• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Game File] Microsoft to cut 650 more gaming jobs

You know they dont need 2 marketing departments or two PR departments ????

Fucking hell man

lol this was the excuse that was used last time after the first round of layoffs. They literally said it was for redundant positions. I guess there was more redundancy. Let me guess the next round will also be more redundancy. You ever think maybe MS is just misleading you or do you just blindly agree with whatever PR statement they put out?

Last edited:

Klayzer

lol this was the excuse that was used last time after the first round of layoffs. They literally said it was for redundant positions. I guess there was more redundancy. Let me guess the next round will also be more redundancy. You ever think maybe MS is just misleading you or do you just blindly agree with whatever PR statement they put out?
Not Microsoft. They wouldn't lie or bend the truth to the public.

Zacfoldor

Don't increase efficiency or don't raise prices. Unfortunately you can only pick one(and they will be doing them both anyway).

mdkirby

I’m sure the regulators will be thrilled by the continual demonstration that their fears regarding the acquisition were right all along. There’s no way any future MS acquisition will be smooth sailing.

Zacfoldor

I think in other places they use like "made redundant" or some shit to soften the blow.

In the states we get "terminated."

Reminds me of, "I'm an American, our names don't mean shit."

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I have no idea what you're talking about. This thread is about MS cutting jobs and as quoted in the OP, Spencer related this to their purchase of AB. This has type of thing has been happening forever and is more than likely due to redundancies. Even if I did try to parse together what you are saying, I'm still perplexed, because you could have a bloated team full of white males that look totally alike with some staff not related to the core business (not sure what that means in this context).
Is that 100% DEI?
Yup. Redundancies are facts and the usually course of business is to fire people doing duplicate work.

It’s one thing to fire overlap. It’s another to fire DEI useless people. And so on.

I got fire from a company over 15 years ago due to redundancies. A lot of us in different roles did. And that didn’t even involve a corporate buy out! That was our own company merging two similar kinds of divisions into one! So some people got gassed, while the ones they kept might be doing double the work or a sales guy now has double the product likes to sell!!!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think all the DEI practices are starting to fuck the industry really hard.

In times of plenty companies can tank the damage of hiring less competent people, but when things get dire they can't afford incompetence.

Brady Bunch K GIF

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
At this point Sony should just raise the price of Pro by 10 bucks every time Phil’s team is doing something wonderful with MS Gaming again.

The fact that the marketing people of one of the most valuable publishers are laid off en-masse in favor of Aaron Geenberg and his minions who buried Xbox is the most glaring argument against any sort of market consolidation. And a glowing example of Spencer’s stupidity.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
At this point Sony should just raise the price of Pro by 10 bucks every time Phil’s team is doing something wonderful with MS Gaming again.

The fact that the marketing people of one of the most valuable publishers are laid off en-masse in favor of Aaron Geenberg and his minions who buried Xbox is the most glaring argument against any sort of market consolidation. And a glowing example of Spencer’s stupidity.
It's a club, you see.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

FTC tried to warn you 🤷‍♂️

But you goofball unions fell for microsofts BS and supported the deal.
Been seeing a lot of union buyer's remorse in all facets the past several months/weeks. That's what happens, especially with massive unions, when the workers let corruptible shitbags represent them in talks with very little checks & balances in which these "union leaders" snake oil them like politicians while getting their palms greased by said companies or the like.

Last edited:

sudolicious

Neo Member
I'm not quite sure about why so many people here take offense with this development. I don't care for Spencer, MS or ABK as much as any of you, but they explicitly state that they're only cutting "corporate" jobs. So stuff like Accounting, HR and so on. Of course there would be a large overhead within these roles after an acquisition like that, so this move should come as no surprise? ABK alone has like 10k people working for them, so this isn't even 10% of their workforce (tbf I don't expect this to be the last round of lay offs), which isn't even that high of a number in mergers like these.

tl;dr: Non-Story.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Been seeing a lot of union buyer's remorse in all facets the past several months/weeks. That's what happens, especially with massive unions, when the workers let corruptible shitbags represent them in talks with very little checks & balances in which these "union leaders" snake oil them like politicians while getting their palms greased by said companies or the like.
Union members dont realize that their own bigwig union leaders will be paid more than them. They wont be making CEO fortune 500 kinds of money, but their salary will likely blow past all of the normal folks.

The are similar to real estate agents. They'll do enough to get the job done so they keep getting rehired, but likely wont go the extra mile. You'd think an agent representing a home buyer would do their best to get a good deal because the interests of the client should come first. But the higher the price paid, the more commission they get so it's counter intuitive. Union leaders are paid a salary, so whether the deal struck is good or not makes no difference unless they get booted from the position. And when jobs do get cut, how often is the union leader fired to go along with the normal workers?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Union members dont realize that their own bigwig union leaders will be paid more than them. They wont be making CEO fortune 500 kinds of money, but their salary will likely blow past all of the normal folks.

The are similar to real estate agents. They'll do enough to get the job done so they keep getting rehired, but likely wont go the extra mile. You'd think an agent representing a home buyer would do their best to get a good deal because the interests of the client should come first. But the higher the price paid, the more commission they get so it's counter intuitive. Union leaders are paid a salary, so whether the deal struck is good or not makes no difference unless they get booted from the position. And when jobs do get cut, how often is the union leader fired to go along with the normal workers?
I mean, we try to get the best deal for our clients all the time. There are shady characters out there, yes, but most I've dealt with, try to get the best deal they can for their client. Through seller's concessions, buydowns paying interest rates or closing costs, less than asking price offers, etc.. All things that will impact commission, that commission hit is pennies on the dollar compared to the relationship you create with your clients. Referrals are king in this business.

We are also one of the highest regulated industries, and those who don't practice ethically, don't really last too long starting out. Now commercial, real estate that's a whole different shady beast that is not nearly as regulated. Wild West in comparisons.

But I digress, and get what you are saying.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
acquisitions are always about obtaining the IP not the people. To be fair every one of those companies have many non-critical roles that would be either redundant or not needed. I’m not sure there are many companies that have been acquired, which didn’t come with restructuring. It’s shitty when anybody loses their job, but this is the nature of acquisitions.

I think we all saw this coming, and I think there will be more in the future.

tanners

Neo Member
Barely any old Activision/Blizzard games added to Gamepass since acquisition, mass layoffs, couple underwhelming 1st party releases (Redfall, Starfield), only one big 1st party game coming out in last quarter of 2024 (Indy), and no mention of bringing back any acquired properties (Crash?). MS has been a shitshow for sooooo long now. Basically since the launch of the Xbox One.
Toys for Bobs left the chat

splattered

Saw an article on IGN stating the layoffs are related to some of the mobile game devs like COD Mobile.

NGL i do play warzone mobile on occasion and would hate to see it go but i suppose wouldn't be the end of the world either.

Top Bottom