• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

fse

effzee said:
Might get flamed for this but this is a massive thread and I haven't had time to read through it:

I have the Galaxy1. Just got it last year when it came out but I am having some problems with the software yet was going to wait until 2012 to upgrade to a newer smartphone. Wife just got the new iPhone and now I have the bug to upgrade too.

Is the Nexus the next big evolution in Android and worth it or should I hold out for Galaxy 3 or something that matches the new iPhone 4S? I guess I mean is there something better just down the road or is this phone for now the beast that I should get?

wait for the htc edge tegra 3 :eek:

wiid said:
wait for the htc edge tegra 3 :eek:
The timing for this nexus kinda sucks since tegra 3 phones are around the corner. I wonder if they'll wait all the way until the next nexus phone after the upcoming one to put tegra 3 in a vanilla android phone, or if they'll release a newer version of the galaxy nexus in a few months.

Mafro

I'm glad the carrier situation in the UK isn't as wacky as it is in the US. Sounds like a right pain in the arse over there.

Pctx

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
The timing for this nexus kinda sucks since tegra 3 phones are around the corner. I wonder if they'll wait all the way until the next nexus phone after the upcoming one to put tegra 3 in a vanilla android phone, or if they'll release a newer version of the galaxy nexus in a few months.
Its Android. They most likely have a Tegra 3 Nexus already in production.

JonnyBrad

Mafro said:
I'm glad the carrier situation in the UK isn't as wacky as it is in the US. Sounds like a right pain in the arse over there.

Yeah they just bum us in a different way by not giving us the 32gb!

Mafro

JonnyBrad said:
Yeah they just bum us in a different way by not giving us the 32gb!
Hopefully 16GB won't be a problem for me. I've got a 16GB iPod Nano for my music, plus a Google Music account.

Mafro said:
For some reason Wired UK had a review of what is presumably a non-retail unit the day after it was announced http://www.wired.co.uk/reviews/mobile-phones/2011-10/samsung-galaxy-nexus-mobile-phone-review

That review isn't worth the pixels it's displayed on. If you didn't know for certain that stock android doesn't have a panorama mode or that saving wifi passwords has been standard for a while now then really, if you are a tech writer you should know that shit. No excuses. If you are covering Android you should know what stock android allows inside out. Not listen to commenters who clearly don't know their shit.

SimleuqiR

In what bizzaro world I live in where I can't get the latest Nexus device contract free, but I can get a goddam iPhone??

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/11/apples-us-online-store-begins-selling-unlocked-contract-free-i/

unlocked-iphone-4s.jpg

Pctx said:
Its Android. They most likely have a Tegra 3 Nexus already in production.
I want to believe but haven't all 3 nexus phones been 11-12 months apart? Just seems like weird timing for this one. It will come out, and then vastly superior phones will start coming out a month or two later. Except they won't run vanilla.

Husker86

SimleuqiR said:
In what bizzaro world I live in where I can't get the latest Nexus device contract free, but I can get a goddam iPhone??
Do you mean because it isn't released yet? Of course you will be able to get the Nexus without a contract when it comes out.
Or do you mean unlocked?

kehs

Banned
Husker86 said:
Do you mean because it isn't released yet? Of course you will be able to get the Nexus without a contract when it comes out.
Or do you mean unlocked?
Well, they haven't announce anything about selling it unlocked/contract free in the US yet.

SimleuqiR

Husker86 said:
Or do you mean unlocked?

Like MJ told Paul McCartney, "You keep dreaming!"
And I meant unlocked (GSM Model).

Copernicus said:
Well, they haven't announce anything about selling it unlocked/contract free in the US yet.

Exactly. Pretty much this is Verizon's phone, for God knows how long.

gcubed

i expect something to be announced soon about it, they most likely waited for the RAZR launch before announcing something better

Cipherr

SimleuqiR said:
Like MJ told Paul McCartney, "You keep dreaming!"
And I meant unlocked (GSM Model).

Exactly. Pretty much this is Verizon's phone, for God knows how long.

In that case then

The one where the iPhone released before the Nexus device. One is out, once isnt, we sort of need to wait until we actually get an announcement about unlocked contract free GN's do we not?

SimleuqiR

Cipherr said:
In that case then

The one where the iPhone released before the Nexus device. One is out, once isnt, we sort of need to wait until we actually get an announcement about unlocked contract free GN's do we not?

F-that! I'm a 'merican and I demand satisfaction NOW!!! Dammit!!!

Just frustrated with this whole debacle. Google really sold out and drop the ball on this one.

I think I'm going just get an extended battery for my good old Nexus One, hope for a CM9 ROM, and ride out the storm with my Transformer running ICS.

If we are ever going to see an unlocked GSM model available in the USA it will be no sooner than March 2012.

kehs

Banned
Cipherr said:

That's the thing, they already announced them for Europe, if they had plans to sell them unlocked here, why not do it at the same time? Probably because Verizon moneyhatted them into exclusivity in the states.

=/

SimleuqiR

walbertsmith said:
Pasting this here too from the Android thread:

I don't recall if it's been discussed here yet, but apparently Face Unlock can be fooled by a picture:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwfYS...layer_embedded

The uploader adds in his description that he used his real face to set the lock in the first place, and that video is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GxYQAEJUTQ?t=7m34s

It's not one continuous video, but if we take him at face value, this is rather disappointing.

ಠ_ಠ
I expected this to be case.
Would be better if it was a combination of face and voice recognition.

So much for Nexus phones don't have carrier branding.

Verizon branding on the Galaxy Nexus:

EBC-1F8SBZBSTD_400x400.jpg

Also, insult to injury: Samsung's shop calls the phone the Nexus Prime, its rightful name.

Vyse The Legend said:
Also, insult to injury: Samsung's shop calls the phone the Nexus Prime, its rightful name.

I thought it was a concession to Samsung that the phone be named the Galaxy Nexus (to maintain the 'Galaxy' branding)?

kehs

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:

Haha, oh samsung you!

Paznos

gcubed said:
They can put Verizon penetrates gcubed on it for all I care. Just release it
Seriously just release the damn phone! maybe now that the RAZR is out they'll finally focus on the Nexus and by focus I mean quietly release it on the 17th.

rozay

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:

Wonder if this means different update timeliness than the GSM one.

gcubed

rozay said:
Wonder if this means different update timeliness than the GSM one.
That's pretty much a given. I expect it to be like the xoom though, which is still right away just through Verizon.

kehs

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
Galaxy Nexus was shown on CTV today, which is owned by Bell (lends credibility to the forum posters saying it's coming to Bell in December):

http://mobilesyrup.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/nexus-e1321033669126.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Perfect sub caption.

VPhys

Vyse The Legend said:

Let's hope Verizon doesn't force the default search to be Bing!

Sky Chief

Vyse The Legend said:

Weird, no Google branding?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I wonder what the fuck happened to Google to make them sell out this hard.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Bboy AJ said:
I wonder what the fuck happened to Google to make them sell out this hard.

PAID.gif

(we've been here before Bboy)

lol, this is some cold shit. Verizon is the only carrier to brand a "Google" phone. Then keep everyone in the dark about the release date

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Mentally speaking I've already moved on to the next generation of Android devices. It appears clear that its going to be a bumpy transition over the next year and a half or so. Google is becoming a very different company. The Galaxy Nexus is just a little blip along the path.

kehs

Banned
Yea, I'm not sure how I feel about Google as they transition from Schmidt to Page as CEO. Some of their decisions are worlds apart.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I don't care what logos are on the back of my phone. If you want to nail Verizon for something, do it for the absolutely awful placement of the Verizon logo on the front of the Droid Razr.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I am just still in absolute shock. I thought the device would be announced and I'd have it the next day, ala Nexus One. It's been a month since the announcement and I have no official details about the launch and price. And now I see Verizon branding on that shit? What the fuck.

Apple would never let this happen.

kehs

Banned
XMonkey said:
I don't care what logos are on the back of my phone. If you want to nail Verizon for something, do it for the absolutely awful placement of the Verizon logo on the front of the Droid Razr.

The branding on the phone represents who's in charge of the phone.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, its crazy. I can't believe I'm not typing this on a Galaxy Nexus. If you would have told me that the night of the event I would have laughed in your face.

I'm still reserving a sliver of hope though. It may very well still be a fantastic phone despite the horrifying lead up.

kehs

Banned
Ok, with that out of the way, let’s talk potential price first. You see in the “Prizes” section of the contest rules that we pulled below – that ARV of $500? That’s a number we are finding to be fascinating. Most of the time when companies hold these contests, we get the exact full retail value listed there, so this should get you incredibly excited. Remember the contest for the Bionic that listed $589.99 as the ARV? That is still the actual retail price of that phone to this day. Could Verizon and Google decide to up that to the $649 price that the RAZR, iPhone and Rezound are at when it is finally released? It certainly seems like they will have to, but one can hope we stay that low. And what if Google decides they just want to undercut the heck out of anyone and only offer the phone off-contract at $500? Sign everyone up?

$500 Nexus.....my balls are tingling.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/1...ice-of-500-and-a-release-date-of-november-21/

Top Bottom