• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT PART 2| Season 6 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Objectively I know it was a great episode, particularly the composition of the initial King's Landing material, but the way they played off Margaery feels really rotten. I understand the irony and all that, but they spent so much time building her up, that killing her off in that way, where she knew what was up, but fell victim to some lame logjam barricade at the last minute is just awful. Yeah, GoT loves to twist the knife, but just... Ugh. Olenna best get her revenge, and plenty of it.

Also, I am not the least bit interested in any sort of Jon/Sansa drama, so let's please avoid that.

ASIS

The music in this ep was so good! Why wasn't it that good all season?

Try watching the pilot after this episode. You will be shocked at how inferior the music was back then. Actually everything was inferior but the music stuck out like a sore thumb.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Anyone else get choked up when Dany made Tyrion her Hand of the Queen? It felt so good to see Tyrion finally get the respect he is due and for him to actually care about someone enough to bow to them. Amazing scene.

I also choked up a bit when Jon kissed Sansa in the forehead, this whole episode had tons of great and touching scenes.

Monocle

Objectively I know it was a great episode, particularly the composition of the initial King's Landing material, but they way they played off Margaery feels really rotten. I understand the irony and all that, but they spent so much time building her up, that killing her off in that way, where she knew what was up, but fell victim to some lame logjam barricade at the last minute is just awful. Yeah, GoT loves to twist the knife, but just... Ugh. Olenna best get her revenge, and plenty of it.

Also, I am not the least bit interested in any sort of Jon/Sansa drama, so let's please avoid that.
Yes to all of this. As much as I liked the concept of Cersei's grand move, it was extremely disappointing to see Margaery (and to a lesser degree Loras) go out that way. So much potential snuffed out just like that. I was positive she was going to have a much bigger part to play beyond the immediate King's Landing drama, and now this. Thankfully Olenna wasn't caught up in that mess. Can you imagine?

Jon and Sansa should remain allies to the end. There's nothing satisfying about Starks against Starks. It should be Starks (and their subjects) against the world, if anything, since the series started with them being ravages by other houses' power games.

Anyone else get choked up when Dany made Tyrion her Hand of the Queen? It felt so good to see Tyrion finally get the respect he is due and for him to actually care about someone enough to bow to them. Amazing scene.

I also choked up a bit when Jon kissed Sansa in the forehead, this whole episode had tons of great and touching scenes.

Yes, fantastic moments.
Both them, and especially the Dany/Tyrion one, Tyrion's reaction was so good.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The music in the season finale was superb. It really stood out.

I didn't see Arya with the mask coming at all. I was starting to think we wouldn't see her for the rest of the season.

Things wrapped up how I expected, but it was all very satisfying. Cersei is ruthless, but I'm betting she doesn't last long now. Where does her character go from here? Seems like a downfall is the only option.

Monocle

Yes, absolutely. Especially the first one. Tyrion finally got recognized in a way that suits his merits. His reaction sealed it.

The music in the season finale was superb. It really stood out.

I didn't see Arya with the mask coming at all. I was starting to think we wouldn't see her for the rest of the season.

Things wrapped up how I expected, but it was all very satisfying. Cersei is ruthless, but I'm betting she doesn't last long now. Where does her character go from here? Seems like a downfall is the only option.
Agreed on all points.

I don't see Cersei surviving the next season.

This is the guy that raped he way through like every inn he went to, wonder if Qyburn made any adjustments to his tool while he was at it.
Poor lady wishes to die in the wildfire than this! :D

-----------------

I really cannot see how Dany will ever find out that Jon's family.

A few posts above!

I wonder if Dany will try burning Jon with the dragons only for him to come out unscathed. Assuming the assumptions are true of course.

Spladam

Objectively I know it was a great episode, particularly the composition of the initial King's Landing material, but they way they played off Margaery feels really rotten. I understand the irony and all that, but they spent so much time building her up, that killing her off in that way, where she knew what was up, but fell victim to some lame logjam barricade at the last minute is just awful. Yeah, GoT loves to twist the knife, but just... Ugh. Olenna best get her revenge, and plenty of it.

Yes to all of this. As much as I liked the concept of Cersei's grand move, it was extremely disappointing to see Margaery (and to a lesser degree Loras) go out that way. So much potential snuffed out just like that. I was positive she was going to have a much bigger part to play beyond the immediate King's Landing drama, and now this. Thankfully Olenna wasn't caught up in that mess. Can you imagine?

Jon and Sansa should remain allies to the end. There's nothing satisfying about Starks against Starks. It should be Starks (and their subjects) against the world, if anything, since the series started with them being ravages by other houses' power games.
That's crazy, they killed a character we've become invested in! Seriously, again, a character I thought for sure had much more story to run...

It's so great to see house Stark rising up from the grave though, King in the North!

Prediction, Little Finger makes a move on Jon and Arya kills him. Our little ninja Assassin has come such a long way... can't wait to see her exploits next season. She's a bit psycho now, yes?
I don't see Cersei surviving the next season.
Oh, Arya has her number, mark my words.

I was surprised, as I thought she had more to do too. I also figured she'd atleast try to punch or kick one of the dumb-asses blocking the way. The way she went out was very GoT though.

I think Olenna will indeed get some sweet revenge thanks to and for Margaery though.

Completely agree. Like Monocle just said, "Jon and Sansa should remain allies to the end. There's nothing satisfying about Starks against Starks. It should be Starks (and their subjects) against the world, if anything, since the series started with them being ravages by other houses' power games."

I was surprised, as I thought she had more to do too. I also figured she'd atleast try to punch or kick one of the dumb-asses blocking the way. The way she went out was very GoT though.

I think Olenna will indeed get some sweet revenge thanks to and for Margaery though.

Completely agree. Like Monocle just said, "Jon and Sansa should remain allies to the end. There's nothing satisfying about Starks against Starks. It should be Starks (and their subjects) against the world, if anything, since the series started with them being ravages by other houses' power games."
I feel like too much was sacrificed so they could have their "Cersei is the Queen" moment, something you can tell they've wanted for a long time, but that still could of been achieved with Margaery surviving via some clandestine escape. The fact they just had her stand there at the end felt really out of character. Yeah, I'm bitter about it, but it feels like a huge waste of a character they've been maticulousky developing.

As for the Starks, any time spent on any sort of succession squabble just feels like needless meandering.

Monocle

That's crazy, they killed a character we've become invested in! Seriously, again, a character I thought for sure had much more story to run...
Way to reduce the point to a lame generality. Margaery was more interesting than the likes of Robb or Renly. Her death should have been in a context as personal as that pair's, rather than a mass bombing that would have substantially moved the plot forward even without her presence.

Spladam

As for the Starks, any time spent on any sort of succession squabble just feels like needless meandering.
You guys talk of drama, but Sansa seemed genuinely pleased about the whole King in the North thing. I think that look at Little Finger was her fearing what he might do now that Jon is the man, and not him.

Way to reduce the point to a lame generality. Margaery was more interesting than the likes of Robb or Renly. Her death should have been in a context as personal as that pair's, rather than a mass bombing that would have substantially moved the plot forward even without her presence.
I was joking, I agree, I think this is kind of part of a trend of dumbing down the plot a bit. Her end should have been of a more personal nature, I thought she was going to secure the throne, after her little meeting with her mother. The "bombing" was a bold move, and shocked the crap out of me though, so, wow. When Cersei asked about "if the secret is true", I figured it was about the wild fire, but I thought she was going to attempt to burn it all, like the mad king.

The location of this event is the Tower of Joy. A property of the then royal family of Targeryens. The woman who birthed Jon is Lyanna Stark (Ned's sis), who was there because she eloped with prince Rhaegar Targaryen. She became pregnant with his child. Meaning Jon being considered a bastard is perhaps the biggest irony of the show, because he has the strongest claim to the iron throne by blood. He has the oldest line of Northern kings in Westeros by the Starks and the line of kings who conquered all of Westeros by the Targaryens.

He is ice and fire manifest. His identity needed to be kept secret because Lyanna was originally arranged to marry Robbert. Once Robbert killed Rhaegar and Jaime killed the mad King, Robbert took the throne and he and Lannisters were dead set on killing all Targaryens left who could claim the throne. Jon being a Targaryen is why Lyanna begged Ned to promise to protect Jon's real parentage. Plus Robbert was madly in love with Lyanna. If he found out about Jon, he would stop at nothing to personally brutally murder him.

The Song of Ice and Fire.

It's all about Daenerys and Jon.

duckroll

It's a mass bombing intended to kill all of Cersei's enemies, her included. The reason she was there in the first place is because she was plotting against Cersei and this was all part of their game. She lost. It is personal.

You guys talk of drama, but Sansa seemed genuinely pleased about the whole King in the North thing. I think that look at Little Finger was her fearing what he might do now that Jon is the man, and not him.

Exactly my take on it as well.

It's gonna be Sansa vs Littlefinger in the plotting/mindgames department. She knows what he's thinking when she looked at him.

Rur0ni

That was the best episode of the series. Last episode was good (especially the direction, etc), this was masterful. Everything came together. Amazing how this TV show can shit on movies. And goddamn, Cersei dressed like an end-game boss. Respect. Music, cinematography, pacing, acting, wardrobe, everything has been on fucking point. As much as folks crap on some of the weaker episodes, it's consistently my favorite show on TV. Each episode where "nothing" happens, something is happening.

Going forward I'm curious about:

* Littlefinger movements.
* Dany and Jon interaction.
* Jamie and Cersei.
* Jorah and Dario.

Some thoughts:

I like how Jamie and Cersei both owned their love for one another in the last few episodes. Both of their lines about the other were just so raw and "who's gonna check me, boo?"

Clearly the Lannisters will be outnumbered. Not sure how that ends for them. Feels like Jamie and Cersei will die together.

I just don't see Littlefinger being a small potatoes player. He's a spoiler, he's gonna disrupt something eventually, to some amount of success.

Jon being plot armored was pretty obvious for some time now, even when he "died" because of the red woman setup was lined right up. Took the tension out. Finally wrangled the "Okay, so he's a Targaryen." Bran knows, will spill the beans later.

