• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

kc44135

So, is it safe to say that "Beyond the Wall" was one of the most polarizing episodes of the series? That certainly seems to be the case, looking at this thread, and various other forums and reviews. Lots of strong reactions to it, both good and bad.

The director for the finale's the same guy who directed Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.
I'm shook.

Yikes, that's... not good.

Window

At least Bran being the Knight King theory is stupid enough for me to not worry about it being a 'legitimate prediction'.

So, is it safe to say that "Beyond the Wall" was one of the most polarizing episodes of the series? That certainly seems to be the case, looking at this thread, and various other forums and reviews. Lots of strong reactions to it, both good and bad.

It's polarising for sure. I liked some of it, hated some and loved a bit of it.
Honestly, this episode was all over the place.

Grinchy

Banned
I still don't understand why they didn't make a few dragonglass weapons before heading out. They had already started mining it. Such a small group went that each one of them could have had their own weapon.

duckroll

Jamie killing Cersei is obvious? I can see some argument being made for the undead dragon (though I still find it hard to fathom just the volume of people behind the idea and again the certainty behind these predictions) but the Jamie thing does not make sense at all unless.

It makes a lot of sense. Jaime is a kingslayer and he killed one mad king. He is in an incestuous relationship that tarnishes his honor. All he has ever wanted in life is to do the right thing, but he can't stop fucking his sister and everyone knows him as the Kingsguard who both his oath for the right thing. The logical conclusion for such a character if his sister becomes the mad queen is to make him have to kill her. It's a tragic outcome that redeems the character morally while taking away the only thing left that means anything to him.

I still don't understand why they didn't make a few dragonglass weapons before heading out. They had already started mining it. Such a small group went that each one of them could have had their own weapon.

Apparently they have Dragonglass daggers, Jorah and the Hound had daggers that look exactly like it.
Should have been covered though.

At least Bran being the Knight King theory is stupid enough for me to not worry about it being a 'legitimate prediction'.

At this point it makes me worried that it is from that HBO leak. The Ice Dragon theory proved to be correct and I can't feel like I was spoiled before it happened.

Elandyll

Banned
Let's do the math.

Given the wall is 100 leagues long (source Sam, who knows his shit) this puts Dragonstone around 1800 miles away from where they journeyed beyond the wall.

How long did it take Gendry to run back to the castle? Well it was uneven terrain, he would never have done any running in his life and he would be completely unused to the snow. The camera shots do give us clues, as he is shown to be running over several mountain ranges.

Lets give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he can run at 20mph which would make him competitive with the best marathon runners today. He leaves early in the morning and gets back to the castle at night. Assuming it was the same day Gendry ran around 190 miles.

Now, a raven can fly around 50mph, 60 if they are a racing raven who can fly at their max speed for very short distances. Let's assume these are some really buff ravens who can fly fast all day, because no doubt Ravens were kept fitter back then.

To fly to Dragonstone would take 30 hours. Add another hour to scribe the letter because those little bits of paper would be really fiddly to write on.

Ravens would not go straight to Dany, so assume another hour or so before the Raven gets to her, she gets dressed and probably has a good meal before setting off. She would also need to walk to her dragon which based on them being on a distant cliff would take another hour or two to reach.

Now how fast does a dragon fly? This is tough to measure as accurately as the previous figures because a) dragons don't exist and b) the dragons are different sizes and we can't be sure which dragon she rode on. We can speculate that a dragon could fly around 200 mph based on their wingspan, which is also made up. This gives us about a 10 hour flight time, assuming Dany had to stop somewhere around the Dreadfort because riding a dragon must be a real pain in the ass without a saddle and some sort of gloves to keep her hands warm while flying at 200mph.

So overall? The team sitting on the middle of an ice lake were probably there, in the best case, for about 50 hours or the better part of a week. This seems fine.
50h = "the best part of a week"?
It's basically 2 days, enough time for the ice to freeze again. But yes, a quick montage, and a small fire made with a few meager branches scavenged here and there, as well as a few fades to reinforce the point, would have gone a long way in establishing that the wait was more than overnight hours.

PS: people bitching about the Dragon dying.
You do realize that it was unavoidable, given that otherwise Dany would just go "Hold my beer Jon, brb" and wipe out the entire undead army, before coming back and say "So, can we get back on track with the whole Fuck Cercei train now?".

The writers HAD to establish why the Dragons can't be the ultimate trump card if they want a big bad battle. And they certainly do (and so do we, if we're being honest).

I think they did, Jorah was using dragonglass daggers it looked like

people are getting a bit critical of the time jumps

Yeah they defy logic but I totally get why they arent draggin things out for realism at this point

I think the viewer needs to infer passage of time and kind of let themselves go. We are winding down and they are pretty much condensing all the big plot points leading into the finale

Im ok with this. Best to let the individual scenes entertain and speak for themselves at this point.

No sense in allowing this story to pick up any more fatigue and Im enjoying the quality in everything else especially as far as pure entertainment.

I think we as the viewers can fill in the gaps with our own imagination and inferences and let the creators focus on making what they do show good

Ummm Ill admit we are getting dangerously tropey just a tad but i suppose they consider it a necessary evil for the sake of moving things along

RDreamer

After sleeping on that episode... I'm still just agitated as hell. I really think if there were more than just one season left now's the time when I'd be checking out. With one left, I'll probably see it for curiosity, but holy cow this season has just killed any excitement I have for GoT and that episode was the last straw.

rudger

I just want to point out that when people post, "it looks like some people are just posting spoilers", that actually spoils more. I would just assume people were discussing theories but then a post like that pops in and it's clear that poster read spoilers and is confirming that something recently said is definitely happening. So thanks for ruining the dragon for me. At first I thought, "yeah that could make sense and would be cool", then "oh fuck that's definitely a spoiler".

Not sure if there is anything to do about it, but yeah..

]
20953104_10156584628039535_9083696950648056115_n.jpg

20915627_1328778930582924_3167038488216074056_n.jpg

duckroll

At this point it makes me worried that it is from that HBO leak. The Ice Dragon theory proved to be correct and I can't feel like I was spoiled before it happened.

Yes being constantly worried that anything is a spoiler is a very healthy way to consume entertainment. Surely.

I loved the shot of Drogon letting out a cry as Vis fell. Only lasted a split second, should have been a little longer.

Don't think I even recognised that so yes it probably should have been lol.

But what is this is I'm seeing about Jamie killing Cersei? Noooo I don't believe that at all. Jamie's a good guy so one the hand I could see it but he's also very loyal to those he cares for, plus Cersei's even pregnant now! I would be shocked if he did her in. He would dishonour himself in so doing.

As far as episode "9s" are concerned, certainly. I was really hyped for this one. It had really good highs and really bad lows.

I think the major problem is, unlike previous penultimate episodes, this has no build up.

Battle of the bastard was basically built up for a season and half.

Battle of Blackwater was built up for the whole season.

This episode was litterly built up in the last 10 minutes of last week's episode. I doesn't feel as big as it should have as a result

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Ummm Ill admit we are getting dangerously tropey just a tad but i suppose they consider it a necessary evil for the sake of moving things along
My feeling is that because the undead vs dragon has taken place so early basically ensures things wont end with a lot of "fan service."

For all you fucking whiners:

Since there has been a lot of contention about the speed with which the Raven and Dany fly back and forth to get to our heroes, I thought it would be fun to do some math and see if it's in any way possible. So how long would Jon and company be sitting on that rock waiting to be rescued while the ice thickens enough to support an army of undead? Here are the things we need to figure out to do so:
How long would it take Gendry to get to the wall from where they were attacked?
-I don't think they traveled very far past the wall since it is stated that they Night King was already near Eastwatch to begin with. Not to mention that the journey for our heroes seems to take place within the course of less than a day. No campfire, no nighttime. I think it would be reasonable to assume that the run back to the wall could have been done within 6 hours.
How fast and how far can a Raven fly?
-This is a little trickier since these Ravens live in a fantasy world but I think the best way to think of them is like real life carrier pigeons, which can travel up to 1100 miles at an average speed of 50MPH according to this:http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Ravens and this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homing_pigeon.
How far is it from Eastwatch to Dragonstone?
-There never seems to be a map that's perfectly accurate depending on what you read so I went with this one: http://www.sermountaingoat.co.uk/map...canon_only.jpg. Which means that they are 1900 miles apart. Let's call it 2000 since I'm sure Raven's don't travel in a perfectly straight line.
So this means that a Raven could travel from Eastwatch to Dragonstone in 40 hours without sleeping or eating/drinking. Give it 8 hours worth of rest along the way and that puts it at an even 2 days journey.
Now, How long will it take Daenerys to do the same journey? No idea really. I can't find any solid info on how fast or how long Dragon's can fly. So I'm going to assume they can fly at least as long as Ravens and say it will take another 2 days for her to reach our heroes near Eastwatch.
Overall this means a 4 day and 6 hour period for Dany to come to the rescue. So could our heroes possible last that long on their little island? Well we don't really have anyway of marking the passage of time here, except that we know the Wights had to wait until the ice around them froze hard enough for them to walk on. SOOOO.....
How long does it take for water to freeze until it's thick enough to walk on?
-Well according to this http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/How_Fast..._Lake_Make_Ice , if we assume that north of the wall has an average temperature of -20 F (which is anyone's guess really but we'll assume the coldest point on the chart), this would mean in 4 days the ice could have gotten up to 12 inches thick in average conditions. According to the article, this means no snow and no clouds (both of which can reduce the ice forming process by half. Since there was both snow and clouds at the time, this could mean that anywhere from 6-12 inches of ice would have formed in 4 days time.
Now is that enough to support the weight of a human being or wight?
According to http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/ice/thickness.html it would take 4" of ice to be safe to go Ice fishing, 5-7" for snowmobiling, and 8-15" for various automobiles. Since we are talking about an army of undead crossing the ice and engaging in open combat I would be willing to assume we would need at least the 5-7" of ice required for snowmobiling, if not more like the 8-15" required by automobiles. All those bodies and jerky motions create alot of stress on the ice.
IN CONCLUSION:
It seems to me that the just over 4 day travel time required for Dany to to receive the Raven and fly to Eastwatch, seems to line up accurately with the amount of time it would take ice to grow enough to support an army of undead to fight on top of it in those conditions.
Thanks to D&D for doing the science : )
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to eat every fucking chicken in this sub.

After sleeping on that episode... I'm still just agitated as hell. I really think if there were more than just one season left now's the time when I'd be checking out. With one left, I'll probably see it for curiosity, but holy cow this season has just killed any excitement I have for GoT and that episode was the last straw.
Yeah this season overall and this particular episode while heavy on payoff is disjointed.

First few episodes was EURON EURON EURON and now we havent seen the dude for two episodes.

For all you fucking whiners:

I mean, I personally couldn't care less about the logistics of Dany reaching them, but this just introduces the problem of how they survived four full days and nights of complete exposure to -20 weather without shelter.

The intention certainly did not seem to portray them as having been there for four days. They didn't even have a fire going.

BumRush

My wife and I are LOVING the brisk pace / action focus. To an extent, I miss the political intrigue and backstabbing of the first few seasons, and the writing (and plot holes) have gotten worse, but it feels like more of a must-watch because every week is a spectacle with insane production value.

I've read the complaints in this thread - 50% of them I share - but none of them have affected my enjoyment of the show.

Last night there were probably 150-200+ posts complaining about how fast Dany got North of the wall with her dragons. Seriously, in a show with dragons, the Night King, women that can't be burned, giants, people being brought back from the dead, children that can control animals with their minds, the ability to wear someone else's face after they're dead, etc etc etc, the fact that ravens and dragons might fly a little faster than expectations is a bother? (also, they never showed how much time they were on the lake...it could have been 36 hours+)

Buddy has a contingency plan for everything life throws at him, and yet his creators didn't seem like they had one too. Also, is there like a frozen Detroit up there in the deep North, because where the fuck did they get those chains? The WIldings didn't seem like the type to have smelters capable to make things like that.

this is where I imagine the Night King does some dealings with isolated human groups. It'd just be really cool to imagine some kind of humans existing that do this kind of thing. Maybe some far out Essos travellers or something.

I don't think i've ever seen someone be so intensely eyefucked before

giphy.gif

Emilia Clarke did some great work. She's spent seasons being boring but she's finally getting the development we need from her.

Last night there were probably 150-200+ posts complaining about how fast Dany got North of the wall with her dragons. Seriously, in a show with dragons, the Night King, women that can't be burned, giants, people being brought back from the dead, children that can control animals with their minds, the ability to wear someone else's face after they're dead, etc etc etc, the fact that ravens and dragons might fly a little faster than expectations is a bother? (also, they never showed how much time they were on the lake...it could have been 36 hours+)

People expect logical consistencies. You can't just say "This show has dragons and magic, so nothing has to make sense". It's a cop out.

OK, but the show does nothing to suggest the timeframes between scenes. Its lazy
I can suspend my disbelief enough to know that days and weeks can pass between scenes. Doesn't bother me at all.

Except know we have an actual calender in terms cersai pregnancy on the show to indicate time passage. Or should I say "pregnancy".

I want a scene where Jaime says "it's been 4 months and you dont have a bump, wtf?"

Jamie killing Cersei is obvious? I can see some argument being made for the undead dragon (though I still find it hard to fathom just the volume of people behind the idea and again the certainty behind these predictions) but the Jamie thing does not make sense at all unless.

I kind of don't see why Jamie would be one to bring about Cersei's death because of those scenes? I know there's another reason why people have been predicting it (unfortunately) but I'll stop.

Anyway, that episode was a but underwhelming given the expectations built up last in EastWatch but I guess spectacle is all that's left now.

Because in the prophecy of the Witch, Cersei was told "You will wed the king, be Queen until there comes another, younger and more beautiful, to cast you down and take all that you hold dear
the King will have 20(?) children and she will have three, gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds, they will all die young painful deaths - all of that was mentioned in the flash back in the show, but it crucially left out "And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you." The valongar being Valerian for the little brother

Everything has come to pass, so next is the death of her at the hands of the little brother, the obvious choice being Tyrion, but its a little too litteral, she obviously fears and hates him as she sees him as the one fortold to kill her, but Jamie is her brother and born second so is also a little brother.
Jamie has gone to great length to show he loves his children, he's grown over the series immensely and there have been many hints he is growing increasingly concerned with the tactics of Cersei and their inevitable defeat

Cersei cannot be pregnant, that much seems obvious, its not prophesised and is the perfect ploy to keep Jamie in line, when he finds out? he's going to be pissed, he already knows she brought about their childrens deaths through her actions, it seems reasonable he'd snap and thrust a sword into her.
It could be that at this meeting he finds this out, that the dead are real and that Cersei is mad, willing to brun all others to maintain her power.
Everthing has been telegraphed from the early series, the same can be said of Jon's lineage, which again conveniently didn't have bits from the book in, like internal monologues of Eddard, it stands to reason the same could be at work here

Now explain why the wights managed to run past Jon and his merry band alongside them on the ice to encircle them, but not the shorter distance to their convenient rock.

bd390f5cae6dc96a3399d9196b91bca5.png

OK, but the show does nothing to suggest the timeframes between scenes. Its lazy

yea honestly when Sam said Bran Stark had been beyond the wall for years I got pretty ticket. That means the white walkers have been marching towards the wall for an unknown amount of time meanwhile everyone can just teleport from the Wall to dragonstone etcetc

Don't think I even recognised that so yes it probably should have been lol.

But what is this is I'm seeing about Jamie killing Cersei? Noooo I don't believe that at all. Jamie's a good guy so one the hand I could see it but he's also very loyal to those he cares for, plus Cersei's even pregnant now! I would be shocked if he did her in. He would dishonour himself in so doing.
I've been waiting for him to realize how bad Cersei is for him since he stopped hanging out with Brienne. Honestly he should just kill Cersei.

REV 09

I'm kind of wondering if the die-hards could ever be pleased with the final clashes of this story. Unless the "real" hook is more and more unexpected things happening.

Dany losing a dragon and having it turn sides is a huge and unexpected event. I wouldn't call it fan service or writing what people want to happen.

Arya and Sansa are in real danger and don't have plot armor to me. Jon and Dany do seem to have plot armor though, which should be obvious after Jon was brought back to life last season and the series being named after Ice and Fire which suggests that the largest plot point is about Jon/Dany vs white walkers.

Pillville

It seems to me that the just over 4 day travel time required for Dany to to receive the Raven and fly to Eastwatch.

I agree that they probably spend a couple days stuck there. But

1) They could've cut out Sansa/Arya boring shit to show more of the Jon group to clarify how long they had been there.
2) Where were they pissing/shitting?
3) It's a simple question of weight ratios. A five ounce bird could not carry a 1 pound coconut.

The final arc was always going to feel more like conventional fantasy.
Dragons, WWs, secret prince etc. It's tropey but I don't see how they could escape it after this is what they were building towards.
So I don't have a problem with that.
What I do have a problem with is the show feels like it's all over the place, I'll reserve judgement till I see the finale.

NolbertoS

Its a fantasy show man, what else could you want. I swear some whiners here think real time, space time and our reality applies to the show. This show covers different laws of physics, different space time, etc. Think of this as being ruled in an alternate universe where even physicists will tell you, don't run timewisr as us.

danm999

I suppose the bigger problem with the dragon showing up and carrying a wight out is that if it is that fast, why not simply have that be the plan in the first place?

What extra motivation did the raven create? It being a dangerous, almost suicidal mission was apparent from the outset.

this is where I imagine the Night King does some dealings with isolated human groups. It'd just be really cool to imagine some kind of humans existing that do this kind of thing. Maybe some far out Essos travellers or something.

They already showed Craster dealing with them, so it is plausible.

What isn't plausible is why they went on that mission in the first place.
What is double not plausible is why Jon had to go on the mission. "I'm the only one who has faced them"

Firstly this isn't true. Secondly, this is irrelevant.

Nobody questions this.

Top Bottom