• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT PART 2| Season 6 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanRats

Best director gone, return of director responsible for the laughably awful Sand Snakes x Jamie fight.

Fuck.

Oh i thought that was in The Gift, which Sapochnik directed, and was wondering how the hell he could produce something that bad, but figured time and resources, and such... Oh no.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
In this day and age? I mean, they have to dumb down GoT, what do you think they'll have to do to Foundation to make it palatable to the masses?

Foundation is twisty, but not actually that complicated.
For one, there's only one plot thread at a time. Or two.

That'd be a shitload of locations to get through, though. Foundation doesn't stay in any one place for very long.
Foundation is my favourite book, but Dune is a better shot as a TV show.

Pagusas

Elden Member
It was discussed ad nauseam after The Door, but I don't think Bran is changing or has changed anything in the past. Everything that occurred (hold the door, Ned turning around) was always going to occur as it's a closed loop.

He cant change the past because the past is already written with him changing it. Makes my head hurt, but closed loop time travel makes more sense than branching paths at least.

I just dont like the idea it suggest time has no forward momentum, its all one solid entity thats already hard stamped into the universe. All that will be has already been written, there is no free will, there is no changing the future as its already locked in place (has to be for closed loops to work, otherwise their would be a timeline that didnt have the initial future contact).

Well I hope this means he will be on for Season 8 instead along with Nutter in a big way. Probably going to be the most epic season anyway with the most fights. Last 2 episodes were so fucking good btw. Especially the cinematography and music.

Ithil

I don't get it.

People are disappointed Miguel Sapochnik isn't directing any episodes for season 7, he directed Hardhome, Battle of the Bastards and the Winds of Winter, three of the best episodes (possibly the best, from a directing standpoint) of the series. He seems to be a perfect match with GOT.

Alan Taylor returning is interesting. His jump to Hollywood didn't go too well, but he had been considered the best director for season 1/2. Perhaps he's just better at TV.

HvySky

He cant change the past because the past is already written with him changing it. Makes my head hurt, but closed loop time travel makes more sense than branching paths at least.

I just dont like the idea it suggest time has no forward momentum, its all one solid entity thats already hard stamped into the universe. All that will be has already been written, there is no free will, there is no changing the future as its already locked in place (has to be for closed loops to work, otherwise their would be a timeline that didnt have the initial future contact).

I mean, you could say something similar about real life if you wanted to. That the future is written in stone is less impactful of a revelation if you still don't know where that future leads. You can say any and everything that happens is just "part of the plan" but it doesn't really matter. That stuff still happened. It'd be different if Bran saw the outcome of the battle against the White Walkers, and we're just waiting for the inevitable.

At this point all we know is that King's Landing is going to see some shit beyond the bombing of the Sept, if Bran and Dany's visions are to be believed.

Maybe after the initial incursion, they get pushed back in a big war, and the Night King retreats to the fortress and they have to march into uncharted territory to finish the fight?.
Yea, I think this will happen. They will win the initial war and push them back, with big but still acceptable losses. People want to chill, but Jon will bring up the point that they will just wait it out again, increasing their numbers and come back anyway and next time no one will have the strength to stop them since all magic is likely dead by that point. Jon can't accept to doom future generations like that and will push to finish the fight once and for all. And since the far north is the walkers territory it will cost Jon and Dany everything they have left, including perhaps their own lives, but they end up winning and the walkers are wiped out.

-griffy-

Banned
I don't get it.

According to IMDB, Sapochnik already has a couple other projects going so it may simply be scheduling. Hopefully they can get him back for the final season.

It's funny, I remember way back in season 1 and 2, people were saying the same thing about Alan Taylor that they're saying now about Sapochnik. Now he's coming back after dipping his toes into feature films.

People complain about Mark Mylod, but The Broken Man seemed like an incredibly well considered and put together episode. The stuff with The Hound and Brother Ray was really unique for the series. Point to the Sand Snakes fight all you want, but I don't know that the director is to blame for that so much as the schedule for location shooting screwing them over. Arya's chase was fine and competently shot, it's the story stuff around it that was problematic, which again isn't really the director's fault. Beyond those two individual scenes, his episodes were fine.

Podeswa's done really solid work on the show. Anything in his episodes people have a problem with were again story stuff that he isn't really responsible for.

As for Matt Shakman, people should probably be excited for anyone involved with Fargo and Mad Men coming on board.

I miss ominous creepy old unexplained magics White Walkers and not tree lady super weapon White Walkers.

Me too, but they had to be explained at some point. Well, to conform to mainstream TV expectations, anyway.

The mystery is always more interesting than the reveal unfortunately.

duckroll

I think the directors were decided long before the critical acclaim of this season. They have to start shooting in July or so, these deals would have been confirmed months ago. If they're not finalizing the deal for Sapochnik to direct the series finale in Season 8 right now, they would be stupid.

Oh i thought that was in The Gift, which Sapochnik directed, and was wondering how the hell he could produce something that bad, but figured time and resources, and such... Oh no.

Nah. So far Miguel Sapochnik gave us the only two scenes in Dorne worth remembering: Bad Pussy's tits, and the Bad Pussies getting schooled by the Hag of Highgarden.

It might have been the same actor but it's not exactly the same character. This Night King isn't the first one, there have been others before who were killed.

Though seeing the Night King has the ability to turn human babies into White Walkers with a simple touch, I suppose it's safe to assume the first White Walker was also a Night King.

Where is this coming from?

effzee

Here's the scene.

This was quite a bit before Ned was killed, from episode 5. Illyrio and Varys are discussing how the Starks and Lannisters are fighting already, and Ned has almost figured things out in regards to Robert and Cersei's kids, and war will start soon, but Illyrio is concerned that the Targaryens and Dothraki aren't ready for war yet. It essentially shows that Varys has been working to reinstate the Targaryens into power from the beginning.

Yet he executed the assassination plot against her and also iirc he ratted out Jorah for his role because Tywin wanted to fuck with her

The show has largely presented Varys with good intentions but those actions from season 1 seems fishy. He wanted Dany to be sold to the Dothraki but then also ordered or went through with her assassination attempt? Why? He wanted her brother, who was already clearly insane, back on the throne? Why?

And now he is back on Team Dany full time. Show hasn't really provided an explanation yet on what his true motives are. Wouldn't shock me at all if he isn't what he is trying to be.

Also LF and or Varys have to know Jon is not Ned's bastard. LF especially considering he was dropping hints to Sansa earlier.

Elandyll

Banned
That's because he is doing all of 8.....right......right?

:'(
It would make a lot of sense to bring him back for a bunch of back to back episodes in season 8, to direct the War against the Night King.

Imo Season 7 is going to be a lot of exposition/ dialogues to setup season 8, simply because at this point it's pretty much Cersei vs Rest of the World.

Oh yeah, Euron building ships might offer an alliance with her, but that won't matter a thing when Dany is coming North with more than 10.000 Dothraki soldiers, 2.000 unsullied, 3 Dragons and support from both Dorne and the Tyrell House.

In the North, you have Jon and Sansa which just unified the North, all the way down to the Riverlands thanks to Arya, and "should" soon be joined by the Brotherhood, The Hound and Brienne/ Pod.
LF will be a concern for a while I guess, but given the Northern -and- southern threats all his ambitions came crashing down, lady Mormont placing the final blow by calling Jon the king in the North instead of making Sansa the Warden.
His last play will either be to strike back at Jon (poison/ fire) and/ or go back to KL to try and gain Cersei's favors which logically (other than still trying to woo Sansa, which I don't see happening) is his last shot at the Throne (those two definitely deserve each other).

What would be funny would be LF botching his attempted assassination in WF, fleeing to KL to offer his help to Cersei, Making grandiose plans on how to get her confidence, eventually marrying her and betraying her, only to arrive seeing hundreds of ships in the Harbor, Cersei dead by Jaime's hand when she was about to blow up the whole city (Qyburn fleeing the place with his personal Zombie).

Can't wait to see (hopefully) the scene between LF in a KL jail, and Tyrion with Varys visiting him.

History and Lore from the DVD extras.

The very first Night's King was a deserted Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. This Night's King we see now is not the same one.

I think that was true when the novels were still driving the fiction. The children creating the first white walker/night king is exclusively in the show fiction, and is the only origin we have for the character.

I think that was true when the novels were still driving the fiction. The children creating the first white walker/night king is exclusively in the show fiction, and is the only origin we have for the character.

It was a legend, so it could have been a story that the free folk made up or altered as time went on. But yeah, specific to the show there is no reason to believe that the current NK isn't the first and only one. Just answering your question, that's all.

duckroll

This is the real shocker to me. The man is one of the best directors on TV and was hugely successful in his GoT debut. How do you not have him come back?

He already said it was unlikely that he would be doing season 7 because they have a regular crew and there are less episodes so there isn't room for him. Not sure why anyone is surprised. When he said that, the directors were likely already decided. It's not like they wait until a season ends, check out which episodes people liked, and then pick new directors for the next season. There's no time for that.

He already said it was unlikely that he would be doing season 7 because they have a regular crew and there are less episodes so there isn't room for him. Not sure why anyone is surprised. When he said that, the directors were likely already decided. It's not like they wait until a season ends, check out which episodes people liked, and then pick new directors for the next season. There's no time for that.

Ah man I didn't realize Bender already said he probably isn't coming back. Man I hope they can convince him to maybe do one episode of Season 8. That's far enough out they should have just Bender and Sapochnik do it. That would be the dream

duckroll

Ah man I didn't realize Bender already said he probably isn't coming back. Man I hope they can convince him to maybe do one episode of Season 8. That's far enough out they should have just Bender and Sapochnik do it. That would be the dream

The good news is, based on what he said, if he is available and they ask him back in future, he's game, the bad news is that he might not have time for it because he has a new show next year:

Are you coming back next season?

I don’t know the answer to that. They’re only doing seven [episodes], and they’ve got their regulars who have done it forever. I know that I had a wonderful experience doing the show and I know that Dan and David are thrilled with the shows, but I’ve got this series I’m mounting for the beginning of 2017 based on Stephen King’s trilogy of books, starting with Mr. Mercedes. Brendan Gleeson is playing the lead, which I’m thrilled about, Anton Yelchin, and I’m in the process of mounting that. I haven’t been asked yet and I also don’t know what their schedule is going to be. But under the best of circumstances, schedule and everything, I had a great experience doing the show. If available and they wanted me to, I would love to do that.

History and Lore from the DVD extras.

The very first Night's King was a deserted Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. This Night's King we see now is not the same one.
Do we know if he was killed though in the first white walker war? Maybe he just retreaded and it's still the same one.

I think the directors were decided long before the critical acclaim of this season. They have to start shooting in July or so, these deals would have been confirmed months ago. If they're not finalizing the deal for Sapochnik to direct the series finale in Season 8 right now, they would be stupid..
Makes perfect sense, hopefully they will

olympia

UE0cMkl.gif

LMAO

this is so fucking amazing

has the beauty and the beast x sam one been posted yet

The good news is, based on what he said, if he is available and they ask him back in future, he's game, the bad news is that he might not have time for it because he has a new show next year:

Nice so there is still some hope. I'm not worried about Sapochnik at this point as I'm almost positive they are probably going to do everything possible to get him back for Season 8. I just hope when all is said and done we get 1 more episode from Bender as well. Season 8 is the end so they need to have as much talent as possible involved to close this series out

Isn't there a character called the Night's King who is different from the Nights King. Like book vs show?

Yeah, you're right. Night's King is the legend. Night King is the dude we see on the show.

Do we know if he was killed though in the first white walker war? Maybe he just retreaded and it's still the same one.

Not to my knowledge we don't. Though they do mention the WW's waking up a few times, or that they were sleeping. So it could be that they remained dormant for some time and it's still the same one.

Interfectum

Just watched final episode. It's amazing how Cersei went from one of my least favorite characters on the show to one of my favorites.

effzee

I think the directors were decided long before the critical acclaim of this season. They have to start shooting in July or so, these deals would have been confirmed months ago. If they're not finalizing the deal for Sapochnik to direct the series finale in Season 8 right now, they would be stupid.

Nah. So far Miguel Sapochnik gave us the only two scenes in Dorne worth remembering: Bad Pussy's tits, and the Bad Pussies getting schooled by the Hag of Highgarden.

I wonder how the episodes are shot - seems like a logistical nightmare.

I always thought it would be easier to have 1 director, like True Detective, do all the episodes.

Are they all shot side by side? Like if they are shooting Dorne scenes with Sand Snakes, even though they appear on screen 8 episodes apart, do they have 2 directors on set shooting their own episodes at the same time?

Also while in the past they have had to start shooting in July for a full 10 episode season, they probably have a later start date and shorter shooting period overall due to the reduced # of episodes.

Excited for next season but also sad it is coming to an end. I can never get enough of it. I'd love a spinoff or prequel about all the legends and stories which have led up to the current events.

Neospartan

Neo Member
I wonder how the episodes are shot - seems like a logistical nightmare.

I always thought it would be easier to have 1 director, like True Detective, do all the episodes.

Are they all shot side by side? Like if they are shooting Dorne scenes with Sand Snakes, even though they appear on screen 8 episodes apart, do they have 2 directors on set shooting their own episodes at the same time?

Also while in the past they have had to start shooting in July for a full 10 episode season, they probably have a later start date and shorter shooting period overall due to the reduced # of episodes.

Excited for next season but also sad it is coming to an end. I can never get enough of it. I'd love a spinoff or prequel about all the legends and stories which have led up to the current events.

I don't think so. One of the several reasons for the shorter seasons is that they'll do increasingly more complex scenes, so more time needs to go into shooting each episode.