Jorah will play a part for sure. I don't see Dario taking this breakup lying down either. The way he settled with it, and Dany was all "meh" after. Isn't she supposed to be betrayed by "love" eventually? This might be how she ends up dead, that one last twist.

Monocle

I was joking, I agree, I think this is kind of part of a trend of dumbing down the plot a bit. Her end should have been of a more personal nature, I thought she was going to secure the throne, after her little meeting with her mother. The "bombing" was a bold move, and shocked the crap out of me though, so, wow. When Cersei asked about "if the secret is true", I figured it was about the wild fire, but I thought she was going to attempt to burn it all, like the mad king.
Yeah, Margaery at least should have rivaled Cersei for longer, and met her face to face again.

Regarding the wildfire, I thought the same thing. The focused nature of the attack was a huge shock.

It's a mass bombing intended to kill all of Cersei's enemies, her included. The reason she was there in the first place is because she was plotting against Cersei and this was all part of their game. She lost. It is personal.
I got that, but still... It was so engaging to watch Margaery manipulate her way through different situations. I wanted more.

KarmaCow

Was Cercei moved by Tommen's suicide? She didn't want him to die but she seemed to accept what she had done pretty quickly. It made her defiantly sitting the throne while people in the crowd awkwardly watch in fear was great. A broken Cercei who lost everything but has ultimate power (for now) is an amazing end point for the season. Pretty much everyone where they are at the end of the season was a perfect tease for a season finale.

televator

I just remembered that "Lady Mormont" is actually "Lyanna Mormont." Specifically named after... Jon Snow's mom. She was the one who gave him King status. There's some poetry in that.

FeD.nL

Was Cercei moved by Tommen's suicide? She didn't want him to die but she seemed to accept what she had done pretty quickly. It made her defiantly sitting the throne while people in the crowd awkwardly watch in fear was great. A broken Cercei who lost everything but has ultimate power (for now) is an amazing end point for the season. Pretty much everyone where they are at the end of the season was a perfect tease for a season finale.

I think she had basically given up on him when he chose for the faith.

She accepted that he was going to die, because of the prophecy and that is why she was considerably less moved by him dying as opposed to her other children. And in a way she had already mourned him when she was preparing to kill him during the battle of the Blackwater.

Speely

Banned
Holy hell what a good episode. I actually teared up many times, and not because anything was specifically sad, but just at the perfect execution of some of the big resolutions I have been waiting for (and some I didn't expect at all.)

Dany and Tyrion made me gush. How was that scene THAT touching?

Jaime returning to Cersei's inaguration. Yikes. Bigtime Galactic Empire feels, obv.

Melisandre's misfortune and exile. How dare you make me feel conflicted about a shadow-demon-spawning child killer. (Really thought Davos would be more vengeful here, but I am glad he wasn't.)

But most of all... Ned holding baby Jon. Fuck you, Game of Thrones. Fuck you for making me a powerless crybaby.

So many other little touches that were masterful. That was easily some of the best stuff I have ever watched.

nubbe

Yeah, Margaery at least should have rivaled Cersei for longer, and met her face to face again.

Regarding the wildfire, I thought the same thing. The focused nature of the attack was a huge shock.

I got that, but still... It was so engaging to watch Margaery manipulate her way through different situations. I wanted more.

Well, I suppose that life is irregular

Corpekata

Banned
Margaery dying was sort of needed just to give that scene some bitterness for viewers. Everyone else that died was sort of a nobody (in terms of character, not importance) or easily hateable like all the religious fundies. Needed for the right mixture of that righteous vengeance tempered by the fact she also stole away an interesting and likeable character.

Not to mention most of the rest of the story just doesn't work with her survival (No easy route to throne for Cersei, no easy alliance from the Tyrells with Dany, Tommen might have not committed suicide if she had lived, etc).

televator

Gonna be weird when he marries someone with his mother's name.

Marry? What? Noo... really? I can't see Jon doing that... I think. Besides, there's little strategic value in that arrangement. She had... what was it? 64 men to send into battle. They're probably all dead.

It's going to weird when Jon marries his own cousin or aunt or whatever. As Danny and Jon have the highest strategic benefit in one another as things are right now.

Sober

Sooo... I guess that popular theory about the High Sparrow being Howland Reed doesn't matter anymore, does it? Also, Howland didn't go up into the tower of joy based on Bran's vision.
This is like the equivalent to 9/11 truthing, how is Howland Reed being the High Sparrow even allowed to be a theory that exists?

itschris

If anyone wanted to listen to the music from the beginning of the episode, here it is:

Light of the Seven

I really loved this one, definitely a contender for best episode in the series! And the whole King's Landing sequence at the start was incredible.

Do you guys think the banks will make an appearance next season? It seems like they have a ton of influence.Then again Daneareys has dragons so I guess it doesn't mean much?

Sparrow slowly realizing he got played like a fiddle, too good.

I would hardly call that being played like a fiddle, like I would hardly call a man that has been cornered and decided that his way out was brutishly bashing their brains out with a club as having played them like a fiddle.

Cersei blew up an entire block out of a city, that got to be the less intellectual form of solving a problem to date on this show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom