• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Technically it was Tyrion's plan. He's the one who came up with the whole thing.

All Jon did was volunteer to go with them.

Tyrion, the grand strategist who lost two battles in a row, admitted to Jaime that he never anticipated that he would abandon Casterly Rock, and who formulated what has got to be the single dumbest plan ever put together on this show. But yet after all of that, had the galls to talk about seeing shit from your enemy's perspective so that you could see what their moves were and counter it.

Buddy has been doing lots of this,

full

this season, and nothing to show for it. Him telling Dany not to save them was just, agh. A few episodes ago he told Jon that he believed him. If Jon doesn't come back with a zombie to convince Cersei to agree to a truce, so that Dany could send her armies north, they're all going to die anyways.

Jon and Dany gonna show up to KL like, "Let's join up and be friends." To which Cercei will reply, "Why don't I just kill you all now then I can do whatever I want?"

The plan is bad but the plan working out would be even worse. Cercei would rule over a bucket if that was all that was left of Westeros. She doesn't give a fuck

Jon would be a terrible king anyway. He can swing a sword but he'd be useless at 'the game'.

• He was killed by his brothers in the Night's Watch because he didn't realize how ridiculous his decisions seemed to them.
  • He played right into Ramsay's hands when he dangled Rickon in front of him, despite Sansa telling him that's exactly what he'd do in a previous scene.
  • Threatened Littlefinger just before leaving Winterfell for an indeterminate amount of time.
  • Despite knowing that men turn into Wights if they die beyond the Wall, he decided it would be easier to try and capture one than just have a traitor killed outside the Eastwatch gates. Guess he was keen for a shitty setpiece though.

That's just off the top of my head.
at this point sansa and tyrion seem the best choice for good rulers(tyrion obviously gets minus points for his mistakes)

Jombie

Maisie Williams is usually great, but lord she's awful in this episode. Her scene chewing is reaching Anthony Hopkins Hannibal Lecter levels. Especially in her first scene; I really hope Arya is just playing it up.

Memento

Oh my God, I hate Arya so much.

Sansa was the only sane motherfucker back then when everyone was a stupid little prick and she actually tried to save everybody but she was a motherfucking stupid bitch, but it was true to her character arc, being naive and everything. Now that she has been through some fucked up shit and has had some great character development showing some real personality, motherfucking mutant Arya is demonizing her past.

Also hate how they are trying to make Arya like the biggest badass in Westeros. She can basically kill the Night King alone at this point. Ugh, it is so ridiculous.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Tyrion, the grand strategist who lost two battles in a row, admitted to Jaime that he never anticipated that he would abandon Casterly Rock, and who formulated what has got to be the single dumbest plan ever put together on this show. But yet after all of that, had the galls to talk about seeing shit from your enemy's perspective so that you could see what their moves were and counter it.

full

this season, and nothing to show for it. Him telling Dany not to save them was just, agh. A few episodes ago he told Jon that he believed him. If Jon doesn't come back with a zombie to convince Cersei to agree to a truce, so that Dany could send her armies north, they're all going to die anyways.

This season has not been Tyrion's shining moment. Will need to redeem himself majorly. Possibly in the finale. If not, season 8.

Tbh, not sure what use he has to Dany once the Cersei and Lannister plot is cleaned up. He has no knowledge in how to defeat the Night King. He'd be totally useless in that regard.

KevinRo

Jon Snow is everything. King's Blood, Targaryean lineage and can warg.

Calling it now, Jon takes Beric's soul into a sword and wields it against the White Walkers.

Can't Bran warg into the weak-minded? A zombie dragon doesn't seem that smart imo.

If the wights die when their attendant White Walker dies, that would seem to imply their "minds" (such as they are) are already effectively being "warged" by the White Walkers.

And Bran has had quite a good show of posting up L's when it comes to throwing his brain-self at the Night King.

They literally changed weapons when they wrights came. You weren't watching close enough.

Interesting, ill rewatch those scenes. Figured they would make a bigger deal out of it. Either way it was still a dumb plan and Im dumbfounded all these people went along with it.

Desperate people do desperate things.

The funny thing about all of this is, if they never had gone, the White Walkers likely would have never been able to get past The Wall. They never have in thousands of years, what would have been different?

By going through with this stupid plan, they just gave the Night King a dragon, so he can fly over it, burn it down, whatever.

To quote a line from the movie Troy, the lion found a way to invite the wolves for dinner, so to speak.

Didnt the NK mark Bran or something that nullified the walls magic? Either way they just got even more powerful than they already were.

Didnt the NK mark Bran or something that nullified the walls magic? Either way they just got even more powerful than they already were.

I don't know if that's been explicitly stated, but it's at least somewhat implied by the fact it's a potential method of fucking up, and Bran never misses a trick.

Jombie

Can't Bran warg into the weak-minded? A zombie dragon doesn't seem that smart imo.

It baffling that Bran has been pretty much tossed to the side. He could have helped the group out by warging -- guiding them in the right direction or creating some kind of distraction so that the wights wouldn't corner them and need a deus ex machina. In six episodes, he's spooked LF a bit and had ravens sent.

Sinistral

This season man, I don't know. This episode just caps it all. I'm seeing all the things I've wanted to see all show but ... it's mostly not how I imagined it would be. It's rushed, messy and predictable strings of conveniences and unbelievability.

full

Both Tyrion and Arya have received a downgrade in their smarts, now that the show writers don't have the novels as guides.

Jokes about chains aside, they (director, writers, etc.) chose a boring way to reanimate the dead dragon. It'd be costly to have the dragon fly out of the lake, but it'd be one hell of a final shot.

Night King is able to break his control over some birds. Unless Bran gets considerably stronger, he probably couldn't overpower the NK's control over the wight dragon.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Interesting, ill rewatch those scenes. Figured they would make a bigger deal out of it. Either way it was still a dumb plan and Im dumbfounded all these people went along with it.

Don't think they ever fully explained what that mark did, if anything.

Atomic Odin

Could it be that he has to make a roll against the control strength if he tries to warg into something that is already under another's control? What are the Night King's stats?

Night King is probably using a trainer. Bran just rage quits whenever he enters the lobby

duckroll

This season man, I don't know. This episode just caps it all. I'm seeing all the things I've wanted to see all show but ... it's mostly not how I imagined it would be. It's a rushed, messy string of conveniences and unbelievability.

Yeah this is the huge difference between S6 and S7. Both seasons are filled with fanservice of "dream matches" fans have been waiting for or plot events everyone has been waiting to see resolved. The difference is that S6 has some damn good execution and direction, while S7 has a lot of lame montages and everything skips around to fit into place in lazy and unsatisfying ways. It has a "get on with it" feeling. Hopefully they have the real heavyhitters return for the final season to go out with a bang.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Maybe they are saving all these main characters so they all can take turns stabbing the Night King through the heart Julius Caesar style.

The way Bran is treating his friends and family, I think we need to lower his charisma stat just a tad. :)

He probably shouldn't have 10 Strength, either. I mean, 10 is adult human average, not paraplegic child average. (And I'd really argue the point of 18 Intelligence, but I guess we'll see on that count.)

nubbe

This season man, I don't know. This episode just caps it all. I'm seeing all the things I've wanted to see all show but ... it's mostly not how I imagined it would be. It's rushed, messy and predictable strings of conveniences and unbelievability.

The drama quality is out the window and the show is full of TV hero bullshit
But I expected it since there is no source and tight schedule

Still damn entertaining and enjoyable

RedRum

Banned
He probably shouldn't have 10 Strength, either. I mean, 10 is adult human average, not paraplegic child average. (And I'd really argue the point of 18 Intelligence, but I guess we'll see on that count.)

True! I think his lack of Dexterity sort of evens it out I guess.

Cersei's probably just going to ally with the Night King in grief when she loses her unborn child in some witch's curse/dark prophecy related mishap, or something.

Become the Night Queen.

The whole concept of the 'meet Cersei in Kingslanding and discuss' plot is ridiculous, particularly the idea that Dany would effectively go to Cersei...

Coupled with that, I hope the plot between Sansa and Arya is effectively a roose by Arya to full Littlefinger, because if it is not, it is bad writing.

RedRum

Banned
Cersei's probably just going to ally with the Night King in grief when she loses her unborn child in some witch's curse/dark prophecy related mishap, or something.

Become the Night Queen.

24 hour ban bet says that Jamie is the one that ends everything Cersei.

Timbuktu

Both Tyrion and Arya have received a downgrade in their smarts, now that the show writers don't have the novels as guides.

Indeed, they can only be as smart as the writing. I'm ok with Tyrion making mistakes, but you'd think he would be more self aware. That talk about succession doesn't make sense from his PoV, but obviously they needed to make it very clear this episode that Dany currently can't have children.

I hope they picked up Gendry's hammer.

Top Bottom