• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT PART 2| Season 6 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Future

I think Cersei had come to terms with Tommen's fate. This season she seemed almost resigned to it, at least during their last interaction.

This whole plan was a response to tommens cercei sacrifice when he chose the faith and ruled out trial by combat. She was betrayed and felt less of tommen, and I think looking at tommens corpse sealed it. With Joffrey she was in tears and breaking down. With tommen she is cold and already preparing the next move

If tommen hadn't done that, then the mountain would have won the trial by combat and everyone would be alive. This was cercei backed into the corner, and she didn't care what the collateral damage was. Jaimie had a knowing look at the end

I feel like in a shorter Season 7 the show will still have a problem - mainly for us who talk about it on message boards rather than more casual viewers - with the White Walkers and Bran.

Imo it's safe to assume it is the CoTF's magic keeping the Walkers from heading south of the wall and Branded Bran would nulify that magic for them. Even if it's only a seven ep season I feel like having Bran twiddle his thumbs or Nights King do jack shit would just feel like we're waiting for things to happen.

It might not be immediately apparent with how much is gonna go down in King's Landing/Dorne neck of the woods but it'll be a tough balancing act. I can imagine Bran deciding to go south to tell Jon about his parentage, not to stirr shit up but out of brotherly compassion and thinking he needs to know. I somehow feel like The North wouldn't really care if Jon was a half-Targ, he fought for them and died for them and never abandoned them.

Then Jon would be all "Nice tattoo" and Bran would have some slow "Oh shiiiiiiiit" moment. It'll be intriguing to see what happens as it feels like this season has a few moments book readers may have wanted (Jedi Master Dayne vs Ned + Friends etc) but next season will be almost completely new stuff? I suppose Bran's other benefit of going south - even if he knows it would nulify the magics - would be that he's the only one who knows how the Walkers were created.

Maybe he'll also have a plot device vision of some massive cache of dragonglass/valyrian steel weapons.

AgeEighty

Loved this episode, loved this season.

Question: I watch this show and love it, but I watch it once, as it airs, so I can forget some details of earlier episodes - forgive my ignorance. But I think I'm missing some of the significance of the flashback to Jon Snow's birth. As far as I understand it, we learn who his mother is (although I don't remember who she is, would love it if someone could jog my memory), and we see her whisper his real (non-Snow) name, and Bran probably knows it now.

I would love it if someone could tell me if I'm missing something here and who his mother is. Like I said, I really like the show but I'm terrible at remembering some of the details. Might do a full rewatch before the next series.

That was Lyanna Stark, Ned's sister. The father was Rhaegar Targaryen, the son of Mad King Aegon and brother to Daenerys.

Someone should add this info to the OP in spoiler tags, since people keep asking about it over and over.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
16i4iq.gif

I wonder what she does to the next person on the list.

oti

Banned
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN what an episode.

The beginning with the music was a masterpiece.

But how did the bold guy teleport himself back?

Gibbles17

Question: I watch this show and love it, but I watch it once, as it airs, so I can forget some details of earlier episodes - forgive my ignorance. But I think I'm missing some of the significance of the flashback to Jon Snow's birth. As far as I understand it, we learn who his mother is (although I don't remember who she is, would love it if someone could jog my memory), and we see her whisper his real (non-Snow) name, and Bran probably knows it now. I don't think it's meant to be heard by the viewer but that might have been my tv.

I would love it if someone could tell me if I'm missing something here and who his mother is. Like I said, I really like the show but I'm terrible at remembering some of the details. Might do a full rewatch before the next series.

Jon's mother is Lyanna Stark, Ned and Benjen's sister. She was supposedly kidnapped by Rhaegar Targaeryen (the eldest son of the mad king and older brother to Dany) which triggered Robert Baratheon's rebellion (as he and Lyanna were betrothed). It's strongly hinted however that Rhaegar and Lyanna were in love and eloped, making him Jon's father and thus Jon the rightful heir to the iron throne.

Timbuktu

Jon's mother is Lyanna Stark, Ned and Benjen's sister. She was supposedly kidnapped by Rhaegar Targaeryen (the eldest son of the mad king and older brother to Dany) which triggered Robert Baratheon's rebellion (as he and Lyanna were betrothed). It's strongly hinted however that Rhaegar and Lyanna were in love and eloped, making him Jon's father and thus Jon the rightful heir to the iron throne.

Rhaegar was already married to Oberyn's sister right? So Jon would have their blood but would still be a 'basterd'. I don't think he gives two shits about the Iron Throne though, I doubt we would ever see him at King's Landing.

I didn't think Arya would know how to make a pie though.

Boem

That was Lyanna Stark, Ned's sister. The father was Rhaegar Targaryen, the son of Mad King Aegon and brother to Daenerys.

Someone should add this info to the OP in spoiler tags, since people keep asking about it over and over.

Thanks! So Daenerys is actually Jon's aunt, hah.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
After the last two episodes, I'll say Miguel Sapochnik is definitely leading the running for directing the series finale of Game of Thrones.

After Hardhome, it seems like they made him their go-to guy for when they REALLY need an episode to be amazing. It'll be a spoiler when we see him directing an episode cus we'll know crazy awesome shit if about to go down.

televator

Question: I watch this show and love it, but I watch it once, as it airs, so I can forget some details of earlier episodes - forgive my ignorance. But I think I'm missing some of the significance of the flashback to Jon Snow's birth. As far as I understand it, we learn who his mother is (although I don't remember who she is, would love it if someone could jog my memory), and we see her whisper his real (non-Snow) name, and Bran probably knows it now. I don't think it's meant to be heard by the viewer but that might have been my tv.

The location of this event is the Tower of Joy. A property of the then royal family of Targeryens. The woman who birthed Jon is Lyanna Stark (Ned's sis), who was there because she eloped with prince Rhaegar Targaryen. She became pregnant with his child. Meaning Jon being considered a bastard is perhaps the biggest irony of the show, because he has the strongest claim to the iron throne by blood. He has the oldest line of Northern kings in Westeros by the Starks and the line of kings who conquered all of Westeros by the Targaryens.

He is ice and fire manifest. His identity needed to be kept secret because Lyanna was originally arranged to marry Robbert. Once Robbert killed Rhaegar and Jaime killed the mad King, Robbert took the throne and he and Lannisters were dead set on killing all Targaryens left who could claim the throne. Jon being a Targaryen is why Lyanna begged Ned to promise to protect Jon's real parentage. Plus Robbert was madly in love with Lyanna. If he found out about Jon, he would stop at nothing to personally brutally murder him.

Gibbles17

Rhaegar was already married to Oberyn's sister right? So Jon would have their blood but would still be a 'basterd'. I don't think he gives two shits about the Iron Throne though, I doubt we would ever see him at King's Landing.

I didn't think Arya would know how to make a pie though.

Was going to say I couldn't remember if Rhaegar and Elia were married or betrothed but come to think of it, Elia had children who were murdered by the Mountain, so I think you're right and they were. And agreed that Jon wouldn't want the throne but I'm still convinced he and Dany will marry. Like someone else mentioned a few pages back, they set up for it with her conversation with Daario this ep, Targaeryens routinely married relatives, etc.

Is next season supposed to be the last season? The way the finale built up, I get the feeling it is.

Nah 2 more. Next season will for sure tie up all the human drama. You will probably see the end of Lannisters, Dany conquering Westoros, and the rise of the White walkers.

And season 8 is the last chapter of this story. Humans vs White Walker.

duckroll

They Varys teleport thing confuses me. Am I missing something in the timeline?

It's quite clear to me that this episode alone spanned many months. We have to account for Dany's fleet being prepared for travel, which would have taken weeks at that scale. King's Landing would have to be cleaned up and made relatively stable after the opening events before Cersei could be crowned in a ceremony. Jaime would have taken weeks to return from Riverrun. It would also have taken weeks to gather all the Northern Lords back into Winterfell for that meeting. So between all that, I think there's room for the meeting at Dorne to have taken place shortly after the opening events, and Varys would have returned immediately after to bring word of the alliance being sealed. Remember, the show has repeatedly shown that the less cock you have, the faster you travel, so that isn't a big issue for Varys.

So pure dumbassed/casual fan/only-watched-the-show endgame theory from me:

- Dany marries Euron, takes his fleet
- Euron is double-crossed by Dany and killed because after all she had a deal with the other Greyjoys
- Cersei is killed by Jaime as Jon and Dany comes full force to King's Landing, echoing the Mad King situation
- Littlefinger tries to kill Jon, Sansa has a crisis of trust and possibly dies along with Littlefinger in the fray
- Jon and Dany* marry and unite forces against the dead using Dany's dragons to produce dragonglass
- Somehow during this fight it becomes clear that they're going to lose and Bran has to do some kind of assist with his time-visiting and interfere
- I have no idea what the hell Arya does other than cross more people off her list.

* = Hey, incest is pretty common in this show, if indeed R+L=J

Boem

The location of this event is the Tower of Joy. A property of the then royal family of Targeryens. The woman who birthed Jon is Lyanna Stark (Ned's sis), who was there because she eloped with prince Rhaegar Targaryen. She became pregnant with his child. Meaning Jon being considered a bastard is perhaps the biggest irony of the show, because he has the strongest claim to the iron throne by blood. He has the oldest line of Northern kings in Westeros by the Starks and the line of kings who conquered all of Westeros by the Targaryens.

He is ice and fire manifest. His identity needed to be kept secret because Lyanna was originally arranged to marry Robbert. Once Robbert killed Rhaegar and Jaime killed the mad King, Robbert took the throne and he and Lannisters were dead set on killing all Targaryens left who could claim the throne. Jon being a Targaryen is why Lyanna begged Ned to promise to protect Jon's real parentage.

Thanks! I love how it's all coming together.

- Euron is double-crossed by Dany and killed because after all she had a deal with the other Greyjoys
- Cersei is killed by Jaime as Jon and Dany comes full force to King's Landing, echoing the Mad King situation
- Littlefinger tries to kill Jon, Sansa has a crisis of trust and possibly dies along with Littlefinger in the fray
- Jon and Dany* marry and unite forces against the dead using Dany's dragons to produce dragonglass
- Somehow during this fight it becomes clear that they're going to lose and Bran has to do some kind of assist with his time-visiting and interfere
- I have no idea what the hell Arya does other than cross more people off her list.

I can totally see Cersei turning into The Mad Queen now. The events of this episode might just have pushed her over the edge.

Spladam

So many characters were baller as fuck in this episode. And the music? God damn. Brilliant.

The Music!! Glad you mentioned it, so good.

After the last two episodes, I'll say Miguel Sapochnik is definitely leading the running for directing the series finale of Game of Thrones.
I really hope he takes the helm in season 7, the best I've seen in the entire series.

Thanks! So Daenerys is actually Jon's aunt, hah.
Didn't even think of that, good one. Oh man, poor Jon Snow, he can't get a break...

They Varys teleport thing confuses me. Am I missing something in the timeline?
Lots have complained about this, and there is much fussing over the teleportation, but we are loosely led to believe some time passes in the end of this episode, like Jamie making the trip from the crossing all the way to King's Landing. I would think there were some deleted scenes that also demonstrated a passing of time, but they did throw that at us in a somewhat questionable manner.
Thanks! I love how it's all coming together.
I can totally see Cersei turning into The Mad Queen now. The events of this episode might just have pushed her over the edge.
She is indeed the Mad Queen now, she even scared the crap out of Jamie.

It's quite clear to me that this episode alone spanned many months. We have to account for Dany's fleet being prepared for travel, which would have taken weeks at that scale. King's Landing would have to be cleaned up and made relatively stable after the opening events before Cersei could be crowned in a ceremony. Jaime would have taken weeks to return from Riverrun. It would also have taken weeks to gather all the Northern Lords back into Winterfell for that meeting. So between all that, I think there's room for the meeting at Dorne to have taken place shortly after the opening events, and Varys would have returned immediately after to bring word of the alliance being sealed. Remember, the show has repeatedly shown that the less cock you have, the faster you travel, so that isn't a big issue for Varys.
Ah yes that makes sense. It just seems like an awkward cut without showing him in between his two appearances. Although I suppose there wouldn't be much to show.

Monocle

I couldn't stand it. That kind of shit drives me fucking bonkers.
Same here. I watch most things alone now just because I can't stand how people's short attention spans manifest in the most obnoxious possible ways. If you don't have the discipline to sit down and have an experience, why even bother?

Posted these in the other thread but might as well share them here too.
<snip>
Wonderful. Good direction makes all the difference.

Spladam

Yeah, this. That's what I meant to say, hahaha. Well explained though.

Cersei is terrifying now. She has no children left living to anchor her humanity, and the amount of death and destruction she just unleashed is unconscionable for normal people. Mad Queen fo sho. Entertaining as hell though, in a sick way I was kinda rooting for her.

Spladam

Cersei is terrifying now. She has no children left living to anchor her humanity, and the amount of death and destruction she just unleashed is unconscionable for normal people. Mad Queen fo sho. Entertaining as hell though, in a sick way I was kinda rooting for her.
Just the way she was dressed was terrifying, mad props to wardrobe for throwing her dark goth revenge dress together, she very much looked the part.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

Everything but Dany marrying Euron seems plausible. Dany is already crossing the seas, what would she need Euron's ships for? I fully expect Eurom to team up with the Mad Queen Cersei though, and I'm expecting Little Finger to be involved on her team as well.

Just the way she was dressed was terrifying, mad props to wardrobe for throwing her dark goth revenge dress together, she very much looked the part.
She did, and I can't wait for her to drop her debut EP, it's gonna be goth as hell

Everything but Dany marrying Euron seems plausible. Dany is already crossing the seas, what would she need Euron's ships for? I fully expect Eurom to team up with the Mad Queen Cersei though, and I'm expecting Little Finger to be involved on her team as well.

I think she's gonna need a bigger fleet; she just has the Greyjoy fleet that they escaped in.

I do hope you're right about more forces coalescing around Cersei because otherwise it's not gonna be much of a fight at King's Landing. She has just about zero friends left.

finowns

Dorne being ruled by bastard kinslayers, and a woman that isn't even a bastard Martell, made me think this season was going to be bad but I was wrong. Some cool stuff happened.

Sheroking

Maaaannnnn... Littlefinger must have the baby dick.

Would explain why he keeps getting rejected and prefers the company of prostitutes.

THCnuw.png

Amazing episode! Music of the first section was outstanding. These last episodes were really great and I liked every moments of them.
I don't remember about Arya Vs Jaime. Does she want to revenge him for something or not? It's only Cersei that remains on the list?
About Varys teleportation, maybe he rides one of the dragons to go everywhere! lol

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Lady Mormont is gonna have a lot more scenes in the next season since everyone fell in love with her.

Timbuktu

Unless Dany is fighting Euron, which I guess would be Yara and Theon's plans, is there another effective navy at Westoros since Stannis' got blown up at Blackwater?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom