• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
OK, so how do I ensure I have the latest "Radio"? I had to revert back to 4.02 using the Root Toolkit and then flashed to Jelly Bean from there and that looks like it fixed things for me (any issues with that process that I should be aware of)? Only problem is my speeds with 4G seem to be a lot lower and my signal in the middle of NYC is a consistent two bars when it used to be higher after my Verizon 4.04 update

Edit: If I flash this will it cause any issues now that I'm on JellyBean?

http://androidcommunity.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-4-0-4-radios-improve-3g4g-download-20120502/ . Seems to be the radio

malyce

OK, so how do I ensure I have the latest "Radio"? I had to revert back to 4.02 using the Root Toolkit and then flashed to Jelly Bean from there and that looks like it fixed things for me (any issues with that process that I should be aware of)? Only problem is my speeds with 4G seem to be a lot lower and my signal in the middle of NYC is a consistent two bars when it used to be higher after my Verizon 4.04 update

Edit: If I flash this will it cause any issues now that I'm on JellyBean?

http://androidcommunity.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-4-0-4-radios-improve-3g4g-download-20120502/ . Seems to be the radio

Do you know the latest radio number for your phone? If so it's Settings>About Phone>Baseband Version

Edit: you should be fine with the 4.0.4 radio

Side note: I'd suggest you start learning how to do things manually(flashing ROMs/Basebands etc..) and move away from toolkits and the like

Do you know the latest radio number for your phone? If so it's Settings>About Phone>Baseband Version

Edit: you should be fine with the 4.0.4 radio

Side note: I'd suggest you start learning how to do things manually(flashing ROMs/Basebands etc..) and move away from toolkits and the like

That's what I was trying to find out; how to determine what the most recent radio number is. I know how to find my current version, not sure what the up to date one is. I'm on 1515.10 V.EK05 / 1515.EK02

I think now that I've got it unlocked and rooted (first time doing that) I'll be good manually from now on. Made it a lot easier for a first timer to see step by step what the process is, but I think I'm getting comfortable on my own. I decided at midnight yesterday that I'd root my phone and from then on it's been a crash course :p

malyce

That's what I was trying to find out; how to determine what the most recent radio number is. I know how to find my current version, not sure what the up to date one is. I'm on 1515.10 V.EK05 / 1515.EK02

I think now that I've got it unlocked and rooted (first time doing that) I'll be good manually from now on. Made it a lot easier for a first timer to see step by step what the process is, but I think I'm getting comfortable on my own. I decided at midnight yesterday that I'd root my phone and from then on it's been a crash course :p

Seems the latest Radio for your phone is FC04/FC05. All the radios for your phone can be found here. Just copy to storage>reboot to recovery>flash .zip file>reboot. Be careful though.. Under no circumstance should you interrupt a Radio/Baseband flash.

Pachimari

The first thing you should do is unlock your bootloader. ABD would probably confuse you even more so get the toolkit from this thread, install it and follow the instructions to unlock your bootloader and flash a CWM Recovery. Copy the JellyBean .zip file to to phone storage, reboot into recovery, wipe date/cache/dalvik cache, then flash the zip file.
Alright, I'm gonna try now, just woke up.

Seems the latest Radio for your phone is FC04/FC05. All the radios for your phone can be found here. Just copy to storage>reboot to recovery>flash .zip file>reboot. Be careful though.. Under no circumstance should you interrupt a Radio/Baseband flash.

Thanks for the help. All set, no toolkits used :)

Pachimari

The first thing you should do is unlock your bootloader. ABD would probably confuse you even more so get the toolkit from this thread, install it and follow the instructions to unlock your bootloader and flash a CWM Recovery. Copy the JellyBean .zip file to to phone storage, reboot into recovery, wipe date/cache/dalvik cache, then flash the zip file.

Hmm... the Toolkit only works on Windows? I'm sitting with a Mac.

EDIT:
Actually, I'll just do it from the Windows 7 machine then.

malyce

Hmm... the Toolkit only works on Windows? I'm sitting with a Mac.

Looks like you'll have to do it the hard way... You can skip step 2, unless you have important apps that you need backed up. You can also skip steps 5 & 6, since once you get done with step 4 everything else can be done in recovery.

Edit: Well that makes it a lot easier.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I regret nothing about my Note.

How useful is Google Now?

3phemeral

I regret nothing about my Note.

How useful is Google Now?

Depends on where you are and what you're looking for.

So far it hasn't yet pulled up new restaurants for me, but it almost immediately informed me about traffic from home to school, pulled up the map and estimated my travel time. Unfortunately I was taking the bus and Google doesn't support public transit routes here in Michigan. Seems to guess what location is work/home based on your visitation frequency in addition to what the location is categorized as. It assumed that the school I visit daily was actually where I work, but I understand how it can make that mistake as it's mainly a hospital.

I've been using it for search to see how fast I can improve whatever it does behind the scenes, so I inputted my flight for tomorrow and a few others. We'll see if it actually prompts with a card to remind me of when to leave.

It has been pretty good with showing me cards concerning places I've been to with added traffic and travel-time details. Whenever you have multiples of the same type of card, like 3 coffee shops in the same area you normally visit, the cards are stacked and grouped together so you can see the title of each. There's also a convenient Navigate icon at the bottom of the card so you can quickly get turn-by-turn directions.

That's as far as I've been able to get so far, though, unless you have specific questions. Searching via voice is so much faster than typing it's ridiculous. I find myself using that the most, really, other than just also feeding information for testing purposes.

Does all the transportation stuff, searching for local stuff etc. work outside the US? Like in the Nordics? Seeing as Google search is worldwide.

I have no idea. I've read comments that it's a little gimped compared to the US version, but I've never seen in detail by how much.

Pachimari

Does all the transportation stuff, searching for local stuff etc. work outside the US? Like in the Nordics? Seeing as Google search is worldwide.

EDIT: Read the above post, good enough of an answer. :)

Menelaus

Banned
As a side note, IMO there is nothing wrong with the GNex camera...It works great and I get tired of people dogging on it. If people would actually take a moment to focus their shots properly, it probably wouldn't get the bad rap that it does. Is it the best smartphone camera in the world? No, but it gets the job done.

Your opinion is sadly wrong. The G-Nex has one of the worst cameras in any smartphone from the last 2 years. It's really pathetic how they didn't slap the S2's camera in there.

rozay

Banned
Your opinion is sadly wrong. The G-Nex has one of the worst cameras in any smartphone from the last 2 years. It's really pathetic how they didn't slap the S2's camera in there.
the focusing was absolutely fucked (nonexistant is probably the better word) in 4.0.2 and 4.0.3, I don't recall you having your nexus long enough to update to 4.0.4 when they restored the groundbreaking ability to focus the camera when hitting the capture button.

nevertheless it's a cheap unit for a high end phone

gcubed

I'm really hoping that this trial gets the attention it deserves. The fact that actionable linking is a patented feature when it's been employed in mobile devices pre-dating iPhones is ridiculous. And multi source searching? Redonkulous.

i dont know the other 2, but Apple must love getting patents invalidated

JoeFu

Banned
Popping my Galaxy Nexus's cherry, totally loading JB on right now just in case that stupid apple injunction does anything to affect JB.

Maybe Google needs to throw around some more lobbying money. They're always getting screwed with patents and privacy and anti-trust BS while Apple and MS skate by despite them being significantly more anti-consumer.

JoeFu

Banned
12+-+1

:D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Maybe Google needs to throw around some more lobbying money. They're always getting screwed with patents and privacy and anti-trust BS while Apple and MS skate by despite them being significantly more anti-consumer.

They've been throwing around tons of lobbying money for years. They just haven't really capitalized on it yet.

Parfait

I was literally planning to buy a Nexus within the next few weeks. For fuck's sake.

About how long does google have to stop selling it? I don't really want to buy a secondhand one (which will probably soar to like 600+bux)

kehs

Banned
I was literally planning to buy a Nexus within the next few weeks. For fuck's sake.

About how long does google have to stop selling it? I don't really want to buy a secondhand one (which will probably soar to like 600+bux)

The hearing isn't until monday, if the injunction does go through, I assume current orders will still ship. So...order now?

IANAL

Parfait

Do you want a new plan? or upgrade with it?

Because amazon wireless has some good deals on it. I got it for 50 dollars with sprint.

I'm on t-mobile. I have a family contract with 2 other phones. All of our phones are dumbphones and we planned to all upgrade our phones now that we can upgrade theirs (on the 8th we get fully subsidized phones). The other two on the contract are getting galaxy S2s for 50bux each. I wouldn't mind the S3 much if i could get jellybean on it of course, but i don't think that's going to happen soon.

thespot84

so I've had the vicious 4.1 rom installed now for about 9 hours and it is unbelievably good. I know that JB was mostly 'tweaks' to ICS but goddamn they make such a profound difference to usability.

Top Bottom