• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

kehs

Banned
SimleuqiR said:
OK, maybe I am...But I doubt that US Cellular will get this phone (6+ Million subscribers) and T-mobile and AT&T will get the shaft.

These are actually the types of phones small carriers prefer, and are easier to supply. They just order them and sell them since Samsung/Google take charge with updates, but they also get less profits from the phones, since they are just acting as a reseller for the phone instead of it being "their" device like the myTouch line for example from T-Mo.

Vyse The Legend said:
A few people on various boards contacted them, and were told that they're not honoring the original price.

Here's one such person: AndroidForums

Did he place his order before the price hike? I place mine back in Oct. I believe.

EDIT: Seems like all the preorders that went through before the price hike are safe according xda-devs

_illmatic_ said:
Did he place his order before the price hike? I place mine back in Oct. I believe.

EDIT: Seems like all the preorders that went through before the price hike are safe according xda-devs

Nope.

From their Twitter:

"Price increase on the #GalaxyNexus If you pre-ordered your order is safe and you will be contacted regarding the price change."

In short, your spot is saved, but you will have to pay more.

Feep

Banned
Sad face. I wanted a phone that looked even slightly different from literally every existing smartphone on the market.

Husker86

Feep said:
So, I remember something about a curved phone.

What happened to that?

It's curved as much as the Nexus S is...meaning not much. Though I've never seen a Nexus S so I'm hoping it at least feels somewhat different.

kehs

Banned
Husker86 said:
It's curved as much as the Nexus S is...meaning not much. Though I've never seen a Nexus S so I'm hoping it at least feels somewhat different.

From what I've seen so far the Nexus S curve is more prominent.

(freep: the screen has a slight curve to it, as does the phone itself)

I still can't believe they pulled that cocktease trailer. =/

Trouble

Banned
So does this web only launch mean I won't be able to get some hands on time at a Verizon store? I really need some hands on before I can decide if I should import an unlocked device.

gcubed

Trouble said:
So does this web only launch mean I won't be able to get some hands on time at a Verizon store? I really need some hands on before I can decide if I should import an unlocked device.
It'll probably be in store after thanksgiving

def sim

Vyse The Legend said:
In other news, if you ordered the Galaxy Nexus from Negri Electronics, you've been bamboozled for another $50.

They jacked up the prices overnight, and they're not honoring the original $680 price tag.

I was about to order later today. God damn what a terrible store, glad I dodged that bullet. I'll wait until all hope is lost for an unlocked GSM version in the US before ordering from handtec.

:/

HawkeyeIC

Not that anyone knows, but does online only mean preorder before and it ships on that Monday? Because I need a phone and will be out of town for Thanksgiving.

gcubed

HawkeyeIC said:
Not that anyone knows, but does online only mean preorder before and it ships on that Monday? Because I need a phone and will be out of town for Thanksgiving.
That's the assumption I'm running under. Have no idea though

kehs

Banned
HawkeyeIC said:

I'm guessing Corporate Verizon stores won't sell it at all in stores, but they will sell it online, and the only place you'll be able to get it physically from is from third party Verizon service resellers like BB/Costco/Target/Mall Kiosks/etc.

Feel free to mock me come the 17th.

gcubed

sneaky77 said:
Any ideas on when pre-orders go up at the Verizon store for the Nexus? or is that another mystical date to be found later?
Everything is a mystery. All of the date assumptions are from leaks, not announcements. I expect something after the razr launches

D'ultimate said:
It also has the 4.65" HD screen, LTE, and is already announced to be receiving ICS. GS2 hasn't been formally announced to be receiving ICS I believe.

The Qualcomm processor is not that inferior. Plus it is clocked higher so it negates some of its inferiority. :)
but it is.

Some comfort for Canadians:

The official Nexus site was finally updated (showed the Nexus S prior to today), and Canada, which was noticeably absent, was also added to the list of countries getting the Galaxy Nexus.

Also, a poster on Phandroid claims it is coming to Bell around Christmas.

I just spoke to my Bell Corporate account rep today and she confirmed to me that Bell will be getting the Galaxy Nexus. She told me that it will be released "around Christmas" and without me asking she also said that it was her belief that it would be an LTE phone, but she wasn't 100% sure on that.

Achtius

Vyse The Legend said:
Some comfort for Canadians:

The official Nexus site was finally updated (showed the Nexus S prior to today), and Canada, which was noticeably absent, was also added to the list of countries getting the Galaxy Nexus.

Also, a poster on Phandroid claims it is coming to Bell around Christmas.

i really hope it's not bell exclusive.

Blackhead

Redarse
Achtius said:
i really hope it's not bell exclusive.
Bell has a CDMA network so it's probably the same deal that Verizon is getting :(. I still can't believe that Google would give a Nexus as an exclusive to one carrier. I can't understand the reasoning at all.

Greyface said:
Bell has a CDMA network so it's probably the same deal that Verizon is getting :(. I still can't believe that Google would give a Nexus as an exclusive to one carrier. I can't understand the reasoning at all.

No, they upgraded their shit a year ago

Cronox

Banned
After looking around at other phones coming out, I've decided to skip on the Nexus. Google is doing a terrible job rolling the thing out. I am on AT&T and cannot switch, so who knows how long I'd be waiting. And if the phone I'm interested in gets ICS eventually it's not a big deal to me. I'm willing to root my phone for firmware updates and custom stuff.

I wanted a big screen after coming from an iphone, so I looked around and the Galaxy Note will be just the thing. Still pocketable (for me), and a big HD screen, good battery life, better tech and a microSD card slot that accepts 64 gigs. Will be getting the ICS update eventually, and probably coming to AT&T first in the US.

This thread has been a journey of waiting, hoping, wanting, being disappointed, and finally finding salvation with the Galaxy Note after clicking on a link somewhere earlier in this thread. Good luck to those who are willing to switch or already on Verizon. You will at least have your new phone and ICS earlier than me.

Greyface said:

Actually, their CDMA network is legacy-only. They use HSPA+ phones now.

zedge

Greyface said:
All their phones are hspa now. They are no longer cdma, only the remaining customers with legacy phones are cdma. Telus, Bell, Rogers are all the same now, their phones are all compatible with one another if unlocked.

Blackhead

Redarse
narcosis219 said:
Vyse The Legend said:
Actually, their CDMA network is legacy-only. They use HSPA+ phones now.
narcosis219 said:
C3hGu.gif
ok guys, I got the message.

Vyse The Legend said:
Galaxy Nexus battery life on LTE-only:

galaxy-nexus-battery-365x650. png

Very impressive. 45% left after 5 hours of heavy usage (“lots of surfing” and brightness at max).

where did you get this info? battery life is the only reason why I didn't make my order yet

EDIT:nevermind, just saw the article

rozay

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
Galaxy Nexus battery life on LTE-only:

http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/galaxy-nexus-battery-365x650.png

Very impressive. 45% left after 5 hours of heavy usage (“lots of surfing” and brightness at max).
If there was a lot of surfing, why isn't the browser in the list?

EDIT:sorry to crash the party, it isn't 5 hours of "heavy usage", the screen was only on for 1 hour and 10 minutes:

original (huge) screenshot: http://a.yfrog.com/img864/7268/mxie.png
HGvmc.jpg

carry on :)

Circle T

rozay said:
If there was a lot of surfing, why isn't the browser in the list?
Yea, I'm a little hesitant to believe that pic in relation to what the post mentions. If I use my Charge heavily for any sizable amount of time, the Display graph will be at about 70-80%. And that is with my phone in its normal ~30% brightness mode. If I crank it up to 100% brightness, the Display usage would jump to about 95%. Plus, the fact that Phone Idle and Cell Standby are 3rd and 4th on the list make me really question it's usage.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the phone will be some huge energy hog. I just don't think it will be the battery-sipping miracle that this post makes it out to be.

*Edit*
rozay said:
EDIT:sorry to crash the party, it isn't 5 hours of "heavy usage", the screen was only on for 1 hour and 10 minutes:

original (huge) screenshot: http://a.yfrog.com/img864/7268/mxie.png
http://i.imgur.com/HGvmc.jpg
carry on :)
Exactly what I was expecting.

rozay

Banned
border said:
T-Mobile actually claims they have over 1 million customers using iPhones.
It must be exciting to show off all the things you can do with your new iPhone 4S on an edge connection.

SimleuqiR

rozay said:
It must be exciting to show off all the things you can do with your new iPhone 4S on an edge connection.
I know 3 people that crawl with their iPhone 4 on T-mobile. So yeah, most people don't care. That's why carries get away with this "4G" crap.

Top Bottom