• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Yes, so we're comparing their strengths and weaknesses.

Littlefinger:
+ Good schemer
+ Lifelong experience
- Middle aged unathletic man

Arya:
+ Valyrian Dagger
+ Little girl James Bond
- Not the sharpest tool in the shed

Stage: Winterfell
Um she can change faces and stuff. She's like naruto.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yes, so we're comparing their strengths and weaknesses.

Littlefinger:
+ Good schemer
+ Lifelong experience
- Middle aged unathletic man

Arya:
+ Valyrian Dagger
+ Little girl James Bond
- Not the sharpest tool in the shed

Stage: Winterfell

Yea, unless Sansa catches onto him or Bran tells them what he's been doing they all might be in trouble. Arya's in an arena she has no experience in right now. She'd have had an easier time killing Cersei in King's Landing.

I know but is he dead? Did Euron take Casterly Rock? Why was he able to get there in half an episode but it takes him 3+ episodes to get back? In the meantime, the Lannisters already took Highgarden, Jon Snow was a prisoner for a couple of weeks, and he made his way to the Wall from Dragonstone.

Euron (assuming he's on his own ship and not still at KL) is just there to wipe out the Unsullied fleet so they cannot escape nor return to Dragonstone. Greyworm and the Unsullied are basically stuck there. Euron is not going to attack Casterly Rock because land siege is not his specialty and the goal was to isolate Dany's forces.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How did you guys put Littlefinger ahead in that matchup? I keep saying she can just go up and stab him. She doesn't for Sansa/Jon's sake.

She's not stuck in Winterfell with them. They're stuck in Winterfell with her.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
How did you guys put Littlefinger ahead in that matchup? I keep saying she can just go up and stab him. She doesn't for Sansa/Jon's sake.

She's not stuck in Winterfell with them. They're stuck in Winterfell with her.

He's manipulating her though. That much was clear in the last episode.

the more I think about it, the more I feel like the Northern lords scene in episode 5 was one of the worst in any of the seasons ever.

We first get a Northern lords meeting in the s6 finale when Jon is named King, so obviously it was an important scene let alone transition from r+l=j confirmed. Then we have it in s7 premier, Jon is handling business and everybody is there and it's an important scene. Then we have it again when Jon announced he's leaving Winterfull to see Dany. Also obviously important because Sansa is in charge now.

But the ONE time we see a Northern lords meeting while Sansa is in charge, it is like a minute long scene and there's zero depth to it other than letting the audience know that the North + Vale are tempted to betray Jon. And Sansa says something innocuous to end the scene while Arya goes mentally stealthily berserk on Sansa.

And conveniently Lyanna wasn't even there! What would her perspective have been? Side with Sansa or the crowd? Basically that scene made it seem like a Northern lords meeting isn't important anymore like it used to be just coz Sansa isn't as good of a public speaker.
smh
There are so many conversations that haven't happened. Like why would Gendry talk about his dad he never met to Jon, who's dad he met the one time and not tell Jon he was with Arya for like a year? Why did Jon bring up serving with Jeor Mormont to Jorah and not bring up that he also served with Aemmon Targaryen to Dany? Why did Jorah not tell Jon that he was cured by a Night's Watch guy knowing that Jon also served at the Wall?

Ugh and where the hell is Greyworm, the Sand Snakes, Yara, and everyone else? Why is it that we had three episodes of Euron teleporting cross continent and now things are at a standstill in terms of development?

And the whole Jon Snow's Magnificent Seven plot line is stupid. They need to stop listening to Tyrion's dumb plans. He's going to get them all killed.

good post

Nyanmaruz

Youtube recommedations...
tumblr_inline_n8bnl8MUxy1qd4eo6.gif

Probably to early to talk about but should they continue GoT after the main story is over? Could they do:

Robert's Rebellion?
Aegon's Conquest?

I thought they had like 5 spinoffs in the works, and surprisingly Robert's Rebellion is not one of them.

That's asinine... These are probably small spin-offs and don't want to short change the rebellion story?

Haly

I thought they had like 5 spinoffs in the works, and surprisingly Robert's Rebellion is not one of them.
He's manipulating her though. That much was clear in the last episode.

But it doesn't matter. She's shown that she can best Brienne. Even if he manipulates Arya into killing everyone of importance in Winterfell from Sansa to Glover to Bran to Lady Mormont this still doesn't keep him safe from her. He can't actually manipulate her into killing herself.
That's asinine... These are probably small spin-offs and don't want to short change the rebellion story?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1368901

Euphor!a

Banned
But it doesn't matter. He can't actually manipulate her into killing herself. She's shown that she can best Brienne. Even if he manipulates Arya into killing everyone of importance in Winterfell from Sansa to Glover to Bran to Lady Mormont this still doesn't keep him safe from her.

I don't even know what you are trying to argue here. The original point had absolutely zero to do with how capable Arya is at killing people.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
But it doesn't matter. He can't actually manipulate her into killing herself. She's shown that she can best Brienne. Even if he manipulates Arya into killing everyone of importance in Winterfell from Sansa to Glover to Bran to Lady Mormont this still doesn't keep him safe from her.
But he has the Knights of the Vale in his pocket, and the North needs them desperately for the fight with the white walkers. I'm pretty sure he has most of the northern lords in his pocket as well. He winds up dead and the entire northern alliance could crumble, and any hope of fighting the white walkers. So yes, as an assassin Arya could assassinate him, but she would be destroying the north in the process.

Also about the Brienne/Arya fight, that was just sparring. In a real fight I think Brienne's strength would win out.

Haly

So yes, as an assassin Arya could assassinate him, but she would be destroying the north in the process.
Right, so, again, Littlefinger lives only due to Arya's respect for Sansa and Jon's goals (mostly Jon). I doubt she even cares about the White Walkers. She's in it for herself and her family. People saying "he's manipulating her everywhere!" miss the broader point, which is that he is utterly at her mercy and he doesn't even realize it.

Also about the Brienne/Arya fight, that was just sparring. In a real fight I think Brienne's strength would win out.
Well in a real situation she'd assassinate Brienne at an opportune moment instead of going toe to toe with her.
I don't even know what you are trying to argue here. The original point had absolutely zero to do with how capable Arya is at killing people.

Cleverness only matters when people play by the same rules.

But he has the Knights of the Vale in his pocket, and the North needs them desperately for the fight with the white walkers. I'm pretty sure he has most of the northern lords in his pocket as well. He winds up dead and the entire northern alliance could crumble, and any hope of fighting the white walkers. So yes, as an assassin Arya could assassinate him, but she would be destroying the north in the process.

Sansa can reveal how Petyr betrayed the Vale, though. And he betrayed them twice.

I mean, she could just take his face and become Littlefinger.

That seems like who she's decided she wants to be, anyway.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
But it doesn't matter. She's shown that she can best Brienne. Even if he manipulates Arya into killing everyone of importance in Winterfell from Sansa to Glover to Bran to Lady Mormont this still doesn't keep him safe from her. He can't actually manipulate her into killing herself. [/url]

This implies she figures out what he's been doing before he finds a way to off her.

Haly

This implies she figures out what he's been doing before he finds a way to off her.

I see no plausible option for him offing her, is the thing. What can he possibly do? It's like Jaime in the face of Dany's dragons. You know you've lost already, the only variable is the manner in which you decide to lose. Cersei is still on the throne because Dany is worried about optics. Littlefinger and Glover are alive because Arya is worried about what Jon wants.

the more I think about it, the more I feel like the Northern lords scene in episode 5 was one of the worst in any of the seasons ever.

And conveniently Lyanna wasn't even there! What would her perspective have been? Side with Sansa or the crowd? Basically that scene made it seem like a Northern lords meeting isn't important anymore like it used to be just coz Sansa isn't as good of a public speaker.
smh

good post

I would hold off on this, for a couple of reasons. First, we're not sure where it's going to lead, going back to earlier seasons there seemed to have been many pointless scenes, in hindsight though nearly all of them were significant at some point in time.

The scene with Quaithe seemed pointless for a few seasons until Jorah got greyscale, right?

Also, think about when Bran was Lord of WF for a while with Maester Lewin by his side, he had people come up to him with questions, concerns etc...That's what this was here, it wasn't a mass meeting of Lords, it was people coming to speak to Sansa about something or the other. It's why Lyanna wasn't there, also, because they're clearly conspiring with LF, or being influenced by him, or, just seeking his counsel. Lyanna should really have nothing to do with this scene and having her there would be stupid, why would she spend her days sitting in the WF hall when she's got her own home to take care of?

I say, until there's a conclusion you should stop over thinking it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I see no realistic option for him offing her, is the thing. What can he possibly do? It's like Jaime in the face of Dany's dragons. You know you've lost already, the only question is the manner in which you decide to lose.

He sets her up to kill Sansa, leaks that she did it to the Northern Lords who then take her and put her to death. She's good, but even the best fighter can't beat a dozen-plus armored guys. The series has been pretty clear on that point.

Haly

She escapes them because she's, you know, trained in this, and Winterfell is her home turf. Then what?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
She escapes them because she's, you know, trained in this, and Winterfell is her home turf. Then what?

You're assuming they don't just kill her straight away. My point is there's ways for him to deal with her that she can't just get out of easily.

I would hold off on this, for a couple of reasons. First, we're not sure where it's going to lead, going back to earlier seasons there seemed to have been many pointless scenes, in hindsight though nearly all of them were significant at some point in time.

The scene with Quaithe seemed pointless for a few seasons until Jorah got greyscale, right?

Also, think about when Bran was Lord of WF for a while with Maester Lewin by his side, he had people come up to him with questions, concerns etc...That's what this was here, it wasn't a mass meeting of Lords, it was people coming to speak to Sansa about something or the other. It's why Lyanna wasn't there, also, because they're clearly conspiring with LF, or being influenced by him, or, just seeking his counsel. Lyanna should really have nothing to do with this scene and having her there would be stupid, why would she spend her days sitting in the WF hall when she's got her own home to take care of?

I meant the Northern lords meetings post-Greyjoy and Bolton occupancy. There's been a lot that's happened before and after Starks were in control of Winterfell in this story. All of the scenes of the Northern lords together was treated importantly other than one where Sansa was the leader.

Also it was a Northern lords meeting, Lyanna was at all of them why shouldn't she have been in this one? If she's got no business being in Winterfell than why would Lord Glover or Ser Royce?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
How? Do they rush her down in her room? Do you think she would not hear them coming?

You're missing the point: Arya isn't some assassin god that is the best ever at everything and is totally invincible. The show has been very clear that even the best fighters can go down given the right situation. Littlefinger is a master at creating those situations.

FiggyCal

Banned

It would've been cooler if Quaithe had something to do with healing Jorah. And for that matter, we still don't really know anything about her. I thought she'd be more important but it's been 5 seasons (?) since her last appearance?

Haly

Littlefinger, for all his ability to scheme, probably could not wipe out the Freys singelhandedly. This is the difference between him and her.

Like, not a single person in the history of the show has mass murdered with such ease as Arya. Even Dany relies on her dragons to torch and burn en masse.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Littlefinger, for all his ability to scheme, probably could not wipe out the Freys singelhandedly. This is the difference between him and her.

Like, not a single person in the history of the show have mass murdered with such ease as Arya. Even Dany relies on her dragons.

Arya relies on her faces to do that though, she's not an Assassin's Creed player character. She can't do anything.

FiggyCal

Banned

Like, not a single person in the history of the show have mass murdered with such ease as Arya. Even Dany relies on her dragons to torch and burn en masse.

I really think Littlefinger is in over his head. If she hasn't caught on to what he's up to now, then he's certainly screwed later. She's not going to hesistate killing him.

Haly

She's not an Assassin's Creed player character.

I think she is. This is probably the crux of our disagreement.

I think Littlefinger is playing Crusader Kings II and Arya is playing Hitman. Littlefinger is really good at CK2 but that doesn't mean he's good at Hitman.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Littlefinger schemed a whole war between the Starks and Lannisters. Arya was able to kills the Freys with her powers but I don't think she could've schemed that without the powers. It's not really fair to compare either of them.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think she is. This is probably the crux of our disagreement.

I think Littlefinger is playing Crusader Kings II and Arya is playing Hitman. Littlefinger is really good at CK2 but that doesn't mean he's good at Hitman.

So you're operating under the assumption she can just take out 20 armed knights? The show has shown us many many many times that even the best fighters can be brought down if the numbers are there or the situation they find themselves in is bad enough. Barriston got jumped by a punk in an alley and got shived and he was the best living swordsman.

Also, he doesn't need to be good at Hitman. He just needs to set up a situation in such a way that Arya can't just use a face to get out of trouble. Take that way and she's more than killable. This is Dungeons and Dragons and Littlefinger is the Game Master.

LF got Arya's father killed. If you don't think poetic justice is about to play out, you're sadly mistaken.

That's going to depend entirely on if her and Sansa work together or not.

I meant the Northern lords meetings post-Greyjoy and Bolton occupancy. There's been a lot that's happened before and after Starks were in control of Winterfell in this story. All of the scenes of the Northern lords together was treated importantly other than one where Sansa was the leader.

Also it was a Northern lords meeting, Lyanna was at all of them why shouldn't she have been in this one? If she's got no business being in Winterfell than why would Lord Glover or Ser Royce?

I really have no clue why Lord Royce is there, especially when he didn't seem to like LF in the past couple of seasons. But, again, maybe he's being manipulated by LF who is damn good at it. I'm going to hold judgement on that until we see some follow up to the scene.

But you're wrong about the meeting of lords, it was a couple lords coming to grieve their shit towards Sansa.

Tell me why aren't any of them in this scene? Why is this Lord, who pledged to the Starks in this scene but the others aren't? This is the same thing, it's not a meeting. It's was the head of the house does, Dany even did it in Mereen.

Littlefinger schemed a whole war between the Starks and Lannisters. Arya was able to kills the Freys with her powers but I don't think she could've schemed that without the powers. It's not really fair to compare either of them.
He was able to do this because the Starks trusted him. Now they don't.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Euron (assuming he's on his own ship and not still at KL) is just there to wipe out the Unsullied fleet so they cannot escape nor return to Dragonstone. Greyworm and the Unsullied are basically stuck there. Euron is not going to attack Casterly Rock because land siege is not his specialty and the goal was to isolate Dany's forces.
They can march overland but it would take a long ass time.

I really have no clue why Lord Royce is there, especially when he didn't seem to like LF in the past couple of seasons. But, again, maybe he's being manipulated by LF who is damn good at it. I'm going to hold judgement on that until we see some follow up to the scene.

But you're wrong about the meeting of lords, it was a couple lords coming to grieve their shit towards Sansa.

Tell me why aren't any of them in this scene? Why is this Lord, who pledged to the Starks in this scene but the others aren't? This is the same thing, it's not a meeting. It's was the head of the house does, Dany even did it in Mereen.

I already told you why I disregarded it, it's because it was back when the North was way more peaceful. Sansa is in charge of a very recent Bolton occupied Winterfell and therefore a Bolton occupied North.

"As long as the Boltons rule the North, the North will suffer."

More importantly, when he's attacking Dany's navy it's fundamentally Ironborn vs. Ironborn, which neatly escapes the Ironborn Always Lose problem.

If he tried to fight the Unsullied or the Starks or a particularly vindictive chipmunk that happens to be from a non-shite kingdom he'd be proper fucked.

I already told you why I disregarded it, it's because it was back when the North was way more peaceful. Sansa is in charge of a very recent Bolton occupied Winterfell and therefore a Bolton occupied North.

"As long as the Boltons rule the North, the North will suffer."

Still no justification as to why Lyanna should be there. Girl has things to do, plain and simple.

More importantly, when he's attacking Dany's navy it's fundamentally Ironborn vs. Ironborn, which neatly escapes the Ironborn Always Lose problem.

If he tried to fight the Unsullied or the Starks or a particularly vindictive chipmunk that happens to be from a non-shite kingdom he'd be proper fucked.

Ironborn are a bunch of bums from a bum kingdom. It's hilarious that they have this mantra that they take what is theirs, yet any of the main kingdoms would bitch slap and actually did so when they "took what is theirs". Euron seems different somehow, which makes him interesting.

Saying that, hopefully the Ironbums are not part of ep 6 and 7. I want the world of warcraft storyline, winterfell, and Cersei/Danny meeting to be the focus for the next two episodes. Only so many times I can watch Reek being a failure at life, let him do it for the premiere of the final season.

Who says there are three left by the time he's done. He's already setting Arya up against Sansa.
If one of em ends killing the other, I'm gonna rage lol

Top Bottom