• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF spricht Deutsch, zumindest hier drinnen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCRS

Banned
Mutes, the Deutsche Bahn is warning people from taking the train north tomorrow and on friday. There will be cancellations and who knows how long it takes to repair the damage (if there is any). Not sure what your schedule is, just something to keep in mind.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Mutes, the Deutsche Bahn is warning people from taking the train north tomorrow and on friday. There will be cancellations and who knows how long it takes to repair the damage (if there is any). Not sure what your schedule is, just something to keep in mind.

What's a good German news site for stuff like this? As of now, this thread is my news source...

Rufus

What's a good German news site for stuff like this? As of now, this thread is my news source...
Local news media will often report on weather related disturbances, though they won't necessarily issue warnings beforehand. The Bahn itself issues warnings and reports on ongoing disruptions here:
http://www.bahn.de/blitz/view/index...D001_KIN0001_startseite-teaser-orkantief_LZ01
There's no English version of that page (that I can find, anyway), so it might be pretty rough to make sense of, unfortunately.

They put up notices near the schedules at the train stations as well, but those are mostly just construction dates and what schedule changes they entail. If you see a mole with a hardhat on one, it's construction. The urgent stuff comes through loudspeaker as it happens, so you're better off checking beforehand if there's something going on before you even leave the house.

WanderingWind

Thanks. I'm learning to read German pretty well, so sites work for me. I get to drive to Stuttgart tomorrow, so I wanted to check to see if I was going to die tomorrow or not..

Milchjon

I mainly just use Spiegel Online (spiegel.de) It's not flawless, but does the job. It's the site of one of Germany's biggest and relatively respectable weekly magazines.

Alternatives would be sueddeutsche.de, which is slightly more left-leaning and from the South, welt.de which is more conservative AFAIK, faz.net from Frankfurt, or even bild.de (our biggest tabloid). All these are relatively big daily newspapers.

Edit: Oh, I guess you were referring to more specific information.

WanderingWind

Those too Milch. I just got internet access back again today and it's time for me to start keeping track of all the goings on

vitacola

I need your help!

My mother wants to participate in an aid programme in Namibia next year or so. To participate she needs basic everyday English skills (talk to the other participants) and some knowledge about "animal English" (health care, food, behaviour etc). She has some basic skills and is able to have simple conversation. I'd like to get her a textbook (incl. an audio guide) to help her improve her skills for Christmas and maybe something "animal specific" in addition to that.

Any ideas or recommendations?

I have two more nights in Fra then going westward to koln so hopefully I'm ok!

Hammer24

Banned
Yup. Dirk Gently (at least in The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul) just follows the guy in front of him and somehow always ends up where he needed to go.

Yes, that was it, thanks!

On another note: stay safe everyone today, especially you dudes up north!

Milchjon

Yes, that was it, thanks!

On another note: stay safe everyone today, especially you dudes up north!

I'm only a few hundred meters from the Elbe, bring it on!

Only problem is that I have to go to work in the afternoon and back in the evening. We'll see how that goes.

Hammer24

Banned
I'm only a few hundred meters from the Elbe, bring it on!

Only problem is that I have to go to work in the afternoon and back in the evening. We'll see how that goes.

Take a canoe to work.
I´m already at work, and dunno how I´ll make it home, as they prophesied a metric fuck-ton of snow coming for us here.

Five Elements is on Moselstraße? hahaha, watch out for the junkies at night. already checked out the brothels? lool.

About 15 hobos walked past the window while I was eating my bowl of cornflakes this morning. Everytime I leave the hostel I try to cut into other streets as fast as possible, lol.

Hostel itself is boss though. 24 hour reception/bar, everything is spotlessly clean, free WiFi and buffet breakfast every morning. Right next to the city centre and main train station too.

Cologne? Aw shit. I really wish I had the time.

I had a very Gluten Morgen today, I'm sure you'd be proud.

Plans in Cologne? I might have some time for a Kölsch, but then again, I also have a big deadline this week
/weekend :(

No plans, haven't booked a place to stay yet either. Not sure how many days I'll come for. Also have no idea what Kolsch is.

WanderingWind

What is happening that I need to stay safe from???

PS. The Bavarian countryside is astoundingly beautiful. Drove clear across it this morning and it was amazing.

Oh, and the autobahn is magical. People actually pay attention to the traffic laws. They stay out of the left lane, except to pass! That's just awesome

What is happening that I need to stay safe from???

PS. The Bavarian countryside is astoundingly beautiful. Drove clear across it this morning and it was amazing.

Oh, and the autobahn is magical. People actually pay attention to the traffic laws. They stay out of the left lane, except to pass! That's just awesome

Welcome to Germany, just don't expect people to be able to queu, go to Britain for that.

There is a big storm front hitting central europe today. Nothern Germany is expecting high winds and flooding, central Germany is set to receive snow. We will see what happens...

I had a very Gluten Morgen today, I'm sure you'd be proud.

Pretty awesome that you still remember that one!

Also have no idea what Kolsch is.

36nDp84.jpg

Aaah, that explains why plain English didn´t work!
That's gonna be my new tag, right? ;)

So here is the annotated version:
Imagine a beer that has not been brewed, but went through a dachshund the way Kopi Luwak coffee goes through a Asian palm civet. That's what it tastes like.

Sorry, only found an English version of Wikipedia. ;-P

I guess that in addition to having never heard of those beans / animals before it was also difficult to understand because I drink neither beer nor coffee.

Hammer24

Banned
Haha, I have an Australian co-worker who's the most polite guy you could imagine when he talks German, but every other word is a swear word once he switches to English. Australia seems to be lovely.

Back in the days, when I had to take my NATO English test, the auditory part was a conversation recorded from an AM radio conversation between an Australian farmer and his wife on the farm. LOL Those were the days... *gets nostalgia eyed*

Haha, I have an Australian co-worker who's the most polite guy you could imagine when he talks German, but every other word is a swear word once he switches to English. Australia seems to be lovely.

It's the fear of Death waiting in ever corner/Bush that makes them edgy. Even Koala's are murderous cunts

I guess that in addition to having never heard of those beans / animals before it was also difficult to understand because I drink neither beer nor coffee.

No beer and no coffee? Why not?

No plans, haven't booked a place to stay yet either. Not sure how many days I'll come for. Also have no idea what Kolsch is.

I can't recommend a place to stay, but for the cultural excursion plan:
- Cologne Cathedral (entrance is free, climb the stairs to the roof 5-7 euro)
- Wallraff-Richartz Museum (mostly classic art, inner city next to the old city hall)
- Museum Ludwig (modern/contemporary art, next to the main station)
- visit a Brauhaus (e.g. Gaffel am Dom, Malzmühle at Heumarkt) and try some local food (Sauerbraten, Himmel und Ääd, etc.) with freshly brewed Kölsch (top-fermented, light beer)
- short stray over the Christmas market behind Cologne Cathedral
- tourists love the Chocolate museum at the Rheinhafen
- walk the Hohenzolllernbridge to see countless padlocks of love couples
- visit Hohe Straße and Schildergasse for shopping and fun, one of the most populated streets in Europe with a lot of street artists, tourist, etc.
- try Reissdorf Kölsch, Gaffel Kölsch, Mühlenkölsch and decide which of them is the best

The city's website provides some useful information in English:
http://www.cologne.de/

Do Australians even have internet access?

Yes, there is an extensive network of gumtrees and Koala bears that have been taught Morse code. It's why our speeds are so bad.

It's standard practice for Australians to use "mate" for strangers and "cunt" for friends. Makes perfect sense when you remember that we live upside down.

No beer and no coffee? Why not?

It's because I hate myself, I think.

Milchjon

Sorry, I should have explained further. I don't drink alcohol at all and the only hit drink I take is the occasional hot chocolate.

Well, alcohol I could understand (well, not understand understand, but rationally), but I can't see how someone would make it all the way through school and university without caffeine. Are you superhuman?

Although I guess no alcohol helps with no caffeine.

Hammer24

Banned
Btw TDF, I´d really love to invite you over, as we have the probably best and nicest Weihnachtsmarkt in all of Germany. But I guess you wont make it this far into the wilderness to the savage natives, being Australian and thus forewarned and stuff.

SpieleGrotte.de support sucks.

Their phone doesn't seem to work ("not available", "the number you've dialed is not in use at the moment"), don't answer the E-Mail.

Meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom