, while most Germans are able to understand English just fine they simply dont speak it very often: so there will be a difference in tone and a lot of rough edges. Some might even speak louder and slower in the hope that you will understand them better that way.

My advice: stick to the young crowd (university students preferably) and you should find alot of people that are willing to help you.

Ya, but it's not that. I'm talking about people who are being condescending/rude about it. It's not a variation of talking slightly louder it's like almost yelling with a tone of just being rude. There's a difference between talking differently and displaying disgust that you are saying the word in english.

And ya, younger people are many times better than older but there have been a lot of awesome older people too. The older people (who don't act like a jerk) seem genuinely excited when I talk to them in German and usually more willing to talk for a couple minutes just about random stuff and go out of their way to tell me multiple ways to say the same thing if I don't understand. The older guy at the information desk at the college that is there some days has been extremely nice when I talk to and goes out of his way to help me with my german when I ask him about something. It's a mixed bag like anywhere but you're right that younger people are usually more willing to help but it's not always the case. The people in 2 of my 3 german classes are complete assholes. :( But it happens.

Milchjon

I hate people who act like complete assholes to you if you don't speak perfect german. I don't know what it is but the last 2 or 3 days the places I went the people were just colossal assholes and it's goddamn frustrating as hell when your going out of your way to learn their language and you speaking to them in german. Sorry for the complaining but it's been frustrating as hell last couple of days.

Really? I've never met people like that. Where did you encounter them?

Although I did meet one American woman at a German Burger King that only talked in English and corrected the pronounciation of the Indian woman at the counter in such an assholish way that I almost said something :-D

thank's big time Fünf!

a few more questions that perhaps nicht so einfach sind;

laufen (etw. läuft [like my media player] )
klappen (das klappt)

wwhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat the fuck do these even mean? like a general "it works/ it goes/ it's going"

i've heard them so often but still can't derive from context what they are being used as, and seem real important.

"Läuft" is more a description of a handcraft. "Der Motor/die Maschine läuft" = "The engine is running". "Klappen" is a description of a plan. "Der Termin/der Plan klappt" = "The date / the plan works".

"Läuft" is also used by many younger people as colloquial language similar to the answer of the question "How's it going"? But it sort of lacks respect and accuracy, so mostly it's used between friends.

Really? I've never met people like that. Where did you encounter them?

Although I did meet one American woman at a German Burger King that only talked in English and corrected the pronounciation of the Indian woman at the counter in such an assholish way that I almost said something :-D

Haha, the one mcdonalds there is a lot of assholes but the one outside the hauptbahnhof is the exact opposite by me. We went to that one one day and they were so extremely nice and even took away your trays when you were finished eating. The other one I get screamed at like an asshole for saying mitnehmen and being corrected to "einpacken" which apparently isn't even right. :p Oddly enough there's too bakeries by me one is Mantei and the other is Grimminger (sp?). I've gone to two of each and both Manteis the people were complete assholes and both Grimmingers the people were extremely nice and had no problem ordering/getting stuff from them.

Edit: Like I said usually it's pretty rare but those 2 or 3 days it was like everywhere I went to. I've never seen it like that.

Edit 2: Speaking of correcting people's english, the class I hate at the university here because of the teacher, that teacher keeps trying to correct my english and say I'm wrong with something when he's mistaken. It's so weird. Most teachers ask for my help rephrasing stuff, he asks me a question since "I should know it because I speak english" and he's wrong.

Milchjon

Haha, the one mcdonalds there is a lot of assholes but the one outside the hauptbahnhof is the exact opposite by me. We went to that one one day and they were so extremely nice and even took away your trays when you were finished eating. The other one I get screamed at like an asshole for saying mitnehmen and being corrected to "einpacken" which apparently isn't even right. :p Oddly enough there's too bakeries by me one is Mantei and the other is Grimminger (sp?). I've gone to two of each and both Manteis the people were complete assholes and both Grimmingers the people were extremely nice and had no problem ordering/getting stuff from them.

Sorry, I didn't get that across, I meant it the other way around. The American woman was the customer. The Indian woman said something and pronounced it in a very British way. I understood EVERYTHING, the woman just kept asking "what" and then corrected her very rudely.

Then again, the American woman also told her son "No, you can't have a salad, you must have proper lunch" :-D

fuenf

Ya, but it's not that. I'm talking about people who are being condescending/rude about it. It's not a variation of talking slightly louder it's like almost yelling with a tone of just being rude. There's a difference between talking differently and displaying disgust that you are saying the word in english.

Ah okay, thats crazy :(. Btw. dont listen to the McDonalds clerks. I would guess most of them arent fluent in german either.

Sorry, I didn't get that across, I meant it the other way around. The American woman was the customer. The Indian woman said something and pronounced it in a very British way. I understood EVERYTHING, the woman just kept asking "what" and then corrected her very rudely.

Then again, the American woman also told her son "No, you can't have a salad, you must have proper lunch" :-D

Haha, I understood. It just reminded me off the mcdonalds I've been to here. And what's so funny about that? You pussies eat salad as a real meal? ;)

I always enjoy stories like that though. :lol

Milchjon

Haha, I understood. It just reminded me off the mcdonalds I've been to here. And what's so funny about that? You pussies eat salad as a real meal? ;)

Well, my mom would've been awfully glad if I'd skipped the fries in the combo meal in favor of a salad. Making your kid choose a less healthy alternative is not really a thing moms do over here ;-)

"Läuft" is more a description of a handcraft. "Der Motor/die Maschine läuft" = "The engine is running". "Klappen" is a description of a plan. "Der Termin/der Plan klappt" = "The date / the plan works".

"Läuft" is also used by many younger people as colloquial language similar to the answer of the question "How's it going"? But it sort of lacks respect and accuracy, so mostly it's used between friends.

sweeeet, so that's why the media player läuft but whatever the stupid doktors in this soap opera i'm watching had something that 'klappt' when to me it all seemed to be roughly the same.

snap0212

So tornjaw and me met up again for my birthday and it was amazing. We went to a weird party, got drunk, got pepper sprayed by someone in a club, I got to go to the barracks where he stayed during his time in Germany, he spilled his beer all over a seat in my car, he met rude Germans and Russians, and he left me a huge amount of booze. And that was just one evening. :D Basically: A great time!

Really guys, if you have the chance to meet fellow GAFfers, do so! :)

So I have a question again, what is the difference between probieren and versucht? They both mean to try right? I hear versuchen a lot in my business classes but like when I go to a restaurant I heard someone say "Du musst das probieren". So is there a difference or are they interchangeable? Thanks! :D

So I have a question again, what is the difference between probieren and versucht? They both mean to try right? I hear versuchen a lot in my business classes but like when I go to a restaurant I heard someone say "Du musst das probieren". So is there a difference or are they interchangeable? Thanks! :D

"Probieren" comes from the noun "Probe" meaning sample or test. You can "try out" food with "probieren".
"Versuchen" is more used for an action or experiment. E.g. "Ich versuche mal auf den Baum zu klettern" = "I try to climb up the tree".

To be precise, German is a shitty language to describe the difference of those words, considering you could "ein Auto ausprobieren im Rahmen einer Testfahrt", too..

:(

Krelian

To put it simply:
probieren is used when you want to see how something fits (anprobieren), tastes, feels etc.
versuchen is used to describe an attempt to do something

Then there are exceptions of course and a whole lot of cases where both verbs are possible. It's best to just memorize the contexts you hear the words being used in.

Gustav

Banned

The correct context to use "probieren" in is when you want to test something.
For "versuchen" the correct context is when you want to try something.

thy_

"Probieren" comes from the noun "Probe" meaning sample or test. You can "try out" food with "probieren".
"Versuchen" is more used for an action or experiment. E.g. "Ich versuche mal auf den Baum zu klettern" = "I try to climb up the tree".

To be precise, German is a shitty language to describe the difference of those words, considering you could "ein Auto ausprobieren im Rahmen einer Testfahrt", too..

:(

I think in daily usage, the verbs "probieren" and "versuchen", are used indiscriminately.
The difference between them are mainly the nouns they are associated with - "Probe" meaning sample or test (or rehearsal, but then the verb is "proben") and "Versuch" meaning attempt or experiment (while Versuchung means temptation)

Edit:
Ich versuche pünktlich zu sein = I try to be on time.
Ich probiere, ob das funktioniert = I test if this works

am I missing something?

Ich probiere pünktlich zu sein = I try to be on time.
Ich versuche, ob das funktioniert = I test if this works

Works just as well

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
DerZuhälter;33229741 said:
German GAF is confident that it can't be stopped next year. The championship is ours!

We tend to not speak about how awesome Germany is at football. It's pretty obvious after all.

Hat jemand das neue Logo von Ludwigshafen? Es ist hässlich. Es sieht gleich wie LG logo aus. (How do you say it reminds me of? Like in my last sentence I wanted to say it reminds me of the LG logo when I see it.)

Gustav

Banned
Hat jemand das neue Logo von Ludwigshafen? Es ist hässlich. Es sieht gleich wie LG logo aus. (How do you say it reminds me of? Like in my last sentence I wanted to say it reminds me of the LG logo when I see it.)

"Es erinnert mich an das LG Logo." would be "it reminds me of"
"Es sieht wie das LG Logo aus" would be "it looks like the LG logo"

PS You're also missing a "gesehen", I presume. "Hat jemand das neue Logo von Ludwigshafen gesehen?"

"Es erinnert mich an das LG Logo." would be "it reminds me of"
"Es sieht wie das LG Logo aus" would be "it looks like the LG logo"

PS You're also missing a "gesehen", I presume. "Hat jemand das neue Logo von Ludwigshafen gesehen?"

Doh! Ja, ich habe nicht achtgegeben. :(

; Ich ahnte gar nicht = little did i know!

in englische umgangssprache wird das oft gesagt (huh, aint that a something.. little did i know!), es ist völlendig harmlos; ist das das Gleich hier? gibt es einen besser Ausdruck? Ich weiss gar nicht, ob etwas anders daraus erschließt werden kann.

"Ich wusste gar nicht, dass..." is more common than "Ich ahnte gar nicht, dass..".

"Ahnen" goes more in the direction that you alread had an idea, "wusste gar nicht" more that you had no clue at all. But "ahnen" is used quite seldomly.

LazyLoki

in englische umgangssprache wird das oft gesagt (huh, aint that a something.. little did i know!), es ist völlendig harmlos; ist das das Gleich hier? gibt es einen besser Ausdruck? Ich weiss gar nicht, ob etwas anders daraus erschließt werden kann.

Hmmm... "Ich hatte ja keine Ahnung!"
Together with some thing else, e.g. "Little did I know they were already gone": "Ich konnte ja nicht ahnen dass sie bereits weg waren."

Fritz

I actually think the expression "Du ahnst es nicht" comes closest in that context.

Are there any movies/tv shows people recommend seeing in german? Possibly movies that aren't available in the US? I ordered a couple disney movies but I'm wondering if there's anything else that's not too expensive that I should buy. Thnaks for any suggestions.

fuenf

Are there any movies/tv shows people recommend seeing in german? Possibly movies that aren't available in the US? I ordered a couple disney movies but I'm wondering if there's anything else that's not too expensive that I should buy. Thnaks for any suggestions.

Do you like The Office? Than you could try "Stromberg", you can stream it (and many other german comedy series) for free on www.myspass.de.

Gustav

Banned

You could always watch "Das Boot" in German.

Germany has not produced a single watch worthy TV series in the last 30+ years. The older ones I'd recommend are:

Raumpatrouille
Ein Herz und eine Seele

You could always watch "Das Boot" in German.

Germany has not produced a single watch worthy TV series in the last 30+ years. The older ones I'd recommend are:

Raumpatrouille
Ein Herz und eine Seele

Like I said it can be movies also. And the copy of Das Boot I bought in the US has german as a language choice, same with Wings of Desire. I'll look into the two you suggested though.

Do you like The Office? Than you could try "Stromberg", you can stream it (and many other german comedy series) for free on www.myspass.de.

Cool, I didn't know about that site. I watched two movies with people in German with no subtitles and I pretty much understood almost all of it so I'm just trying to listen to more stuff so anything that's decent and not overly expensive I don't mind picking up to watch in the US. :D

Fritz

As far as TV shows go, did somebody recommend Doctor's Diary? It's promoted towards the Grey's Anatomy audience but it actually is a decent comedy and behind it are some of the most talented young German writers imho. At least worth checking out.

There are tons of movies anyway:

Das weiße Band is a must see.

Schtonk is my favourite comedy ever and international.

Alles auf Zucker is more recent and pretty great.

fuenf

I guess somebody has to bring the quality of the movies down....

Some recent/popular mainstream movies:

From Til Schweiger:
Keinohrhasen
Zweiohrküken
Kokowääh
Wo ist Fred?
I know i know.. but still, Schweiger movies may not be the best but they sure are fun to watch. Most of them are romantic comedies and should be relatively easy to understand.

From Michael "Bully" Herbig:
Schuh des Manitu
(T)Raumschiff Suprise - Periode 1
(Achtung! German humor ;) ).

Random movies:
Ein Freund von mir
Fußball ist unser Leben
(this one might be hard to get, but it's a nice comedy about football and its fans (typically german))

Because of my avatar I have to mention the dubbed Bud Spencer & Terrence Hill movies. The German dub is something special.
I'd recommend watching: Die linke und die rechte Hand des Teufels
Zwei außer Rand und Band
(granted they might be a little bit hard to understand)

And then there are the "Werner" movies... watch this and you'll see what i mean: Werner Football Match

:) :)

I guess somebody has to bring the quality of the movies down....

Some recent/popular mainstream movies:

From Til Schweiger:
Keinohrhasen
Zweiohrküken
Kokowääh
Wo ist Fred?
I know i know.. but still, Schweiger movies may not be the best but they sure are fun to watch. Most of them are romantic comedies and should be relatively easy to understand.

From Michael "Bully" Herbig:
Schuh des Manitu
(T)Raumschiff Suprise - Periode 1
(Achtung! German humor ;) ).

Random movies:
Ein Freund von mir
Fußball ist unser Leben
(this one might be hard to get, but it's a nice comedy about football and its fans (typically german))

Because of my avatar I have to mention the dubbed Bud Spencer & Terrence Hill movies. The German dub is something special.
I'd recommend watching: Die linke und die rechte Hand des Teufels
Zwei außer Rand und Band
(granted they might be a little bit hard to understand)

And then there are the "Werner" movies... watch this and you'll see what i mean: Werner Football Match

:) :)

:lol :lol The Werner was amazing. I have to see if I can find DVDs of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom