• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gafia 2.5: The Bachelor Party |Mafia OT| One Last Override

Gorlak

Banned
Everyone let's be more active, k?

Cabot are you forced to write poems? I can't see you doing it just for fun to be honest.

Let's not forget about zipped. His first assumption was that cabot is gambiting. You did fuck all to justify your viewpoint and everyone is just forgetting about it now. Why are you calling it a dead horse at this point? After being called out you immediatly back off of the gambit assumption in your second post. Inconsistency acknowledged.

And are you drunk? What kind of Gods game did you play? I fought bravely to not be lynched and was killed at night 3 and that was while you were still in the game. Strange that you misremember this very recent game.

Gorlak

Banned
I can't get my head around squidyj. Just reread the thread and he claimed to be crimsonfist, claimed to be the cop (just a joke, obviously, haha), called out inactives 4 hours into the game (middle of the night for europe btw), Stanley town question shenanigans
and claims no knowledge about my preference towards castlevania (that's odd) ;p
~ I have no meta knowledge about him, fuck meta. Out of all the cop claim is what's getting on my nerves the most. It's ridiculous, never helps town and you can say it was a joke as often as you want, you can never undo it. People naturally will have doubts about it.

He makes a fair point about Droplet though, with or without the icecream she never came back to offer some insight. Her reasoning being she had nothing to say at that time, which is frankly very disappointing. Yes the game is slow, but if you choose to not write anything you aren't exactly helping.
I don't really care about this anymore than the fact that you seem to keep talking about it after I said it was nothing, but I'm not sure I understand, if you thought I was actually hinting at something with it, why even bother bringing it up? Continually badgering about it seems to only be trying to get me to claim, and from where I'm standing that sounds like a terrible idea for town.
wtf, because you say it was nothing, I should simply believe you? Congrats you must be a great mafia player if you believe everyone is telling the truth, lol.
To be clear: I do not want you to claim. A simple "I will not confirm wether I'm ordinary or not" would've been enough. Don't even start the questioning of why bring up hints, if breadcrumbs can be seen, they already failed. As of now you're very suspect to me and you lean more to being scummy than town.

Next up is crimsonfist and the brigade of "gorlak gonna gorlak" people. I'm very wary of the people giving their opinion this way. Of course a lot of us played gods together, but I want to urge you all to base your opinion on me on actual game behaviour in here. Reduce the meta please.
Crimson seems to believe the ice lady honestly went out to eat some, and gathered some opinions about me only to agree with everyone that I play how I played previously. He's asking some questions and creates discussion, which is good. However that doesn't tell me anything about his alignment, so currently he's a null read.

cabot

Gorlak are you taking the piss. I was never in Gods.

I am posting poems because they make me smile and it fits my role. Was ice cream not enough for you?

Please go after my poems.

Cabot are you forced to write poems? I can't see you doing it just for fun to be honest.

What the hell does this even mean? Am I drunk?

Are you drunk?!

cabot

Still though, I don't know how to respond to your statement on me posting poems. It's character assassination at its finest.

You know nothing about me, slag.

Gorlak

Banned
Still though, I don't know how to respond to your statement on me posting poems. It's character assassination at its finest.

You know nothing about me, slag.

You love the splints, and act very scummy at times.

I'm asking you what the benefit of writing poems is, when it only diverts attention and has no meaning (like you claim)

cabot

It diverts attention because you let it. It's the same idea as Scrafty with her personas.

I'm a man about to get married, I'm getting caught in the romantical whimsy.

I do enjoy you chasing every avenue though.

Gorlak

Banned
It diverts attention because you let it. It's the same idea as Scrafty with her personas.
I'm a man about to get married, I'm getting caught in the romantical whimsy.

l"I post poems, because fun, if you get diverted by it, that's your problem."

I do enjoy you chasing every avenue though.
People brought up easy pickings before. So we all either do the Droplet and don't post because we have "nothing to say" or we try to create discussion? Hard decision.

cabot

It was definitely in my top 5 created discussions.

Right up there with the weather, mouldy cheese, the state of the nation and animal welfare.

cabot

So what do you think of Zipped then?

do you have any sort of read on him?

I noticed he seemed to have ignored my response to his posts. Not that I specifically asked him but when you write about someone it seems only fair to at least acknowledge the response.

Gorlak

Banned
Right up there with the weather, mouldy cheese, the state of the nation and animal welfare.

Animal welfare is extremely important. We all should rethink our values in life. Do we really need to that that 3rd steak for dinner? Shouldn't we try to live moderately and thus decrease our demand for meat? I can only think of advantages of a declining demand for high protein nutrition. We could spare animal lifes, save the rainforest, leave a better world for our children. And on top of that it would generate a healthier society! Live long and prosper.

/eh, anyway I'm going to look at Kawl&Sophia now.

cabot

Sophia is a tough read but she's being productive, and I like to keep productive players early when you're most likely to kill the wrong person. I don't feel scum there.

I feel the same with squidy.

Kawl's a tough one. He seems a bit more upbeat since WWE where he threw in the towel, his dignity and my respect for him. He's probing here and there and offering insights but not enough to read him as solid Town.

cabot

We haven't heard from Stanley today, this is usually the time he posts.

Can I get a top scum / top town from you, buddy.

Gorlak

Banned
Kawl's a tough one. He seems a bit more upbeat since WWE where he threw in the towel, his dignity and my respect for him. He's probing here and there and offering insights but not enough to read him as solid Town.

He voted starsketch for mentioning the crab scale, I expect him to change that or justify it with something more substancial (while typing I realize I have no memory of anything starsketch posted).
The one thing which I noted was his reasoning for PRs to die fightless to prevent more claims. I obviously concur to this view as you could see in my last game, but we also lost that game, so maybe he has a point? It's hard to tell if he really wants to prevent even greater damage for town or simply wants to see those PRs burn.

Yes, he's one of the few active people and I actually enjoy to see some more of him after that castrated LB appearance. Right now I wouldn't vote him.

About zipped:
Yes, I think his immediate assumption and backing off was very suspicious. He didn't do much else. Leaning scum here.

Gorlak

Banned
I can't read Sophia. I still have her gods play in mind and even as a confirmed town she posted really suspicious stuff and had ... uh, "strange" ideas (no offense, that game was hard for town). Will come back to her later.

In case it wasn't clear we shouldn't lynch cabot today. He claimed miller and thus will be heavily scrutinised. Apart from the useless poems he moves the game forward and I don't feel bad intentions from him as of now.

Kawl_USC

Also, just getting into work let me get through morning meetings and jazz and I'll post some actual thoughts beyond snark at Cabot.

Cabot,

I know you were not in gods, when I typed that the gods reference was for Gorlak. I am sorry if you had thought it was for you. What did you want me to respond to and I will reread it and respond. I had thought our conversation about that topic was over.

Gorlak,
Not defending my position on the whole "I wouldn't claim Miller day 1" thing? Please... My opinion of Gorlak going to Gorlak is based on it being day 1. Change my opinion by changing your play style and I'll take it out of the GAFia strat guide. Day 1 for me is all about assumptions, even more than posts. I assume X, or I assume y and based on that vote for scum. The rest of the days we get more information based on flips and votes which helps change my game from a game of assumptions to a game of facts (cold hard facts)

Gorlak

Banned
Gorlak,
Not defending my position on the whole "I wouldn't claim Miller day 1" thing? Please...

What? It's not about what you would do as a miller. It's about you assuming cabot isn't a miller but gambiting town. That was the odd assumption you made in your very first post and seem to ignore here.

cabot

Cabot,

I know you were not in gods, when I typed that the gods reference was for Gorlak. I am sorry if you had thought it was for you. What did you want me to respond to and I will reread it and respond. I had thought our conversation about that topic was over.

This was directed at Gorlak, then I realised my mistake anyway.

I didn't really want you to respond to anything but I had a relatively detailed couple of points and I just found it interesting you had absolutely nothing to add to them.

Alright then..

tumblr_mp04akJlLK1r2ifdho1_500.gif

Kawl_USC

So a couple of things:

Regarding the discussion to try to prevent the claim train at day end. If we have a PRs feet to the fire at the end of the day where they feel the need to claim the unfortunate truth of the matter is that they are pretty much done regardless. Either they claim and if town as a whole finds it believable we move to another target while scum now knows exactly how to circumvent or deal with their power (as most games are designed so that scum has ways of dealing with an out in the open role claim) or town finds the claim lacking and they die.

I could find value in honestly at most, the first likely lynch target to claim if they had a very strong PR at the end of day 1. Maybe scum wouldn't have a role block or a strong man kill (assuming town has a doctor) but the second we flip on to the second target and they also claim we are definitely in negative utility. Anytime you have 2+ or heaven forbid 3+ claims out by the end of day 1 town has essentially shot themselves in the foot. But I get that people want to live and continue to play, so I certainly can't tell people to claim or not to, just wanted to bring it up and make sure people at least consider it.

And Sorians statement that this is a pretty wild game (a spin off of a meta based game) it wouldn't surprise me if were to unfortunately end up with a PR as at least one of our candidates come days end so I think it's worthwhile for all to think about.

Related to that as well, I think even name claiming is a bad idea. We don't know what kinds of mechanics are in this game but several things (hidden partners, specific person killer, executioner, etc) could gain a lot of power just through names. It's dangerous to think just because roles aren't immediately obvious due to people's names that there's no harm in sharing them.

cabot

It's also potentially dangerous for a role that has an ability to perhaps kill another role.

(example here would be a Topo with the aim to kill roy)

Kawl_USC

It's also potentially dangerous for a role that has an ability to perhaps kill another role.

(example here would be a Topo with the aim to kill roy)

Yes that is what I meant by specific person killer. Thank you for rehashing my point.

You goon.

We haven't heard from Stanley today, this is usually the time he posts.

Can I get a top scum / top town from you, buddy.

good idea, although this is still pretty early, so any feelings i have right now have about as much depth as a kiddie pool.

Top Town:
Sophia
Nukedeggs
Crimson fist
nothing substantial, they have just have been making good points and generating some decent discussion.

Top Scum:
StarSketch - because of the deafening silence
Zippedpinhead - weirdness with that Cabot gambit, with nothing after that felt particularly town-like

also, and i dont mean to get too technical, but here is glorious future-land i have posted today, it just wasn't today for you cavemen yet.
so, you know,
suck on that

cabot

Your top town are interesting to me, i'd say they were in the 'most useful posters', along with Gorlak, but I struggle to read strong Town on any of them yet. Crimson and Sophia are more than capable of fooling me.

nukedeggs is just a hard read. I was never quite sure of her in WWE, she was behaving as a good townie should but I never felt like I had a strong read.

Kawl_USC

Your top town are interesting to me, i'd say they were in the 'most useful posters', along with Gorlak, but I struggle to read strong Town on any of them yet. Crimson and Sophia are more than capable of fooling me.

nukedeggs is just a hard read. I was never quite sure of her in WWE, she was behaving as a good townie should but I never felt like I had a strong read.

Sounds like you are unsure of yourself on everyone. Reaaaaal useful position you got there bud.

cabot

This is the group I struggle to have a strong opinion on. Mostly due to inactivity.

3. Droplet [f]
4. Flame_AC [m]
5. flatearthpandas [m]
8. nukedeggs [f]
9. Royal_Flush [m]
13. StarSketch [f]

Some of the answers to my Cabot proposal are amazing. I'm not saying they are wrong, but I'm saying some people should consider not stopping halfway through the thought process... Some of us are more guilty of this than others.

A glaring example would be Zipped: You think Cabot is a Town PR that tried to hide as a Miller. OK, possible. But why would you bring it up publicly? What's the benefit for Town in doing so?

Cabot is by far the most active poster and also one of the more useful ones I'd say. I don't want him lynched yet, because that would slow the game down even more. In fact at this point I'm inclined to believe he actually is a Miller, with or without a PR.

Squidy has been a little more aggressive but he seems awfully focused on knowing what team Stanley is on as opposed to the other people he mentioned. Squidy is there any particular reason for this? The whole "are we on the same team" wording still strikes me as strange wording. It's also possible that this question is meant as a way of asking Stanley what his read on Squidy is, but something about this question and the specificity of it rubs me the wrong way.
I guess he chose Stanley because you can ask this question only to people who haven't heard it yet and could potentially fall for it. oh and btw (@Sophia), "what is your definition of team?" doesn't strike me as particular sarcastic...

That's a weird position, Flame. Can you not think of some other questions to ask that maybe would at least help town then?

Do remember mafia are the ones at an information advantage. Town needs that good good info.
Scum has an advantage on alignment information but not on role information. There are questions that shouldn't be asked and theories that shouldn't be talked about, because they might lead Scum to killing a powerful PR. The best case I found for this was in Danaganrompa, when Pau and Ty4on hid each night phase somewhere and Scum already failed several night kills, presumably trying to target them. I had a theory what was going on at night but I didn't talk about it until I was pretty sure the others have discussed this in public to such great extent that even the dumbest Scum team would have figured it out by then... Because why would I bring it up? It's an interesting topic, but the potential benefit for Scum was much higher than the potential benefit for Town.

So a couple of things:

Regarding the discussion to try to prevent the claim train at day end. If we have a PRs feet to the fire at the end of the day where they feel the need to claim the unfortunate truth of the matter is that they are pretty much done regardless. Either they claim and if town as a whole finds it believable we move to another target while scum now knows exactly how to circumvent or deal with their power (as most games are designed so that scum has ways of dealing with an out in the open role claim) or town finds the claim lacking and they die.

I could find value in honestly at most, the first likely lynch target to claim if they had a very strong PR at the end of day 1. Maybe scum wouldn't have a role block or a strong man kill (assuming town has a doctor) but the second we flip on to the second target and they also claim we are definitely in negative utility. Anytime you have 2+ or heaven forbid 3+ claims out by the end of day 1 town has essentially shot themselves in the foot. But I get that people want to live and continue to play, so I certainly can't tell people to claim or not to, just wanted to bring it up and make sure people at least consider it.

And Sorians statement that this is a pretty wild game (a spin off of a meta based game) it wouldn't surprise me if were to unfortunately end up with a PR as at least one of our candidates come days end so I think it's worthwhile for all to think about.

Related to that as well, I think even name claiming is a bad idea. We don't know what kinds of mechanics are in this game but several things (hidden partners, specific person killer, executioner, etc) could gain a lot of power just through names. It's dangerous to think just because roles aren't immediately obvious due to people's names that there's no harm in sharing them.
Still gotta disagree. Of course we don't want a claim parade, but there is little benefit in PR quietly eating a lynch and saving the scum team the effort of having to NK. Not to mention there are town roles that become much more effective when they can anticipate scum targets. As to keeping quiet to prevent an inordinate amount of claims, scum are going to claim when their backs are to the wall. Legit town pr shouldn't let potentially fake claims prevent them from trying to prevent a town mislynch.

Kawl_USC

Right and I get that Royal. I merely meant okay he's got questions he isn't comfortable asking because he thinks it helps scum more than town. Well how about think up some questions that help town more then. I wasn't prodding him to ask those scum beneficial questions, town be damned.

And scum are lagging behind in role information only in relation the individual who has the role. And in that position they are still on level footing with every other townie in the game. And considering scum always have some roles of their own, I'd say they have the advantage even when it comes to roles in the game in addition to alignments. But that's not really here or there.

Kawl_USC

Still gotta disagree. Of course we don't want a claim parade, but there is little benefit in PR quietly eating a lynch and saving the scum team the effort of having to NK. Not to mention there are town roles that become much more effective when they can anticipate scum targets. As to keeping quiet to prevent an inordinate amount of claims, scum are going to claim when their backs are to the wall. Legit town pr shouldn't let potentially fake claims prevent them from trying to prevent a town mislynch.

2 claims are the maximum that have any sort of benefit to town. And at that point one of the two should probably be voted out on the chance that they are lying. Still leaving one claim to draw scums ire/other PRs to aid if they wish. Going into the night with 2+ claimed PRs alive loses even the benefit of having PRs who are better when knowing scums targets as its a coin flip at that point.

And yes scum will claim with their back against the wall. If we can establish a case where keeping quiet is the better town play, claiming then becomes a scum tell of sorts. Useful information.

I'm sorry, I don't understand the bolded. Scum are going to claim, so Town also should claim so Scum looks more legit in their fakeclaim?

btw, my stance on this: If you feel the need to claim, do it with some time left (or at least announce that you are going to claim), so people don't swing around mindlessly but have some time to consider. The Terrabyte/SeptimusPrime claim in Princess for example was fairly well timed. If you feel you have any chance to convince people otherwise, try that one first. If you feel your PR is not insanely good (like a Doctor or a Mason 1-shot-vig), don't claim. Only in the remaining case you should claim and you should do it with quite some time left on the clock.

cabot

I fully endorse not claiming near deadline. That's happened before, it drove me nuts.

In an ideal scenario which isnt a last minute flip flop of course.

Fair enough, kawl. Not much benefit in 2+. I think two claims left sitting at the end isn't the worst thing though.

I'm sorry, I don't understand the bolded. Scum are going to claim, so Town also should claim so Scum looks more legit in their fakeclaim?
Not what i was going for but I see the point you've both raised as far as this goes. Kind of a wifom though. I'll need to think about this more and come back to it. Still think that it's ultimately worse not to claim if there are 0 or 1 others out.

Kawl_USC

Fair enough, kawl. Not much benefit in 2+. I think two claims left sitting at the end isn't the worst thing though.

Not what i was going for but I see the point you've both raised as far as this goes. Kind of a wifom though. I'll need to think about this more and come back to it. Still think that it's ultimately worse not to claim if there are 0 or 1 others out.

Right, now that we've had this discussion it becomes less actually useful and more wifom, but it is what it is. Was why I was framing it as just having a discussion versus saying town needs to do X.

Kawl_USC

Also going to leave my vote on star for the moment. At least until she posts something worthwhile or someone else is super shady.

Sophia

Good morning everyone, catching up real fast.

I'm glad to see discussion has shifted off the dead horse of yesterday.

On play styles, yeah Gorlak gotta Gorlak. Especially coming off last game where after being lynched I could just watch in horror as he was mislynched. At some point you realize that people like to play these standoffish roles so that they can get a rise out of people. It tends to work (by revealing scum on their death), but often gets a mislynch (because town tends to not like that kind of behavior).

Case in point: squidyj: trying to get some information by quick answers and stand-off-ish posts. Asking questions that most everyone will answer the same way (lie or not), and then complaining about the non-answer. I can see the benefit, as later on we can look back at this and think "maybe squidyj was onto something" or "scum trying to throw shade". Either way it helps get us information.

Day 1 is always a very important day for getting reads. A lot of time people type the wrong thing, or vote weird and it becomes apparent after lynching a scum or two.

Whatever happened to day 1 being a crapshot, mister Zipped? ;p

I can't read Sophia. I still have her gods play in mind and even as a confirmed town she posted really suspicious stuff and had ... uh, "strange" ideas (no offense, that game was hard for town). Will come back to her later.

In case it wasn't clear we shouldn't lynch cabot today. He claimed miller and thus will be heavily scrutinised. Apart from the useless poems he moves the game forward and I don't feel bad intentions from him as of now.

I find that I'm rather good at seeking out key information within people's posts, but rather poor at interpreting or acting on it. And yeah, Gods was a pretty crazy game for town x_X;

I've only played with you once before, and that was when we were both scum, so I've kind of got an idea of what scum cabot is like vs town cabot. Right now, I feel like I'm seeing town cabot.

Actually, the person who's giving me most of a gut reaction right now is Gorlak. It's neither a town nor scum reaction, but for reason after reading his posts during the middle of the night, I feel like I should be paying close attention to him.

*shrugs*

Kawl's focus on this "should power roles claim if they're about to be lynched" topic is interesting. I'd question if he was just doing it to look like he's contributing, but he was posting reads and reactions earlier, so I'm not too bothered by it.

Vote: Squidyj

Squidy has been bothering me quite a bit now. I don't mind fluff and jokes much, but looking through his posts, there's almost nothing else there, with the possible exception of the Stanley comment.

Doing a reads list because why not:

SquidyJ: don't make jokes about having certain roles like that it's really confusing and not helpful to town. Him being aggressive is something I recall being annoyed with him about so I guess that's normal???

Gorlak: I don't remember if I've played with him before, (then again he's in my phone's dictionary so I guess we have) but I don't remember much about his specific style. That said his play isn't looking particularly weird to me? Aside from the poem thing I guess.

Droplet: really quiet, not really doing much. you guys were reading way too hard on the ice cream thing. Reminded me of something that happened in PW involving burgers or something.

Top town:
Sophia (making good discussion so far.)
Kawl (someone brought up his vote on me, I assumed it was a joke since it was super early on. Seems to be making good discussion though. Did a weird thing in regards to Sqidy's 'joke' but maybe he read it for what it was and joked back? Idk )

Top Bottom