• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF spricht Deutsch, zumindest hier drinnen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moin moin alle,

kennt jemand Ulrich Schnauss? Ich mag ihn sehr und will alternative Interpreten finden, die seinen Stil auch mitteilen, und sie sind ziemlich schwer zu finden aus meiner eignen Erfahrung. Vorschläge? Würd mich auch freuen, falls dass jemand herauf ab und zu auf Deutsch quatschen will, da ich ein amerikanischer Student bin, der Deutsch als Hauptfach studiert. Was man nicht übt, verliert man langsam auch, nee? Es ist nicht immer so leicht, um Übung mit Deutsch mitten in den Staaten zu kriegen. :)

MfG,

Michi

naja, es gibt doch vielerlei Quellen abseits NeoGaf, womit du deine Kenntnisse verbessern kannst. Hast du keine alte deutsche Freunden oder so etwas? warum nicht Couchsurfing.org ausprobieren? Hälfte der Deutsche hierher spüren sie überhaupt nicht bequem, auf deutsch zu sprechen, weil es so fremdartig ist.

Deine Deutschkenntnisse erscheint mir ja toll, sie ist aber doch eine Fremdsprache für mich auch so meine Ansicht ist nicht gerade vertraubar

Ogni-XR21

Hälfte der Deutsche hierher spüren sie überhaupt nicht bequem, auf deutsch zu sprechen, weil es so fremdartig ist.

I hope you don't mind me correcting you with your German... the quoted sentence is kind of funny because I know what you want to say but you used words that have the correct meaning yet are not used in this case.

You used 'spüren' instead of 'fühlen' which mean the same thing but in this context cannot be interchanged. Same goes for 'bequem' (comfortable) instead of 'wohl' (well). I also would rather use 'seltsam' instead of 'fremdartig'.

So you end up saying: Die Hälfte der Deutschen hier fühlt sich überhaupt nicht wohl auf deutsch zu sprechen weil es seltsam ist.

i wouldn't post here if i didn't want my german corrected at every instance :p it's a lot better to be corrected by gaffers than to not be understood irl..

exactly a sentence like that is completely arbitrary for me until it's corrected enough, like i wonder why spüren (lolol) or fühlen? why wohl und not bequem? they can only be learned through getting corrected in their instances

Milchjon

i wouldn't post here if i didn't want my german corrected at every instance :p it's a lot better to be corrected by gaffers than to not be understood irl..

exactly a sentence like that is completely arbitrary for me until it's corrected enough, like i wonder why spülen or fühlen? why wohl und not bequem? they can only be learned through getting corrected in their instances

Well, "wohlfühlen" is a defined German word.

Also, it's hard to explain the difference between "fühlen" and "spüren". I'd say, for lack of better knowledge, that "spüren" is usually induced by external influences, like "ich spüre die Kälte", while "fühlen" is more internal. But if you don't really want to think about that, "fühlen" is way more commonly used and usually right, so if in doubt, just use that one.

As for "wohl" and "bequem", they are not really interchangeable. "Bequem" is "comfortable", but referring to an object, like a chair. "Wohl" usually just means "well", but it's not really commonly used outside of "wohlfühlen".

Und sonst, hatten alle schöne Weihnachten?

Ogni-XR21

Different usage of 'spüren' vs. 'fühlen' in an example.

Du spürst ihre nackten Brüste auf deiner Haut. Sie fragt "Fühlt sich das gut an?"

;-)

In English you would just use feel in both occasions. You could still use 'fühlst' in the frist sentence but not the other way around...

Ya, figuring out which word to use when there are a couple that seemingly all mean the same thing is difficult (at least just looking at a dictionary).

And I just watched a movie in english and it felt weird not hearing them speak German... Make it stop. :|

Fritz

Ya, figuring out which word to use when there are a couple that seemingly all mean the same thing is difficult (at least just looking at a dictionary).

And I just watched a movie in english and it felt weird not hearing them speak German... Make it stop. :|

Great, now it's time to rock those sandals with white socks along with your shorts!

ich habe morgen ein Vorstellungsgespräch (für ein Hotel, nichts anspruchsvoll), gibt es aber irgendetwas, das ich weißen soll? Unterschiede Sitten usw.

Ich kann nicht warten, meine Deutsch auf der Arbeit zu verbessern

ich habe morgen ein Vorstellungsgespräch (für ein Hotel, nichts anspruchsvoll), gibt es aber irgendetwas, das ich weißen soll? Unterschiede Sitten usw.

Ich kann nicht warten, meine Deutsch auf der Arbeit zu verbessern

Always shake their hand and take off your hat. Germans don't love anything more than good manners in job interviews.

looooooooooool, es gab eine riesige Missverständnis meiner- und ihrerseits. Ich ging zum Hotel, wo ich besucht hatte, und sie war bei dem Hotel, wo sie meine Emails bekommt hatte. So beide von uns haben gedacht, dass wir in die jeweilige angenommene Hotels wären. Zum Gluck ist es kein Problem, die Sekretärin hat sie einfach angerufen und sagt einfach, morgen um 1230 abermals zu kommen. ich wusste allerdings nicht, dass es ein andere Hotel gab!

Does anyone know what "Abholung Abendkasse" means? I'm trying to buy tickets online and it's the only option I can choose. Does it just mean I pick it up at the stadium?

Fritz

Yes exactly. You should check if there is a time frame, in which you are supposed to pick the tickets up. Like in movie theaters, if you're not there half an hour prior to the screening they will sell the tickets to anyone.

Yes exactly. You should check if there is a time frame, in which you are supposed to pick the tickets up. Like in movie theaters, if you're not there half an hour prior to the screening they will sell the tickets to anyone.

I don't see anything listed on the site so I'm not sure. I'm trying to buy tickets for the adler mannheim game on friday.

Edit: Ok, I just have to get there before the ticket office closes at 6pm on game day it seems. Sweet.

Fritz

I don't see anything listed on the site so I'm not sure. I'm trying to buy tickets for the adler mannheim game on friday.

Edit: Ok, I just have to get there before the ticket office closes at 6pm on game day it seems. Sweet.

Golden rule here: If you pay for them in advance as well, there is no way they are going to resell them. If you are merely reserving them chances are they will.

Golden rule here: If you pay for them in advance as well, there is no way they are going to resell them. If you are merely reserving them chances are they will.

I paid in advance, they had me put my credit info and everything so ya I should be good. Now I just have to figure out how to get there. :D

so es ging toll, jetzt mal sehen, wenn ich eingestellt werden werde oder was. Höchstwahrscheinlich wird es so, aber ich versuche, nicht um ungelegte Eier zu kümmern.
Ich musste dafür sorgen, dass ich die Zeitspanne meines Aufenthalts betonte, da viele von uns sind hier für nur zwei mehr Monate. Wenn ich ein konsequent europaeischen Nebenjob für 8 Monate hätte, wäre ich relativ steinreich aufgrund der Tauschrate, wenn ich endlich zurückkehren muss.

so einder die letzte grammatik Begriffen, die ich nicht begreifen kann, ist 'als dass'. ich verstehe die Bedeutung, aber nie den Zweck davon.

Er hat zu viel getrunken, als dass er nicht... blabla

no entiendo ~_~

There is a German Hockey League? Wow.

:O You're all assholes, I hate you!

But sadly you're not the first Germans to say that. :( They look at me like I'm crazy when I talk about hockey.

On another subject, is there a way to say something along the lines like "Ya, sounds good"? It wouldn't just be a literal translation like "Ja, es klingt gut" or something would it?

so es ging toll, jetzt mal sehen, wenn ich eingestellt werden werde oder was. Höchstwahrscheinlich wird es so, aber ich versuche, nicht um ungelegte Eier zu kümmern.
Ich musste dafür sorgen, dass ich die Zeitspanne meines Aufenthalts betonte, da viele von uns sind hier für nur zwei mehr Monate. Wenn ich ein konsequent europaeischen Nebenjob für 8 Monate hätte, wäre ich relativ steinreich aufgrund der Tauschrate, wenn ich endlich zurückkehren muss.

so einder die letzte grammatik Begriffen, die ich nicht begreifen kann, ist 'als dass'. ich verstehe die Bedeutung, aber nie den Zweck davon.

Er hat zu viel getrunken, als dass er nicht... blabla

no entiendo ~_~

Totally read your last sentence as "no nintendo" and I was confused. And ya, exchange rate is nice but it sucks more going from euros to dollars with the dollar strenthening so much. My deposit for my room and stuff I exchange when it was like $.69 for every dollar and then there was a fee and now I have to convert it back to dollars when it's $.77 for every dollar. Feels bad man. :(

fuenf

But sadly you're not the first Germans to say that. :( They look at me like I'm crazy when I talk about hockey.

On another subject, is there a way to say something along the lines like "Ya, sounds good"? It wouldn't just be a literal translation like "Ja, es klingt gut" or something would it?

Ja, klingt gut! ;)

Btw. i hope you use the German word Eishockey when you talk to people about hockey ;) In Germany the term "hockey" is commonly associated with field hockey.

Fritz

Isn't Germany rather successful at hockey? I got lots of friends who grew up in either hamburg or Berlin and are pretty enthusiastic about hockey.

"Klingt gut" is pretty common.

Isn't Germany rather successful at hockey? I got lots of friends who grew up in either hamburg or Berlin and are pretty enthusiastic about hockey.

"Klingt gut" is pretty common.

They're alright but nothing compared to places like US, Canada, Russia, Sweden, Czech Republic, Slovakia. For europe it's for the most part up north/former soviet states that the higher talent players are. Or at least a higher concentration. There's only maybe a handful I can think of who have come to the NHL and a lot of international events you guys don't really show up to like the World Juniors going on right now.

Edit: And that makes sense considering Berlin is tied with Mannheim for most overall championships in the Deutsche Eishockey Liga. They're by some of the more successful teams in the whole league. :p

And damn easy phrases. :(

The sport is getting murdered by Fußball (like every other sport not named Fußball, hehe).
As far as popularity (ratings) goes it's probably like this:

Fußball >>>>>>>> Formula 1/Tennis/Olympic sports (if Germans are successful) > Cycling (although the interest has gone down due to doping) > Boxing > Handball (our guilty pleasure akin to Cricket or rugby in other countries) > Other kinds of racing (DTM, Motorcycles, Rally )>> Basketball and then probably Hockey.

Small-ish cities/towns and/or the ones with a weak Fußball clubs are more likely to have a successful Hockey/Handball/Basketball team

apropos Basketball und die Deutsche... einmal beim Party versucht ein deutscher Mann mit mir über die Phoenix Suns zu plaudern. Ich war überraschend, zuerst, dass ein Deutsch überhaupt über Basketball sprach, geschweige denn mein eigene, und zwei, er wusste mehr über mein diese Mannschaft als sogar echte Fans. Er wurde so enttäuscht, als ich ihm erklärt, dass ich Basketball überhaupt nicht mag. In der Tat ist er sofort gegangen loooool

Xater

apropos Basketball und die Deutsche... einmal beim Party versucht ein deutscher Mann mit mir über die Phoenix Suns zu plaudern. Ich war überraschend, zuerst, dass ein Deutsch überhaupt über Basketball sprach, geschweige denn mein eigene, und zwei, er wusste mehr über mein diese Mannschaft als sogar echte Fans. Er wurde so enttäuscht, als ich ihm erklärt, dass ich Basketball überhaupt nicht mag. In der Tat ist er sofort gegangen loooool

Hahaha I know this problem all too well. I am from Gelsenkirchen and if you meet someone new they almost always ask if I love Schalke. Everyone seems to be disappointed when I tell them I could not care less about what happen in the Bundesliga.

Ja, klingt gut! ;)

Btw. i hope you use the German word Eishockey when you talk to people about hockey ;) In Germany the term "hockey" is commonly associated with field hockey.

Yes, of course. I knew it was Eishockey but tried to see if people shortened it to hockey and the first couple of times I just said hockey people gave me strange looks so since then I always say Eishockey.

Fritz

Just a heads up regarding tonight's TV program:

There is Fritz Lang's "Metropolis" on Arte at 10.20 pm

and Gibson's "Apocalypto" at 11.15 pm on ProSieben.

Both with German sub inevitably.

Fritz

I just read that is indeed this version. It was in cinemas this year, too.

Was supposed to go but got sick. They had some live music accompanying the movie in a cinema over here too.

Watching Papa ante portas in the mean time. So many classic lines. "Herr Ober, können wir IHNEN vielleicht etwas bringen?"

Was supposed to go but got sick. They had some live music accompanying the movie in a cinema over here too.

Watching Papa ante portas in the mean time. So many classic lines. "Herr Ober, können wir IHNEN vielleicht etwas bringen?"

Two or three years ago, I saw Nosferatu in a cinema in Düsseldorf, accompanied by a live organ. Totally weird. :D

Fritz

Lower-Saxon here. But I was born in Bonn.

Metropolis is really pretty amazing. Robot Maria looks better than C-3PO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom