• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF spricht Deutsch, zumindest hier drinnen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you say "on" do you always say "an" or "auf" or whatever for something that's not talking about position. For example: I heard on the news that....

Would you just say something like: An der Nachricht, habe ich gehoert dass....

Things like that always mess me up because you learn about those prepositions but it's for actual positioning such as, Die Uhr haengt an der Wand and so for things that aren't using prepositions like that always make me feel like I'm saying it wrong.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
How do you say "on" do you always say "an" or "auf" or whatever for something that's not talking about position. For example: I heard on the news that....

Would you just say something like: An der Nachricht, habe ich gehoert dass....

Things like that always mess me up because you learn about those prepositions but it's for actual positioning such as, Die Uhr haengt an der Wand and so for things that aren't using prepositions like that always make me feel like I'm saying it wrong.

first things first: don't ever assume that a preposition is used the same way as you might use it in english! you might say that something is "on the news" in english, but in german people say something is "in the news" ("ich habe es gestern in den nachrichten gehört.")

location or position based things are the same. for example, in english you say "i am on the train" but in german if you said "ich bin auf dem zug" people will think that you are standing on top of the train! it's correct to say "ich bin im zug."

of course there are times when it's exactly the same, too! i.e. "ich bin auf dem weg" "i'm on the way!"

if you're not sure which preposition to use your best bet is just to look it up. of course, you can also just do it trial-by-fire and hope someone will correct you when you use one incorrectly. that's what i did!

first things first: don't ever assume that a preposition is used the same way as you might use it in english! you might say that something is "on the news" in english, but in german people say something is "in the news" ("ich habe es gestern in den nachrichten gehört.")

location or position based things are the same. for example, in english you say "i am on the train" but in german if you said "ich bin auf dem zug" people will think that you are standing on top of the train! it's correct to say "ich bin im zug."

of course there are times when it's exactly the same, too! i.e. "ich bin auf dem weg" "i'm on the way!"

if you're not sure which preposition to use your best bet is just to look it up. of course, you can also just do it trial-by-fire and hope someone will correct you when you use one incorrectly. that's what i did!

Ya, see that's what screws me up the most because it doesn't translate the same and sometimes it does so it just makes me get frustrated when I'm trying to think of how I want to say something.

noch eines; ist 'sag bloß' wie "no shit?!" or "ya don't say?"

ich will es nicht falsch nutzen

und ich habe in letzer Zeit das Wort 'gucken' bemerkt. Ich kenne die Bedeutung, doch nicht jeder Fall es benutzt wird. z.B mein Mitbewohner hat so etwas wie "wir mussen die redewungen in Englisch gucken" gesagt. Klartext; redeten wir über Sprachen Kursen und wie wertlos sie sind, nützlichen Aspekten einer Sprachen zu mitteilen.

noch eines; ist 'sag bloß' wie "no shit?!" or "ya don't say?"
Yup, more like "you don't day?", albeit a bit old fashioned.
"Ach echt!?" or "Echt jetzt?!" is more common nowadays.
und ich habe in letzer Zeit das Wort 'gucken' bemerkt. Ich kenne die Bedeutung, doch nicht jeder Fall es benutzt wird. z.B mein Mitbewohner hat so etwas wie "wir mussen die redewungen in Englisch gucken" gesagt. Klartext; redeten wir über Sprachen Kursen und wie wertlos sie sind, nützlichen Aspekten einer Sprachen zu mitteilen.

Mhh, so what did he really say? :p

"wir müssen die Redewendungen in Englisch gucken"
-> we need to watch those idioms* in English (strictly in the context of watching) - where you watching a movie by any chance?

or

"wir müssen uns die Redewendungen in Englisch angucken"
-> we need to look at the Eng. idioms*
(in the broad meaning of looking at things; incl. reading)

or

"wir müssen nach den Redewendungen in Englisch gucken"
-> we need to look for Eng. idioms*

* the closest to Redewendung in Eng. is probably idiom, but I'm not 100% sure.

/edit
ohh,
"Klartext; redeten wir über Sprachen Kursen und wie wertlos sie sind, nützlichen Aspekten einer Sprachen zu mitteilen." so it can't possibly be the first alternative.

Goddamn, learning German is must be hell on earth (I think that was a Redewendung, lol)

wie gesagt, es war nur in etwa was er gesagt hat, nicht genau.

das Wort sich selbst habe ich ein Problem, weil seit ich es gehört habe, scheint es als ob es mehr öfter gesprochen werden ist. es scheint ganz unregelmässig in seiner Benutzung.

er hat die übersetzung "observe" gesagt, doch wäre das nicht für jeden Fall.

Gucken is pretty versatile, but he's wrong if he says gucken = observe.
If I was an interpreter and had to translate some speech in real time I'd go with beobachten for observe.

thy_

wie gesagt, es war nur in etwa was er gesagt hat, nicht genau.

das Wort sich selbst habe ich ein Problem, weil seit ich es gehört habe, scheint es als ob es mehr öfter gesprochen werden ist. es scheint ganz unregelmässig in seiner Benutzung.

er hat die übersetzung "observe" gesagt, doch wäre das nicht für jeden Fall.

"Gucken" is colloquial and means the same as "schauen" (or "nachschauen" in your roommate's sentence). I think it's mainly used in northern Germany and is sometimes written as "kucken" there as well.

awesome, in my case the people i've heard it from are all from northern germany.

i have heard it also as kucken, but i was not sure if that was another word entirely. i was driven insane but was so happy when my roomate got what word i was getting after

awesome, in my case the people i've heard it from are all from northern germany.

i have heard it also as kucken, but i was not sure if that was another word entirely. i was driven insane but was so happy when my roomate got what word i was getting after

"Kucken" is for elementary kids who write it how they pronounce it.

"Gucken" is the only option. Or Kuckuck, but that's something else.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Really? I've only ever heard kucken not gucken.

It's an incredibly common mistake amongst kids. I had to learn that myself at some point. I guess Wiktionary and Duden think it's okay, but they're wrong. Because one of my teachers marked it as an error at some point. End of discussion. ;)

Edit: The pronunciation thing is a separate issue entirely. It's like China vs Kina in a way (only in terms of pronunciation, of course).

It's an incredibly common mistake amongst kids. I had to learn that myself at some point. I guess Wiktionary and Duden think it's okay, but they're wrong. Because one of my teachers marked it as an error at some point. End of discussion. ;)

Edit: The pronunciation thing is a separate issue entirely. It's like China vs Kina in a way (only in terms of pronunciation, of course).

"Kina" is absolutly wrong. Only said by hillbillies from Baden-Württemberg and Bavaria.

snap0212

Well, there's always more than one way to pronounce letters. English speaking people should now that.
Nevertheless, "Kina" and "Kemie" are both wrong. As I said, you notice the hillbilly.
The fact that these words are supposed to be pronounced the way they are is because a bullshit "rule" applies that magically doesn't apply in Chemnitz, for example.
I can't really blame anyone for not following that rule. ;)

LazyLoki

Hahaha, wie wahr!
Außerdem, was ist schon "falsch"? Nenn es halt eine "lokale Variation" oder so ;)
Lustig find ich immer die Leute die argumentieren "Chef wird ja auch Schef ausgesprochen!"
Ich persönlich weiß dass China oder Chemie nicht mit "K" ausgesprochen wird, aber ich bin meistens zu faul den Frikativ zu bilden und mach es trotzdem :p

i'll speak like a hilly billy from BW and call it Kina, because that's the only way i've ever heard except on the news..

i just discovered Fettes Brot rap group, i think my german learning experience is about to be more pleasant

Milchjon

i'll speak like a hilly billy from BW and call it Kina, because that's the only way i've ever heard except on the news..

i just discovered Fettes Brot rap group, i think my german learning experience is about to be more pleasant

Haha, as bad as German rap can be at times, it should definitely be a nice way of getting into the language. Maybe you should check out K.I.Z, they're pretty awesome.

On the topic of China, I'm from BW and I think I say it both ways, never really thought about it. Although I like the saying "Wer 'Schemie' sagt, muss auch 'Schristkindlesmarkt' sagen".

The fact that these words are supposed to be pronounced the way they are is because a bullshit "rule" applies that magically doesn't apply in Chemnitz, for example.
I can't really blame anyone for not following that rule. ;)

Charmant
Chance

People saying Kina also say Kack Norris.
Haha, as bad as German rap can be at times, it should definitely be a nice way of getting into the language. Maybe you should check out K.I.Z, they're pretty awesome.

On the topic of China, I'm from BW and I think I say it both ways, never really thought about it. Although I like the saying "Wer 'Schemie' sagt, muss auch 'Schristkindlesmarkt' sagen".

No. K.I.Z are bad rappers. Their is better stuff in germany.

Milchjon

Are Frankfurt and Muenchen really good places to go to? Or are there any other places to go in southern Germany that are really good?

München is incredibly awesome. Beautiful city. The people can be somewhat annoying, as they're overly proud of their traditions, but there's a certain flair to it. Unlike for instance Stuttgart, (Where I'm living right now), where most people are incredibly square/narrow-minded, without the charm that Bavarians from Munich somehow seem to have.

Don't know about Frankfurt, but most people I know seem to dislike it quite a bit. It's the financial center of Germany, and I think it shows.

Come to Trier, the oldest city in Germany and we get totally drunk.

I heard my german is better after I've been drinking! :D

München is incredibly awesome. Beautiful city. The people can be somewhat annoying, as they're overly proud of their traditions, but there's a certain flair to it. Unlike for instance Stuttgart, (Where I'm living right now), where most people are incredibly square/narrow-minded, without the charm that Bavarians from Munich somehow seem to have.

Don't know about Frankfurt, but most people I know seem to dislike it quite a bit. It's the financial center of Germany, and I think it shows.

I would have gotten a beer with you if I knew you were in Stuttgart!

Würzburg! :)

Maybe it's not right because it's wikipedia but apparently that was one of the cities firebombed to hell during WWII? It says 90% of the city was destroyed in 17 mins during a bomb raid? That's crazy.

vitacola

That's why we call it "Karl-Marx-Stadt" :p

What the fuck is "Soziales Lernen"?

No. K.I.Z are bad rappers.
Wait, what? The lyrics are awesome in their "fun way of rap". There are a lot of lines which will challenge your general knowledge.

And the use of samples ... come on, probably the best in German rap: "Können wir sie fickeeen? - Yes, we can! (Obama)" and "Was den Müll angeht ... - ... bring 'em out! (Jay-Z)" :D

You can't compare them for example to Prinz Pi, OK, but you shouldn't compare "Äpfel mit Birnen" ;)

I heard my german is better after I've been drinking! :D
Probably the same with my English. Drunken and rage English is best English :D

Milchjon

What the fuck is "Soziales Lernen"?

After some digging around I found this:

"Soziales Lernen

Wie lernen Menschen im und für das soziale Miteinander? Die Lerndimension Soziales Lernen gibt Hinweise darauf, in welcher Form und in welchem Ausmaß die Menschen in einer Region Möglichkeiten zum Sozialen lernen wahrnehmen. Dieser vielseitige Aspekt des lebenslangen Lernens wird durch Kennzahlen zum Sozialen Engagement zur politischen teilhabe und zum Stellenwert der sozialen Integration abgebildet."

Doesn't really help :D

There are people over here that know the Jags? I wasn't even sure that citizens of Jacksonville were aware of their existence, looking at some of the attendance numbers :p

To be fair it was a bartender who was a steelers fan and is a US citizen that's lived here since he was 2. But my point still stands! :p And ya, in the US everyone always thinks my jacket is of Panters... My green jacket that says Jaguars...

Kola

How to pronounce "China" in German is pretty much the same bullshit quality discussion as how to write color/colour and all the other words that are different between American and British English.

There's no discussion. "Kina" is just plain wrong. Same goes for "Shina".

That's true but they've re-built everything. :)

Ya, it looks beautiful in the more recent pictures of it. It's just amazing that back then you could wipe out 90% of a city in 17 minutes. That just seems ridiculous and then have it rebuilt as much as it has. Just blows my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom