• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT PART 2| Season 6 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's only 15 episodes then there is no season for two more seasons

15 episodes for one season is perfect.

Then you better be prepared to wait two years for the last season.

They are splitting it up because we're going to have major set pieces, these things take a lot of time and are extremely complicated and costly.

They simply can't do a single long season, not enough shooting hours or staff for it to be feasible.

Fliesen

Not so sure on that. Based on his arc this season & the 9th episode one could very well assume that he wouldn't want Winterfell & the "King in the North" title, but he did accepted it anyway. Not saying he is suddenly turning power hungry but considering if people push for him to take the throne, I think he'll accept it.

if people push for him to fight a WAR between northerners and an army of Dornishmen, Dothraki, Tyrells and Unsullied - i don't think he'd be up for that.

Every person who dies in that war would be one person less to fight off the undead.

Again, both Jon and Daenerys want to unite Westeros. And Jon doesn't mind not being the leader. Often he's being pushed into that role because ... well someone has to do it, and all the other candidates are shit.
But Daenerys isn't shit. The sooner she's on the throne, the sooner the conflict within Westeros is over, the sooner the forces of a newly united Westeros can stand their ground against the White Walkers.

Jon didn't even wanna take back Winterfell, originally, because he thought it'd be a useless waste of lives.

JimiNutz

Banned
Any chance we get two 7 episode seasons but each episode is now 90 mins long?

Would make each episode like a mini movie and would mean that we still get plenty of screen time to complete the story.

Seems a bit low? I thought GoT brought in more viewers than that?

I think this is just live viewing. With HBO Go/Now and DVR, Battle of the Bastards hit 23M viewers so I assume the finale got even more.

GoT can't really get the amount of viewers that Walking Dead gets, because AMC is included in most basic cable packages so it already has a larger pool of people that can watch it.

Echoplx

Would make each episode like a mini movie and would mean that we still get plenty of screen time to complete the story.

That would defeat the entire purpose of making the seasons shorter.

Volimar

Guys D&D confirmed it in an interview earlier today, 13-15 episodes is happening.

They can confirm it all they want, but unless it happens onscreen, I don't buy it.

#20episodes

Mte2NR5.jpg

What if....

Jon becomes the night king.

Maybe the reason the night king hasn't come, is that he needs a vessel, and Jon, having been resurrected, might serve some specific requirements.

I'm not saying it's gonna happen, but it would be a typical "i think i've figured it out now.. Wait WHAT!?" game of thrones twist.

I hope it doesn't happen though. Jon is awesome.

Just give me 7 episodes for next season in 2017, the final season in 2018, and a movie in 2019 a year later. Do it double Ds. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Watch one of the endings is Arya getting on a boat as a big arm Gendry rows West to a new continent. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Also for the Maester song. Anyone feel like it's a GoT version of one of Ennio Morricone's pieces during the western run in the 70s? That beat in the middle of the song? I can't recall the song it reminds me of though. Ramin has been a GOAT this season. I know he will deliver us decades material worth of greatness, but I feel like Game of Thrones will be his magnum opus.

What are peoples' predictions for next season. I'll give it a go which means 90% will be wrong:
- Cersei dies before the season finale. It might be that she tries to burn KL, but in Danny's vision that place already looked like shit. She might actually do it.
- Brandon L Stark is going to cause more intentional destruction. Him walking through the magic wall Subzero has built with Shang Tsung magic will allow the Night King and everyone to go through and kill the Night's Watch and topple the wall.
- Arya will head to her kill list instead of towards the Starks
- Sansa and littlefinger will fight it out.. this is hard to predict who wins, but I will go with Sansa just because I want it to be so.
- The big one. Daenerys gets killed. If Jon wouldn't have gotten rekt in the s5 finale, I would say it's a toss up between the two. She has had it the best out of any of the big players. I just think that things have gone so well that some crazy shit is going to happen to her. No one keeps getting Ws at every step other than Littlefinger, and 10% of his wit is higher than Danny could ever get to. This allows the Dragons to get loose for now and be out of control for part of next season while there's a White Walker war. Things have been going according to plan too much in season 6, so I suspect the usual GRIMM twist to be a big one, and this is one of them that seems most likely to me. I think this is the episode 9 moment of next season, not how to last only 10 minutes in the throne written by Cersei.

I think this is just live viewing. With HBO Go/Now and DVR, Battle of the Bastards hit 23M viewers so I assume the finale got even more.

GoT can't really get the amount of viewers that Walking Dead gets, because AMC is included in most basic cable packages so it already has a larger pool of people that can watch it.
Can someone mail this finale to the Walking Trash boardroom and show them how close out a season properly?

By the way, heard some people saying that Jon and Sansa find out they're cousins, they might hook by the end of the series. Weird yes but fuck it, I'm ain't mad at that for this world. In all honesty, at least one of them will die by the end of the series.

Ydelnae

I also think Daenerys is going to die, but she will die fighting the WW. And when the Westeros army finds out about her death, everyone will yell "all hail the true queen of westeros!" and that will be the resolution of her arc.

That would make the total running time even longer than a normal season which is precisely the opposite of what they want to do.

Fliesen

What if....

Maybe the reason the night king hasn't come, is that he needs a vessel, and Jon, having been resurrected, might serve some specific requirements.

I'm not saying it's gonna happen, but it would be a typical "i think i've figured it out now.. Wait WHAT!?" game of thrones twist.

i was thinking about something similar. Like the Lich King in Warcraft / World of Warcraft. Someone has to be the Night King and control the undead scourge.

The whole "winter is coming" motive of repeating cycles might enable this kind of resolution. Like "the one" in the matrix being the one who restarts the cycle after the machines destroyed the human city.

fake edit: now that i think about it, we've learned that those wood ladies created the Night King ... so scrap that idea.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dany will be integral in defeating the Night King and it will cost her the throne, her dragons, probably her life, to bring her arc of sacrifice to completion as she gives up the one thing she's been working towards for a greater good.

Jon will live through the whole ordeal but be too broken by the end of it to rule, or simply chose to remain King of the North, or wanders off into nothingness.

King's Landing will be eviscerated, the iron throne destroyed, and any semblance of full ruler of Westeros reduced to dust. Effectively returning Westeros to a pre-Targarian invasion state. Lannister family name will be powerless. Jamie kills Cersei.

A dragon will die in trying to take the iron isles. It will be a lame fight because nobody gives a fucking shit.

Sansa will kill Littlefinger.

Bran will warg a dragon, possibly to prove to the aforementioned Dany that her dragons have better uses. Will die or become one with the trees by the end.

Ayra will die, but not until she kills numerous people on her list.

The reason is having programming all year round. HBO wants two more years of Game of Thrones because it's the biggest show they have and they want it to continue for as long as it can. The writers have indicated they feel there are only about 13 more episodes they can produce given the content they have in mind. So in a situation like this, HBO will want two shorter seasons, rather than one longer season. A longer season does them no good at all, since it would just be a few more weeks of a year. Two seasons will give them two years of Game of Thrones, even with a few weeks less per year. That's how the programming business works.

Exactly.

It means people have to keep their HBO subs another year. Also hopefully means they get more money per episode if the budget doesn't change.

Shortened seasons are a bummer, but if they keep the quality up....should be pretty great.

i was thinking about something similar. Like the Lich King in Warcraft / World of Warcraft. Someone has to be the Night King and control the undead scourge.

The whole "winter is coming" motive of repeating cycles might enable this kind of resolution. Like "the one" in the matrix being the one who restarts the cycle after the machines destroyed the human city.

fake edit: now that i think about it, we've learned that those wood ladies created the Night King ... so scrap that idea.

I know they created the white walkers, but are you sure they created the night king too ?

What if....

LOL what?

He's not a ghost he has a physical form. He hasn't gone south because of the magic of the wall preventing him from crossing. This theory is fight club Arya level.

Yes that was him being created in that scene. Same actor for the character.

It might have been the same actor but it's not exactly the same character. This Night King isn't the first one, there have been others before who were killed.

Though seeing the Night King has the ability to turn human babies into White Walkers with a simple touch, I suppose it's safe to assume the first White Walker was also a Night King.

Vengal

It would be funny if it went down exactly like how lichking did. They fight in the north and eventually wild fire is used and John gets caught in it. Arya has already killed the red priestess so no one can raise him. Bran makes him into a walker and he becomes the new night king leading all the rampaging undead to the north.

New theory John snow= lava man

HvySky

I'm not taking the magic keeping him out kinda bullshit tho.

It's weird.

I'n pretty sure It was already established that some kind of magic was used in the construction of the Wall. Obviously that magic is meant to prevent the White Walkers from breaching it. I imagine Bran will cross the Wall while marked, allowing the Night King and his posse to follow. He has a reputation to uphold, after all:

local-man-ruins-everything.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The White Walker plot arc seems straight down the middle of the road to me at this point (not in a bad way, mind you), in that the specifics have been outlined. Children of the Forest created the Night King and the White Walkers as a means of fighting man. They're essentially a super weapon out of control. Either the Children of the Forest or men of the old world built the wall and imbued it with magics (maybe related to the Red Priestesses) to keep the Night King out. But it was never a guarantee.

I dunno. Wall goes down, Night King comes through, kills stuff. I find the back story revelation a bit dull and boring to be honest.

Why did Bran go right to the Tower of Joy vision when he had the chance? I can see the interest in finding out, but why was it so urgently relevant to their current issue?

HvySky

Is there any chance we get some more insight into the Night King aside from his initial creation? Up until Hardhome the White Walkers and their undead army seemed like little more than mindless killing machines; an undeniable force of nature. Showing they have a leader in the Night King (who also has close ties to the Children of the Forest) implies there's more to them.

I wanna hear the Night King's side of the story! Maybe the Children were dicks.

Edit: I guess the Night King was technically around in the earlier seasons, but they've definitely given him more of his own identity.

Why did Bran go right to the Tower of Joy vision when he had the chance? I can see the interest in finding out, but why was it so urgently relevant to their current issue?

I was under the impression that he can't control where the visions take him. It's all dependent on what tree he makes contact with. That tree was the same one Jon swore his vows in front of hence why Bran went back to the tower of joy.

duckroll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es9Q81MwPkQ

Remember this scene though? I wonder if we'll ever see them take the fight beyond the Wall, and into the White Walkers' territory instead. Everyone keeps thinking about them coming into Westeros, but the production design of their "fortress" there and the weird stuff like the altar for the baby, and the circle of White Walkers seem to suggest more to it. Would be weird if we never see any of it again.

Maybe after the initial incursion, they get pushed back in a big war, and the Night King retreats to the fortress and they have to march into uncharted territory to finish the fight?

Up until Hardhome the White Walkers and their undead army seemed like little more than mindless killing machines; an undeniable force of nature. Showing they have a leader in the Night King (who also has close ties to the Children of the Forest) implies there's more to them.

Watch the video I linked. That was way back in Season 4. It clearly indicates they have leadership, intellect, and some sort of fortress.

HvySky

Remember this scene though? I wonder if we'll ever see them take the fight beyond the Wall, and into the White Walkers' territory instead. Everyone keeps thinking about them coming into Westeros, but the production design of their "fortress" there and the weird stuff like the altar for the baby, and the circle of White Walkers seem to suggest more to it. Would be weird if we never see any of it again.

Maybe after the initial incursion, they get pushed back in a big war, and the Night King retreats to the fortress and they have to march into uncharted territory to finish the fight?

Watch the video I linked. That was way back in Season 4. It clearly indicates they have leadership, intellect, and some sort of fortress.

Yup, I just remembered that and edited my post a bit. I would love to see more of what their world beyond the Wall and Wildling territory is like. I'd just be bummed if they squander their potential in the end.

I was under the impression that he can't control where the visions take him. It's all dependent on what tree he makes contact with. That tree was the same one Jon swore his vows in front of hence why Bran went back to the tower of joy.

Ya true, was speculating the same, like maybe he has no control of where he goes. Still though, why start learning about the past instead of like finding an animal or something to warg the fuck out of there?

EatChildren

I miss ominous creepy old unexplained magics White Walkers and not tree lady super weapon White Walkers.

Neospartan

Neo Member
I think all 3 Lannister actors are renewing their contracts for both season 7 and 8. This means that they all survive, at least until season 8... Or their bodies do, like Jon.

Still, I think there will be some animosity between Jaime and Cersei, so he will get over his love for her and either abandon her or straight up betray her in a non-murdering way.

Yeah, Dany needs to get some big L, but I don't think she herself is going down. I say she attacks Tommen's Landing, loses the Unsullied, and one of her dragons shoots a fireball that ignites more wildfire and destroys at least the Red Keep. The Iron Throne is no more.

Up in the Riverlands Arya meets with the Brotherhood, which tries to recruit her for the greater war. She finally accepts that she has a big soft spot for Sandor and he does the same. They all go to the North, Arya only really going to say hi to her siblings and finally sleep in a familiar and comfy bed for a while. They meet Melisandre in the way. Flip a coin, Arya killing her has a 50% chance of happening.

Up in the North, Jon has no idea how to rule and Sansa becomes increasingly frustrated with him because he doesn't catch her hints that LF wants him dead. Eventually, Petyr moves and just as he is about to kill Jon he bursts into flames. The Lord of Light really doesn't want Jon to die. He goes to the Wall to visit and maybe he brings some resources with him. They tell him they've seen Bran and he hasn't left the Weirwood tree.

Jon goes beyond the Wall and Bran tells him everything. Jon doesn't believe half of it (me, son of Lyanna and Rhaegar? Pfff) and Bran tells him to go to Reed for confirmation. Bran says he is staying beyond the Wall unless he gets his marked arm severed, and Jon starts to doubt. Bran tells him about the magic of the Wall and how if he crosses it will come down.

Jon goes to Reed, he gets confirmation about his parents, and goes back to the Wall. He goes and cuts Bran's arm, his sword catches aflame and they go back. Little do they know, Jon cut too low and the Wall comes down anyway.

I keep seeing people saying that D&D/HBO are only doing a certain amount of episodes/seasons because "it's so expensive", but if it wasn't profitable then they wouldn't be doing anymore episodes at all, would they? I'm sure it's expensive making these large set pieces, but as GoT is one of the biggest shows on TV right now, surely they're making money?

I don't think it's about the money, I think it is indeed like they're saying: they don't want to have large amounts of padding/filler. After these last two seasons, I'd love some spin-off season(s) though. There are a lot of stories in this universe that they could expand upon.

mnannola

I keep seeing people saying that D&D/HBO are only doing a certain amount of episodes/seasons because "it's so expensive", but if it wasn't profitable then they wouldn't be doing anymore episodes at all, would they? I'm sure it's expensive making these large set pieces, but as GoT is one of the biggest shows on TV right now, surely they're making money?

I don't think it's about the money, I think it is indeed like they're saying: they don't want to have large amounts of padding/filler. After these last two seasons, I'd love some spin-off season(s) though. There are a lot of stories in this universe that they could expand upon.

I think you're right, how could they not afford to keep doing big shows? I would guess more than half their subscriber base subscribes at least in part for GoT? So it must be because they have 1.5 seasons worth of content, and they need to spread it out over two seasons to keep people subscribed for a little longer.

EatChildren

Best director gone, return of director responsible for the laughably awful Sand Snakes x Jamie fight.

Fuck.

Nameless

That's incredibly disappointing. Sapochnik is arguably responsible for the 3 best episodes in the series. I was scared Hollywood commitments would conflict with Thrones if that's indeed what happened.

Hopefully they get him back for the series finale. Alan Taylor coming back is encouraging, he's never made a bad episode, but both Mylod and Podeswa have been hit or miss.

HvySky

The part I liked about Bran's Tower of Joy visit this time around was Young Ned turned around, even though Bran didn't call out to him.

Lends more thought to the thought that he isn't 'changing' the past during these visions.

Really? I kinda read that as he's changed the past permanently.

It was discussed ad nauseam after The Door, but I don't think Bran is changing or has changed anything in the past. Everything that occurred (hold the door, Ned turning around) was always going to occur as it's a closed loop.

-griffy-

Banned

The "it's so expensive" thing isn't quite the whole story. They are maximizing their budget and time per episode to the point that producing 10 1-hour long episodes is as much as they can commit to and logistically pull off in a single year. And going forward, things are going to get bigger, which means more episodes of the caliber of Battle of the Bastards will be necessary, which means they'll need more money and time per episode to accomplish multiple episodes at that level in a year, which means if they do two shorter seasons they can devote extra time and budget on making the fewer episodes as big as they need to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom