• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
So again what's to stop NK flying over the wall now? Will the wall magic hold in that case?

Seeing as the next episode is the final for the season, I'm pretty sure we're gonna be seeing him flying over the Wall. I doubt anything will be stopping him.

Could it be that he has to make a roll against the control strength if he tries to warg into something that is already under another's control? What are the Night King's stats?

Strength: 99
Scowling: 99
Freeze Resistance: 99
Dexterity: 90
Intelligence: 50
Ability to close the gap on a small boat: 0
Fucks given about dragons: 0
HP Unknown

duckroll

24 hour ban bet says that Jamie is the one that ends everything Cersei.

24 hour ban bet is a waste of anyone's time to enforce. Make it 24 months and see if anyone takes you up on it. :)

He's probably riding the dragon now.

Puff the Magic Dragon.

Both Tyrion and Arya have received a downgrade in their smarts, now that the show writers don't have the novels as guides.

What are novels?

orochi91

Seeing as the next episode is the final for the season, I'm pretty sure we're gonna be seeing him flying over the Wall. I doubt anything will be stopping him.
I fully expect him to start blasting portions of the wall down with his undead dragon.

He only needs to break through a section big enough for his soldiers to start marching through.

D:

Actually, that's kind of an interesting question...

Are White Walkers afraid of water?

The Night King didn't pursue Jon's boat. The White Walkers in particular kept their asses waaaaay back from the frozen lake. None of them have really twigged to the idea of just taking a short jaunt onto the ocean to circumvent the wall.

Maybe ice-men don't handle submersion as well as wights?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell

It's either that or melt it down. But the wall is so freaking massive, even dragons pale in comparison to it. It would take ages to melt a wall, even with dragon fire.

We still don't know if the magical barrier is kinda like the goal line in the NFL. An invisible barrier that extends indefinitely

Atomic Odin

Westeros are fucked. Even if its just him alone on the undead dragon, can't see anything that can stop him...yet

Do we know which dragon was it that got wasted? Rhaegal?

Tyrion, the grand strategist who lost two battles in a row, admitted to Jaime that he never anticipated that he would abandon Casterly Rock, and who formulated what has got to be the single dumbest plan ever put together on this show. But yet after all of that, had the galls to talk about seeing shit from your enemy's perspective so that you could see what their moves were and counter it.

Buddy has been doing lots of this,

full

this season, and nothing to show for it. Him telling Dany not to save them was just, agh. A few episodes ago he told Jon that he believed him. If Jon doesn't come back with a zombie to convince Cersei to agree to a truce, so that Dany could send her armies north, they're all going to die anyways.

I understand Tyrion not being as clever with war time strategies as he is with peace time strategies, but at this point even Tyrion should be smart enough to figure out that he should probably leave war advice to Jorah or really anyone else.

Einchy

I fully expect him to start blasting portions of the wall down with his undead dragon.

He only needs to break through a section big enough for his soldiers to start marching through.

D:

What if he just uses its fire breath to cover a large area of water near East Watch!? So many possibilities.

He's gonna do some fucked up shit with poor Viserion.
Do we know which dragon was it that got wasted? Rhaegal?

It was Viserion which I feel confirms Jon will ride Rhaegal at some point.

wandering

Banned
Actually, that's kind of an interesting question...

Are White Walkers afraid of water?

The Night King didn't pursue Jon's boat. The White Walkers in particular kept their asses waaaaay back from the frozen lake. None of them have really twigged to the idea of just taking a short jaunt onto the ocean to circumvent the wall.

Maybe ice-men don't handle submersion as well as wights?

Well in this episode we saw wights emerging from the water to grab Tormund, plus they somehow had to attach chains to Viserion.

But undead being put off by bodies of water is a trope that's been used before

RedRum

Banned
24 hour ban bet is a waste of anyone's time to enforce. Make it 24 months and see if anyone takes you up on it. :)

24 month ban is an eternity. I wouldn't survive being away from NHL-GAF for two seasons. My people need me.

Is it still a fire breathing dragon or is it now an ice breathing dragon?

Wouldn't it be amazing if it were both?? Still, there's still two good guy dragons and that was only one.

Well in this episode we saw wights emerging from the water to grab Tormund, plus they somehow had to attach chains to Viserion.

But undead being put off by bodies of water is a trope that's been used before

Yeah, I mean the White Walkers, not the Wights. The Wights are presumably okay with water aside from probably not being able to swim anymore unless they're very well-preserved.

The actual Walkers, though, seem to put on their bitch-pants whenever they get near a body of water. Even once the Wights were charging and the Dragons were raining down fire, they weren't very willing to advance toward the lake.

Fuck.. is Jon The Snowman the fuckin man or what?! Everytime Jon sees that Night king he gives that old fuck that look 👀 like he wants to square up.

barit

Damn we're going full Hollywood now. It was so clear what would happen but to see it all that fast geez. The Arya/ Sansa arc felt forced and out of place imo. Still some nice story progression with the NK and something to think about how the books could handle it. Now on to the final!
Wall is going down thanks to the spacy icefire dragon

KHlover

Banned
It's either that or melt it down. But the wall is so freaking massive, even dragons pale in comparison to it. It would take ages to melt a wall, even with dragon fire.

We still don't know if the magical barrier is kinda like the goal line in the NFL. An invisible barrier that extends indefinitely
Dragonfire is wayyyy more potent than regular fire though. Turns humans to ash in one second flat without any bones remaining. Modern cremation ovens take an hour per 50kg of body weight (according to Wikipedia), so that should give you a rough idea about dragonfire. If that dragon can still breathe fire the wall is fucked lol.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Really hated the drama between Arya and Sansa, makes no sense. Seems ridiculous that Arya wouldn't understand Sansa's predicament at the time. Hopefully they are playing LF.

televator

Would a dead dragon still have fire?

Yeah there's some logistical issues here. I think magically the night king could give it the ability to create ice breath instead of fire. But what about healing itself? Say you injured its wings, could it heal itself in time and fly again?

Maybe reanimating a dragon which is basically an embodiment of magic is different from reanimating a human.

I want to say the dragon would have ice instead of fire because of the diametric opposition of the Lord of Light to the Night King, but that's pure speculation on my part.

I feel like fire is just something that's effectively unknowable/inaccessible to the White Walkers on every level, though.

duckroll

Yeah there's some logistical issues here. I think magically the night king could give it the ability to create ice breath instead of fire. But what about healing itself? Say you injured its wings, could it heal itself in time and fly again?

Maybe reanimating a dragon which is basically an embodiment of magic is different from reanimating a human.

I'm not really seeing the weird logistical issue here. Does a zombie bear still do bear stuff? Yes. Does a zombie person still move around, use weapons, and wear armor? Seems so. Does a zombie mammoth still carry soldiers? Yes. Does a zombie giant still have giant strength? Yah. Does a zombie Hodor still hold the door? TBD.

A zombie dragon probably still flies and breaths flames. I'm don't think the zombie master having ice affinity changes that.

Some parts of episode were amazing, like dragons scenes and parts with Tormund. But Arya was really disgusting in this episode. She's one of my favorite characters, but she was completely different in this episode. Maybe it's all a plan?

Einchy

Man, I wish I could be in GRRM's head while he watches this season. Is he pissed 'cus he thinks it's shit? Does he like that it's cool? Is it being good kinda bad for him 'cus he doesn't wanna copy the show if he hadn't thought of doing something they thought up? GRRM is too much if a class act to ever speak ill of what D&D are doing but I would love to know his true opinions.

TheYanger

wow dragons that get raised by the lich king turn into frost breathing beings!

Not sure that's relevant, but the visual language of the blue eyes is what makes it seem natural I think, even though just remaining the same other than being blue eyed makes hte most sense.

I want to say the dragon would have ice instead of fire because of the diametric opposition of the Lord of Light to the Night King, but that's pure speculation on my part.

I feel like fire is just something that's effectively unknowable/inaccessible to the White Walkers on every level, though.

That's the thing though. Being turned doesn't mess with your biology. Your heart doesn't start beating again from being reanimated. So if we assume dead dragon = biological fire is extinguished then being reanimated doesn't mean it will breathe fire or even ice for that matter. Unless NK used a special revival magic that wasn't used on the wights.

duckroll

That's the thing though. Being turned doesn't mess with your biology. Your heart doesn't start beating again from being reanimated. So if we assume dead dragon = biological fire is extinguished then being reanimated doesn't mean it will breathe fire or even ice for that matter. Unless NK used a special revival magic that wasn't used on the wights.

I dunno about that. I mean maybe the heart doesn't beat, but there's something else powering the body. They can clearly hear, see, and smell. So the senses are working. If there's an alternative energy source within the body that replaces the heart pumping blood throughout the body, then the same thing could power the fire breathing powers.

Oh, I could certainly see it not breathing anything, anymore. That would be the most "logical" conclusion, certainly, if you're assuming that dragons have to biologically produce some sort of chemical that allows them to generate fire.

Ice rather than fire is less a real-world logic conclusion and more of a "Westeros" logic conclusion, wherein fire is enormously associated with the Lord of Light, to the point of effectively being a religious accoutrement: people stare into the flames to see prophecies, they immolate victims to sacrifice them to the Lord of Light, the priests of the Lord of Light create fire from nothing thanks to his blessing, etc.

The opposite seems to be true for the Night King and the White Walkers: ice isn't simply something they have or do, it seems to be fundamental to their "religion".

I understand Tyrion not being as clever with war time strategies as he is with peace time strategies, but at this point even Tyrion should be smart enough to figure out that he should probably leave war advice to Jorah or really anyone else.

What I didn't like is how the rich and powerful Lannister could leave their province to be taken because it seems their famous gold mines were depleted... and no one knew? Or it were they depleted just before the invasion?

Tyrion failed because Lannister had super convenient help of the writers in that regard. Same with the Tyrell. Even if they weren't the best fighter, the should have hold the fort for more than a day, you know.
The normal thing would have been for the Lannister to establish siege to their castles and forts. And the Tyrell are famous for their food reserves, they would have hold for a pair of years. Even being not very good solidiers, the defenders have a great advantage in the assault of a castle, they just have to hold positions.

ButForget about writing, look, cool CG dragons flying!

bratpack

when I think of the start of the season and the end it's amazing how so much has happened and setted up nicely ready for the final 7 episodes what a ride loved every minute of it

televator

I'm not really seeing the weird logistical issue here. Does a zombie bear still do bear stuff? Yes. Does a zombie person still move around, use weapons, and wear armor? Seems so. Does a zombie mammoth still carry soldiers? Yes. Does a zombie giant still have giant strength? Yah. Does a zombie Hodor still hold the door? TBD.

A zombie dragon probably still flies and breaths flames. I'm don't think the zombie master having ice affinity changes that.

I think it could be and probably should be different for a dragon. Otherwise the prospect of the night king having a dragon is a bit diminished if its just another walking corpse like the other wights. Poke holes in/break its wings and it is at a severe permanent disadvantage when facing the other dragons. For that matter it stopped growing and the other 2 dragons will just overpower it in size much more significantly. I mean, I imagine the night king did something special to create the other bearded walkers who are clearly different from the zombies. Perhaps he has more of that in store for a dragon? He is basically mixing magics no matter what there and that already makes it different from everything else in his army.

Timbuktu

The White Walkerd themselves seem quite fragile. The group would have done a lot better if they remembered to take some archers with dragon glass tipped arrows with them.

Top Bottom