• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

botty

Banned
If someone ever gets drunk with Roy, make sure to puke on him

ibv4Z96rIfkQBJ.gif

Vitanimus

lol @ the people in the Sexercise thread. I'm amazed that people are "calling out" Kylie for showing some skin and being told to "act her age".

royalan

Surprisingly, my most listened to track on KMO is still "I Was Gonna Cancel".

She should make that a single while Pharell's production (for other people) is still on fire.

Well the ones I already liked were

If Only
Les Sex
Kiss Me Once
Fine

but now you can add Million Miles & Feels So Good to that

Hell yeah! MILL E ON!

Is everyone seeing the slut shaming and misogyny going on in the Sexercize thread? Is that real? I only pay attention to Kylie threads so if that happens all the time that's fucked.

Bladenic

Hell yeah! MILL E ON!

Is everyone seeing the slut shaming and misogyny going on in the Sexercize thread? Is that real? I only pay attention to Kylie threads so if that happens all the time that's fucked.

Madonna gets it a lot. Strangely I don't think I seen J.Lo get anything like that in that thread for her new video.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Surprisingly, my most listened to track on KMO is still "I Was Gonna Cancel".

She should make that a single while Pharell's production (for other people) is still on fire.

As much as a dislike Pharrell I agree. It's one of the catchiest on the album and could be a pretty big hit for her

Patrick is slaying that Kylie thread.

Those music threads always have these dumbass posts saying "THIS IS NOT HIS/HER BEST THING, WHY." Like really bitch? Why do we INSIST on wanting an artist's brand new material to take a proverbial SHITE on everything he/she has done before? Why is that the sole metric for judging a song? If it's not their all-time best (especially for someone like Kylie, who's had a decade-plus' worth of material) then why are we holding it against them?

Saying this song isn't as good as, say, Get You Out Of My Head, doesn't change the fact that GYOMH is still Kylie's song. It's hers, and she fucking made it, and you obviously fucking like it so why do you want everything she does after that to make you think less of that song? Saying "this isn't her best" shouldn't be used as an insult to the artist but as a compliment to the material of hers that you like more. It's as if the further in the past a great song is, the less it belongs to the artist who made it. It's the reason we throw artists into the "legacy" pile so often, and it's because we start to separate say new Paul McCartney songs to his classic material. As if Paul McCartney back in the 60s is a different artist than Paul McCartney in 2013. He's the same bitch, and that attitude is such bullshit.

Bottom line: Comparing new material to an artist's subjective "best" is just really fucking poisonous, and it shows a complete lack of perception towards how artists actually create music and evolve. Kylie doesn't want to make another GYOMH; Beyonce doesn't need to make another Crazy in Love; Britney doesn't need to make another Toxic. Why? Because they're already made you twat. Enjoy them for what they are, and let new sounds in.

Those music threads always have these dumbass posts saying "THIS IS NOT HIS/HER BEST THING, WHY." Like really bitch? Why do we INSIST on wanting an artist's brand new material to take a proverbial SHITE on everything he/she has done before? Why is that the sole metric for judging a song? If it's not their all-time best (especially for someone like Kylie, who's had a decade-plus' worth of material) then why are we holding it against them?

Saying this song isn't as good as, say, Get You Out Of My Head, doesn't change the fact that GYOMH is still Kylie's song. It's hers, and she fucking made it, and you obviously fucking like it so why do you want everything she does after that to make you think less of that song? Saying "this isn't her best" shouldn't be used as an insult to the artist but as a compliment to the material of hers that you like more. It's as if the further in the past a great song is, the less it belongs to the artist who made it. It's the reason we throw artists into the "legacy" pile so often, and it's because we start to separate say new Paul McCartney songs to his classic material. As if Paul McCartney back in the 60s is a different artist than Paul McCartney in 2013. He's the same bitch, and that attitude is such bullshit.

Bottom line: Comparing new material to an artist's subjective "best" is just really fucking poisonous, and it shows a complete lack of perception towards how artists actually create music and evolve. Kylie doesn't want to make another GYOMH; Beyonce doesn't need to make another Crazy in Love; Britney doesn't need to make another Toxic. Why? Because they're already made you twat. Enjoy them for what they are, and let new sounds in.

No.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

These passive aggressive fumes though.

[edit] I might explain later why I disagree with you.

Girl did you really just quote my entire post just to give me lazy shade

It wasn't shade, I was answering your question. For most its not a thing of being as good as, being good at all would suffice. But its all subjective anyway. I'm not a fan of Kylie's music in general so as I see it she's maintained the status quo of shitty music with the occasional gem. I'm a lot more forgiving than most, I LIKED MDNA. :)
the live show helped a lot.
These passive aggressive fumes though.
lol.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
What annoys me the most is the notion that Miley Cyrus invented using her body as an advertising tool and anyone that now dares to show a bit of flesh or do something other than sit on a chair and strum on a guitar is desperate for relevance and a feeble attempt to keep up with the younger girls.
The ignorance is astounding.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Sexercize song is basic but the video shits.

Well to answer this whole thing. People will feel disappointed when they know the artist could produce better quality. It is not necessary because it's just new music afterall look at artist like Beyonce getting praised among others with the new albums. Saying the it isn't better than her old material is a dual edge sword in the point that sure the artist had better music in the past afterall they are saying they had something good before but the insult comes that their actual output isn't up to standards not even to the own artist. It might be poisonous to compare the new material to the old (or classics like some like to call them) but if you continue to produce quality people won't complain as much about it. I won't let the new sounds in if they sound like hot garbage as I'm an individual with different criteria of what good music is compared to you or any other person. I'm not afraid of liking new albums by artists that have a legacy because if they work it and bring it with the quality I'm there for it but if what we get is basic and forgettable I won't give the artist a free pass because they have a legacy.

What annoys me the most is the notion that Miley Cyrus invented using her body as an advertising tool and anyone that now dares to show a bit of flesh or do something other than sit on a chair and strum on a guitar is desperate for relevance and a feeble attempt to keep up with the younger girls.
The ignorance is astounding.

People's perceptions get fucked, and that's all I was saying.

People who think Miley Cyrus invented showing skin are probably the same people who think Lady Gaga invented dressing weird, or Taylor Swift invented accessible country music.

@Rob my point is that a lot of people THINK their metric for new material is "is it good at all" but I'm saying that it's not really the case. We have too much clutter in our heads from expectations and experiences with past material to judge new material in a vacuum. You enjoy MDNA because you're a fan and you're immune to that somewhat, but I assume you've already EXPECTED her new material to never hold a candle to her older stuff so you kept your expectations in check. Which... not sure if that's better or worse. lol

Matt_

Seven more Sexcercise videos to come

The videos come from

Will Davidson
Roman Coppola x Maserati
Mat Maitland x Jean Paul Gaultier
Starsky+Cox
VFiles
Gregoire Alexandre x LeSpecs
Reilly x Dolce & Gabbana
Hattie Stewart.

Kylie going all out

Status