• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF spricht Deutsch, zumindest hier drinnen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bonn has very strong law and economics departments and the university and city itself is very nice. But the rents for apartments are often horrendous if you don't want to live in a weird place with a separated bathroom half a story below.

If you're lucky, you can get a place in a dorm, but at my time in Bonn it was really hard and they had loooong waiting lists.

What are you gonna study?

sphinx

the piano man
Yo meine freunden und freundilen.
What is there to do in Bremen? I'm heading there later this year/early next year.

nice! may I ask, what brings you precisely to Bremen?? I hate to admit it but the guy who said take a train to hamburg is right.. :( Bremen is really a poor place for sightseeing.

There's the Strassenmusikanten/Roland Area, Schnoor part of the city, Schlachte to go and take a beer (becks), the Weser river which is nice but actual buildings.. I really can't think of... any... sure, there's universum and the modern art museum but even those, they are quite small.

the cathedrals aren't the most spectacular here, they are ok, I guess, if you come from America but if you are a traveling European, I don't think the St. Petri dom is worth a visit, you've seen better. Of couse, if you are stuck here, then go there, hehe.

it's very nice to live, much better than the stressful bigger cities, Bremen is exactly the middlepoint between big city and a small town, I don't need an auto or anything to move, the strassenbahn is enough, no need to move 30 minutes in a crappy Ubahn train to go to work.

Sphinx to the rescue!

lol, I think I scared him away with this post.

Milchjon

Gibt es eigentlich ein deutsches Äquivalent zu Warby Parker?

Irgendeinen Brillenversand müssen die Samwers doch zusammengeklont haben...

Fritz

Mister Spex?

Für die habe ich mal die Verträge geschrieben. Also Obacht!

Naja, mir brauchen ohnehin ein neues Geldsystem, bitte.

daydream

Banned
Ist das Thema 'Bremen' schon vom Tisch? Jedenfalls bin ich gerade hierauf gestoßen:

Z1LAEw8.jpg

Bonn has very strong law and economics departments and the university and city itself is very nice. But the rents for apartments are often horrendous if you don't want to live in a weird place with a separated bathroom half a story below.

If you're lucky, you can get a place in a dorm, but at my time in Bonn it was really hard and they had loooong waiting lists.

What are you gonna study?
It would be a Masters in Computer Science.

Also, my German is really really basic, would I be fine speaking English in these small cities? For some reason I think all Germans are pretty well educated and can speak at least 3 languages including English... but that's just my assumption.

Of course, I would be willing to learn as much German as possible...

Speaking English and rudimentary German would suffice in any "larger" German city, especially when it has a university.

There's lots of Americans in Bonn, too.

Has anyone a clue about how long it takes O2 to get me my DSL-connection?
They say 2-4 weeks would be standard...

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone a clue about how long it takes O2 to get me my DSL-connection?
They say 2-4 weeks would be standard...

so, O2 is fast now?
usually it really takes this long.

friend of mine waited 4 weeks.

fastest service I know is Kabel-Deutschland (or unity media in some parts of germany)

Also, my German is really really basic, would I be fine speaking English in these small cities? For some reason I think all Germans are pretty well educated and can speak at least 3 languages including English... but that's just my assumption.

What happened? Did FranceGAF betray you or something? Is Germany now good enough for you again?

Irminsul

Hmmm… I'm not too much in the know about which universities are really good in Computer Science, but I think the best ones in Germany are other options than Bonn or Saarbrücken. The latter is quite good, IIRC, but the best one would be Karlsruhe I think. If you're after such things, that is.

Yea I'd also be curious to know how you arrived at Bonn and Saarbrücken.
Not really the first Universities that come to mind when I think Computer Science.

kNI52ox.jpg

I studied in Paderborn.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
True, it was just one of the first ones I could find with google images.
On the other hands they are both more engineering centric I would say.

The assessment always depends on the criteria employed. RWTH Aachen and TU München, for instance, rank higher when it comes to total research and industrial fundings, which has benefits on its own.

In general, I would not put too much importance into those rankings, as the metrics are either completely subjective (student "happiness") or have little impact on the actual courses (research funding). The most important factors, in my opinion, are the diversity of courses, the chances for getting practical experience in the context of research/industrial projects (funding/reputation), and the university's reputation in industry.

The assessment always depends on the criteria employed. RWTH Aachen and TU München, for instance, rank higher when it comes to total research and industrial fundings, which has benefits on its own.

In general, I would not put too much importance into those rankings, as the metrics are either completely subjective (student "happiness") or have little impact on the actual courses (research funding). The most important factors, in my opinion, are the diversity of courses, the chances for getting practical experience in the context of research/industrial projects (funding/reputation), and the university's reputation in industry.
Oh I completely agree the rankings should not be the deciding factor. But they do contain some valuable information.

sphinx

the piano man
liebe Freunde,

gebt mir bitte einen Link wo ich Bayonetta 2 First print edition vorbestellen kann.

Danke schöne, alles liebe, tschüss baba

Gustav

Banned
liebe Freunde,

gebt mir bitte einen Link wo ich Bayonetta 2 First print edition vorbestellen kann.

Danke schöne, alles liebe, tschüss baba

Ich glaube das ist noch nicht zum Vorbestellen freigegeben. Kannst dich bei Amazon anmelden, sodass du eine Mail bekommst, sobald du vorbestellen kannst.

Hammer24

Banned
Whaat? No, it's nice and sunny here. A perfect day for work
(or procrastination on GAF)

Aaah, that must be the reason I head to wear my heavy duty sailing parka to work today.
And yes, I leave in a place the middle of nowhere has already forgotten about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom