• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
so has rihanna left the world of excellent club bangerz behind then? is it just mediocre mid tempos and ballads from here on out?

i guess she's given up trying to top loudsus

Mau ®

If Rih still wants to follow her gangsta/ghetto dreams then she best make an album like this:

61d-KTEYEeL.jpg

Still the shit after almost 10 years. bop.

Koodo

Banned
Oh, I need to get into Tasty after Flesh Tone endedt me.

Gaga is the only one left making an album of up-tempos now. Indie Jean, Perra and Rihanus have all gone mid-tempo.

I hope Shakira hops, or rather hops back, on this trend. *.*

DMeisterJ

Banned
Oh, I need to get into Tasty after Flesh Tone endedt me.

Gaga is the only one left making an album of up-tempos now. Indie Jean, Perra and Rihanus have all gone mid-tempo.

I hope Shakira hops, or rather hops back, on this trend. *.*

Rihanna repopularized mid tempos.

"Diamonds", her power 💂

Mau ®

It does feel like there was a big wave of mid-tempos (many of them Sia-assisted) after Diamonds.

But maybe I'm being biased.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Well obviously it's naïve to say that the first example of its type was the most influential or whatever. It's very possible that Diamonds caused the spate of mid-tempos, Rih is pretty much the most influential popstar in the game at the moment, perhaps her showing everyone that an artist who everyone's used to hearing do big bangers could do mid tempos convinced other pop girls.

Mau ®

Gaga's holiday special underwhelms in ratings

Lady Gaga’s holiday special failed to generate much applause. The ARTPOP singer’s Thanksgiving special with The Muppets disappointed in the ratings Thursday night.

ABC’s 90-minute Lady Gaga & The Muppets Holiday Spectacular had only 3.6 million viewers and a 0.9 rating among adults 18-49 at 9:30 p.m. That’s considerable less than ABC’s 8 p.m. annual repeat of a 40-year-old holiday special, A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving (5.3 million, 1.6 in demo).

Perhaps a more telling comparison: Lady Gaga’s previous ABC holiday effort, A Very Gaga Thanksgiving, aired in this same slot two year ago, but had a 78 percent higher rating (5.4 million total viewers, 1.6 rating).

x

Majmun

I've visited my home country Kosovo a few days ago. Based on my observations there, the artist with the biggest impact is definitely....

Rihanna

All girls want to look like her. Even local acts try to mimic her style. It's crazy how people stan for her there. This kinda explains Rihta Ora, I guess. She's also from Kosovo and a watered down Rihanna.

My visit really made me open my eyes. I will never underestimate Rihanna's impact again.

I think her "Venus" getup is my all-time favorite era look of hers. The big hair with the seashells and sunglasses, it's very 70s psychedelia. I wasn't the biggest fan before but I love seeing her swaying on a mic stand with that getup. This era is giving me everything (except good numbers, kii).

Rihta Oral is a tragedy. She's pretty and has a great voice. But her music is rihductive and basic.

She needs to go in her own lane with her own style because trying to be a Rihanna tribute act isn't working.

Yeah, the mid-tempos are the highlights. And the bonus tracks are pretty good, and I can't understand why they weren't on the standard.

Godly Ache is the one dance track on the alberm that I use regularly.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Yasss Lana! I'd be happy with anything from her tbh, given the rumours of her departure from the music scene. I neeeed new stuff from ha

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
ULTRAVIOLENCE is a cool word. I wonder what she might do with the Lana character, maybe she'll use it to pun on ultra-violet and it'll have a dark disco sound? I'd be all over that.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
If Lana went disco I would Just die
iHQ77PqtC7CgP.gif

Trigger

ULTRAVIOLENCE is a cool word. I wonder what she might do with the Lana character, maybe she'll use it to pun on ultra-violet and it'll have a dark disco sound? I'd be all over that.

I was hoping we'd get something more along the lines of Playing Dangerous. Sexy, seductive black widow Lana.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I was hoping we'd get something more along the lines of Playing Dangerous. Sexy, seductive black widow Lana.

I kind of want Lana to mix up her sound a lot more. Make each album an era with a distinctive sound (all centred around the central sort of Lana del Rey aesthetic ofc). I think that carrying on with her current sound for a long time isn't going to work, and realistically i can't see her topping Ride or Born to Die any time soon if she does. Better to try not to compete with yourself in that situation tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom