• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF spricht Deutsch, zumindest hier drinnen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
wut?

bavaria is just a prussian-occupied territory. they are more austrian than we are. ;)

HEY AUSTRIAAAA

hetalia__prussia_by_p0futc.png

EDIT:

What the heck is a degenhardt?

raindoc

i don't even know where my last name originates from. we could track our family history back to the times where napoleon marched towards vienna and slaughtered most of "us" in northern italy because they were nobelty loyal to the Habsburg monarchy, but there's also hints that the name is actually hungarian... whatever.

something else just struck my mind (again) when i read through the link "Cutes" provided in the "Space became less cool" thread... energy shields. i have no effing idea how such a thing could work, is there any theoretical basis for those? (should i go back to the other thread? it's just as off-topic there as it is here, but this one's kinda used to it and "Cutes" will show up here probably sooner than there?)

something else just struck my mind (again) when i read through the link "Cutes" provided in the "Space became less cool" thread... energy shields. i have no effing idea how such a thing could work, is there any theoretical basis for those?

There is no plausible theoretical basis for SF style shields. Sometimes they're called "force fields", which gives it a tenuous connection to real fields that act on objects, but they all act far too slowly to stop a bullet, or even redirect one around the ship. You cannot "project" a force to a remote location, they are always centered around some local thing creating it - as is the case for a magnet.

Real life sucks.

raindoc

There is no plausible theoretical basis for SF style shields. Sometimes they're called "force fields", which gives it a tenuous connection to real fields that act on objects, but they all act far too slowly to stop a bullet, or even redirect one around the ship. You cannot "project" a force to a remote location, they are always centered around some local thing creating it - as is the case for a magnet.

that's what i thought :(

Real life sucks.

that's what i knew :(

My last name is very rare. The internet isn't sure about its origin. I was surprised that it could very well be from England (first recorded there, it says). My parents would give me funny looks, if I told them that.

Also:

White Pages: Cookie's last name appears in the United States with 6 listings.
Ellis Island: 5 arrivals for [Cookie's last name] immigrants are recorded.

Damn.

Bollocks

Ah that reminds me.

I assume that German-Austrian relations are very good - is there any animosity between the two modern states? Perhaps a little bit of sibling rivalry, similar to what we have with Australia and New Zealand? Do Austrians feel very nationalistic and independent, or would they be content with a union between the DFR and themselves? I understand that it could probably never happen politically because of historical comparisons to WWII, but I just wanted to know how the people in Austria felt.

"I would rather be German"
Said no Austrian ever.

"I would rather be German"
Said no Austrian ever.

Is it not the case that Austrians are Germans, ethnically, linguistically and culturally (please don't kill me)? I don't mean that they don't have their own identity, but that they belong to the same closely related pan-national group. Germany was a union of Germanic states, but Austria did not join originally. Großdeutschland arguments and all that.

My knowledge of German Unification comes from Victoria 2...

raindoc

Yep ;_;

Is it not the case that Austrians are Germans, ethnically, linguistically and culturally (please don't kill me)? I don't mean that they don't have their own identity, but that they belong to the same closely related pan-national group. Germany was a union of Germanic states, but Austria did not join originally. Grossdeutchland arguments and all that.

I'd rather be austrian too. the accent is cute

there's no "austrian accent" and there are no "real germans", just as there's no real "austrian". germany consisted of dozens different small states, originating (not only) from the different germanic tribes. austria is/was part of that "fleckerlteppich" (patch-work).
the cultural differences between someone from bavaria and someone from Hessen, Sachsen, etc are about as strong as those between austrians and germans as a whole and the different austrians counties/states.
for example: i'm from the most western part of austria, Vorarlberg, right at the swiss border. we have an Allemanic heritage, like the "Schwaben" in germany for example, wheras the rest of austria has an Bavarii or Slavic background.

we're all Germanic, but not really german - which is an aritificial construct like the EU.

EDIT: i'm off now. sleep well.

there's no "austrian accent" and there are no "real germans", just as there's no real "austrian". germany consisted of dozens different small states, originating (not only) from the different germanic tribes. austria is/was part of that "fleckerlteppich" (patch-work).
the cultural differences between someone from bavaria and someone from Hessen, Sachsen, etc are about as strong as those between austrians and germans as a whole and the different austrians counties/states.
for example: i'm from the most western part of austria, Vorarlberg, right at the swiss border. we have an Allemanic heritage, like the "Schwaben" in germany for example, wheras the rest of austria has an Bavarii or Slavic background.

we're all Germanic, but not really german - which is an aritificial construct like the EU.

of course there is. half the time I don't even understand people from austria...bam oida fix oida

raindoc

This reminds me, Prince-Elector is a badass title and if the EU federates, office names need to be based off the HRE. Kaiser Merkel!

i had to google this. the german name of the title sucks. "Kurfürst". sound like someone in charge of a spa.
i'd rather go with the english. the only title i'd ever want to hold is KBE/Knight Commander of the British Empire - because nothing sounds more like James Bond than that.

of course there is. half the time I don't even understand people from austria...bam oida fix oida

in austria almost every town has it's own accent ;)

EDIT: and FeedingHand has a point. but goddamnit - we didn't even allow him to study art and the germans make him Chancellor. WTF?
(the bavarians locked him up. just to prove my more austrian-than-austrians point ;) )

raindoc

krocha... blech. may i suggest the "Skispringerlieder" instead?

Christoph & Lollo

more recent, political "kabarett". this song's about our former Minister of Finances, Karl-Heinz Grasser who's been evading jail for years now

EDIT: nothing against joking around, but do we really need pics of Adolf in this thread?

I'm just a really caring person.

i prefer austria. just in case we ever fuck up really seriously again, whoever will be pissed will invade australia. they always get it wrong. there's stealth on earth Mutes!

This is true, although the downside is that you get AUT in the Olympic games, which bothers me for some reason :lol

raindoc

I'm just a really caring person.

This is true, although the downside is that you get AUT in the Olympic games, which bothers me for some reason :lol

it's not like we were going to win anything but skiing competitions anyway. and recently, not even that... so "AUT" is kinda fitting. and beats an alien invasion following the start of our first satellite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom