• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF spricht Deutsch, zumindest hier drinnen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
auch sonst; 'other ways as well'

that sounds like a strange translation, how is this used?

btw, these recs are appreciated by all us Germanphiles

zing!

ich schäme mich fast dafür, dass ich den schuh des manitu früher gemocht habe :/ und obwohl ich deutsche filme normalerweise nicht mag, kann ich die welle mit jürgen vogel empfehlen.

ich mochte die nie, war ne schlimme zeit in der schule als die andere nichts anders gemacht haben als diese filme zitieren.

Fritz

ich mochte die nie, war ne schlimme zeit in der schule als die andere nichts anders gemacht haben als diese filme zitieren.

Schuh des Manitu is just lame, Traumschiff is outrageous. I must admit I havent seen it but is it actually based on ridiculing gay stereotypes? If so, way to go Bully!

Fußball ist unser Leben
(this one might be hard to get, but it's a nice comedy about football and its fans (typically german))
WORST MOVIE EVER. I also hate you now.

The last German movie I've seen is probably Good Bye Lenin

/edit
oh wait, Baader Meinhof Komplex was the last one.

I recommend both of those movies to ppl. who want to learn about German post-WW2 history (the first is a comedy set in the time of the decline of the DDR & reunification, while the second is about the RAF leftist terrorist group...probably not historically accurate though).

Kaizen

please don't kill me guys, I HATE Atze Schröder with a passion but I think U-900 was actually quite.. decent (compared to other German comedies at least..)

Fritz

ich habe vorhin das Leben der Anderen während der "Post War Germany" Vorlesung gesehen. war ganz gut

Martina Gedeck is' so scharf in dLdA!

d8a666a4cfc278a71aa2402022c56edd_m.jpg

That's from a Park Avenue (German magazine) shot around that time.

vitacola

From Til Schweiger:
Keinohrhasen
Zweiohrküken
Kokowääh
Wo ist Fred?
I know i know.. but still, Schweiger movies may not be the best but they sure are fun to watch. Most of them are romantic comedies and should be relatively easy to understand.
You forgot the best Schweiger movie:
Knockin' on Heaven's Door

ich schäme mich fast dafür, dass ich den schuh des manitu früher gemocht habe :/ und obwohl ich deutsche filme normalerweise nicht mag, kann ich die welle mit jürgen vogel empfehlen.
Besser als dieser klischeehafte und dämliche Welle-Film alle mal :p

ich habe vorhin das Leben der Anderen während der "Post War Germany" Vorlesung gesehen. war ganz gut
My opinion: One of the best German movies mentioned in here so far.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Filme von hier, die ich gesehen habe und empfehlen kann:
Der Baader-Meinhof-Komplex
Das Parfum (lies auch das Buch, das Buch ist sehr gut)
Wer früher stirbt ist länger tot (superlustig, aber arg bayrisch)
Gegen die Wand
Der Untergang
Die Geschichte vom weinenden Kamel
Herr Lehmann
Das weisse Rauschen
Anatomie
Der Krieger und die Kaiserin
Sonnenallee
Lola rennt
Comedian Harmonists
Das Leben ist eine Baustelle
Männerpension
Schlafes Bruder
Der Totmacher
Der bewegte Mann
Stalingrad (superkrasse Scheiße Mann)
Wir können auch anders...
Schtonk!
Homo faber (Bildungsfernsehen)
Pappa ante Portas
Das Spinnennetz
Ödipussi
Otto — Der Film
Das Boot
Christiane F. — Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo
Die Blechtrommel
Der Schatz im Silbersee
Die Brücke
Die Feuerzangenbowle
M — Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder
Metropolis (vielleicht einer der besten Filme aller Zeiten!)
Nosferatu — Eine Symphonie des Grauens

Gustav

Banned
Filme von hier, die ich gesehen habe und empfehlen kann:
Der Baader-Meinhof-Komplex
Das Parfum (lies auch das Buch, das Buch ist sehr gut)
Wer früher stirbt ist länger tot (superlustig, aber arg bayrisch)
Gegen die Wand
Der Untergang
Die Geschichte vom weinenden Kamel
Herr Lehmann
Das weisse Rauschen
Anatomie
Der Krieger und die Kaiserin
Sonnenallee
Lola rennt
Comedian Harmonists
Das Leben ist eine Baustelle
Männerpension
Schlafes Bruder
Der Totmacher
Der bewegte Mann
Stalingrad (superkrasse Scheiße Mann)
Wir können auch anders...
Schtonk!
Homo faber (Bildungsfernsehen)
Pappa ante Portas
Das Spinnennetz
Ödipussi
Otto — Der Film
Das Boot
Christiane F. — Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo
Die Blechtrommel
Der Schatz im Silbersee
Die Brücke
Die Feuerzangenbowle
M — Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder
Metropolis (vielleicht einer der besten Filme aller Zeiten!)
Nosferatu — Eine Symphonie des Grauens

The bolded come heavy recommended. How could I forget 23?
Also: Bang Boom Bang

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I'd like to add "Was nicht passt, wird passend gemacht". Shows the German in his typical habitat.

Ja, der ist auch geil, obwohl man den nur 2x sehen kann.

Und wenn Du deutschen Herzschmerz sehen willst, der unsere Mütter geprägt hat, schaust Du Dir Sissi an; der ist zwar österreichisch, aber auch in Deutschland ein Klassiker.

Felidae ist auch gut. Brutaler Katzen-Zeichentrick.

Und wenn Du eine Serie brauchst, dann schau unbedingt Ein Herz und eine Seele. Da schmilzt das Gehirn!

fuenf

oh wow :) just remembered the last german movie i watched on dvd and i just have to recommend it: 13 Semester. You can watch the trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo0jMQj_6zo .
I personally thinks that it's more of a dramedy than a comedy but it really catches the spirit of studying in Germany. As a student myself i could relate to tons of stuff in the movie.

RedSwirl

Maybe I should subscribe to this thread just to keep my German up. Ich kann nicht dieser letzte Satz auf Deutsch sprachen.

How was that? My main problem I think is that my vocabulary has gaping holes in it and with them I've forgotten the articles and forms of articles.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QENcN-srE0

Edit:
Maybe I should subscribe to this thread just to keep my German up. Ich kann nicht dieser letzte Satz auf Deutsch sprachen.

How was that? My main problem I think is that my vocabulary has gaping holes in it and with them I've forgotten the articles and forms of articles.
If I would just take your sentence to correct grammar, it would be: Ich kann diesen letzten Satz nicht auf Deutsch sprechen.

If I'd try to adjust your choice of words so that it would flow naturally, it would be something like:
Ich kann diesen Satz nicht auf Deutsch aussprechen.
Ich kann diesen Satz nicht auf Deutsch hinschreiben.
Ich kann diesen Satz nicht in korrektem Deutsch sagen.
(Obviously, the meaning varies there, your sentence is rather ambiguous in that regard, which tends to happen with English speakers for some reason.)

I think your problem is that you've got no practice, but you've got the right idea.

RedSwirl

This is one of the reasons I stopped learning German. Too many stories like this... I remember we had one German exchange student at our high school come into our class one day, and the teacher was like, "This is Frank", with a German pronunciation of the "a", and Frank goes, "No, my name is Frank" with an perfect American accent. We tried to speak in German to him, but it was pathetic. We kept reverting back into English.

Also, my uncle was stationed in Germany at the time in the Air Force, and he would tell me all these stories about how he *tried* to use his German, but people would just answer back in English, because they could tell he was American.

I still really love the German language (I remember the first time I saw Run Lola Run and was shocked how much I still understood), but it seemed really frustrating to try to learn a language that didn't have much practical use to it.

I just like the idea of being bilingual (which is very unusual for Americans).

RedSwirl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QENcN-srE0

Edit:

If I would just take your sentence to correct grammar, it would be: Ich kann diesen letzten Satz nicht auf Deutsch sprechen.

If I'd try to adjust your choice of words so that it would flow naturally, it would be something like:
Ich kann diesen Satz nicht auf Deutsch aussprechen.
Ich kann diesen Satz nicht auf Deutsch hinschreiben.
Ich kann diesen Satz nicht in korrektem Deutsch sagen.
(Obviously, the meaning varies there, your sentence is rather ambiguous in that regard, which tends to happen with English speakers for some reason.)

I think your problem is that you've got no practice, but you've got the right idea.

The highlighted are words and forms that I just didn't know existed.

Of course, you could also watch two German movies that are actually supposed to be good (I've watched neither):

Das Leben der Anderen (Won the Academy Award for best foreign language film in 2006)
Der Untergang (Nominated in 2004)

Ist "Der Untergang" gut? Ich habe dieses Film anschauen gewollt aber ich habe die Name vergessen.

Danke fuer die Hilfe. Ich werde viele kaufen. :D

Haha, same. You almost have to guess at times, those are all sort of logical combinations of a verb you already know and a preposition like how "aussprechen" is and you almost have to just assume something like it exists if you're unsure. It's on of the things that is so frustrating is that I can read and understand magnitudes better than I can speak because of stuff like that where I didn't know it existed before but if I saw it I would understand what they are saying. I just feel so handicapped still when speaking compared to reading/listening. And the idea isn't as usually for americans because most don't see a need. English has sort of become the defacto "world language" in a sense that pretty much every country seems to teach it as a second language if it's not the primary language. Even other exchange students here from various countries speak to each other in english because it's so much easier if their mother tongue isn't the same since every has it as their second language it seems. If that was less the case I could see americans being more fluent in other languages but spanish seems to be taught pretty early in a lot of schools now so maybe that will become more common in the coming years.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole

Well, don't let that discourage you. I know a bit of Japanese, but can't for the life of me read a Japanese newspaper. I had French for 7 years in school, but I'm not able to hold a philosophical conversation with an actual French person, no matter how much I like to imagine I would be.

You learned some German, but lots of basic words and forms are missing.

You could learn the language if you wanted to, I'm sure of it. You're the kind of guy that tries to build a sentence in a foreign language with little to go on, so you've got the moxy.

fuenf

Well, don't let that discourage you. I know a bit of Japanese, but can't for the life of me read a Japanese newspaper. I had French for 7 years in school, but I'm not able to hold a philosophical conversation with an actual French person, no matter how much I like to imagine I would be.

You learned some German, but lots of basic words and forms are missing.

You could learn the language if you wanted to, I'm sure of it. You're the kind of guy that tries to build a sentence in a foreign language with little to go on, so you've got the moxy.

and let's not forget that although the sentence is pretty basic almost every German would be able to understand it.

Kola

Are there any movies/tv shows people recommend seeing in german? Possibly movies that aren't available in the US? I ordered a couple disney movies but I'm wondering if there's anything else that's not too expensive that I should buy. Thnaks for any suggestions.

Buy this set here: http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/149448/Werner-Herzog-Klaus-Kinski-Box-Set/Product.html

Just 20 lovely euros for some of the best movies German cinema has ever produced. In my opinion, the works of Herzog and Kinski in it's entirety are unsurpassed.

ich hab eine Sendung von Tatort gesehen und ich fand es ganz cool, aber auf welcher seite oder Kanal kann ich es konsequent angucken?? Es war auf (??) HrHessen, als ich es zuerst gesehen hatte

oh LOL @ 'Der Typische Tatort' ist mehr oder weniger der Muster der Sendung, die ich gesehen habe.

ok so, ich habe "das Dorf" gesehen..........
uh.......

was????????????????????? what the fuck war das? Die erste Sendung, die ich geshen hatte, war wie ein Detektiv Krimi oder so etwas. Dies war doch vielmehr ein verfluchte... uh... etwas

fuenf

ok so, ich habe "das Dorf" gesehen..........
uh.......

was????????????????????? what the fuck war das? Die erste Sendung, die ich geshen hatte, war wie ein Detektiv Krimi oder so etwas. Dies war doch vielmehr ein verfluchte... uh... etwas

Like something from Edgar Wallace? Das Dorf was an unusual / experimental Tatort: http://www.bild.de/unterhaltung/tv/...kteste-tatort-aller-zeiten-21351916.bild.html .

Tomorrow's Tatort should be back to normal. The show is produced by a bunch of different local networks (branches of the ARD ) and the city it plays in depends on the network that produces the show. Usually you'll see the same city / characters only once or twice a year. That's where the huge gap in quality, style etc. comes from.

Im Endeffekt ich mochte sie, es war nur ganz und gar ungewartet. Ich guckte, ob ich überhaupt erst an "Tatort" schaute oder ob es ein Fehler war.

ich frage mich, was ist das 'wesentlichste' Krimi? wie, der kanonisch Klassik des Genres?

Das Wasser so kalt interessiert mich, und das ist überhaupt ein bodensee Krimi.

You were looking for a translations for "essential", I see ;)
I'd probably go with "prägend". You'd say.."welche Filme/Romane prägten das Genre Krimi (oder Krimi-Genre)?" or "welche Filme/Romane haben das Genre Krimi geprägt?" or "Welche Filme/Romane waren für das Gerne Krimi prägend?".
Agatha Christie for sure. And Edgar Wallace (I think he's more popular around here due to German film adaptions in the 50ies) is famous too and then some more Brits. I think they probably invented the genre.

/edit
I meant crime fiction, not movies. If you mean strictly movies, then I'm sure that Hitchcock > all

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Deutscher Krimi wurde vorrangig geprägt durch Sendungen aus der frühen und mittleren deutschen Fernsehzeit. Es gab ne Welle in den 60ern und in den 70ern. Der Kram aus den 60ern ist mittlerweile nicht mehr leicht zu verdauen, weil er so abstrakt und schwerfällig ist. Eine Ausnahme bildet da Stahlnetz, das auf echten Fällen beruht und immer noch unterhaltsam, wenn auch etwas altbacken ist; es gibt aber nur 22 Folgen. Das waren halt andere Zeiten. In den 70ern kamen Klassiker wie Der Alte, Derrick, Tatort, Polizeiruf 110 und sowas auf. Manche dieser Serien laufen heute noch.

quintessential, um genauer zu sein. hast du irgendfalls Recht.

na ja, danke sehr. Ich genieße Tatort trotzt dessen Inkonsequenz (einmal da, hier da...was?), doch vermute ich, dieser Inkonsequenz (im Sinne von Handlungsort, nicht thematisch) ist teilweise dessen Reiz, oder?

Nicht wie Law und Order, wo es geradezu die gleiche Stadt, Rollen, usw.

zwar weiß ich kaum irgendetwas über deutschen Fernsehen, oder eigentlich amerikanischen Fernsehen.

noch eines; geil kann sowohl "horny" als auch "toll" bedeutet? WAS?
dies ist zwar eine dünne Schwelle zwischen Schimpf und Schande und dessen Gegensatz lol

auch, Wie geil ist das denn = how cool is that?

sagte ich das zwar etliche Male pro tage in den USA, und hab endlich eine Entsprechung gefunden. Hat das rechts, oder?
Sorry für derartige lange Post! es ist wie ein Tagebuch oder so etwas :lol

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
You need to get more picky with your words at some point. I've bolded the ones that don't fit well. I've underlined the ones that aren't words at all. And your grammar needs work. I've marked the grammatical mistakes with red. I've put the right form in brackets directly after the highlight, if applicable. When you're missing something, I've added it red in brackets. HTH.

I usually don't do this, but I felt like it could do you some good, so please don't take it as a personal attack.
quintessential, um genauer zu sein. hast du (Du hast) irgendfalls (auf jeden Fall) Recht.

na ja, danke sehr. Ich genieße Tatort trotzt (trotz) dessen Inkonsequenz (einmal da, hier da...was?), doch vermute ich, dieser (diese) Inkonsequenz (im Sinne von Handlungsort, nicht thematisch) ist teilweise dessen Reiz, oder?

Nicht wie Law und Order, wo es geradezu die gleiche Stadt, Rollen, usw. (sind)

zwar weiß ich kaum (Ich weiß kaum) irgendetwas über deutschen (deutsches) Fernsehen, oder eigentlich amerikanischen (amerikanisches) Fernsehen.

noch eines (etwas); geil kann sowohl "horny" als auch "toll" bedeutet (bedeuten)? WAS?
dies (Das) ist zwar (aber) eine dünne Schwelle zwischen Schimpf und Schande und dessen Gegensatz lol

auch, Wie geil ist das denn = how cool is that?

sagte ich das zwar (Ich habe das ...) etliche Male pro tage (Tag) in den USA (...gesagt) , und hab endlich eine Entsprechung gefunden. Hat das rechts, oder? (Ist doch richtig, oder?)
Sorry für derartige lange (einen derart langen) Post! es ist wie ein Tagebuch oder so etwas :lol

Geil is a rather old word; it used to mean that some ground is rather fertile, plants grow well at a spot and such.

looooool, keine Sorgen, Mann. Man lernt keine Sprache, ohne vielerlei peinliche Fehlern zu machen. Aus Fehler wird man Klug usw.
ich schätze die Hilfe hoch (appreciate?) ^_^

Milchjon

Mein alter Deutschlehrer hat immer sehr komisch reagiert, wenn wir "geil" als "toll" verwendet haben. Aber das ist ja mittlerweile eher die Standard-Bedeutung. Wobei es natürlich extrem kontext-abhängig ist ;-)

Anscheinend kann im Französischen das Wort "baiser" sowohl "küssen" als auch "vögeln" bedeuten, das ist dann wohl ähnlich kompliziert...

Mein alter Deutschlehrer hat immer sehr komisch reagiert, wenn wir "geil" als "toll" verwendet haben. Aber das ist ja mittlerweile eher die Standard-Bedeutung. Wobei es natürlich extrem kontext-abhängig ist ;-)

Anscheinend kann im Französischen das Wort "baiser" sowohl "küssen" als auch "vögeln" bedeuten, das ist dann wohl ähnlich kompliziert...

ich vermute, "fuck" wäre ähnlich kompliziert. Ein ganz komischer Vorfall ist passiert, als ich mit meiner Tandem partner, die noch A2 bestenfalls ist, gesprochen hatte. "that fucks me! are you fuck?". sie war völlendig unbewusst davon, was sie wirklich sagt. :p

Maybe someone here can help me, I have a bank card from Deutsche Bank which I'm assuming I can use online since it also says maestro on it. But I noticed when I'm entering my info on play.com for that DVD set it says "issue number" and it says only for Solo/Maestro and card I have is maestro. Does a bank card that is Maestro have it also? Is there somewhere I should be looking for it on the card? I don't see anything on it that seems like an issue number. :/

Edit: I don't see a cv2 number either that it asks for.

jarosh

Maybe someone here can help me, I have a bank card from Deutsche Bank which I'm assuming I can use online since it also says maestro on it. But I noticed when I'm entering my info on play.com for that DVD set it says "issue number" and it says only for Solo/Maestro and card I have is maestro. Does a bank card that is Maestro have it also? Is there somewhere I should be looking for it on the card? I don't see anything on it that seems like an issue number. :/

Edit: I don't see a cv2 number either that it asks for.

if it's anything like in switzerland you can't use a maestro card online. it's a simple debit card that comes standard with any bank account, not a credit card.

if it's anything like in switzerland you can't use a maestro card online. it's a simple debit card that comes standard with any bank account, not a credit card.

Boo. :( Guess I have to use my american card again which kind of sucks. :/ I just sort of naturally assumed it would be a card you could use online and use as debt like the US does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom