• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Pctx

Banned
Jtwo said:
Mentally speaking I've already moved on to the next generation of Android devices. It appears clear that its going to be a bumpy transition over the next year and a half or so. Google is becoming a very different company. The Galaxy Nexus is just a little blip along the path.
Welcome to the club. Q2 of 2012 is going to be glorious. I feel for the people thinking that this is the god phone that will satisfy their cravings. The only thing good about the Nexus (lets face it) is stock ICS. That's it. Specs wise, there will be phones with tech in them that will spank this thing sideways in a few short months. For me it wasn't worth getting my foaming starting because Google obviously didn't want this to their flagship "consumer" just their flagship "developer" device.

Pctx

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
The real question today is how good the PenTile display will be on the device. Nothing else will matter if the display is shitty.
We will see Super AMOLED HD+ next year of which will be on a Samsung phone. I'm not bothered by the display but I'm curious as to why Samsung and Google went the route they did.

rozay

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
lol sorry but this phone isn't gonna be 500 bucks. Odds of that are slim as fuuuuck.

that's what I was sayin'!
$529 will likely be the retail for the 16GB GSM version if it were to come here.

EDIT:if you were talking about the verizon version, yeah 32GB and LTE will bump it up a lot.

kehs

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
lol sorry but this phone isn't gonna be 500 bucks. Odds of that are slim as fuuuuck.

that's what I was sayin'!

Contest rules don't usually fuck around with that type of stuff.

Right lawyer gaf?

Vyse The Legend said:
I doubt the LTE version will sell for that cheap. Maybe they're giving away the GSM version.

I wish.

Edit: Actually, they are. The contest is open to a ton of countries.

You know what LTE stands for right?

Lie To End-user.

-----------

Asus is already fucking around with Tegra 3 on tablets, there's no way padfone isn't tegra3 based. No way.

Copernicus said:
Contest rules don't usually fuck around with that type of stuff.

Right lawyer gaf?
Don't carriers decide the pricing? I just don't see it considering phones with lesser specs have been more expensive than that. MAYBE they'll be super aggressive with it, but I just don't see it.

Technically though I will definitely be right because I live in Canada :p

kehs

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
Don't carriers decide the pricing? I just don't see it considering phones with lesser specs have been more expensive than that. MAYBE they'll be super aggressive with it, but I just don't see it.

Technically though I will definitely be right because I live in Canada :p

Depends on whether the end up selling the phone directly or not. *crosses fingers*

Canadialand? You could get like 300 bags of milk with that!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Who cares whether the new phones will have Tegra 3. It won't make a difference in the end. I just want my Nexus.

What the hell is up with the Tegra 3 talk?

Yes, there will be better phones coming down the pipeline. Next year this time there will be a new Nexus more than likely. And more than likely as soon as it's announced it's specs will almost immediately be outdated. And so on and so on.

How long is the waiting game going to be? Forever if you keep looking down the pipeline.

rozay

Banned
D'ultimate said:
What the hell is up with the Tegra 3 talk?

Yes, there will be better phones coming down the pipeline. Next year this time there will be a new Nexus more than likely. And more than likely as soon as it's announced it's specs will almost immediately be outdated. And so on and so on.

How long is the waiting game going to be? Forever if you keep looking down the pipeline.
Additionally, it's likely that every SoC (qualcomm included) coming out in next years products will be better than the tegra 3.

nvidia will need to do more than add cores if they want a good product.

Unknown Soldier said:
The easiest thing to do is simply to upgrade your phone every year.

This seems like the most logical conclusion to me.

It may be easier said than done but pick a phone that you think will satisfy you for the next 12 or so months and just go with that one.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Unknown Soldier said:
The easiest thing to do is simply to upgrade your phone every year.
What does it feel like to sleep on a bed full of crisp 100 dollar bills every night? seems like it might not be bad for your back actually.

Jtwo said:
What does it feel like to sleep on a bed full of crisp 100 dollar bills every night? seems like it might not be bad for your back actually.

What are you going to do next year when the IPhone 5 comes out?

Jtwo said:

Considering how much you pay monthly on your phone bill if you have a data plan in the US, the actual cost of the phone is trivial compared to your yearly bill.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
D'ultimate said:
What are you going to do when the IPhone 5 comes out next year?
Watch the press conference indifferently.
Unknown Soldier said:
Considering how much you pay monthly on your phone bill if you have a data plan in the US, the actual cost of the phone is trivial compared to your yearly bill.
I know! It was a joke. I joke a lot.

Cipherr

If you keep good care of your phones, and actually resell them through Craigslist. Itll only cost you like 250 a year give or take 50 bucks on average to buy a new phone every year. Its not terribly expensive, and its something between your upgrade year, and by selling the old phone.

You can do that by backing off of buying so many games brand new day 1 and waiting for the steam sales/price markdowns a few months later.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
This goes against every ounce of the DIY-take-initiative-control-reality perspective I have on life but thats just too much work.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Technosteve said:
The jerk store called, and they are all out of you. Because the store was open and some guys stole everything.
Notification center was the first to go.

Blackhead

Redarse
This thread is depressing.

Cronox said:
After looking around at other phones coming out, I've decided to skip on the Nexus. Google is doing a terrible job rolling the thing out. I am on AT&T and cannot switch, so who knows how long I'd be waiting. And if the phone I'm interested in gets ICS eventually it's not a big deal to me. I'm willing to root my phone for firmware updates and custom stuff.

I wanted a big screen after coming from an iphone, so I looked around and the Galaxy Note will be just the thing. Still pocketable (for me), and a big HD screen, good battery life, better tech and a microSD card slot that accepts 64 gigs. Will be getting the ICS update eventually, and probably coming to AT&T first in the US.

This thread has been a journey of waiting, hoping, wanting, being disappointed, and finally finding salvation with the Galaxy Note after clicking on a link somewhere earlier in this thread. Good luck to those who are willing to switch or already on Verizon. You will at least have your new phone and ICS earlier than me.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like the verge ran a story on the face unlock by photograph thing.

-Pyromaniac- said:
lol if only it were that simple. You have to be the most accurate and the first to answer it.
This one is lasting longer than usual. No one has gotten it yet. It has to do with Semaphore flag signals, but how do you decide which points on the robot to count?? Argh... I've been on this since noon.

EDIT: I guess people did get it. It's Sandwich Islands.

God, I want this so badly, but there's no way I could afford it. Would it be less expensive with a contract(for Verizon)? And how fast do you think it's price will drop?

rozay

Banned
BetterThanNothing said:
God, I want this so badly, but there's no way I could afford it. Would it be less expensive with a contract(for Verizon)? And how fast do you think it's price will drop?
Probably $300 on contract to start, it's verizon lol

If other retailers are able to offer it on contract you might be able to find it lower but there are currently 0 details on it's release plans.

kehs

Banned
Sorry Verizon guys, bloatware confirmed:

http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/galaxy-nexus-discussions/10025-galaxy-nexus-review.html

nz0ep5.jpg

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
You can just uninstall it though, right? They hyped that as a feature.

border

So this thing is really supposed to come out in 4 days -- and nobody actually knows what is going on?

Have all of the big Android phone launches been this messy?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna write a tell-all book about the Galaxy Nexus.

border

rance said:
Haha that Droid Razr launch line is bumming me out more than I expected. I'm embarrassed for them. :(
It's their own fault. Don't throw these launch events if there isn't clear consumer interest (many inquiries from customers and tons of pre-orders).

Or better yet, don't throw these launch events if you aren't selling an Apple product. Has any Droid phone ever had people lining up for it? Let alone a droid phone that sells for $300 and runs an old version of the OS?

I guess maybe they thought that it was 2004 and the RAZR brand still had a lot of appeal.

At this point, is a new iPhone even generating lines and launch frenzy? Between online pre-orders, Apple Stores, Verizon Stores, Sprint stores....it doesn't seem like any particular location would have much of a crowd.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I waited in line for a phone once. Right before the store opened all the employees came out and started to play hype crew. A fat slobbenly guy in an Apple Tshirt was walking down the line and pointed right at me and was like "WE GOT ONE FOR YOU" then later when I purchased it the guy at the counter gave me a VERY sincere "congratulations." I have never waited in line for anything ever again.

Top Bottom