-griffy-

Banned
Yes, they are shooting 3-4 units in multiple countries at any given time. So for example you'll have the director for episodes 1&2 shoot scenes in Belfast with actors involved there, then move on to Croatia to shoot scenes on location there while the director for episodes 3&4 starts shooting at Belfast. The schedule is such that it would be logistically impossible for one director to do all of it since it all overlaps.

Brashnir

Oh man, I'm looking forward to seeing Tyrion and Sansa reunite. That ought to be good.

Yep, I can't wait to see how awkward that introduction from Tyrion is.

"Danaerys, this is Jon Sn.... Stark? Of Winterfell - The King in the North. And the lady with him is, well, my wife, Sansa.

Does anyone have any wine?"

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Spoilers for seasons 7 and 8:

- Of the 15 remaining episodes, 7 of them are dedicated to dealing with the unresolved plot issues in Dorne. Mostly flashback episodes revealing the deep lore of the Sand Snakes. One episode is called "Whip It" and it's just that one girl learning to use a whip.
- 4 focus on Robin Arryn
- Then it's a pivot to 2 episodes of daily governance in Mereen
- The penultimate episode is a side story about a bard who sings songs about the events of the series, which also doubles as a clip show
- Then it's time for the finale. Cersei invites Avenged Sevenfold for inaugural ball. After 30 minutes of concert footage, Cersei is seen sending out a raven to say that she makes peace with all of the other characters. Cut to the Night's King... he is rampaging through towns... he gets to the Citadel, but is so moved to tears by how cute Sam and Gilly are that he too offers peace to the Westerosi. The final scene of the episode is that one fat kid who makes pies, narrating the story to an impatient customer.

... a pan to the customer's face reveals ned stark, who says "wow, that sounds like some tall tale kid. I've got to go to King's Landing now to be the hand of the king!" *smash cut to black*

Also a preview of the GAF thread: 150 people posting book spoilers in the no book readers thread, somehow, even though the show is over.

A handful of people say "Wait, who was the guy in the tavern and why is he hand of the king?". When it's explained that he's Ned Stark, they say "How can I be expected to remember stuff from like 10 years ago?" because apparently most people juggle chainsaws, post on Instagram, and look at epic memes while they're watching Game of Thrones and so they can't be blamed for severe attention issues.

One guy asks "I thought this show was about a meth dealer in new mexico, who was that icy dude?" and then he talks about how he likes all music except country and rap, and how Donald Trump really says what he means.

Venture

Here's a kind of "out there" thought that just occurred to me: What are the chances Sansa and Tyrion get back together? Willingly this time of course. I guess in the show Sansa is supposed to be really young still so it would be pretty creepy.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Sapochnik is doing the first episode of Netflix's Altered Carbon series, so that's going to involve a lot more heavy lifting than other episodic gigs. Hopefully he gives that show a good foundation, and it's certainly a great opportunity for him.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Here's a kind of "out there" thought that just occurred to me: What are the chances Sansa and Tyrion get back together? Willingly this time of course. I guess in the show Sansa is supposed to be really young still so it would be pretty creepy.

Well, she's 18 in the show right now, so it's not that creepy. Speaking of creepy, I still hope Dany and Jorah hook up, I ship that shit hard.

duckroll

Sapochnik is doing the first episode of Netflix's Altered Carbon series, so that's going to involve a lot more heavy lifting than other episodic gigs. Hopefully he gives that show a good foundation, and it's certainly a great opportunity for him.

He's also directing the fourth episode of Netflix's Marvel's Iron Fist apparently. Hopefully Netflix didn't steal him for good!

I've been trying to figure out who will answer the call to protect King's Landing when Daenerys' fleet arrives. Obviously the Lannisters, help balance the scales It seems a safe bet that Euron will side with them as well. Are there any other large scale houses that could get involved? If not King's Landing seems set to be over run.

Wanted to bring that up myself. I actually would like it since they are both adults now and would be cute as hell together. And they are both good people.

I've been trying to figure out who will answer the call to protect King's Landing when Daenerys' fleet arrives. Obviously the Lannisters, help balance the scales It seems a safe bet that Euron will side with them as well. Are there any other large scale houses that could get involved? If not King's Landing seems set to be over run.
Lannisters, maybe some Freys from Riverun and possibly Euron (but I don't think the Iron Born even have that much of an army, just ships). So yeah, Cersei is fucked. Especially now that all cash and food supply is cut off from Highgarden.

komplanen

I want to start reading the books despite having seen it all now in the TV show. I just can't put myself through it if the last book is 5 year away after the next book that isn't even released yet.

Or is there one more book only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom