• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF spricht Deutsch, zumindest hier drinnen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinx

the piano man
Only use Trokil's suggestion in the most formal situations.

and even then... it really sounds like a line from a theater play or en epic old movie,

the subjunktiv forms of many verbs are far more in use than that of the verb tun

dafür bräuchte ich...
ich fände is super wenn..
es gäbe eine Möglichkeit (or) es bestünde eine Möglichkeit...

all those you can hear them around but

"es täte mir leid" I haven't heard anyone use it here, quite frankly

Noch eine Möglichkeit: "Ich könnte mich irren, aber ..." oder "Könnte sein, dass ich falsch liege, aber ..." wenn du dich nicht unbedingt entschuldigen möchtest/musst.

Only use Trokil's suggestion in the most formal situations.

Is there much of a difference? Like is one more used than the other as far as using one as just a standalone statement or using it to start your sentence? Or is it pretty common to have both?

Mlatador

Banned
and even then... it really sounds like a line from a theater play or en epic old movie,

the subjunktiv forms of many verbs are far more in use than that of the verb tun

dafür bräuchte ich...
ich fände is super wenn..
es gäbe eine Möglichkeit (or) es bestünde eine Möglichkeit...

all those you can hear them around but

"es täte mir leid" I haven't heard anyone use it here, quite frankly

Yeah, I know, but it sounds just too cool, man! :D I think it even sounds cooler, if a non-native german says it, if you know what I mean.

I'm sure Zaraki is gonna get the chicks with this line (not kidding). Maybe not if they are stupid chicks...
So if you're talking to intelligent chicks, who happen to be your type of women, then use it. If you're talking to guys, don't use the line, 'cause I think they don't care about it much. Unless, of course, you're talking to nerds, then you'd gain respect again! :D

Yeah, I know, but it sounds just too cool, man! :D I think it even sounds cooler, if a non-native german says it, if you know what I mean.

I'm sure Zaraki is gonna get the chicks with this line (not kidding). Maybe not if they are stupid chicks...
So if you're talking to intelligent chicks, who happen to be your type of women, then use it. If you're talking to guys, don't use the line, 'cause I think they don't care about it much. Unless, of course, you're talking to nerds, then you'd gain respect again! :D

Hahaha, well I missed my chance since I sent the message yesterday. I guess I blew my chance to woo her.

Krelian

Is there much of a difference? Like is one more used than the other as far as using one as just a standalone statement or using it to start your sentence? Or is it pretty common to have both?
Not much difference, I think. I thought of yet another way to say it: "Vielleicht irre ich mich auch, aber ...".

It seems you've already chosen one, though? Which one did you use then?

Not much difference, I think. I thought of yet another way to say it: "Vielleicht irre ich mich auch, aber ...".

It seems you've already chosen one, though? Which one did you use then?

I just chose the initial one I typed because I wasn't sure how quickly everyone would respond. I was hoping she would understand and she did. I just saw a girl I had class with in germany in another friends picture and I just wanted to say hi but I wasn't 100% positive it was her so I just wanted to say sorry if I was mistaken and it wasn't the same girl. Either way I was curious what would be the correct way incase she didn't understand/so I know for the future.

On that note, how would you say "I'm looking for...." in german? Like if I go to a company and go to the receptionist and say "I'm looking for Fritz Klaus", you wouldn't just say "Ich suche für Fritz Klaus" would you? Also, does the phrasing change if it's an item instead of a person? For example: "I'm looking for a computer" or "I'm looking for the computer section" or whatever when you're in a store and someone asks if you need help.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Szudrinos

I'd say "Ich suche Fritz Klaus" or "Ich bin auf der Suche nach Fritz Klaus". It's the same if you're looking for an item, place, etc.

sphinx

the piano man
habt ihr schon eingekauft???

morgen ist Sonntag, dann Montag sind Läden und Geschäfte nur bis 13:00 offen und danach erst bis dem 2ten...

ich hasse diese Feiertage...

sphinx

the piano man
Warte, ist Montag nicht normaler Arbeitstag?

mmhh..bin nicht mehr so sicher.

Soviel ich weiss, sowohl der 31ste wie der 1ste sind feiertage...wobei die Läden am Montag nur bs 13:00 uhr offen haben und dann am 1sten. den ganzen Tag geschlossen sind.

Trokil

Banned
Klingt mir etwas zu förmlich.

I think there is not something as too formal nowadays. People are actually way too informal.

There was a interesting article in the spiegel about communication between students and there professors and how students are getting way too informal. Treating people with respect and formal language is giving you a lot of goodwill from the other side nowadays. So if you are writing to a stranger, use formal language, you can always tone down, but the other way is way more difficult.

I think it shows more that you actually care than making you look like a snob.

sphinx

the piano man
I think there is not something as too formal nowadays. People are actually way to informal.

There was a interesting article in the spiegel about communication between students and there professors and how students are getting way too informal. Treating people with respect and formal language is giving you a lot of goodwill from the other side nowadays. So if you are writing to a stranger, use formal language, you can always tone down, but the other way is way more difficult.

I think it shows more that you actually care than making you look like a snob.

my Uni teacher once devoted a whole session to tell us " Sie können mir nicht "hallo" sagen, "Guten Tag Herr Professor X" ist die einzige richtige und zumutbare Redewendung"...

we were like "o.k, we get it" :p

also zumindest edeka hat hier bis 17 uhr auf am montag … denke andere machen das ähnlich

jedes Geschäft macht das anders, Penny und Rewe sind nur bis 13:00 offen, hoffentlich sind andere länger offen,

sphinx

the piano man
und die Knaller zu Sylverster... Ich HASSE das Feuerwerk! ich werde wirklich aufgeregt...ich glaube ich werde Montag hier zuhause bleiben, das letzte Mal ging es mir sogar schlecht.

Fritz

und die Knaller zu Sylverster... Ich HASSE das Feuerwerk! ich werde wirklich aufgeregt...ich glaube ich werde Montag hier zuhause bleiben, das letzte Mal ging es mir sogar schlecht.

Ernsthaft? Wieso? Die Lautstärke oder hast Du Angst, das was passiert?

It will be the last year where selling those "explosives" is allowed and after 2017 the posession is a felony. I personally don't mind fireworks if it is handled carefully - but sadly 13 year old douchebags throwing them at you doesn't fall in that category.

Here (Austria) the 31.12 is a half work day and most shops are open until 3:00pm.

Fritz

It will be the last year where selling those "explosives" is allowed and after 2017 the posession is a felony. I personally don't mind fireworks if it is handled carefully - but sadly 13 year old douchebags throwing them at you doesn't fall in that category.

Here (Austria) the 31.12 is a half work day and most shops are open until 3:00pm.

You're kidding me! Idiots ruin everything. I hate cracker but I love fireworks.

J-Roderton

Just started trying to teach myself German a couple days ago. I haven't been through the thread, but, does anyone know of any good online resources for learning/practicing?

Just started trying to teach myself German a couple days ago. I haven't been through the thread, but, does anyone know of any good online resources for learning/practicing?

How far along are you? Like from scratch where you don't even know verbs and stuff like that or? I mean Deutsche Welle and others have articles and stuff to help learn german and have a vocab list at the end for less used words but if you're completely fresh then that's still way too much for you.

J-Roderton

How far along are you? Like from scratch where you don't even know verbs and stuff like that or? I mean Deutsche Welle and others have articles and stuff to help learn german and have a vocab list at the end for less used words but if you're completely fresh then that's still way too much for you.

I basically know nothing. I've been working on a few basic words, greetings, time of day stuff. Other than that, I haven't been saying much at all.

You're kidding me! Idiots ruin everything. I hate cracker but I love fireworks.

Fireworks will still be available but crackers like the "swiss pirates" won't be unless you have permit. I don't know how it works in Germany but here you could buy those crackers for 1.99€ (100 pieces) if you are 18 and like with alcohol there are always stores bending the rules or older people buying them for younger.

I like the firework but those people throwing crackers into the crowd from behind are really dangerous.

Fritz

Fireworks will still be available but crackers like the "swiss pirates" won't be unless you have permit. I don't know how it works in Germany but here you could buy those crackers for 1.99€ (100 pieces) if you are 18 and like with alcohol there are always stores bending the rules or older people buying them for younger.

I like the firework but those people throwing crackers into the crowd from behind are really dangerous.

Yeah, no objection in this case. Had so many firecrackers thrown at me in my life, don't need it at all. The uncle of a highschool friend of mine did nightshifts on New Years Eve working as a doctor in a hospital. Horror stories every year.

Milchjon

Spent last year's NYE in Berlin, and someone managed to fire a rocket or something similar right into the middle of our group. I still don't know who did it and whether it was done on purpose, but it did nothing to improve my dislike for both the city and private fireworks :-D

I'm trying to learn German on my own, and I'm confused a bit about the dative case. I'm using this website as a guide:
http://german.about.com/library/blcase_dat.htm

Particularly, the example of "Ich danken Ihnen" confuses me, because it seems like Ihnen is the accusative case. What am I not understanding here?

I will probably call upon this thread's help many times in the coming year!

Spent last year's NYE in Berlin, and someone managed to fire a rocket or something similar right into the middle of our group. I still don't know who did it and whether it was done on purpose, but it did nothing to improve my dislike for both the city and private fireworks :-D

dislike for the city? what don't you like about Berlin? I'm leaving to study there for a semester this upcoming friday

I'm trying to learn German on my own, and I'm confused a bit about the dative case. I'm using this website as a guide:
http://german.about.com/library/blcase_dat.htm

Particularly, the example of "Ich danken Ihnen" confuses me, because it seems like Ihnen is the accusative case. What am I not understanding here?

I will probably call upon this thread's help many times in the coming year!

I was going to try to explain it but I feel the website does it more eloquently than I could so I'll copy from them but if you have a question about it still I can try to explain it in another way.

About.com said:
The "dative verbs" category is a rather loose classification because almost any transitive verb can have a dative indirect object. But in general a dative verb is one that normally takes an object in the dative case—usually without any other object. The list below does not include such "normal" verbs, as geben (give) or zeigen (show, indicate), that commonly have both a direct and an indirect object (as in English): Er gibt mir das Buch.—mir is the indirect object (dative) and Buch is the direct object (accusative).

In addition to the single-word English translation, many dative verbs can be translated with a to-phrase: antworten, to give an answer to; danken, to give thanks to; gefallen, to be pleasing to; etc. This favorite grammar trick of many German teachers does not always hold up (as with folgen, to follow). But this "to" aspect does have some basis in the German grammar of some dative verbs, in that they are not actually taking a true direct object. Ich glaube dir nicht. (I don't believe you.) is short for Ich glaube es dir nicht—in which es is the true direct object and dir is a sort of "dative of possession" that could be translated "of you" (i.e., "I don't believe it of you."). However, even if you are one of those rare people who find all this dative grammar fascinating, it is best to simply learn (memorize!) the more common dative verbs. Thus, the chart below, which lists the most common dative verbs—those that you should learn first! On the next page you'll find more dative verbs, some of which are less common but also important to learn after those in this chart.

http://german.about.com/library/verbs/blverb_dativ.htm

I basically know nothing. I've been working on a few basic words, greetings, time of day stuff. Other than that, I haven't been saying much at all.

I think either getting a book or using a site like About.com's german site is a good start. Unless you're getting into really heavy stuff, the biggest thing is to learn how verbs conjugate and find the list of the most common irregular verbs. Because those are the ones that conjugate differently and the rest conjugate the normal way. Other than that just look up vocab lists and start memorizing words (especially the gender, don't skimp on it, it's important) and start branching from there. Once you get the basic words under your belt them you can move to things like this that are shorter articles that Deutsche Welle writes to help people learn german and they're current and can be pretty interesting at times. They're also nice because they bold the less common words they are trying to teach you and then have a word bank at the bottom so you can quickly glance to see what they mean while reading and just help build your vocabulary.

Another important thing is learning the main prepositions: Some prepositions are always dative, and some are always accusative case, and some can be either accusative or dative depending on if there's motion or not. (They're talked about on both the accusative and dative links under "two way propositions towards the bottom)

Once you get the basics though you're pretty free to branch into whatever things interest you to build it further whether watching movies in german, playing video games in german, reading newspapers/websites, etc. The biggest thing is just consuming german media. Don't get discouraged though when you don't understand certain parts, you don't want to go for word for word translations/understanding but rather realizing the summary of the article/media and the main points and from there you work to getting a more natural word for word translation. I still don't understand whole parts in movies/writings but you get better and better the more you consume. Just don't get frustrated when most goes over your head, it happens to all of us but key on what you do know and try to get the general idea that and before you know it you'll be following along a lot better than you thought you could, I know that was true for me at least.

I hope that helped you at least a little bit, if you have any more questions then feel free to ask.

Eh, happend to me in Heidelberg too last year and I feel like it's usually on purpose. Idiots shooting fireworks down the hauptstraße at people seemed pretty common unfortunately. Go alcohol.

wat,
0SwUf.jpg
Much more pics here:
http://www.feuerwerk-forum.de/showthread.php?t=38125&page=14

I didn't spend a cent this year. Feels good to let the stupid ppl. work for you while enjoying the fireworks :D

Milchjon

dislike for the city? what don't you like about Berlin? I'm leaving to study there for a semester this upcoming friday

Well, I dunno. It's dirty, entitled and in love with itself.

But I'm a "Schwabe", so take my opinion with a grain of salt :-D

Most people love it, and it has its awesome sides. It's just not my type. I prefer Hamburg, Munich and several other cities to it.

wat,

Much more pics here:
http://www.feuerwerk-forum.de/showthread.php?t=38125&page=14

I didn't spend a cent this year. Feels good to let the stupid ppl. work for you while enjoying the fireworks :D

I didn't even light a Wunderkerze this year. But I got to enjoy the view of Stuttgart (Which I like even less than Berlin) from above when everyone lit their fireworks. It was awesome.

I wonder wether there will be a followup thread where people post their missing fingers and stuff :p

Unless you're drunk or stupid they're pretty safe. The ones on the floor with wood attacked you're supposed to stick in the ground but the wood is long enough where you can shoot them from your hand. :p The mortars are probably the safest since you light a fuse and it does the rest.

Unless you're drunk or stupid they're pretty safe. The ones on the floor with wood attacked you're supposed to stick in the ground but the wood is long enough where you can shoot them from your hand. :p The mortars are probably the safest since you light a fuse and it does the rest.

well in my experience there are both types en mass on new years eve :p

Ich mag Deutsch lernen!

I've been using duolingo to learn a little german, sometimes I just wanna quit though, this is one diabolical language...

true, but I am sure it will be rewarding once you crack it :)

anyway spent my first night in the Freistaat at my cousins in Rosenheim, will be heading back to Munich for work in the next few days, I am very excited :D

Ich mag Deutsch lernen!

I've been using duolingo to learn a little german, sometimes I just wanna quit though, this is one diabolical language...

I think that's true of any language. It feels extremely daunting but after a while things start to click and it's really not that bad. If you have any questions about something, don't hesitate to ask.

ekim

Sind wir jetzt schon soweit, dass hier nur noch Englisch gesprochen wird? :p

Ich finde es aber erstaunlich, wie viele Leute hier tatsächlich Deutsch lernen möchten. Ich wünsche denjenigen jedenfalls viel Erfolg. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom