• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

kehs

Banned
rozay said:
It must be exciting to show off all the things you can do with your new iPhone 4S on an edge connection.

It's not like the data connection is what's suffocating that phone.

border

rozay said:
It must be exciting to show off all the things you can do with your new iPhone 4S on an edge connection.
I just switched from T-Mobile to AT&T on my iPhone 3G. I honestly don't feel like the internet connection is much faster on 3G. It's still pretty excruciating waiting for pages to load.

One thing I don't get about smartphones is that they all have specs much better than PCs 10 years ago and connections much faster than 10 years ago, but web browsing is far worse than on a PC from 2002.

Blackhead

Redarse
border said:
I just switched from T-Mobile to AT&T on my iPhone 3G. I honestly don't feel like the internet connection is much faster on 3G. It's still pretty excruciating waiting for pages to load.

One thing I don't get about smartphones is that they all have specs much better than PCs 10 years ago and connections much faster than 10 years ago, but web browsing is far worse than on a PC from 2002.
Then:
14x2i6h.jpg

and now:
5n3evo.jpg

72ro5y.jpg

border

I recognize that the web has grown more complex and more dependent on media, but even mobile versions of sites can be a pain. It's honestly like being on a 56K modem again, even though the hardware is supposedly much faster and the connection is much better.

People have said that surfing the web on a PC with a 3G-tethered connection is actually very easy and smooth....so I assume the problem is either the hardware or the mobile browser.

gcubed

border said:
I recognize that the web has grown more complex and more dependent on media, but even mobile versions of sites can be a pain. It's honestly like being on a 56K modem again, even though the hardware is supposedly much faster and the connection is much better.

People have said that surfing the web on a PC with a 3G-tethered connection is actually very easy and smooth....so I assume the problem is either the hardware or the mobile browser.

you are comparing this on an iphone 3G. I've used one recently, you running IOS4? Not sure how you havent snapped it in half

giga

border said:

Have you tried surfing on something released in 2011 like the iPad 2 or 4S? It's pretty quick.

Pein

Banned
Border, you're using a ancient iphone of course things are gonna seem cruddy. I have a pretty quick internet connection but using my netbook from 09 on it is pretty abysmal.you're being limited by hardware not data speed.

zbeeb

Vyse The Legend said:
A picture of the Galaxy Nexus battery (Verizon):

SCH-1515EXT_400x400.jpg

Apparently, 7.77Wh @ 3.7V is a 2100mAh battery.

That's correct.

I wonder if the LTE version gets the bigger battery to maintain comparable battery life to GSM model? Probably taking advantage of the extra thickness.

Angst

border said:

That is basically like having a net connection on your PC that can transmit data faster than your CPU and HDD can handle it.

gcubed

zbeeb said:
That's correct.

I wonder if the LTE version gets the bigger battery to maintain comparable battery life to GSM model? Probably taking advantage of the extra thickness.

yes, the extra thickness is because of the battery.

Cipherr

Vyse The Legend said:
A picture of the Galaxy Nexus battery (Verizon):

SCH-1515EXT_400x400.jpg

Apparently, 7.77Wh @ 3.7V is a 2100mAh battery.

Fantastic news. Hope that AT&T gets one with its own LTE radio also early next year. I am looking for a reason to jump ship from Sprint now.

zbeeb

gcubed said:
yes, the extra thickness is because of the battery.

ahh, I figured it was to fit in the LTE radio and the battery is bigger since they'll have the extra space anyway.

Either way, good news for LTE users.

effzee

Might get flamed for this but this is a massive thread and I haven't had time to read through it:

I have the Galaxy1. Just got it last year when it came out but I am having some problems with the software yet was going to wait until 2012 to upgrade to a newer smartphone. Wife just got the new iPhone and now I have the bug to upgrade too.

Is the Nexus the next big evolution in Android and worth it or should I hold out for Galaxy 3 or something that matches the new iPhone 4S? I guess I mean is there something better just down the road or is this phone for now the beast that I should get?

Sky Chief

effzee said:
Might get flamed for this but this is a massive thread and I haven't had time to read through it:

I have the Galaxy1. Just got it last year when it came out but I am having some problems with the software yet was going to wait until 2012 to upgrade to a newer smartphone. Wife just got the new iPhone and now I have the bug to upgrade too.

Is the Nexus the next big evolution in Android and worth it or should I hold out for Galaxy 3 or something that matches the new iPhone 4S? I guess I mean is there something better just down the road or is this phone for now the beast that I should get?

There is obviously always something better coming out but it will be at least a few months until other really good Ice Cream Sandwich phones come out. Also, with an HD screen, dual core, NFC, and LTE it is not like there is going to be some new tech feature that will make another phone significantly better for some time even though newer phones will be faster/thinner. I say go for it, I have been waiting to upgrade since early summer and I will be getting this phone.

kehs

Banned

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I thought everyone hated AT&T before, when did Verizon become the big bad guy? As a Canadian, I don't have any experience with these two companies.

Paznos

Divvy said:
I thought everyone hated AT&T before, when did Verizon become the big bad guy? As a Canadian, I don't have any experience with these two companies.
People hate AT&T because of their shitty service and people hate Verizon because they are CDMA and too expensive I think.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Jtwo said:
I regret nothing!
:'[
You made a bad choice, IMO. You should have followed my lead by buying an iPhone 4 and using it until the GN arrives.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Did you buy your iPhone4 last year or like a month ago?

SimleuqiR

Divvy said:

I pretty much hate the entire US wireless industry. It is structured to be anti-consumer. Just look at the net neutrality bill they are trying to cram down our throats. And then there is this:

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Study-Verizon-Hasnt-Paid-a-Cent-in-Taxes-in-3-Years-116981

We should be doing what the Europeans are doing.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
SimleuqiR said:
I pretty much hate the entire US wireless industry. It is structured to be anti-consumer. Just look at the net neutrality bill they are trying to cram down our throats. And then there is this:

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Study-Verizon-Hasnt-Paid-a-Cent-in-Taxes-in-3-Years-116981

We should be doing what the Europeans are doing.

We have major telecom monopoly problems up here in Canada as well. They recently tried to pass usage based billing on us, until everyone realized how shitty that deal would have been and everyone got loud and pissed, so now our version off the FCC is reviewing it. I don't really expect promising results. I envy the South Koreans and their god-tier internets.

border

gcubed said:
you are comparing this on an iphone 3G. I've used one recently, you running IOS4? Not sure how you havent snapped it in half
I never upgraded to iOS4 on my 3G. I've actually upgraded to it by accident, then underwent a long and convoluted process to DOWNGRADE back to iOS 3.1.2. I don't know how bad iOS4 actually is on an iPhone 3G, but I'm told it's not fun.

I've played with a friend's Galaxy S2 and thought that the internet was faster, but still really pathetic compared to, say, an actual computer.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
That weird because the web over 3G for me at least is blazing fast.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Jtwo said:
Did you buy your iPhone4 last year or like a month ago?
A month ago for $250 used. I still have my upgrade available and can easily resell the 4 when the time comes. I'm not stuck for two years with the Tock of a Tick Tock phone.

And I'm way more excited about the GN. I want it badly. Though iOS is still really great. Just constraining.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like we have the return of the TIMN branding...
http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/10/2552250/this-is-my-next-galaxy-nexus

>.<

^
Yeah, so far I've really been enjoying the iPhone for the most part. But I'm having a huge problem with maintaining connections. I've already missed one chance to socialize with a special lady
who's just a friend
because Twitter didn't give me a DM until 45 minutes after it was sent. lol.

But such is life. iBooks is incredible. Been reading lots of DeathGate on it. The more I think about it the more I'm glad I'm in the "tock" cycle.. but who knows what the market will be like in 2 years I might hop back to Android. Or WinMo for all I know.

I don't know how ya'll can just change up phones on the fly like that. I like to get one and keep it. I attach a certain amount of personality/sentimentality to my computing devices.

gcubed

Jtwo said:
Looks like we have the return of the TIMN branding...
http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/10/2552250/this-is-my-next-galaxy-nexus

>.<

^
Yeah, so far I've really been enjoying the iPhone for the most part. But I'm having a huge problem with maintaining connections. I've already missed one chance to socialize with a special lady
who's just a friend
because Twitter didn't give me a DM until 45 minutes after it was sent. lol.

But such is life. iBooks is incredible. Been reading lots of DeathGate on it. The more I think about it the more I'm glad I'm in the "tock" cycle.. but who knows what the market will be like in 2 years I might hop back to Android. Or WinMo for all I know.

I don't know how ya'll can just change up phones on the fly like that. I like to get one and keep it. I attach a certain amount of personality/sentimentality to my computing devices.
Ain't no personality on an iphone

Cipherr

Sky Chief said:

Because they are both going LTE, and I just found out that I can take over one of my parents plans, nab a new phone and take their unlimited data (that they do not use, like, at all). Get unlimited data, LTE, for a couple bucks cheaper than Sprint, and Ill have about the same coverage, without all of Sprints fucked up network stress issues.

ATT isnt that bad where I am, faster than Sprint even, and the reception is fine. So once LTE hits for ATT they should have decent enough spectrum for building penetration and the like. Overall the edge Sprint had was unlimited data. If I can get that with ATT then, welp....

Then just seconds later the question of price was brought up and he responded with, “Well, hopefully Verizon will let us know very soon. It’s their phone, they know.” Talk about offloading the pressure onto the other guy.

We currently have a couple of potential dates and prices, but again, nothing is official until Big Red makes it official. So far though, we are assuming it will drop in at $299 on contract and about $649 off. The most recent date we saw was November 21 with “web only” availability.

So we ask too, “When, where and for how much, Verizon?”

And people still fight to the death against, even the notion that these carriers are to blame for a lot of the fuckups going on. Seems like it should be obvious, but whatevs.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I meant like the iPhone is douchey, not Gcubed. Just like it was when I used to have one, I'm embarrassed to pull it out in public. I was sending a picture in a grocery market and totally saw some asshole scowling at me. Maybe I'm just on drugs though.

kehs

Banned
So it's been about a month since the initial big unveiling right?

I know the phone has an nfc battery with 2100mah battery, I just don't know if I can buy it!

Good job Google.

gcubed

Jtwo said:
I meant like the iPhone is douchey, not Gcubed. Just like it was when I used to have one, I'm embarrassed to pull it out in public. I was sending a picture in a grocery market and totally saw some asshole scowling at me. Maybe I'm just on drugs though.
Haha no need to clarify, it could be taken both ways and be accurate

Bboy AJ

Jtwo said:
It was cool when the OG iPhone was out. Now, everyone and their grandmother has an iPhone since all the proles can afford it on contract.

It's no longer douchey.

rozay

Banned
GK86 said:
Google, you are turning me off on the nexus line.
They really don't have a clue on how to properly launch and support their own consumer devices. Was hoping the third time would be the charm, but they're fucking up before the phone is even out.

Galaxy Nexus on Fox Business

In the interview, reporter Liz Claman said that she asked every CEO in the Silicon Valley to show her the smartphone they were using. Some had gotten the Samsung Galaxy Nexus at AllThings Digitial in Asia when it was announced. Samsung Galaxy Nexus owners told her how much they loved it, which inspired her to asks DiCarlo to make a visit to the show.

DiCarlo demoed, face unlock, real-time voice dictation. He dictated an email message, and showed the dictation to the camera.

Looks like the Nexus brand may be getting some press.

Edit 2:Looks like Verizon may have the exclusive for a while.

Edit 3:The real time dictation looks pretty good as well.

Top Bottom