• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF spricht Deutsch, zumindest hier drinnen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi German-GAF. I'm learning German so I need some news sources. What are considered the best German-language video game websites? Any podcasts?

Any other free news sources you would recommend? Thanks a lot.
If you're interested in technical/science stuff you should give Golem.de a look. They also have video game related news and reviews from time to time

I also recommend areagames.de as a gaming news site and konsolentreff.de as a german gaming forum

Gerade erst drauf gestoßen, dass es hier nen deutschen Bereich gibt. Gut zu wissen

German friend of mine has a missing son. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't speak/read German, but details are in the picture:

10154509_717856608273496_1149191363563565226_n.jpg

You can also contact the father here

Or mother here
took the liberty of posting it here.

RELAYER

Banned
Hi German-GAF. I'm learning German so I need some news sources. What are considered the best German-language video game websites? Any podcasts?

Any other free news sources you would recommend? Thanks a lot.

If you like video games, another possibility for German exposure that you may wish to consider is watching German Let's Plays on Youtube.

You can watch a Let's Play of virtually any game you like in German, just search Let's Play [game title] German.

I've found that listening to German in this format can make it easier to keep up with the dialogue, since the commentator is usually talking about things that are occurring onscreen. So there is a lot of audio and visual synthesis.

If you like video games, another possibility for German exposure that you may wish to consider is watching German Let's Plays on Youtube.

michael-scott-no.gif

Great Scott, I think German LPs are the worst thing on Youtube. Unfortunately Youtube's recommendation algorithm decided that this is the stuff I want to watch.

However, this Gronkh guy seems to have a big audience.

phoenixyz

Da muss man immer unterscheiden. Bei den Kommentaren gibt es bei der FAZ öfters unfassbare Totalausfälle, aber natürlich auch durchaus angenehme Artikel, z.B. von Don Alphonso.

Ansonsten ist die FAZ einigermaßen okay.

Ich würde ja am liebsten eine reine Nachrichtenseite lesen, ohne Opinion Pieces oder ewig schwadronierende News Autoren. So ähnlich wie heise online im IT-Bereich. Aber bin da noch nicht auf was Vernünftiges gestoßen.

Ich würde ja am liebsten eine reine Nachrichtenseite lesen, ohne Opinion Pieces oder ewig schwadronierende News Autoren. So ähnlich wie heise online im IT-Bereich. Aber bin da noch nicht auf was Vernünftiges gestoßen.

Sobald jemand Stift zu Papier bringt wird die Objektivität verlassen. Kann nicht anders sein, es wird immer ein subjektives Empfinden eingebracht. Ist auch bei golem nichts anderes.

phoenixyz

news.orf.at
Da ist irgendwas falsch, da stand eine Meldung über Gauck in der Kategorie "Ausland"!

Sobald jemand Stift zu Papier bringt wird die Objektivität verlassen. Kann nicht anders sein, es wird immer ein subjektives Empfinden eingebracht. Ist auch bei golem nichts anderes.
Ja, das stimmt. Da gibts aber natürlich riesige Unterschiede von einer Seite/Redaktion zur nächsten.

RELAYER

Banned
A short while ago I posted about the apparent ambiguity to a native English speaker over when to use definite articles vs possessive pronouns in German.

At the time I didn't have very good examples as to what the confusion was, but in my readings today I found a sentence that might serve me as a good learning experience.

"Ihr Wille ist staerker als die Furcht."

"Her will is stronger than her fear."
or literally
"Her will is stronger than THE fear."

The THE is the thing I don't get.
The sentence is talking about her, so why not

"Ihr Wille ist staerker als ihre Furcht"

I mean, I know that I would be understood either way, but I wonder why it is expressed the way it is and how to make these choices when I'm attempting to form my own sentences.

Rufus

It's very much a stylistic thing in this case.

I can think of two interpretations. Her will is stronger than fear itself as a concept, not just her personal fears. Or stronger than her fear of something specific that goes unnamed, inviting the reader to complete the sentence in their head. "Ihr Wille ist stärker als die Furcht (vor dem Axtmörder)." Something like that.

RELAYER

Banned
Ah ok, that makes a lot of sense.

The more I learn about German, the more it seems to me like such a poetical language, with so many subtleties. I wonder why it does not widely have this reputation.

Thanks!

Rufus

Ah ok, that makes a lot of sense.

The more I learn about German, the more it seems to me like such a poetical language, with so many subtleties. I wonder why it does not widely have this reputation.

Thanks!
People like to concentrate on how harsh it (supposedly) sounds. D;

Yeah, depending on the dialect / speaker German can sound really smooth. Compared to, say, Arabic or Dutch where you get bombarded with throat-clearing noise: KHKKKHKHKHKHK.

RELAYER

Banned
German doesn't sound harsh to me either.

People always post those stupid images that compare words from languages, and the German word is always in capital letters.

Well of course, if you scream words it sounds harsh in any language.

But I think it sounds nice, especially certain sounds, like how German pronounces the "-tion" suffix sounds very elegant and smooth.

In fact my favorite ASMR person on youtube is a German speaker.
If you don't know what ASMR is, it's like videos you can listen to for relaxation purposes.

Example -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN_01ohz4Ds

I always wondered how English sounds like to people who can't speak it. Sometimes on the school bus ride home, since so many people are talking at once, you could zone out and kind of make out the sounds without comprehending the meaning. When I did this, it always sounded like some kind of weird German/Japanese hybrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom