• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.
BEYONCÉ is the best selling and best reviewed album coming from the popgirls this year. Some just can't handle.

Let them seethe, I'd say. It's only going to get worse for them
io2OYk1Q8iSxC.gif

Word, the circle jerk arguments of the same old stale tea is ridiculous. First were talking about how others didn't do enough for there albums to now saying they could of done the same thing. Come on son. This type of irrational stuff always happens when Bey is in the conversation. Even when the FACTS still overshadow these ridiculous claims. I'm happy with my favs output.

Majmun

"bu bu but Lady Gaga/Rihanna/Taylor could've done the same"

Then why the hell didn't they do it? What stopped them from releasing an album out of nowhere and shooting 17 video's for a visual album?

Beyoncé works hard. That's the difference compared to the other popgirls. She's definitely the hardest working diva out there. Her drive has put her on a whole different level.

Money and power don't just come swinging at your doorstep. You'll have to work hard for it. That's why Bey is at the top of her game and that's why most other girls look like basic burgerflippers in comparison.

NinjaBoiX

Yay, stan!
Oh yeah, I can stan it up in here without reproach from musoGAF.

I just can't help it, chick be so fly!

DN0vHQi.jpg

I do lurk from time to time, but I have no frame of reference when it comes to the "gossip" stuff, I usually just drive by post if I'm digging some recent pop music. Like Pure Heroine that I've listened to like 10 times in the last three days. She's so good man.

400 Lux, Buzzcut Season, Gore and Glory and White Teeth Teens are particularly good. A World Alone is such a gorgeous closer too, makes me want to reach for play again immediately!

royalan

Word, the circle jerk arguments of the same old stale tea is ridiculous. First were talking about how others didn't do enough for there albums to now saying they could of done the same thing. Come on son. This type of irrational stuff always happens when Bey is in the conversation. Even when the FACTS still overshadow these ridiculous claims. I'm happy with my favs output.

"bu bu but Lady Gaga/Rihanna/Taylor could've done the same"

Then why the hell didn't they do it? What stopped them from releasing an album out of nowhere and shooting 17 video's for a visual album?

Beyoncé works hard. That's the difference compared to the other popgirls. She's definitely the hardest working diva out there. Her drive has put her on a whole different level.

Money and power don't just come swinging at your doorstep. You'll have to work hard for it. That's why Bey is at the top of her game and that's why most other girls look like basic burgerflippers in comparison.

Questions. How do they work?

Y'all literally missed the part where MIMIC rolled up into the thread and asked: "Hey, do you think any other pop act could have done something like this?"

This wasn't unsolicited tea. It's not like people rolled up into the thread looking for an excuse to hate on Beyonce. Somebody asked. The question was answered. And hell, the answer to that question almost has NOTHING to do with Beyonce herself.

Some people don't think Beyonce is the most flawless thing on earth laid on a bed of red beans and rice and spinkled with the dough of cheddar bay biscuits. DMJ is exactly right: the hive is now getting pressed whenever anyone suggests that Beyonce isn't perfect or that anyone else is even good. Get over it.

I gave Beyonce her props. I admitted the album was good. I even credited her with being the only pop star with the balls to do something so disruptive.

But discerning whether or not there are other acts out there with the star power and RECEIPTS to potentially pull off a move equally disruptive, that's another question. And yes, I think there are.

So. PRESSED.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Could Gaga have pulled a Bey? I don't know. I'm erring on the side of probably not, I feel like she's not had a long enough career or a long enough time to install herself as a cultural icon in the same way that Bey has.

I do strongly disagree with the assertion that Gaga BEYONCÉing ARTPOP would have been more successful. The peak of Gaga-as-cultural-icon was around 2009-2011, whereas Bey (somehow) used a flop era to launch herself to a peak of celebrity and cultural relevance that other girls just don't have at the moment. The ARTPOP runup was a mess, but it didn't filter through to mainstream consciousness as much as Beyoncé's (apparently) messy album runup did.

Oh well. All they're doing is setting themselves up to be super duper clocked if Bey ever falters again.

Lordt, talk about the drag writing itself.

The production on Drunk In Love is unreal. It creates such an appealing dark and steamy atmosphere that I can't get enough of. 1:49 to 2:10 is perfection.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The production on Drunk In Love is unreal. It creates such an appealing dark and steamy atmosphere that I can't get enough of. 1:49 to 2:10 is perfection.

As perfect as the whole song is, I think the bit after Jay Z's production is the most perfect. When that swooshy bass synth comes in, for

I'm never tired, never tired
I been sipping that's the only thing
That's been keeping me on fire,
Me on fire,
Didn't mean to spill that liquor all on my attire,
I been drinkin' watermelon,
I want your body right here daddy,
I want you right now,
Can't keep your eyes off my fatty,
Daddy, I want you

That bit is so lush and perfect

Bladenic

But the part right after is :SURFBOARD:

But yes y'all better stan. I think it's my most played song off the album.

Mumei

Could Gaga have pulled a Bey? I don't know. I'm erring on the side of probably not, I feel like she's not had a long enough career or a long enough time to install herself as a cultural icon in the same way that Bey has.

I do strongly disagree with the assertion that Gaga BEYONCÉing ARTPOP would have been more successful. The peak of Gaga-as-cultural-icon was around 2009-2011, whereas Bey (somehow) used a flop era to launch herself to a peak of celebrity and cultural relevance that other girls just don't have at the moment. The ARTPOP runup was a mess, but it didn't filter through to mainstream consciousness as much as Beyoncé's (apparently) messy album runup did.

Well, what do you suppose would have happened if Gaga played it the way Beyoncé had - Super Bowl performance, tour apropos of nothing, a couple tracks released but no major talk, and then album released on iTunes without fanfare.

I don't think Gaga is actually constitutionally capable of shutting up and not promising the sun, the moon, and the stars about an album she's working on, mind you. But if she could, I don't see a reason why she wouldn't similarly take the social media world by storm and have hundreds of thousands of people purchasing the album on day one. I think Beyoncé's accomplishment is less in what she achieved in doing it and more in the feat of doing it at all, if that makes sense. I don't think anyone else has the combination of industry clout and discipline to make a stunt like this happen in the first place.

Majmun

Well, what do you suppose would have happened if Gaga played it the way Beyoncé had - Super Bowl performance, tour apropos of nothing, a couple tracks released but no major talk, and then album released on iTunes without fanfare.

I don't think Gaga is actually constitutionally capable of shutting up and not promising the sun, the moon, and the stars about an album she's working on, mind you. But if she could, I don't see a reason why she wouldn't similarly take the social media world by storm and have hundreds of thousands of people purchasing the album on day one. I think Beyoncé's accomplishment is less in what she achieved in doing it and more in the feat of doing it at all, if that makes sense. I don't think anyone else has the combination of industry clout and discipline to make a stunt like this happen in the first place.

Surprise release is one thing, quality another.

BEYONCE is still selling so well because it's a great album and the word of mouth is extremely positive. So quality is also a reason why it's doing so well.

Gaga could've had great first day sales, but if the album underdelivered or would suck, no one would care about it anymore.

This was a very risky thing for Bey to do. It could've failed.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

I do think that Gaga is the only person who could have potentially pulled it off.

But to say, 'well what if Gaga had done all that stuff as well', you know, spent the whole year doing exactly what Bey did, I think is a much more complicated question to ask, because then you're basically kind of asking, 'if Gaga was in exactly the same position as Beyoncé in terms of her career, cultural penetration, fame, etc.—could she have done a Beyoncé'? At that point the question is so dilute, the answer is 'yes'. But that doesn't strike me as a particularly interesting question. Anybody in the position to do what Bey did would have been in the position to do what Bey did.

Touchdown

Banned
I think Jay-Z had a lot to do with the album not leaking too. I'm sure he helped cover the bases and possibly even paid people to keep quiet about it. His albums rarely leak as well.

royalan

I do think that Gaga is the only person who could have potentially pulled it off.

But to say, 'well what if Gaga had done all that stuff as well', you know, spent the whole year doing exactly what Bey did, I think is a much more complicated question to ask, because then you're basically kind of asking, 'if Gaga was in exactly the same position as Beyoncé in terms of her career, cultural penetration, fame, etc.—could she have done a Beyoncé'? At that point the question is so dilute, the answer is 'yes'. But that doesn't strike me as a particularly interesting question. Anybody in the position to do what Bey did would have been in the position to do what Bey did.

But the thing is I think Gaga is one of the few acts who had the "cultural potential" to do something similar. Very few acts could have dropped an album out of the blue and sold so much, EVEN IF they managed to do everything Bey did.

Gaga had the star power to pull off a similar plot and have it be just as explosive. If Miley/Katy/Selena had tried it? No go.

I mean, the night Beyonce dropped what was pretty much EVERYONE here, at ATRL and at ONTD saying?

"Beyonce just out-Gaga'd Gaga"

"This is exactly what Gaga should have done."

"This is exactly what I THOUGHT Gaga would do. "

The fact that so many people thought "Gaga" in the wake of Beyonce should tell you.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
iNLozMBHKkOnY.png

Yall submited your list and here are the nominees

ixeegJLX8Spmy.gif

iqU4HzKABspaI.png

ARTPOP
Bangerz
BEYONCE
Days Are Gone
Halcyon Days
Matangi
Modern Vampires
Night Time, My Time
Paramore
Prism
Pure Heroine
The 20/20 E Vol. 1
The Electric Lady
Wrapped In Red
Yeezus​

i9MmM2PFJBSHv.png

Applause
Black Skinhead
Clarity
Do What U Want
Falling
Hold On, We're Going Home
Mirrors
Q.U.E.E.N.
Royals
Stay
Story of My Life
Timber
Work Bitch
You're Not The One
Young and Beautiful​

ibpFy3148o9OCJ.gif

Applause
Best Song Ever
Bring the Noize
Dance Apocalyptic
Pour It Up
Q.U.E.E.N
Roar
Rock n Roll
Tropico
Unconditionally
We Cant Stop
Work Bitch
Wrecking Ball
XO
Yung Rapunxel​

Now vote for the winners and see the rest of the nominees here: Survey
yall have a week

iWQCehMgrAhES.gif

Mumei

But the thing is I think Gaga is one of the few acts who had the "cultural potential" to do something similar. Very few acts could have dropped an album out of the blue and sold so much, EVEN IF they managed to do everything Bey did.

Gaga had the star power to pull off a similar plot and have it be just as explosive. If Miley/Katy/Selena had tried it? No go.

I mean, the night Beyonce dropped what was pretty much EVERYONE here, at ATRL and at ONTD saying?

The fact that so many people thought "Gaga" in the wake of Beyonce should tell you.

When people were saying "Beyoncé just out-Gaga'd Gaga," I thought it referred to the fact that her album lived up to the 'artpop' moniker better than Gaga's offering did, and not because of how it was released. Am I misunderstanding you?

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Wrapped in Red for AOTY? Y'all are crazy
And no Britney Jean

royalan

When people were saying "Beyoncé just out-Gaga'd Gaga," I thought it referred to the fact that her album lived up to the 'artpop' moniker better than Gaga's offering did, and not because of how it was released. Am I misunderstanding you?

Both, tbh.

xaosslug

This poses an interesting question: COULD a current artist (man or woman) have pulled this off? And in such a dramatic fashion?

i think something people aren't taking into consideration is the lack of leakage, which I think played a big role. It's many factors. All the music videos + good music + Beyonce's name + no leaks = huge impact + legs.

to be perfectly honest, I think any recognizable artist with decent profile visibility could have done this with similar results.

then there are artists that garner consistently high record sales (Coldplay, Eminem, JayZ, Kanye, etc) that I think if they did something like this the impact would be even bigger.

not to take anything away from Bey, tho. She done good w/ her's.
iUzoWhkjlMXAa.gif

ETA: also, you get everything on Beyoncé for a ridiculously low price. I mean new music + all those music videos for UNDER $20? Dat shit cray. I know people that don't even like Beyonce that bought the album out of sheer curiosity + it was cheap, so why not? LOL

i think something people aren't taking into consideration is the lack of leakage, which I think played a big role. It's many factors. All the music videos + good music + Beyonce's name + no leaks = huge impact + legs.

to be perfectly honest, I think any recognizable artist with decent profile visibility could have done this with similar results.

then there are artists that garner consistently high record sales (Colplay, Eminem, JayZ, Kanye, etc) that I think if they did something like this the impact would be even bigger.

iUzoWhkjlMXAa.gif

I sorta agree.

I could see Gaga, Taylor, Adele, Bieber, (1D if they didn't release yearly already), etc doing really well with the strategy.

I don't think it would work for Katy/Rih.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Most people were thinking that because the image Gaga projects of herself is of being something of a pop auteur, a distruptive influence on the industry, a shocker, etc. and then when it came down to it the most surprising, shocking, creatively daring move of the year was Beyoncé. So that's why I think people were saying Beyoncé out-Gaga'd Gaga, because the most exciting, disruptive, (and creatively mature, once we had a chance to listen to the album) pop music move of the year was by Beyoncé and not the person who's spent the whole year making noise about how she's combining ART and POP.

Basically people were expecting something surprising from Gaga, and we got nothing (except I guess the POP EMERGENCY—although could you imagine if she dropped the album then instead of just Applause? That would have caused some waves, at least). Her bag of tricks seems to be empty. Whacky costumes, weird performances, hyping the album on Twitter...if nothing else she really needed to do something like Beyoncé tbh.

[edit] Oh sorry, if we're talking about whether anyone could do it...yes, of course. Radiohead basically already did.

While technical hiccups are worked out let us take a look at last years post Xmas sales. Hew will benefit most this year?

1. I Knew You Were Trouble. 582,000 +163%
2. Locked Out of Heaven 497,000 +120%
3. Gangnam Style 400,000 +245%
4. Beauty & A Beat 372,000 +212%
5. Diamonds 365,000 +159%
6. Ho Hey 304,000 +104%
7. Thrift Shop 304,000 +116%
8. Die Young 299,000 +228%
9. Scream & Shout 285,000 +99%
10. Home 281,000 +157%

11. One More Night 245,000 +241%
12. We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together 236,000 +366%
13. Girl On Fire 231,000 +172%
14. I Cry 222,000 +175%
15. Cruise 211,000 +181%
16. Don't You Worry Child 210,000 +103%
17. Some Nights 201,000 +193%
18. Try 185,000 +92%
19. A Team 181,000 +197%
20. Hall of Fame 172,000 +190%

21. Swimming Pools (Drank) 161,000 194%
22. Wanted 159,000 +208%
23. Clique 158,000 +194%
24. I'm Different 157,000 +150%
25. As Long As You Love Me 155,000 +302%
26. It's Time 154,000 +114%
27. Little Things 153,000 +189%
28. F**kin' Problems 152,000 +106%
29. Call Me Maybe 149,000 +242%
30. No Worries 142,000 +227%

31. Va Va Voom 142,000 +180%
32. Live While We're Young 141,000 +409%
33. Don't Stop The Party 141,000 +104%
34. Ready or Not 139,000 +286%
35. Whistle 134,000 +344%
36. Let Me Love You (Until You Learn To Love Yourself) 128,000 +198%
37. Better Dig Two 123,000 +110%
38. Catch My Breath 121,000 +76%
39. Payphone 117,000 +347%
40. Bandz A Make Her Dance 114,000 +193%

41. Every Storm (Runs Out of Rain) 112,000 +140%
42. Want U Back 107,000 +537%
43. Daylight 106,000 +141%
44. Too Close 106,000 +236%
45. Little Talks 105,000 +112%
46. Titanium 102,000 +249%
47. Don't Wake Me Up 101,000 +284%
48. Good Time 100,000 +327%

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
yeah, only ROTY, VOTY, and AOTY require a ranking of 1 - 15
the rest just require 5 ratings

I did them all for Worst Song and Album that's not a problem is it? Or should I just reload?

And the two Katy Perry tracks for unreleased song not being Spiritual or Legendary Lovers smh

then there are artists that garner consistently high record sales (Coldplay, Eminem, JayZ, Kanye, etc) that I think if they did something like this the impact would be even bigger.

iUzoWhkjlMXAa.gif

ETA: also, you get everything on Beyoncé for a ridiculously low price. I mean new music + all those music videos for UNDER $20? Dat shit cray. I know people that don't even like Beyonce that bought the album out of sheer curiosity + it was cheap, so why not? LOL

I usually disagree with you but THANK YOU for bringing up one part of the argument.

I was at work so my response is pretty late, but part of the real reason no one could do what Bey did is because of...

Resources.

1st. The amount of effort it took to stop leaks to make it a completely surprised album is something no one in the game has the power to do.

2nd.

Money.

The expenses that it took for this album to be made is probably way over the cap that many artist can not bank on to do something like this. First we are talking about how much labels are willing to spend on an artist to wrap up the entire roadmap. Which obviously no one has the income to do so like Bey. That's not taking into the consideration the amount of time it took. Time take money, and as we all know, there is a designated deadline into which an artist has to complete there work. It all either falls in line with which ever quarter the label is willing to throw their cards on the table. How many labels would drop that much money to buy out iTunes?

3rd.

Freedom.

Something that no one else in the pop world has. We already seen this with Lady Gaga, since we are on her. She wasn't able to pick her own single. It got switched on her and there was a lot of interference with her "vision" that unfortunately cost her exposure. Those limitations are something that you have to work hard to get out of. Something that you kind of have to be "special" to do. At some point, I do hope for a future when artist can be as free as they want with labels at them helm, not visa versa.

4th

Quality.

You can't just drop and album out of no where but expect it to sell well. Your music is nothing if the quality isn't there. Not saying ArtPOP wasn't high quality, because in my opinion, it's on the list of well produced music of the year, but the message for what it was and what it came out was Blurred. On one hand we heard it was going to be the coming of Christ but when it's out in front of us, it's really doesn't show the artist values of what she was grasping at or what she wanted us to connect with. Compared to BEYONCE which is a more dark, personal, narrative album throwing around many different concepts such as empowerment, the power of sex, lost , discrimination, etc. Also by visually showing those messages.

Which concludes...

In a business sense, realistically no one could of did what Bey did. There's a ton of risk that must be taken into account. The argument based on star power is baseless because that is not all it take to pull off something like this. It doesn't matter how famous you are, there are bigger factors such as money, resources, connections, and maybe a little bit of power to pull this off. As you can see, we all know Bey wasn't the first to do this, but she was the first to successfully pull it off.

A close friend said Hilson began complaining of a headache on Thursday night shortly after they finished watching Scandal. " I didn't think anything of it" the friend said "She usually gets headaches after watching things that require you to think. I knew something was wrong when I saw her check her twitter feed and her scalp started to bleed."

The friend said she then went to the bathroom to get a pain killer for Hilson, and when she returned Keri on the floor wigless.

Hospital officials say they are confident Hilson will make a full recovery, just not a comback.

HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom