• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

thespot84

I've ordered a 2300mAh battery for $3.19 :p

For testing; if the problem continues with the new battery, then it's the wake lock. If not, then it's the battery and I still have warranty on the phone, so will get it replaced for free.

Ah. Yeah wasn't thinking about 3rd party batteries. I don't really consider them, honestly.

Emwitus

Hey guys. Is the google play deal still the best deal? I was planning on getting an S3 but the contract threw me for a loop. I refuse to pay 100bucks for my telephone bill. #cheapgaf lol. So peoples is it? Mind you i've still never owned a smartphone, so yeah lol.

At this time yes the gnex is the best off contract phone you can get for its price. But there are rumors the new nexus will come out at $400 so you might want to wait for that. I'm assuming the gnex will drop in price too.

Emwitus

At this time yes the gnex is the best off contract phone you can get for its price. But there are rumors the new nexus will come out at $400 so you might want to wait for that. I'm assuming the gnex will drop in price too.

Thanks bud!! I'll try and sit tight. My fingers are itchy to pull the trigger tho :(

Yeah, I'm in the boat too of being ready to go contract-free. Must wait. Wait for announcement. I'll still probably get the current GNex but I think we'll see a substantial price drop. And who knows, maybe I'll get the successor. This is not the time to pull the trigger.

Dizzan

MINI Member
MASSIVE GRIPE:

When on a call and I receive another call, there are no controls on the screen to end the current call! I can answer the incoming call but it just puts the other call on hold and doesn't give me the option to end the call. Is this just me missing something blatantly obvious or is this a massive oversight by Google??

GatorBait

MASSIVE GRIPE:

When on a call and I receive another call, there are no controls on the screen to end the current call! I can answer the incoming call but it just puts the other call on hold and doesn't give me the option to end the call. Is this just me missing something blatantly obvious or is this a massive oversight by Google??

Yeah, it's weird, and it's been like that in Android for as long as I can remember. As far as I can tell, Google just assumes that the other person will hang up the phone, which ends the call.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Yeah, it's weird, and it's been like that in Android for as long as I can remember. As far as I can tell, Google just assumes that the other person will hang up the phone, which ends the call.

It is so dumb. I posted on the Google+ Page today but I doubt it will be heard.

optimiss

I think I'm gonna get the GN when the price drops and go contract free on T-Mobile. Since my TF201 has taken much of the strain off of my phone, I realized I'm ok not having the cutting edge Nexus model.

That said, how does the GN run Jellybean? Do you think it will be able to handle the next version or two of Android K(eylime Pie), L(iquorice)...?

Futureman

Really? Have you compared it to how 3rd party apps run on other devices? I'm curious if it a GN issue or an Android issue.

wouldn't it really just be an issue if the developer hasn't updated their app for ICS/JB? I haven't run into any issues really, but I guess I'm using Google services/apps about 90% of the time on my phone.

Cudder

Really? Have you compared it to how 3rd party apps run on other devices? I'm curious if it a GN issue or an Android issue.

It's an android issue. Apps do not have to be coded to meet certain requirements unlike iOS. It all depends if the developer actually makes it work well. Case in point, the LivingSocial app.

optimiss

It's an android issue. Apps do not have to be coded to meet certain requirements unlike iOS. It all depends if the developer actually makes it work well. Case in point, the LivingSocial app.

Or the Fresh Direct app. As much as I love their service (I order food from them weekly) the Android app is a direct port of their iOS app, buttons, nav, everything. It force closes constantly and when it is running it does so at a snail's pace.

I don't know how you combat that though. Google can't possibly bug test every app that comes through.

kinggroin

Banned
The main UI and core apps run great, 3rd party apps run like poop though.

There are crappy performing apps true, but it isn't a GN issue. Also, many of the performance problems can be mitigated by enabling forced hardware acceleration for apps and restarting.

Edit: I tried the livingsocial app. What shit.

Cudder

There are crappy performing apps true, but it isn't a GN issue. Also, many of the performance problems can be mitigated by enabling forced hardware acceleration for apps and restarting.

I realize it's an Android issue and not a GN specific issue. And the hardware acceleration option doesn't work for every app. It even breaks some apps when turned on.

iOS ports to Android never run well. It's not android's fault, it's the developer's laziness.

For instance, over here in AU there are certain online banking apps and public transport apps that have been ported to Android from iOS. They haven't been optimised for droid, just a simple copy past port of the ios app and hence they perform miserably.

th3dude

Got a replacement GN from Verizon to address some 4g issues I was having.

Replacement has underlying LCD damage (looks like water damage or something). Another replacement should be here today. Here's hoping...

NH Apache

Banned
Got a replacement GN from Verizon to address some 4g issues I was having.

Replacement has underlying LCD damage (looks like water damage or something). Another replacement should be here today. Here's hoping...

My screen has been cracked for months and I've been putting off getting a replacement for reasons.

Do you guys use screen protectors? What cases do y'all use?

th3dude

My screen has been cracked for months and I've been putting off getting a replacement for reasons.

Do you guys use screen protectors? What cases do y'all use?

Update: My new replacement got here today. Perfect screen and no issues so far :)

As for the case, I was 'naked' before this, but apparently I don't take as good of care of my phone as I thought. I had lots of hairline scratches and bumps and bruises on my original.

I'm putting one of these on it with a screen protector: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0060AHUB6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
So I'm lookin at some after market batteries for my Gnexus - I love it, my girlfriend just got one too and she loves it - but we love it so much we always have them on/running and our batteries can't take that much love.

First we're going to install 'battery saving' apps, see if that helps the drain. But I also want to try out some 3500mah beast, see if it works for me. I'll try it first, and if it's not TOO big and ungainly and not useless, my lady will probably get one too.

Can anyone recommend a particular brand/model, and any that ship to Canada on the cheap?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I'm looking at getting a nexus sometime in the coming month but I'm concerned that it's nearly a year old. Would everyone here still recommend it because I really like the look of it.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
I received the 4.1.2 update last night. To me it feels a tad smoother. The one finger pull down to expand notifications is their. Is there a list indicating on what was improved and what bugs were fixed?

Top Bottom